3 pre med questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSUkid

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just figured I want to go into dentistry. I have few questions
1. What is the science GPA and does it include math? Also is there a separate GPA like pre-req GPA? Please include ever detail.
2.Also I want to go to ohio state but there gpa average is 3.5 science and I can easily get that, but I hear dental school is very competitive, so explain if you can.
3. What exam do you take and what is out of and typically what Is the average , and competitive for dental schools.
I need these questions answered thank you if you respond .

Members don't see this ad.

You write you want to go into dentistry, yet you write "3 pre-med questions" for your title.

Considering you also wrote similar threads in the premed forums, I highly doubt it.

Reactions: 3 users
Dentistry used to be something that pre-med kids would do if they couldn't get into med school. Then all of a sudden people started realizing that there are better hours, job opportunities, etc in dentistry. I know lots of schools who don't seriously look at kids who are half hearted about dentistry or was a pre-med who was rejected and is only doing dentistry because it's "easier".

All of your questions are answered other places and on the website of the schools you're interested in. Don't expect many responses because most pre-dents want to see an effort in the questions people ask. Your questions don't show much effort at all.

I mean this with no offense. I'm a nice guy. There are just better places to find out the answers to your questions and it doesn't seem like you've put much thought into dentistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Average gpa of most applicants is a 3.9, 3.8 is acceptable but you're getting on the low side there.

2. The site says that to increase the amount of applicants, if you actually look at their stats, Ohio has a class with GPAs at about 3.85

3. We take the DAT. You'll want a 28 or higher on that to be competitive otherwise you should drop.

Reactions: 16 users
^oh gosh, I read #1, my heart dropped, and then I realized you're joking...

^oh gosh, I read #1, my heart dropped, and then I realized you're joking...

It's not a joke. My GPA is 3.91 and the adcom called me on Dec 1st was like "3.91 is a little lower than what we would like to see, but by law we have to accept you. So welcome to Harvard. I guess."

Reactions: 4 users
Like seriously.. Just try googling a little and you'll find a lot of this info...

The avg gpa is 3.5 because there may be people with lower GPAs but phenomenal DAT scores or extracurricular or service or shadowing activities. There's much more to an application than just the GPA

In all honesty, i think the tides have turned as to where med school is easier to get into now a days. So many more schools (my state for example has over 5 or 6 medical schools, in comparison to 1 state school and 1 private) make the chances a bit higher.

Do some research on your own but usually 3.5 is average but competitive is 3.7+. We take the Dental Admissions Test, spend a month or two studying for that. Research where you want to go and figure out the pre-requisites required. Math isn't included in sGPA, usually this only includes hard sciences such as Biology, Chemistry and, Physics courses.

In all honesty, i think the tides have turned as to where med school is easier to get into now a days. So many more schools (my state for example has over 5 or 6 medical schools, in comparison to 1 state school and 1 private) make the chances a bit higher.

Lol, no. Let's not get ahead of ourselves guys.

Reactions: 2 users
just stick to medicine. You'll be making bank during residency with cushy hours while your superhero like endeavors will be recorded and televised and everyone will glamorize you like House. Each and every one of your patients will be happy to see you and show you the utmost respect. Also, thanks to obamacare, reimbursement rates are projected to rise which means you'll be filthy effing rich by your mid 30s.

dentistry? pshhh don't bother. All we do is look at teeth all day

;)

Lol, no. Let's not get ahead of ourselves guys.
Just based on what I've seen from people going into medicine is all. Might not hold true everywhere, but just my observations, then again with only 2 dental schools and 6+ medical schools maybe i'm an exception, but purely based on numbers I believe it's easier. Plus in comparison of GPA (can't really compare tests as MCAT is completely different) dental is usually higher.

Do some research on your own but usually 3.5 is average but competitive is 3.7+. We take the Dental Admissions Test, spend a month or two studying for that. Research where you want to go and figure out the pre-requisites required. Math isn't included in sGPA, usually this only includes hard sciences such as Biology, Chemistry and, Physics courses.

Please don't veer the conversation to Med vs dent. I know you're making conversation but for some reason when a spark of this topic appears we all become uncivilized.

Reactions: 1 users