MD 3.97 GPA, 30 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siffster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello SDN,

I just got back my MCAT score and was hoping to get some feedback regarding my situation.

White(Iranian), I'm 26 y/o. I moved to the U.S when I was 20.
UC, biology major, CA resident
GPA:3.97 cGPA & sGPA (First two years at a CC, but maintained the same GPA after transfer).

MCAT:
1st: 29 (11 PS/ 8VR/ 10 BS)
2nd: 30(11 PS/ 6 VR/ 13 BS)

Fluent in Farsi, Swedish, and English.

Work experience
1) PC shop in Sweden - I worked in a PC shop during my senior year in HS (6 months)
2) Art Museum in Sweden - Guide & sale (2 summers)
3) Macy's - During my freshman year in college. Worked as a recovery associate (5 months).
4) Research Assistant - My PI hired me as a research assistant after graduation so I could continue on my project (4 months)

ECs
1) 220~ hrs hospital volunteering(E.D)
2) 60hrs volunteering at a local public library
3) 100hrs volunteering at a local food bank
4) 2.5 years (summer included) cell bio research - No publications, but 1 presentation.
5) $1400 research-associated grants(SURP/UROP)

Shadowing: I shadowed a FM physician for about 40hrs.

Teaching
- Undergraduate trainer - As a senior undergrad, I was in charge of recruiting new undergrads for my own project. This included interviewing them as well as training them.
- Museum guide
- Organized study groups at my CC in both Ochem and Calculus I (Don't know if this counts since I was enrolled in the class myself)

Letters:
2 science, 1 non-science, my PI, volunteer coordinator. I never asked the doctor I shadowed for a letter, but I might be able to get one from her. I know that my letters will be strong because I know these people very well.

Personal Statement: I've been told that I write passionately and that my personal statement is good. Obviously I talk about my motivations to become a physician, but I also talk about my experience as an Iranian raised in Sweden and how it affected me. I'm not sure if people know much about Sweden besides their blonde, attractive girls, but being a foreigner, especially form the Middle East, is not really an advantage there. There has been a lot of tension over there for quite some time, and I talk about my experience

I also participated in a few clubs during college that I liked, but I'm not sure if I'm gonna put these on my app.

My biggest concern with my application is my low verbal score. I was happy with my first verbal score, but not with my BS score. For my retake, it was the exact opposite. I never scored below 12 in PS or BS on my practice exams, but my verbal always fell between 6-8. I'm debating whether I should take the MCAT again, but I'm not sure if I can score any higher on the VR section.

I'm going to apply to mostly lower-tier schools due to my MCAT score, but I'm not sure whether I will be screened out because of my low VR score.

I wouldn't mind applying DO either, but I've heard that a DO letter is required.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe 6 V is the section floor value at many schools. So, what specifically is your question? What schools have you researched? Are they schools that fit your interests and whose mission you fit?

My first question was regarding my low VR. I looked through the MSAR and made a preliminary list:

Albany medical college
Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
Boston University School of Medicine
Chicago medical school at Rosalind Franklin
Drexel University
Eastern Virginia Medical school
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
George Washington University School of Medicine
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Hofstra North Shore - LIJ School of Medicine
Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University
Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California
Mayo Medical School
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College
New York University School of Medicine
Ohio State University College of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
SUNY Downstate
Temple University School of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSD
University of Illinois
University of Miami
University of Vermont
Wake Forest School of Medicine

These were chosen mainly due to their OOS acceptance rate.

Any input on the school list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Before I do that, you should research the schools and make sure you have read, are interested in and fit the mission statements of each school. Then whittle down the number of schools accordingly. Once you have done that, post a list of schools that fit you as an applicant and I'll be more than happy to give you my feedback. Some things to consider other than the mission statement:
a) OOS preference (as you mentioned)
b) BS/MD program preference
c) Number of applicants (low-yield)
d) MCAT stats

Let me know when you've decided which schools fit your interests/will see you as a fit for their mission.

As for the VR, I would strongly suggest that you e-mail the schools you are interested in and ask them directly whether your score will cut it. Explain any external factors (e.g. ESL, if that applies to you) to see if that makes a difference in how they will perceive your score. Some schools, like I believe GWU, will take your higher score in each section, rather than the higher composite score. Although GWU is a very low-yield school (nearly 14,000 applicants), I would keep it on your list for that reason.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm super fascinated with what's going on in Sweden right now regarding their immigration policies and I'd personally love to hear your story.

That said, if you really want to get in this cycle I would emphasize only the most accepting MD schools and DO schools. There are just too many extremely qualified applicants and (to be blunt) I think your money will be spent better elsewhere than applying to the UCs. Also, you don't need the letter of recommendation RIGHT NOW to apply to DO schools (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so I believe you can apply to them while you find a DO to shadow so you can get your letter. This seems like the correct play.

Goro suggests:

Any DO program (including mine)
Any New MD school

Albany medical college
Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
Boston University School of Medicine
Chicago medical school at Rosalind Franklin
Drexel University
Eastern Virginia Medical school
Hofstra North Shore - LIJ School of Medicine
Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University
Medical College of Wisconsin