3.96 GPA, 31 MCAT, Reapplicant advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bdDOC71

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I also posted this in the WAMC forums. Really looking for some feedback so I can make sure my second time applying is my last time applying!

I'm a MN resident who initially applied for the entering class of 2014 with these same stats. I applied to 7 schools (completed secondaries mid-October) and received 2 interviews. I don't believe my interviewing skills were the reason for the rejections as I felt fairly comfortable in both but I could be wrong.

My ECs were similar last cycle but with fewer hours (especially medically related volunteering).

• Hospice house volunteer (100+ hours)
  • Run a weekly program at a local Boys & Girls Club (150+ hours)
  • NCAA DII athlete (4 years) (Capitol One Academic All-American, DII National Champion)
  • Various volunteering associated with athletics (25-30 hours)
  • 50+ hours of shadowing physicians of various disciplines
  • Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC)
  • Pre-Med Club
  • Recently started as volunteer research assistant in the med school associated with my undergrad institution
I was initially a computer science major, hence my delay in starting medical volunteering and shadowing. I am now planning to graduate this spring with a biology/chemistry degree.

With my commitments to athletics and other organizations I didn't believe I had time for research during most of my undergraduate career if I wanted to maintain my high GPA. Trying to find opportunities during my final semester of college proved difficult as well. It is still up in the air about to what extent I will be able to be involved with the one research opportunity on campus I did find.

I plan to apply as early and as broadly as possible this time around. Will this along with some extra hours and limited research experience be enough with my current application? Any help with some target schools? Maybe some that are less research based due to my lack of it? (If there is such a thing) Is it worth it for me to retake my MCAT? I was moderately disappointed with my score but I know it's at least competitive.

First Cycle School List

• Minnesota (Twin Cities campus only)
  • Saint Louis
  • Medical College of Wisconsin
  • Creighton
  • Rush
  • Loyola
  • Iowa
I plan to add some DO schools this cycle as well. I would prefer to not fly all around the country for interviews due to my financial situation but a few would be okay.

Any input about schools or thoughts on new experiences to add would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to more schools

Reactions: 1 users
Is it worth it for me to retake my MCAT? I was moderately disappointed with my score but I know it's at least competitive.
If you have reason to believe you'd get a higher score, then yes, it's worth it to retake.

I would prefer to not fly all around the country for interviews due to my financial situation but a few would be okay.
1. Apply to more schools than you think you need to.
2. Hopefully get more interview invites than you can afford to accept.
3. If you get bunches of invites, then accept the invites you want to go to, and turn the others down.
4. Be happy that you have the problem of finding $ to pay for med school interviews. This is a 4-figure expense; med school is a 6-figure expense.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A rejection after an interview indicates bad interviewing skills. Even so-so interviews lead to wait-list. Applying to 7 and getting 2 interviews is a very good yield. If I were you, I would apply to more schools this coming cycle. Also, be honest to yourself and work on your interview skills. It takes more than just the ability to say "hello" and "how are you?" to impress your interviewers. Be mindful of how you come across at interviews too. Every single word counts.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, you should apply to more schools this cycle. What are you doing for your volunteer research position? What schools were your interviewed at? You need to take a look at the schools that selected you for interview and how your application aligned with the personality of those schools. Then, what you should do, is identify more schools like those to increase your chances of the admit this time around. It's all about strategy at this point. -Admissions to Medicine

Here's my list of factors:
*timing: did you submit reasonably early, or did you get your application in just under the wire?
*too optimistic: you didn't apply to enough non-reach schools?
*scores: were your MCAT scores too low or the subscores out of balance? Consider retaking the test.
*gpa: either your Sgpa or CUMgpa too low. Should you consider a post-bac or applying DO instead?
*research: did you do any? Can you explain it?
*volunteering: did you do enough? both clinical and non-clinical?
*shadowing: did you shadow (most pre-meds shadow ~40-100+ hours)
*LoR: were your letter writers positive about you?
*interviewing skills: did you practice? Come across as yourself?
*personal statement/secondaries: did you have someone read these before you submitted? spellchecked, grammar mistake-free. Altogether, do they explain you adequately?

OP, looks like you were weak in several of those factors: timing, not enough schools, and no research. PLUS, maybe you should have practiced your interviewing skills. And with a very impressive gpa, I would have expected a much higher MCAT score. That makes me think your college/uni was generous with your gpa (which may not be true at all.)

It looks like your biggest issue was applying to too few schools and applying late.

Apply as early as possible and add more schools. I think you'll have a better cycle just by remedying those.
As for interview practice, I suggest setting up mock interviews with your college career center. Feeling 'comfortable' in an interview doesn't necessarily mean it went well.

Apply nice and early this time around. As a reapplicant, you'll need to also show how you've improved in the mean time.

I'm a MN resident who initially applied for the entering class of 2014 with these same stats. I applied to 7 schools (completed secondaries mid-October) and received 2 interviews. I don't believe my interviewing skills were the reason for the rejections as I felt fairly comfortable in both but I could be wrong.

Goro's list

• Minnesota (Twin Cities campus only)
  • Saint Louis
  • Medical College of Wisconsin
  • Creighton
  • Rush
  • Loyola
  • Iowa
DMU
MUCOM
CCOM
AT Still