3 questions about prometric's break policy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Do you have enough time to chug down a drink and go to the restroom during the ten minute break? I know that you have to sign in and sign out with someone working there... I am worried that they will take a long time to check me out/in and that I won't be able to start the test on time.

2) Is the locker a combination locker or a key locker?

3) If you finish a section early, can you go on break before exiting out of the section?

Members don't see this ad.

It is a key lock and I had time to do both and you can only break when it says or if you wish to continue

1. You have time to drink/eat and go to the restroom. I did all 3 during the break. (And my people were pretty slow about check out).
2. Key locker, and you take your key with you into the room.
3. You have to click end, and then you can only have a 10 minute break. They make you sign in/ out with the time to make sure people aren't taking longer breaks.

1) Do you have enough time to chug down a drink and go to the restroom during the ten minute break? I know that you have to sign in and sign out with someone working there... I am worried that they will take a long time to check me out/in and that I won't be able to start the test on time.

3) If you finish a section early, can you go on break before exiting out of the section?
I specifically asked what happens when time runs out and they said nothing - It'll wait for you... Just don't take too long or they'll go looking for you lol. My proctors were really cool though...not everyone's is.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you finish a section a timer starts for 10 minutes and then after the 10 minutes it takes you to the next screen which gives you the description of the next section.

You're allowed to be on that page for a few minutes but the AAMC keeps track of how long it takes you to come back.

If it takes too long they have the right to void your test since you didn't follow the rules but most of the time nothing happens since pwop come back in the alloted time +/- a few minutes.

The time is for people who take 15+ minute breaks which would make the test unfair for other people taking it who take only 10 minute breaks.

I checked this all on wednesday, i let all my break timers run to zero. Just says you are out of time, obviously didnt stall after that, but it wont start with out you. I dont think the AAMC is trying to penalize someone if, for instance, the fingerprint scanner takes half a dozen scans to confirm your finger after you go to the bathroom, lol...

OK, I had a lot of questions on this and NOBODY would answer them, so let's see if we can get yours answered, OK? Qualifier, any and all answers are reliable only for my Prometric center, you should double check with your own.

1) Yes, you have time, and no, you won't have an issue if you're off by a few minutes.
2) Key locker - that way they can get the key back and reuse it. It'd be a useless locker if they handed out combos all day and never changed them, right?
3) Here's the tricky bit: breaks can only be 10min long, max. However, there is no limit to how many you can have. I asked in a lot of detail about this because I noticed that during my FLs I was finishing each section 15-20min early. I was hoping I could just stick that onto my 10 and have a nice, leisurely lunch, you know?

The deal is this: you can technically, once you answer all the questions, leave the section running and go on a 10min break. It'll automatically end section and go on break for you if, say, you only have 8min left. However, you would then have to come back to the proctor, sign in, and sign back out to have another 10min break section. The people at my test site were willing to do this, but honestly it just felt pointless so I just took a nap at my desk and then took my usual 10min, and then for the second one I just didn't bother - ended early, took the standard 10.

They won't rush you unless you're ridiculous. Plus, remember, if you're chugging water/eating, you're probably doing it from your locker right next to them. Keep your bathroom trip short and you'll be fine.

You can usually visit the test center a week before and inspect it. This is how my experience went:

1) Yes you have enough time for that.

2) Key,

3) Yes but it's unlikely that you will finish very early.

I just took a nap at my desk and then took my usual 10min, and then for the second one I just didn't bother - ended early, took the standard 10.

lol what!?!

I know you score super high but didn't you feel paranoid on the real thing (like quintuple check every single question)?

lol what!?!

I know you score super high but didn't you feel paranoid on the real thing (like quintuple check every single question)?
I don't double check, other than VR where I mark specifically the passages which would benefit from a second perspective. That is how I've always done tests...I either know 'em, don't know 'em, next. Agonizing over things doesn't help me figure them out; it clouds my thinking even more. Did the same for the SATs and all 10 AP exams (except for the SATs the damn proctor kept waking me up to 'help' me, making me wish to destroy her due to the terrible abdominal pain I was having/trying to block out by napping...for the APs the proctors knew me from classes and let me sleep).

Hell, on the FLs I was in too much of a rush to end the sections that I missed the 'you have unanswered questions' warning (crappy internet connection had dropped a few of my answers).

So we can stay at our test computers if we want and just put out heads down for 10 minutes??

Why not? They checked you when you went in, you had nothing on you. If you can spare the time, go for it.
Oh okay cool. I was just worried cause when I took my practice exams I did not leave my desk. I literally just stood up, stretched, and sat back down and waited for my ten-minute phone alarm to go off and start the next section.

Oh okay cool. I was just worried cause when I took my practice exams I did not leave my desk. I literally just stood up, stretched, and sat back down and waited for my ten-minute phone alarm to go off and start the next section.
Dude, at that point why even sit there for the ten min? That would drive me crazy.
I took some string cheese and some chocolate to eat at breaks. It's surprisingly stress relieving to peel a cheese stick as tiny as you can make it, and just one bite of chocolate is like an instant gratification/reward!

Dude, at that point why even sit there for the ten min? That would drive me crazy.
I took some string cheese and some chocolate to eat at breaks. It's surprisingly stress relieving to peel a cheese stick as tiny as you can make it, and just one bite of chocolate is like an instant gratification/reward!
Honestly,

I really suffer through bouts of anxiety and I try to stay away from food in such situations. My stomach gets upset and I have to use the restroom... and I prefer using my home restroom rather than public ones... so I try not to put myself in that situation. It may sound weird but its just a personal thing I guess.

Honestly,

I really suffer through bouts of anxiety and I try to stay away from food in such situations. My stomach gets upset and I have to use the restroom... and I prefer using my home restroom rather than public ones... so I try not to put myself in that situation. It may sound weird but its just a personal thing I guess.
That'll be fun on 12hr shifts...I mean, clearly don't tackle that issue during the MCAT, one thing at a time, but you should probably work on that at some point regardless.