3.97 GPA 33 MCAT Canadian applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mike wang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I would like to get some advice on my application.
- Canadian applicant, most secondaries submitted early August-mid August
-3.97 GPA, 3.96 sGPA, 33 MCAT (12 physics 7 verbal 14 bio)

EC's:
Clinical Research (200 hours)
Shadowing physician (200 hours)
Lab research with one pending pub (not first author, 500 hours)
Local poster presentation (first author)
Exec on multiple clubs
Some scholarships

These are the schools I applied to:
1) Boston U
2) NYU
3) Dartmouth
4) Cornell
5) Case Western
6) Yale
7) Columbia
8) Penn State
9) Vanderbilt
10) Mayo
11) Northwestern

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are 74 USMD schools that accept international students. You need to sample the stratum in which your MCAT is near the median.

My MCAT is slightly lower than the median MCAT average for most of the schools on my list but given the rest of my application, I'm wondering if I stand a chance at these schools, especially with my 7 in verbal :sick:

My MCAT is slightly lower than the median MCAT average for most of the schools on my list but given the rest of my application, I'm wondering if I stand a chance at these schools, especially with my 7 in verbal :sick:
The particular schools you have chosen (with one or two exceptions) are among the most selective in the nation and the world, even for overqualified US applicants. If you are to have any real chance, you need to focus on the schools that might interview you.

Reactions: 1 user
Unbalanced mcat, you should have added more midteirs and low tiers. Wayne state, Oakland, RFU, etc.

You made a poor list choice by only applying to reaches, but you may get some interviews

Reactions: 1 user
And Virginia commonwealth has interviewed handful of Canadians.