3.99 GPA, 30 MCAT but 8 VR. Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chives108

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
White male, FL Res
I have a strong application (clinical/nonclinical volunteer, shadow, research, good LOR)
Don't care so much where I go to school, just want to do MD.
3.99 GPA + 30 MCAT (12P/8V/10B). I am signed up to take the MCAT again soon but am second-guessing it. A 30 is fine with me, but I am worried about my 8 in VR holding me back.
School list:
All FL state schools + Miami
SLU
Albany
NYMC
Penn State
MC Wisconsin
Creighton
Gerogetown
PEN commonwealth
VCU
W. Michigan
GW
Vermont
Wake
My biggest concern is whether I should take the MCAT or not again just to get that one section up.
Advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same concern with my MCAT only my breakdown was 30 (8P/11V/11B). I decided against retaking because I knew if I got my PS up then my verbal would probably drop making it a wash. I would say only retake if you were getting much higher verbal scores on practice tests. I think verbal is the hardest section to raise.

I wouldn't be too concerned if I were you.

I looked at the MSAR, and for the FL state schools, except for UF, your 8 in VR still falls within the 10th to 90th percentile for that subsection. Be glad that you're a FL resident!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone think this score is unbalanced enough to loose me interviews?

You have a great GPA and if your app is as strong as you say it is I wouldn't worry too much about an 8VR

I received a 30 (11/8/11) as well. I currently am signed-up to re-take on June 21st. Honestly, it will depend on my practice tests to see if I go through with it or not.

Did you weigh out the pros/cons of re-taking? Was your 30 or that 8 in verbal a "fluke"? Did you have much higher averages? Statistically speaking, a 12 may be difficult to raise, but you could definitely raise your 10 in bio by a point or two!

Honestly if you could raise that MCAT up a few points to a 33+...it would open so many more doors for you. It seems like the 30 may be the weakest part of your app! But it's really up to you.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone! I think I'm just gonna stick with my score then. I could maybe get 1 or 2 points higher but probably not worth the risk

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone! I think I'm just gonna stick with my score then. I could maybe get 1 or 2 points higher but probably not worth the risk

I'm in the same boat as you were right now... did you end up retaking?

I have a very similar situation as you. Did you end up retaking it or did you apply? If you applied, did you get interviews or any acceptances? I would love to hear your advice.

Schools do tend to considering the verbal score as the most important part of the MCAT, but because of your other strengths, you should be fine... especially with the list you gave.

Apply smart and EARLY. Make sure your writing is meticulous and have it reviewed by faculty, mentors, friends and family. Very similar stats, and it seems a well written application can help. List looks solid, but I would apply to more schools. Better to have an all out effort in one go. Good Luck!