3.98/3.99, 32 --> 37 MCAT - Does First attempt preclude good schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ErinGoBragh109

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Removed following the receipt of good advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Aside from your first MCAT score, your application is very solid. Research schools will like your background.

You can average your two scores to get an idea of where you stand numerically.

Reactions: 1 user
Nice rebound on the second test, dude.

In my opinion, considering that you took your second MCAT quickly after the first attempt, schools will look past the first attempt. Get your app in soon, have a healthy amount of mid tiers and "safeties" as well as some of the big-names and I think you'll have a very successful cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice rebound on the second test, dude.

In my opinion, considering that you took your second MCAT quickly after the first attempt, schools will look past the first attempt. Get your app in soon, have a healthy amount of mid tiers and "safeties" as well as some of the big-names and I think you'll have a very successful cycle.
A series (even a pair) of MCAT's evokes a narrative in each evaluator. A list based on the average of the two is more likely to align with the range of interpretations.

Reactions: 1 user
A series (even a pair) of MCAT's evokes a narrative in each evaluator. A list based on the average of the two is more likely to align with the range of interpretations.

Thank you for your reply! I wonder if you could elaborate just a bit on what you mean. I understand, of course, that any poor exam performance is an issue that wont be ignored. I wonder if perhaps you might let me know how you would interpret it if you were reading my application file.

Basically, I would love to go to an institution that would make a career in academic medicine a viable option. I am particularly interested in Duke and Emory. Do you think that with an otherwise good application, I may be able to recover enough to at least be considered (as opposed to immediately screened out?)

Thank you again for any insight you are willing to share!

Thank you for your reply! I wonder if you could elaborate just a bit on what you mean. I understand, of course, that any poor exam performance is an issue that wont be ignored. I wonder if perhaps you might let me know how you would interpret it if you were reading my application file.

Basically, I would love to go to an institution that would make a career in academic medicine a viable option. I am particularly interested in Duke and Emory. Do you think that with an otherwise good application, I may be able to recover enough to at least be considered (as opposed to immediately screened out?)

Thank you again for any insight you are willing to share!
A single strong MCAT is always preferable to a stronger re-take. Neither of these scores is bad but the interpretation of the motivations for the re-take and how much the experience of the previous test contributed to the improvement on the second test can and will be idiosyncratically evaluated.

A single strong MCAT is always preferable to a stronger re-take. Neither of these scores is bad but the interpretation of the motivations for the re-take and how much the experience of the previous test contributed to the improvement on the second test can and will be idiosyncratically evaluated.

That makes absolute sense.

I am sorry to bombard you with questions (and understand if you do not have time to reply), but I wonder if you think that attempting to address this on secondaries that ask that I "address any issues that might be of concern to the admissions committee" by succinctly explaining that I had a momentary test anxiety that influenced my performance and that my retake was an attempt to make sure that my sub-scores adequately matched my skills in the subject matter is a good idea? I don't want to draw attention to test anxiety, as it is literally something I never experienced until that day and never impacted me which I hope will be clear from my consistent GPA, but I also don't want people to think I went in unprepared (I was averaging 12 in the PS section beforehand).

Thanks again!

That makes absolute sense.

I am sorry to bombard you with questions (and understand if you do not have time to reply), but I wonder if you think that attempting to address this on secondaries that ask that I "address any issues that might be of concern to the admissions committee" by succinctly explaining that I had a momentary test anxiety that influenced my performance and that my retake was an attempt to make sure that my sub-scores adequately matched my skills in the subject matter is a good idea? I don't want to draw attention to test anxiety, as it is literally something I never experienced until that day and never impacted me which I hope will be clear from my consistent GPA, but I also don't want people to think I went in unprepared (I was averaging 12 in the PS section beforehand).

Thanks again!
The only thing you can address explicitly is the motivation for the re-take. I don't recommend it.
I have never seen an explanation that changed anyone's opinion regarding a re-take of a good score. Everyone knows that you didn't like your first score, there is nothing more you can say, really. Those who are generous of spirit will presume you were sick for test #1. Those who are cynical will infer perfectionism.

The only thing you can address explicitly is the motivation for the re-take. I don't recommend it.
I have never seen an explanation that changed anyone's opinion regarding a re-take of a good score. Everyone knows that you didn't like your first score, there is nothing more you can say, really. Those who are generous of spirit will presume you were sick for test #1. Those who are cynical will infer perfectionism.

Thanks! I will keep this in mind!

I see how people might interpret re-taking a 32 as perfectionism, but in my mind (wrong though it often is), I would have assumed the 8 in PS would have precluded me from being taken seriously at many schools as it's below the 10th percentile. I was kind of under the impression that I would HAVE to take it again to make up for the 8, but might have left it to its devices had it been a 10/11/11 score. So, maybe this is just for my own curiosity, but could potentially be helpful to others -- when one single subscore is low, but the rest of the application is solid, would you recommend trying out an application cycle?

Thanks! I will keep this in mind!

I see how people might interpret re-taking a 32 as perfectionism, but in my mind (wrong though it often is), I would have assumed the 8 in PS would have precluded me from being taken seriously at many schools as it's below the 10th percentile. I was kind of under the impression that I would HAVE to take it again to make up for the 8, but might have left it to its devices had it been a 10/11/11 score. So, maybe this is just for my own curiosity, but could potentially be helpful to others -- when one single subscore is low, but the rest of the application is solid, would you recommend trying out an application cycle?
I recommend that you apply to enough schools that are likely to interview you. An 8 in single section is not screened out at any school I know!
There are plenty of schools (depending on your state of residence) that would have been happy to interview you with the first score. Now that you have them both, aim for schools whose medians are at the average of the two.

I recommend that you apply to enough schools that are likely to interview you. An 8 in single section is not screened out at any school I know!
There are plenty of schools (depending on your state of residence) that would have been happy to interview you with the first score. Now that you have them both, aim for schools whose medians are at the average of the two.

Thank you so much for your help -- I truly appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions. I will absolutely keep this in mind when I choose my list of schools next year :)