MD 3.96 GPA 39 MCAT - International Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laureatebarrel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The season has come...
  • Southeast Asian
  • International Applicant
  • MD or MD/PhD
  • 24 yrs old
  • 3.96 cGPA
  • 39 MCAT (Last year)
  • Volunteer at two different hospitals, ~ 6 months/2-3 hours week per hospital. The first one was in cancer center, the other one (now) is in local ER ~ 150 hours.
  • Shadowed two doctors, one cardiologist for ~6-7 months (3-4 hours/week) and an orthopaedic surgeon for 1 week (4 days/all day) for total ~100 hours
  • Research: 1 year and probably continue until graduation. Various conferences and poster presentations. Hopefully publication next year. ~10-15 hours/week. Also my work experience since I got paid through a program. Also going to summer program research at UT Med school this summer.
  • Non-clinical volunteer/leadership: American Student Association President, Emerging Healthcare Leader vice-president, planning health fair events, doctor's panel, food drive, etc. ~ 2 hours/week (varied)
  • Other: Physics recitation assistant for two introductory physics courses, part of the international club on campus organizing major events.
  • Academic awards/scholarships

Although I am international applicant, most of my extended families have been living in US for many years. I was delayed in getting a green card, thus my international status which I hope should resolve itself next year. I do not want to delay my career any further because of this.

Tentative school list:
  • UCSF
  • Harvard
  • Duke
  • Yale
  • Emory
  • Stanford
  • UCLA
  • UC Irvine
  • University of Kentucky Med School (got connection with the admission there on a conference)
  • University of Texas Med School (my summer research school)
  • University of Washington
  • Georgetown
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • University of Michigan
  • Case Western Reserve
  • Vanderbilt
  • Jefferson
  • Weil Cornell
  • Tulane
  • Drexel
Suggestions/ideas? I don't know which school is international-friendly...

Members don't see this ad.

Buy an MSAR and find out about schools that take int apps. you have killer stats. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The season has come...
  • Southeast Asian
  • International Applicant
  • MD or MD/PhD
  • 24 yrs old
  • 3.96 cGPA
  • 39 MCAT (Last year)
  • Volunteer at two different hospitals, ~ 6 months/2-3 hours week per hospital. The first one was in cancer center, the other one (now) is in local ER ~ 150 hours.
  • Shadowed two doctors, one cardiologist for ~6-7 months (3-4 hours/week) and an orthopaedic surgeon for 1 week (4 days/all day) for total ~100 hours
  • Research: 1 year and probably continue until graduation. Various conferences and poster presentations. Hopefully publication next year. ~10-15 hours/week. Also my work experience since I got paid through a program. Also going to summer program research at UT Med school this summer.
  • Non-clinical volunteer/leadership: American Student Association President, Emerging Healthcare Leader vice-president, planning health fair events, doctor's panel, food drive, etc. ~ 2 hours/week (varied)
  • Other: Physics recitation assistant for two introductory physics courses, part of the international club on campus organizing major events.
  • Academic awards/scholarships

Although I am international applicant, most of my extended families have been living in US for many years. I was delayed in getting a green card, thus my international status which I hope should resolve itself next year. I do not want to delay my career any further because of this.

Tentative school list:
  • UCSF
  • Harvard
  • Duke
  • Yale
  • Emory
  • Stanford
  • UCLA
  • UC Irvine
  • University of Kentucky Med School (got connection with the admission there on a conference)
  • University of Texas Med School (my summer research school)
  • University of Washington
  • Georgetown
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • University of Michigan
  • Case Western Reserve
  • Vanderbilt
  • Jefferson
  • Weil Cornell
  • Tulane
  • Drexel
Suggestions/ideas? I don't know which school is international-friendly...

Would just say that MD/PhD probably isn't a likely route based on your limited research. I am under the impression that, at the least, a year of lab work outside of college or a 1st author pub are needed to be competitive (especially given the "name" schools at the top of your list)

Would just say that MD/PhD probably isn't a likely route based on your limited research. I am under the impression that, at the least, a year of lab work outside of college or a 1st author pub are needed to be competitive (especially given the "name" schools at the top of your list)

I only consider MD/PhD route for one school since they accept int students there. Most likely I am staying on MD track.

On my MSAR report it says that they do. Where do you get the information? Can you please post a link?

That information is listed on their admissions requirements page on their website

On my MSAR report it says that they do. Where do you get the information? Can you please post a link?
Go to the acceptance information tab and you will see a single MD/PhD matriculated at Houston. None of the 5 others I checked appear to have interviewed any internationals. Go through all of them, though, there might be another one.

Here is my new list of 29 schools using MSAR:
Albert Einstein
Boston
Case Western
Duke
Emory
Geisel
George Washington
Harvard
Howard
Sinai
Jefferson
New York University
Northwestern University
Oakland
Penn State
UPenn
St. Louis
Stanford
Tulane
UCSF
U of Hawaii
U of Kentucky
U of Pittsburgh
U of Virginia
Vanderbilt
Washington U in St. Louis
Wayne State
Weill Cornell
Yale

What do you think of my list? Even though I really like to apply only 20-25 schools I feel that I need the extra to be on the safe side.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many schools want international students to prepay all four years of tuition by having money in an escrow account, which can be >300k.

http://wusmfinaid.wustl.edu/how-to-apply/doctor-of-medicine/international-students/

Not sure about your family finance but if you can't come up with the 300k, you can apply now buy if accepted into only MD, pray and hope that by July of 2015 your I-485 would be approved and you become eligible for federal loans.

Last edited:
I happen to know that your chances at UCSF are extraordinarily low. 1/202 last year...

My PI always insisted that I apply to the school since she did her PhD at UC Berkeley and she had one lab member interviewing there last year. I just love the school and its atmosphere there. Just a reach I put in and see what happen :)

My PI always insisted that I apply to the school since she did her PhD at UC Berkeley and she had one lab member interviewing there last year. I just love the school and its atmosphere there. Just a reach I put in and see what happen :)
We can all dream... And CA can use the donation, thanks.

Many schools want international students to prepay all four years of tuition by having money in an escrow account, which can be >300k.

http://wusmfinaid.wustl.edu/how-to-apply/doctor-of-medicine/international-students/

Not sure about your family finance but if you can't come up with the 300k, you can apply now buy if accepted into only MD, pray and hope that by July of 2015 your I-485 would be approved and you become eligible for federal loans.

I don't know if you know that private loans do offer to international students with a US co-signer.

I don't know if you know that private loans do offer to international students with a US co-signer.

True... Idk much about bank's lending policies. lets hope they will lend you 300k in unsecured loans with a co-signer.

When you have a green card you will have a fighting chance. Good luck.

Thank you gyngyn. I understand what you mean, but I was supposed to have my green card 3 years ago. The two years break I had was in fact the waiting period of my life. I just cannot accept my life to be decided by others. I am not too worried if I have a chance at UCSF, just at least one school is enough for me.

True... Idk much about bank's lending policies. lets hope they will lend you 300k in unsecured loans with a co-signer.

From what I talked/discussed with the loan companies, they will issue a credit that ensures of the payment for whole four years. The loan however is year-by-year basis.

Thank you gyngyn. I understand what you mean, but I was supposed to have my green card 3 years ago. The two years break I had was in fact the waiting period of my life. I just cannot accept my life to be decided by others. I am not too worried if I have a chance at UCSF, just at least one school is enough for me.
What passes for immigration policy here often breaks my heart. You and all the people who are suffering through no fault of their own have my sympathies.

I was delayed in getting a green card, thus my international status which I hope should resolve itself next year. I do not want to delay my career any further because of this.

Not sure why you would limit your options and competitiveness due to a lack of patience over one extra year. Or is it an open-ended thing that can drag on many years?

Not sure why you would limit your options and competitiveness due to a lack of patience over one extra year. Or is it an open-ended thing that can drag on many years?

It is open-ended thing and the best you can have is an approximation. Basically they say that we will have our application completed but they don't know when. There is no guarantee on the progress also and it can retrovert to an earlier date as in 2011 when it went back two years without notice.

*Update School List
Albert Einstein
Boston
Case Western
Columbia
Duke
Emory
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Harvard
Jefferson
John Hopkins