3.95 gpa, 519 mcat school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Beefy Lion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am white and an Illinois resident. I made a thread with prelims for the mcat but now I have my actual score:

519 (98%)
Chem/phys: 131 (99%)
Cars: 126 (70%)
Bio: 131 (99%)
Behavioral: 131 (98%)

Both science and cumulative gpa are 3.95

Work/activites (worried about this section):
-Undergrad research assistant, 2 semesters (450 hrs). No publications or anything special
-Volunteering at hospital, 4 semesters (140 hrs)
-Non-clinical volunteering (50hrs) at memorial foundation
-Tutored high school students (35 hrs)
-Intramural sports (35hrs)
-Summer job as camp counselor for 3 summers, about 440hrs a summer
-shadowing (35hrs)
-Hobby= fitness training (1200hrs of exercising) additional 100hrs of training/mentoring others.

I'm looking to apply to like 20 schools, so far I have done secondaries for:
Tufts
Rosalind franklin
Boston univeristy
Tulane
Rochester
Tufts
Iowa

Would also like to apply to:
Miami
Keck
Northwestern
Illinois

I need help with my schools list, since I have weak ECs I don't know how high I can reach. Thanks in advance @Goro @gyngyn @gonnif

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're fine for any school. The tippy top might be a stretch but you've got as good a shot as anyone else. Definitely apply to Illinois. I'm not super worried about your ECs as long as you have something to talk about and cam demonstrate in your secondaries and interviews why you want to go into medicine.

Your ECs are solid; nothing that really stands out, but still well rounded. Your current list is pretty good, you can add those schools you are considering.

I'd also look into: Loyola, Rush, UChicago, Einstein, Hofstra, NYU, Sinai, Cornell, Emory, Case Western, Pitt,

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine for any school. The tippy top might be a stretch but you've got as good a shot as anyone else. Definitely apply to Illinois. I'm not super worried about your ECs as long as you have something to talk about and cam demonstrate in your secondaries and interviews why you want to go into medicine.
Cool. So I probably don't have any business applying to like harvard, duke, or any Cali schools besides USC?

Your ECs are solid; nothing that really stands out, but still well rounded. Your current list is pretty good, you can add those schools you are considering.

I'd also look into: Loyola, Rush, UChicago, Einstein, Hofstra, NYU, Sinai, Cornell, Emory, Case Western, Pitt,
I'll add Loyola, rush, Pitt forsure. You think I have a shot at Uchicago and case?

I'll add Loyola, rush, Pitt forsure. You think I have a shot at Uchicago and case?

Yeah I'd say you have a shot with a ~37/3.95. Sometimes its best to apply to a gamut of top schools and see which ones bite.

Reactions: 1 user
You should apply to some in the top 20. Your stats are pretty solid and at the end of my junior year if I end up close to those stats, I definitely would

Sky's the limit for you Dan.

Consider:

Rosalind Franklin
Boston univeristy
Tulane
Rochester
Iowa
Miami
Keck
Northwestern
Illinois
IU OR OH State