(3) MCATS a deal breaker?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Georgie1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Georgie and I am a recent graduate. I'm about to enter a two-year TFA appointment, and would like to apply to medical school after that.

This is my MCAT history:

May 2012 25 (7/7/11V) (44-50th Percentile)
August 2012 25 (8/7/10V) (44-50th Percentile)
April 2015 516 (128-Chem/131-CARS/130-Psych/127-Biochem) (95th Percentile)

I have a 3.75 cGPA/3.60 sGPA and would like to matriculate to an Allopathic Medical School.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not qualified to answer this, but I would imagine someone might question why you decided to do a re-take so soon, especially since there was no improvement between the first two. the fact that you drastically improved your score the third time helps though.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't look good, but thank god you got a good score on the 3rd one.

You had time between, and you will have another year of experience before you apply. Your MCAT is great now and some programs love TFA. You should be fine.

Interested to see what some of the faculty members that frequent these forums have to say about this situation. Wish I could provide you some insight, but nonetheless, congratulations on the 516. Your persistence definitely paid off. In my opinion you shouldn't have a problem getting an MD acceptance somewhere.

Kind of in the same boat with multiple MCATs, but I think your last one is so much better than most applicants that it might really work towards your favor. But again, no set and fast rule with these multiple tests...

I don't think it's a deal breaker, I just think you need to explain that you didn't display great decision making in 2012. I would say something like "it's a good thing I didn't somehow make a better score on one of my first two attempts, because it would have cost me so many valuable lessons in patience and perseverance over these past three years." I would really explain how the past three years has grown you up, made you a better applicant, and will make you a better med student and doctor.

I would also focus my efforts on schools that are known for considering the best score, as opposed to averaging. Because the average is somewhere in the 28 range. And a 28 average on three attempts won't do you any favors.

Wondering what adcoms would do with a profile such as this @Goro @gyngyn @hushcom

The best strategy is always a single strong score.
Next, is a second set of scores consistent with success.
A third score should only be undertaken if there is no chance with the second score.
After that, the number of re-takes itself becomes a topic of discussion (not in a good way).

Reactions: 1 users
Most schools say that they superscore, and so if they do, you're in good shape.

I suggest:

U VM
U Toledo (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
Loyola
USF Morsani
Emory
BU
Mayo
Duke
Baylor
Case
JHU
Columbia

Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools.

Your state school(s).

Hello,

My name is Georgie and I am a recent graduate. I'm about to enter a two-year TFA appointment, and would like to apply to medical school after that.

This is my MCAT history:

I have a 3.75 cGPA/3.60 sGPA and would like to matriculate to an Allopathic Medical School.

I suggest:

U VM
U Toledo (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
Loyola
USF Morsani
Emory
BU
Mayo
Duke
Baylor
Case
JHU
Columbia

Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools.

Your state school(s).

Goro for the schools that superscore, I'm assuming they would just use percentiles if an applicant has taken the old mcat and the new mcat?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted with 3 MCATs and all the results were similar (and my last was a 26 again). Got into my first choice school which was my state school. So yes it is certainly possible.

Hello,

This is my MCAT history:

Very nice. Kinda like mine. lol.

June 20, 2013: 24 (8/6/10)
May 31, 2014: 26 (8/8/10)
June 20, 2015: 516 (128/129/129/130; 95%)

Yea I took it three times too. It was a subject of discussion during the interview. But it turned out alright. Apply broadly, interview well, and you should be fine

I suggest:

U VM
U Toledo (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
Loyola
USF Morsani
Emory
BU
Mayo
Duke
Baylor
Case
JHU
Columbia

Your state school(s).
As far as I know, none of these superscore.
Vanderbilt does, though.

As far as I know, none of these superscore.
Vanderbilt does, though.
Yeah I concur. In my research during this app season, most schools say they will take the highest/most recent, but seldom do schools say they will superscore. In fact, I only know of MCW, GW, & Vanderbilt.

Yeah I concur. In my research during this app season, most schools say they will take the highest/most recent, but seldom do schools say they will superscore. In fact, I only know of MCW, GW, & Vanderbilt.
I knew one of the George's did, I couldn't remember which.
MCW is completely believable.

I knew one of the George's did, I couldn't remember which.
MCW is completely believable.
Yeah MCW is pretty clutch when it comes to multiple MCATs.

I know this is anecdotal, and it's not always best to share anecdotal experiences, but two of the guys I completed my post-bacc with took their MCAT multiples times (1 of them took it 2x, the other 3x), and both matriculated to MCW. Now, they had solid scores in the end, and good GPAs.

But at least this proves that MCW is not as opposed to multiple exams as some schools may be.

One of my advisees told me that he researched this and found that Harvard and Loyola do as well. There were a few others, but I can't remember.

One of my advisees told me that he researched this and found that Harvard and Loyola do as well. There were a few others, but I can't remember.
Woah Harvard? Isn't that encouraging haha. Well OP, super scoring will not benefit you but I still think you should be good, at least at your state schools (depending on whether you have a good state...TX? VT? haha)

Since his first two MCATS are over three years old don't they expire anyways and don't get reported?

Did you guys completely change your approach when you sat for the new MCAT or what? Or is it just insanely different?

Since his first two MCATS are over three years old don't they expire anyways and don't get reported?

I was curious about this as well. I have an MCAT score that is over 10 years old (from 2005). I should have never sat for it, but since I had decided against med school at that point I just sat for it even though I was not the least bit prepared. Will schools see this score?

Did you guys completely change your approach when you sat for the new MCAT or what? Or is it just insanely different?

I could honestly see how someone could be vastly more successful on the new MCAT compared to the old. Its less minutia and things like research experience and liberal arts classes will actually help.

I could honestly see how someone could be vastly more successful on the new MCAT compared to the old. Its less minutia and things like research experience and liberal arts classes will actually help.
Huh, going to be really interesting in a couple years to see whether the new one improves on the old one's 0.6x step one correlation

Hopefully the next guide to using mcat in admissions will show some analysis of people like OP too, and whether mediocre performance on the old test had any predictive power on 2015 performance. Maybe some people that struggled on the old test will be encouraged to try again

Last edited:
I don't remember what the tens place digit was, it was in the range of .60-.69 though I'm pretty sure. .67 maybe?

Hello,

This is my MCAT history:

You'll be fine. Each school has their own policy. Some take the most recent score. Some take the best score in each section. Some take an average of all or recent attempts. You may be asked to explain why so many attempts.

I think you'll be fine if you apply broadly. Nice improvement.