3.99 GPA, 41 MCAT and good research but limited clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3Pascals

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to MD schools with less clinical exposure than is desirable but an otherwise-strong resume (I think). I've learned enough from my clinical experiences (1 semester in ER and some shadowing) that I am confident I want to be a doctor, and hopefully will be able to convince medical schools of the same through my PS and interviews.

Nevertheless, I am aware that my limited experience will be a potential liability this cycle. How much will this hurt me? I am worried my list may be top-heavy, but at the same time, I am under the impression that upper-tier institutions may place more value on research and stats. Help forming a suitable list of schools would be very appreciated.

Brief run-down of my resume:
-math major at a top 20 university (rising senior)
-3.99 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA
-41 MCAT (14PS / 13VR / 14BS)
-Research: two fairly prestigious summer programs and two other research experiences (one summer gig, one during the school year at my university). All in comp bio or biostatistics.
-Other ECs are decently strong -- mainly music, tutoring, and sports, all with leadership positions, but nothing exceptional. A couple volunteer/service activities but this may also be seen as a weak point.
-Clinical exposure: one semester volunteering in an ER, 4-5 days of shadowing.

A tentative list of schools:
2 in-state safeties
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
USC
Vandy
Dartmouth
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Harvard HST
WashU
Mayo
Hopkins
UVa

How would you change or add to this list given my good stats + research but limited clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

That's not meant to be rude, and it damn well will surely come off as so, but come on buddy.

You're absolutely fine. Your chances are near 100%.

The stats and accomplishments you list are excellent and you say you need a little more clinical experience.

Get some :eek:...and get off here! :cool:

Best!

When applying to.such top schools quantity is a good thing. I would add more schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
When applying to.such top schools quantity is a good thing. I would add more schools.

Agreed. Your stats are incredible, but when applying the types of schools you are applying to, you never know. People close to you numbers get rejected from those types of schools every year.

I am applying to MD schools with less clinical exposure than is desirable but an otherwise-strong resume (I think). I've learned enough from my clinical experiences (1 semester in ER and some shadowing) that I am confident I want to be a doctor, and hopefully will be able to convince medical schools of the same through my PS and interviews.

Nevertheless, I am aware that my limited experience will be a potential liability this cycle. How much will this hurt me? I am worried my list may be top-heavy, but at the same time, I am under the impression that upper-tier institutions may place more value on research and stats. Help forming a suitable list of schools would be very appreciated.

Brief run-down of my resume:
-math major at a top 20 university (rising senior)
-3.99 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA
-41 MCAT (14PS / 13VR / 14BS)
-Research: two fairly prestigious summer programs and two other research experiences (one summer gig, one during the school year at my university). All in comp bio or biostatistics.
-Other ECs are decently strong -- mainly music, tutoring, and sports, all with leadership positions, but nothing exceptional. A couple volunteer/service activities but this may also be seen as a weak point.
-Clinical exposure: one semester volunteering in an ER, 4-5 days of shadowing.

A tentative list of schools:
2 in-state safeties
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
USC
Vandy
Dartmouth
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Harvard HST
WashU
Mayo
Hopkins
UVa

How would you change or add to this list given my good stats + research but limited clinical experience?
this can't be real life

Thanks for the feedback everyone; I'll focus on rounding it out with more schools.

Throw in Penn and Pitt

Any reason you suggest these two in particular?

I don't know why they suggested those schools particularly but if I were you I would add schools like Penn, Chicago and Michigan. Those schools give some amazing scholarships to people with your numbers. I'd also apply to Pitt because its a really great school!

I predict this will be a problem. I've seen plenty of posts here from people excatly like you who got plenty of interviews, and then plenty of rejections. You need to show AdComs that you know what you're getting into and your altrustic/humansitc side. 4.0 automatons are a dime-a-dozen. We want people who will make good doctors, not merely good medical students.

Thanks for the feedback everyone; I'll focus on rounding it out with more schools.

Any reason you suggest these two in particular?

I don't know why they suggested those schools particularly but if I were you I would add schools like Penn, Chicago and Michigan. Those schools give some amazing scholarships to people with your numbers. I'd also apply to Pitt because its a really great school!
Penn is a top 3 program and Pitt is top twenty. Neither are OOS-biased and Penn provides excellent financial aid.

I would second Penn and Pitt. Both are fantastics schools. And Penn gives monster financial aid even without the full merit scholarships.

But congratulations on the full tuition scholarship at WashU btw...

Thanks all -- so there are a lot of suggestions to increase the number of top-20 schools I'm applying to. In addition to this, are there any match/safety schools you all can suggest that might be a good fit?

I predict this will be a problem. I've seen plenty of posts here from people excatly like you who got plenty of interviews, and then plenty of rejections. You need to show AdComs that you know what you're getting into and your altrustic/humansitc side. 4.0 automatons are a dime-a-dozen. We want people who will make good doctors, not merely good medical students.

Thanks for the candid feedback -- yes, I've heard the stories of the 4.0/40+ kids who get rejected because they fail to show passion for medicine and service. Apart from talking about what I learned form clinical/volunteer experiences a lot in essays and interviews, is there anything you suggest I do to avoid that fate this cycle?

Thanks all -- so there are a lot of suggestions to increase the number of top-20 schools I'm applying to. In addition to this, are there any match/safety schools you all can suggest that might be a good fit?

bump

Start touching patients now. It's a seller's market for medical schools and they can afford to turn candidates like you away.

Thanks for the candid feedback -- yes, I've heard the stories of the 4.0/40+ kids who get rejected because they fail to show passion for medicine and service. Apart from talking about what I learned form clinical/volunteer experiences a lot in essays and interviews, is there anything you suggest I do to avoid that fate this cycle?[/QUOTE]

I agree with the advice to add more schools. I was a pretty similar applicant to you last cycle (though I wasn't as strong in research). I applied to six of the schools on your list, and of those, I only got into Wash U initially (and then UCSF off the waitlist). I also got into Michigan and Penn, two other schools that seem to like high-stat applicants. I would recommend adding those two to your list, at least.