3 rejections, no II, something wrong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got rejected pre interview. I did get a secondary, but never offered an interview. Snail mail rejection letter.
Oh okay, I thought you were rejected pre-secondary. I won't be of much help yet then as I am still waiting on II as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually am in medical school, and I could easily turn the argument and say you don't have any data for your claim; so try throwing rocks when you're not living in a glasshouse. Actually, you're making the initial claim (DO schools reject people that they believe can get into MD), so you need to produce evidence first.
I don't need to have evidence to have an opinion. You need to evidence to say "You are wrong," instead of "I disagree."

I don't need to have evidence to have an opinion. You need to evidence to say "You are wrong," instead of "I disagree."

Yes you do.... You declared something against the null, meaning the burden of evidence falls on you. Likewise you're not allowed to have an opinion without reasonable evidence and if you do not have it then it is to be dismissed as that is a rational behavior ( what are you? Are you an anti-vaxxer too?)
Your entire premise is that since 30% of med schoolers are non Sci it means they are not welcomed. Truth is that they're over represented because way more science majors apply. Truth is that as a non-science major you may have a higher chance of getting in than otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes you do.... You declared something against the null, meaning the burden of evidence falls on you. Likewise you're not allowed to have an opinion without reasonable evidence and if you do not have it then it is to be dismissed as that is a rational behavior ( what are you? Are you an anti-vaxxer too?)
Your entire premise is that since 30% of med schoolers are non Sci it means they are not welcomed. Truth is that they're over represented because way more science majors apply. Truth is that as a non-science major you may have a higher chance of getting in than otherwise.
You have misinterpreted what I am saying. Here is the data: ttps://www.aamc.org/download/321496/data/2013factstable18.pdf In MD schools approximately 35% of applicants are non-science majors. Their MCATS on average are higher than Bio majors, so they're no slackers. Among students admitted to MD schools, once again, non-science majors are approximately 35% of the cohort, so they don't seem to have an advantage or disadvantage in the selection process. But when I see a school where only 15-25% of admitted students are non-science majors, I get the idea that there is some significant discrimination going on regarding major. Non science majors represent about 12% of Bradenton matriculants. Perhaps Bradenton receives a much smaller proportion of non-science applicants than anywhere else. Or they may have decided that non-science majors are not as good a "fit." If someone can show me that only 12% of Bradenton's applicants are non-science majors I would be happy to concede that my hypothesis is wrong.

Last edited:
More data on the question of science vs. non-science majors and the impact on admissions to certain schools. AACOM groups majors differently from AMCAS. For reasons I don't comprehend, AACOM includes mathematics in "physical sciences." With that grouping, science majors represent 75% of last year's applicants to DO schools and non-science majors represent about 25%. Among last year's matriculants at DO schools, science majors are 77% and non-science majors 23% of the cohort. No big difference. But compare that with LECOM Bradenton, where only 12% of last year's matriculants were non-science majors. Half as many as the percent at DO schools in general. Hmmmmm....

More data on the question of science vs. non-science majors and the impact on admissions to certain schools. AACOM groups majors differently from AMCAS. For reasons I don't comprehend, AACOM includes mathematics in "physical sciences." With that grouping, science majors represent 75% of last year's applicants to DO schools and non-science majors represent about 25%. Among last year's matriculants at DO schools, science majors are 77% and non-science majors 23% of the cohort. No big difference. But compare that with LECOM Bradenton, where only 12% of last year's matriculants were non-science majors. Half as many as the percent at DO schools in general. Hmmmmm....

Maybe you ARE onto something. I was rejected from LECOM-B two days after I got the complete/processed email. This suggests that they saw something that really irked them. Possibly my extensive non-science background rubbed them the wrong way...

I have trouble believing that. The COMs are historically welcoming of non-traditional applicants, more so than MD schools.

Maybe you ARE onto something. I was rejected from LECOM-B two days after I got the complete/processed email. This suggests that they saw something that really irked them. Possibly my extensive non-science background rubbed them the wrong way...

That is a very weird standard where you have opinions based on nothing, but whatever floats your boat.

Guys, does AZCOM favor guys like me? I will be the three week mark by tomorrow, and I am hoping for an II from AZCOM.

Guys, does AZCOM favor guys like me? I will be the three week mark by tomorrow, and I am hoping for an II from AZCOM.
How bout you just block SDN for a week and calm down til you hit the month mark, then come back. I honestly think you're more anxious than anything and staying on SDN reading about everyone else who got interview invites is really not going to help.

Reactions: 5 users

you already have plenty of IIs... I thought you said you were going to stop...
You make people like me feel worse...

I was also rejected extremely quickly from KCOM. Stats are 3.1 uGPA, 3.8 SMP GPA and 38 MCAT. I also lived in St. Louis and had a LOR from a DO who graduated from KCOM. Silence from the other 2 DO schools I applied to.

Guys, I was complete at most schools I applied to in September but haven't got many IIs.
Any one know what is wrong with my application besides my miserable stats unlike Sean?
I know my letters are good and ECs are decent.
No IA though.
It's already been 3 weeks since my app has been complete.
Only 2 IIs so far, interviewed at one but most likely a rejection or wait list.

(It's a rhetorical question)

Good luck Sean

:smack::smack::smack::smack:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am optimistic towards NYIT-COM, TUCOM-CA, AZCOM, and maybe PCOM.

I was also rejected extremely quickly from KCOM. Stats are 3.1 uGPA, 3.8 SMP GPA and 38 MCAT. I also lived in St. Louis and had a LOR from a DO who graduated from KCOM. Silence from the other 2 DO schools I applied to.

That MCAT.......................just..........wow.....

I assume you applied to MDs as well?

yeah its hard to believe how some of these people are getting rejected from schools...while others with much lower stats are getting accepted.

My three rejections thus far have been from lower stat schools..my three ii's have been from higher stat schools... go figure.

Yep. Applied to 30+ MD schools, 3 II's so far.

nice...

38 is the stratosphere at the vast majority of MD schools as well. And even at the Hopkins, 38 is still well above average. How did you score that high?

How does someone with a 24, and mediocre other credentials, get an interview while people with 33 and 38 and no red flags get rejected?

I really question the intelligence of these schools sometimes. These are honestly about the best credentials a DO school can hope to catch, and they should be jumping at the chance to do so.

Last edited:
How does someone with a 24, and mediocre other credentials, get an interview while people with 33 and 38 and no red flags get rejected?

I really question the intelligence of these schools sometimes. These are honestly about the best credentials a DO school can hope to catch, and they should be jumping at the chance to do so.

Hope you all applied to my school.

Maybe numbers aren't everything that they see?
(Not saying he/she is a bad applicant. In general.)

Maybe numbers aren't everything that they see?
(Not saying he/she is a bad applicant. In general.)

I agree...there are a lot of people with low scores with amazing stories to tell in their personal statements and LORs, etc.

I only said there are people who get in with low stats so I can feel better about myself...

There are also people with high scores and amazing stories...

I am with user3... The whole thing is a random crapshoot

Well yeah, i'm sure there are too. I just meant that there are a diversity of applicants every cycle.....There could also be a person with a 35+ mcat score with a not-so-stellar personal statement, so I was just giving an example to what @iWillOneDay had to say (even if it was to make him/herself feel better lol). Btw I'm not saying that the people on this forum with high mcat scores didn't have great personal statements...it was just an example! :)

I'd like to think that there was a reason why the person with a 24 got an interview rather than thinking that its just a random crapshoot....lol
I think it all comes back to "looking at the whole applicant"/seeing if you are a "fit"for the school reasoning...

I also got rejected from both KCOM and Bradenton pre-interview but have 2 IIs to other schools so far... 30+ MCAT.

I also got rejected from both KCOM and Bradenton pre-interview but have 2 IIs to other schools so far... 30+ MCAT.

Thanks for sharing and congrats!

When were you complete?

I got rejected from those three schools and got an acceptance from my top choice! Don't sweat it, keep positive!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for sharing and congrats!

When were you complete?

Thanks you too. Early to mid September for secondaries. but I'm gonna probably do some more secondaries later. We will see.

A new week! I am hoping for 1-2 IIs this week. Crossing my fingers...

I'll be happy with 1 this month...

I don't even know how you afforded to apply to as many schools as you did if I were to be honest. Financial restraints were a big reason why I only applied to four schools

This week I'm going on month 2 of silence from half the schools I applied to.

Otherwise, 3 ii, 3 rejects.

I am getting worried for AZCOM. 3.5 weeks since completion. Sigh...

i can't even come in here. too depressing and anxiety-provoking about turning in my secondaries with lower stats.

For everyone here, keep your head up. I got a 27 then 26, 7 then 6 on verbal, english is first language, and i received 3 ii and 2 acceptances so far.
I thought going down in my mcat+such a low verbal score would keep me out, but it didnt. Just submit the app and dont doubt yourself.

For everyone here, keep your head up. I got a 27 then 26, 7 then 6 on verbal, english is first language, and i received 3 ii and 2 acceptances so far.
I thought going down in my mcat+such a low verbal score would keep me out, but it didnt. Just submit the app and dont doubt yourself.

Congrats. Do you mind sharing when you were complete/received IIs?

Congrats. Do you mind sharing when you were complete/received IIs?
I dont remember dates, but i do remember for lecom b it took a month after completion for ii, wvsom took about a week, and unecom took about two weeks.
So just because you dont hear back a day after it doesnt mean your rejected!

I dont remember dates, but i do remember for lecom b it took a month after completion for ii, wvsom took about a week, and unecom took about two weeks.
So just because you dont hear back a day after it doesnt mean your rejected!

Thanks. I am mostly anxious for TUCOM-CA, NYIT-COM, AZCOM, and maybe PCOM.

TUCOM-CA has almost been 3 weeks. NYIT-COM a month. AZCOM a month. PCOM almost a month.

Thanks. I am mostly anxious for TUCOM-CA, NYIT-COM, AZCOM, and maybe PCOM.

TUCOM-CA has almost been 3 weeks. NYIT-COM a month. AZCOM a month. PCOM almost a month.
ii come when you least expect them

This week I'm going on month 2 of silence from half the schools I applied to.

Otherwise, 3 ii, 3 rejects.

You guys are contacting these schools right? Make it clear you're interested and contact them either to check your status or update them on your ECs. Do it every few weeks or so (if you don't hear anything from them).

I'm pretty certain this helped in getting responses from a couple of schools a bit faster (with others it did absolutely nothing) when I applied a couple years ago. Some schools really care that you show interest.

You guys are contacting these schools right? Make it clear you're interested and contact them either to check your status or update them on your ECs. Do it every few weeks or so (if you don't hear anything from them).

I'm pretty certain this helped in getting responses from a couple of schools a bit faster (with others it did absolutely nothing) when I applied a couple years ago. Some schools really care that you show interest.
I met with the director of admissions (of a DO school) a few weeks ago during a skills lab I helped present on. I emailed him today thanking him for meeting with me and letting him know my app was in and was excited to here from him in the future

BTW he gave me his card.....so, i thought I would take advantage of it....thats why he gave it to me right :happy:

Last edited:
I met with the director of admissions (of a DO school) a few weeks ago during a skills lab I helped present on. I emailed him today thanking him for meeting with me and letting him know my app was in and was excited to here from him in the future

BTW he gave me his card.....so, i thought I would take advantage of it....thats why he gave it to me right :happy:

Hey, whatever you can do. That's how the system works. Just remember it when you are an attending and a kid comes to you asking for help applying to your alma mater.

I agree this person should've been granted an interview, but the rest of your post makes me want to argue with you so bad. This school turns out excellent physicians without having to fellate candidates purely on the basis of their stats. It raises the average a little, and what, you garner the respect of pre-meds? Whoopee.

And suddenly I remembered you and I have already walked down this path once so I'll stop.

As for the original post, I'll tell you that my rejections came in droves long before I started getting IIs so stay strong!

I agree this person should've been granted an interview, but the rest of your post makes me want to argue with you so bad. This school turns out excellent physicians without having to fellate candidates purely on the basis of their stats. It raises the average a little, and what, you garner the respect of pre-meds? Whoopee.

And suddenly I remembered you and I have already walked down this path once so I'll stop.
I would say a lot of it has to do with personality. Have you seen the personal statements some people write? They come off as pretentious d-bags.

Officially hit the 4-week completion mark today at my earliest schools. Still sitting on only one II.

Neuroticism's about to surge again...