3.99 41 MCAT School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

after_the_flood

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bear with me here: I'm trying something new out:

Your Applicant Rating System Score is
S Tier
Apply to 22 schools
Apply to:
45% Category 1 schools
35% Category 2 schools
15% Category 3 schools
5% Category 4/5 schools
Do not apply to Category 6 schools
Do not apply to Category 7 schools

Category 1 (TOP): Harvard, Stanford, Hopkins, UCSF, Penn, WashU, Yale, Columbia, Duke, Chicago

Category 2 (HIGH): Michigan, UCLA*, NYU, UWash*, Vanderbilt, Pitt, UCSD*, Cornell, Northwestern, Sinai, Baylor*, UNC*, Mayo

Category 3 (MID): Emory, Case Western, UTSW*, UVA, Ohio State, USC-Keck, Rochester, Dartmouth, Einstein, Wake Forest

Category 4 (LOW): Stony Brook, Vermont, Rush, SLU, VCU, Creighton, EVMS, NYMC, Albany, Commonwealth, Florida IU, Loyola/Stritch, RFU, SUNY Downst, VA Tech, Loma Linda, Quinnipiac, Tulane, Oakland, Western MI, Cooper, Hofstra, MC Wisconsin

Category 5 (STATE): Your state schools if they do not appear elsewhere on this list - ALWAYS APPLY TO ALL OF THESE

Category 6 (LOW YIELD): BU, Brown, Georgetown, Temple, Jefferson, GWU, Drexel, Penn State, Tufts

Category 7 (DO): DO Schools

* indicates regional preference - do not apply to these schools if you are not in their preferred region

Note: Because I'm 1) bored 2) procrastinating 3) on a very long bus ride, I have decided to try and come up with a way for applicants to quickly categorize themselves and figure out which schools to apply to and in what proportions. This methodology takes into account all parts of an application that are immediately available and under an applicant's control. This system does not take into account subjective parts of the application such as the personal statement, letters of recommendation, secondary essays, or the interview. It is not meant to determine where someone will get in - it is to figure out how to optimally apply.

Anyone who decides to read this, please give me input as to 1) the distribution of schools, 2) the schools in each category, and 3) anything else you can think of. I'll make a thread with complete methodology later if people seem interested.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@WedgeDawg I of course think it's awesome!

I am interested in the methods for the applicant score. Clearly in this case @after_the_flood is unimpeachable numerically, and their activities look at least good to my inexpert eye.

What I really love are the school groupings. So long as these aren't confused with ratings of school quality, rather than selectivity, I think they provide a useful shorthand to those advising applicants.

This would all be easier if the MSAR were open access (and I mean legitimately, not bootlegged). The AAMC could improve the efficiency of applications with such a move. As it is, we need our own tools, like you've created.

Reactions: 1 users

I am interested in the methods for the applicant score. Clearly in this case @after_the_flood is unimpeachable numerically, and their activities look at least good to my inexpert eye.

What I really love are the school groupings. So long as these aren't confused with ratings of school quality, rather than selectivity, I think they provide a useful shorthand to those advising applicants.

This would all be easier if the MSAR were open access (and I mean legitimately, not bootlegged). The AAMC could improve the efficiency of applications with such a move. As it is, we need our own tools, like you've created.

I will be posting a thread soon with the complete methodology! (Figures included) I'll PM you the program code though, just in case you want to look through before I make the thread.

Reactions: 2 users
@after_the_flood My recommendation regarding your school list would be to swap out Albany, OHSU, Brown, and perhaps Mizzou, Arizona, and Penn State for more in Wedge's Category 3.

Are you from a Midwest state with a good med school or selection of them?

I will be posting a thread soon with the complete methodology! (Figures included) I'll PM you the program code though, just in case you want to look through before I make the thread.
Very cool stuff!

Also second the @WedgeDawg rank metric. It seems to be a much stronger version of the standard LizzyM score and helps provide a sharper school list.

Reactions: 2 users
You're golden; aim high.

Hi-

I'm looking for help on my school list and general application advice. More information on my app:

Phi Beta Kappa

Non-clinical Volunteering
120 hours at a low income clinic assisting with medical records, public health projects, and referral paperwork
~120 hours total through an "alternative break" program

Clinical Volunteering
~80 hours volunteering at a hospital with patient contact (actually went into patient rooms and chatted with them)
~75 hours volunteering hospice
~50 hours shadowing (hopefully around 75 by time of application)

Research
Been in same lab since Freshman year, now have leadership position in lab
Won several grants/fellowships
Posters+National conference (only undergraduate to present there)
Pending publication

Extracurriculars
tutored for a year
heavily involved with college radio (host weekly show, received an award for it)
some interesting hobbies that I can talk about in depth during interviews/application

Baylor
Case Western
Duke
Emory
Harvard
Mayo
Northwestern
Ohio State
Stanford
Tulane
Vanderbilt
Your state school, and those neighboring.
University of Arizona
Wake Forest
Washington University
Yale
Pitt
U Miami
Loyola
NYU
Mt Sinai
Hofstra
USC
Tulane
U Penn
JHU
Cornell
Columbia
U VM
U CO
U VA
U MI

You're golden; aim high.

One quick question about my stats- should I anticipate a large number of schools rejecting me pre-interview with the mindset that I'm a "low yield" applicant? If so, should I overcompensate by applying to a larger number of schools (25, 30??).

Thanks a ton

Schools like Drexel or Rosy Franklin will practice "yield or asset protection"; Suggest targeting schools whose median numbers are closest to your own.

I think Loyola, U Miami and Tulane would be worth trying if you want a "safety". Perhaps "reach" works downward as well as upward!

One quick question about my stats- should I anticipate a large number of schools rejecting me pre-interview with the mindset that I'm a "low yield" applicant? If so, should I overcompensate by applying to a larger number of schools (25, 30??).

Thanks a ton