MD 3.99 cGPA, MCAT 35. Which schools and chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

majeec

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats
Junior @ Penn State University
Biomedical Engineering Major
Cumulative GPA: 3.99 Science GPA: 3.99
MCAT: 35 overall (13 PS, 8 VR, 14 BS) *will this unbalanced score hurt me or raise flags?
PA Resident

Research
- Working in a biomedical engineering lab (expected 2 years)
*Hope to write a thesis on my research

Volunteer/Shadowing
- Shadowed physician part time past 2 summers
*Plan to do more shadowing these next two summers

Extracurricular Activities
- Global Medical Brigades (going on a volunteer trip to Panama)
- Engineering Design Lab Assistant (past 4 semesters)

I'd be interested to know what schools you guys think I should consider and what my chances would be at those places.

Members don't see this ad.

Without some honest-to-Gawd patient contact experience, your chances are not good. You need to demonstrate that you really want to spend the next 30-40 years being around sick people and that you know what you're getting into.

The medical missions don't count for much.

Stats
Junior @ Penn State University
Biomedical Engineering Major
Cumulative GPA: 3.99 Science GPA: 3.99
MCAT: 35 overall (13 PS, 8 VR, 14 BS) *will this unbalanced score hurt me or raise flags?
PA Resident

Research
- Working in a biomedical engineering lab (expected 2 years)
*Hope to write a thesis on my research

Volunteer/Shadowing
- Shadowed physician part time past 2 summers
*Plan to do more shadowing these next two summers

Extracurricular Activities
- Global Medical Brigades (going on a volunteer trip to Panama)
- Engineering Design Lab Assistant (past 4 semesters)

I'd be interested to know what schools you guys think I should consider and what my chances would be at those places.

Reactions: 1 users
Without some honest-to-Gawd patient contact experience, your chances are not good. You need to demonstrate that you really want to spend the next 30-40 years being around sick people and that you know what you're getting into.

The medical missions don't count for much.
I plan to get more clinical experience in the near future. How do you think the 8 in VR affects my chances at mid tier MDs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure volunteering opportunities exist at Mt Nittany. There's also a ton of nursing homes in the area to get some clinical experience.

Is it worth retaking the MCAT to try and boost my verbal and make my score more balanced?

Is it worth retaking the MCAT to try and boost my verbal and make my score more balanced?
That would be a red flag at many schools.

Reactions: 1 user
But don't most schools have a 9 as there floor? I don't want to restrict myself from school options if I could possibly do better
There are no schools that do not accept applicants with your scores (including the verbal).
We are far more averse to the qualities associated with such a re-take than we are to an 8 in verbal.

Reactions: 1 user