3 options?

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by MeghanMD, 05.19.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. MeghanMD

MeghanMD 2+ Year Member

Ok so I'm a marketing major with an overall GPA of 3.4 and a marketing GPA of 3.9. I also have a psychology minor with a GPA of 3.6

When I started college I planned to be a biology major and only took 3 gen bio classes + labs and dropped gen chem. My sGPA is a horrifying 2.51. But, I want to go back to medicine and eventually med school

I'm graduating school in November and the way I look at it I have three options:

1) Finish biology minor (1/2 way there now, from Freshman year) and apply to do a post-bacc ideally at CU Boulder

2) Dump Bio minor and begin DIY post bacc at my university: Gen Chem, O Chem I, O Chem II this summer (3 weeks each), Gen Phys fall, winter, spring quarter, chem III fall quarter, calculus I winter quarter, and a few bio classes

3) Dump the bio minor, graduate with marketing major and psychology minor then start over in post-bacc for pre-med.

I volunteered at a local hospital for 7 years and I will probably do a little work in the psychiatric department this summer or as a marketing intern for a plastic surgery practice. I desperately need more ECs and Research for sure. I just don't know if I should do a DIY so I can apply sooner or just accept that if I get into med school I wont start until I'm 26.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. iRezaDH

iRezaDH 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You don't need a minor in biology to gain admissions all you need is 2 general biology courses. I think it would be best for you to graduate and start post bac. I don't get what the difference is between the 2nd and third option. You just need to finish the prerequisite courses for medical school, and obviously improve your sGPA. You definitely need to focus on doing good in the physical science classes because they will be on the MCAT.
  4. Hailstorm

Hailstorm 7+ Year Member

Nobody cares what your degree is in, or how many minors you have, but you need the prereqs, and you need to do well in them.

Since you're going to need gen chem->ochem->biochem you're looking at a fair amount of time.

About the ads