3 rejections, no II, something wrong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is this post seriously still going?
Geez.... I'm sure OP has gotten the response he needs already.
Also, you already have an interview so be content and grateful without giving off the entitlement-vibe.
Lets make way for something else

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, you already have an interview so be content and grateful without giving off the entitlement-vibe.

Quite a few SDN users have asked me to report back/provide updates on II progress.

Reactions: 2 users
Quite a few SDN users have asked me to report back/provide updates on II progress.
Yes but you freak out about every single one. I had to wait eight weeks last year. I think you can handle four. The point isn't lack of update but that you are getting worked up about every single school. Focus on the ii you have now and prepare for them. There is no point to worrying about something you cannot change. Even if you get a reflection, so what? You can't take every rejection/potential rejection to heart

Members don't see this ad :)
Officially hit the 4-week completion mark today at my earliest schools. Still sitting on only one II.

Neuroticism's about to surge again...

one is better than nothing!!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes but you freak out about every single one. I had to wait eight weeks last year. I think you can handle four. The point isn't lack of update but that you are getting worked up about every single school. Focus on the ii you have now and prepare for them. There is no point to worrying about something you cannot change. Even if you get a reflection, so what? You can't take every rejection/potential rejection to heart

While waiting, do you think it is good idea to call the admissions office to check on application status?

It's been like 2 weeks... and I'm already getting anxious since it seems to me that everyone else is getting ii invite..

While waiting, do you think it is good idea to call the admissions office to check on application status?

It's been like 2 weeks... and I'm already getting anxious since it seems to me that everyone else is getting ii invite..
I waited eight (yes EIGHT) weeks for my interview invite last cycle. If it has only been two weeks, the i say give it time. Until you are actually given a rejection, your file is still under review.

Anxiety is not entitlement.

I waited eight (yes EIGHT) weeks for my interview invite last cycle. If it has only been two weeks, the i say give it time. Until you are actually given a rejection, your file is still under review.

my stats nearly identical to those of OP's, we applied at the same time, and I'm holding 1 rejection and no interviews right now.. how about them apples?

No. Can you imagine the amount of neurotic premed calls they get? Don't be one of them. Be patient.

Five weeks complete since my earliest app. Still sitting on 1 II.

Five weeks complete since my earliest app. Still sitting on 1 II.

Joining in on the september crew. Also week 5 checking in. 13 completed, 0 invites, 1 rejection (upper tier school).

Members don't see this ad :)
@100111

Did you have any IAs or criminal records? Not suggesting that they are holding your apps up, if you have them.

I've consulted two adcoms on this forum, goro included, about my own past. Both told me this shouldn't be a problem considering it's been many years..

Last edited:
I've consulted two adcoms on this forum, goro included, about my own past. Both told me this shouldn't be a problem considering it's been nearly 12 years... but nonetheless, the longer this drags out the more I worry this actually is a problem that will prevent me from becoming a physician...

Back in 2003, I was charged (never convicted as the charges were eventually dismissed) of possessing a little bit of pot and a fake ID. I've had nothing since then. I'm a strong DO candidate and have been given 3 ii's, 3 post secondary rejects, and 6 more schools with a whole lot of silence. Think this nonsense from over a decade ago is the issue!? ugh...thinking something so stupid from so long ago could kill my dreams makes me want to vomit...

*as an fyi, the schools that offered me the ii didn't have a question on their application where I had to answer YES to a criminal related question. They either asked about convictions or didn't ask at all...

Thanks for sharing. But it seems that this shouldn't be ANY problem even if it occurred last year. I mean, you were NEVER convicted of anything, and as far as I know, no schools ask for arrests/charges. Also, I assume that you didn't have to answer yes to the institutional section of the application under educational history.

But the good news is that we are still early in the DO cycle. As long as we get into one place, we'll be good to go!

Thanks for sharing. But it seems that this shouldn't be ANY problem even if it occurred last year. I mean, you were NEVER convicted of anything, and as far as I know, no schools ask for arrests/charges. Also, I assume that you didn't have to answer yes to the institutional section of the application under educational history.

But the good news is that we are still early in the DO cycle. As long as we get into one place, we'll be good to go!

Correct, no IA. However, plenty of schools ask "have you ever been CHARGED" which my answer is yes. Sean maybe you can PM me, or just post it here, but if you've applied to schools that haven't asked about arrests/charges, I'd love to know.

The only ones I've seen so far are western, touro's, kcumb...

Correct, no IA. However, plenty of schools ask "have you ever been CHARGED" which my answer is yes. Sean maybe you can PM me, or just post it here, but if you've applied to schools that haven't asked about arrests/charges, I'd love to know.

The only ones I've seen so far are western, touro's, kcumb...

I think that none of my 10 or so schools asked for charges on the secondary application.

I think it is wrong for any school to ask about "charges". It should be convictions only. Why is it their business unless you are found guilty?

Reactions: 2 users
I've consulted two adcoms on this forum, goro included, about my own past. Both told me this shouldn't be a problem considering it's been nearly 12 years... but nonetheless, the longer this drags out the more I worry this actually is a problem that will prevent me from becoming a physician...

Back in 2003, I was charged (never convicted as the charges were eventually dismissed) of possessing a little bit of pot and a fake ID. I've had nothing since then. I'm a strong DO candidate and have been given 3 ii's, 3 post secondary rejects, and 6 more schools with a whole lot of silence. Think this nonsense from over a decade ago is the issue!? ugh...thinking something so stupid from so long ago could kill my dreams makes me want to vomit...

*as an fyi, the schools that offered me the ii didn't have a question on their application where I had to answer YES to a criminal related question. They either asked about convictions or didn't ask at all...

I'm unfortunately beginning to think that ANY feature of your application that requires the adcom to dig a little deeper or give a little more thought is a negative and can lead to a rejection. Schools receive so many applications that instead of thinking "oh, this happened 12 years ago, let's see the rest of his application", they just have an easy reason to reject your app and move on to the next one. I have a bachelor's degree from a foreign institution (top in the world) and just heard from a school I applied to my undergrad it's not accredited and my credits don't count (got all prereqs done here in the US and my undergrad is obviously accredited). I am in contact with that school, hoping they will take back that instant rejection because it's based on something that is not even true. But still, it really discouraged me :( if the school took two more minutes to investigate my app, they would see that I have enough credits for their minimum requirement. But I guess when they have thousands of applications, I am not worth those extra two minutes...

You already have 3 ii's though, so I wouldn't worry too much! Your odd are really good and the cycle is far from being over

@yanks26dmb

You mind sharing which 3 iis you have so far? When were you complete at those schools?

Western-Pomona, Touro CA, KCUMB. Western and KCUMB ended up as waitlists....I'm praying to god there is some movement and I get in off of one of those. I've got Touro CA set for Monday, and honestly, it feels as though this is my last shot at getting in somewhere this cycle.

Sean - would you mind PM'ing me or just posting those 10 schools you applied (that didn't ask about charges/arrests)?

@PlasticBag I really hope this isn't the case. It would be terrible that anyone who was ever CHARGED with something is basically barred from being accepted to a wide range of medical schools. I won't name names, but I've been talking with one poster who has convictions (minor stuff) on his record with more ii's and acceptances than me. So hopefully, stuff like this won't keep me out.

@Sean Lee No but that's probably because I have only been complete at 2 of them for a week.

have you applied to the following schools:

Touro-NY
Touro-CA
AZCOM
CCOM

These schools are a bit MCAT obsessed so they may give you more leeway. I know CUSOM recently rejected someone with a 31 MCAT so they look for different things like service and volunteer experiences.

I have a 23 MCAT/3.82c GPA and I got accepted into CUSOM. It might be timing. I applied pretty much when AACOMAS opened. I do have strong research (duke and my undergrad university), I lived abroad, work at an urgent care center, fluent in Spanish though so who knows! I have things to push my MCAT up just like people can be brought down by not having enough even with with a good MCAT.

@100111

Did you have any IAs or criminal records? Not suggesting that they are holding your apps up, if you have them.

nope, no red flags whatsoever. I expected to start hearing back from mid october and onwards, but nothing so far besides western giving it's instant rejection to non-cali/west coast students.

nope, no red flags whatsoever. I expected to start hearing back from mid october and onwards, but nothing so far besides western giving it's instant rejection to non-cali/west coast students.

Thanks for sharing. My IA is really minor, so it shouldn't be a red flag. I do have one II (next week), so I'll focus on knocking that one out of the park.

I think we'll start hearing more good news VERY soon.

@Goro
@user3

Would it be appropriate for me to email the schools I haven't heard from and ask for a status update? Still siting on 1 ii.

I would call, not email.

A couple of schools I called to "make sure they had everything" gave me an interview within a few days or on the spot. I'm not sure if that was the reason, but it seems that way

Edit: sorry quoted wrong post

A couple of schools I called to "make sure they had everything" gave me an interview within a few days or on the spot. I'm not sure if that was the reason, but it seems that way

Edit: sorry quoted wrong post

However, I received the complete email/notification from most of the schools I am not hearing from. So could I just call and ask for a status update? Wouldn't that seem a bit inappropriate? How should I go about calling schools that have sent me the complete email (so they have everything they needed)?

However, I received the complete email/notification from most of the schools I am not hearing from. So could I just call and ask for a status update? Wouldn't that seem a bit inappropriate? How should I go about calling schools that have sent me the complete email (so they have everything they needed)?

I've done this a couple of times. How much time has lapsed since you've been complete? I would think it should be at least a month or so (honestly, maybe two months, depending on when you submitted your app) before its "acceptable" call and check-in, just so you don't seem impatient, yanno? Like Goro always says, patience is a virtue. FYI, the three or four places I called were all very kind, however I was basically told that there are many applications to go through- I'm still under review- and no news is good news.

Obviously be very polite. For me, the schools I called, I've been complete at for over two months. So I said something along the lines of, "I submitted my application for admission back in August, and received a notice that my application was complete about two months ago however I haven't received correspondence since. I'm calling to follow-up about my application, and to inquire as to whether there are any items on my part that could cause a delay in the review of my materials?" So the gist of the phone call was not necessarily me being anxious and just calling to hear about any new updates, but rather to ensure that all of my materials were indeed received and marked as acceptable. To be honest, you might get the generic "oh we have tons of applications to go through," etc. etc., but it couldn't hurt to call. Just remember to be kind and sincere, and use the representative's name when saying "thank you." :)

Seems like there's quite a few of us with 30+ mcats, good GPA's and a lot of silence...I have a hard time believing all of us are just getting the raw end here...

Seems like there's quite a few of us with 30+ mcats, good GPA's and a lot of silence...I have a hard time believing all of us are just getting the raw end here...

I think we just have to wait a bit longer?!?!

I just sent a few emails to several admissions committees. I am still a bit frustrated and puzzled about my lack of IIs.

Here's a quick recab of my application.
3.6 cGPA
3.3 sGPA
33 MCAT
-strong ECs include DO shadowing
-personal statement that focus on DO

I just sent a few emails to several admissions committees. I am still a bit frustrated and puzzled about my lack of IIs.

Here's a quick recab of my application.
3.6 cGPA
3.3 sGPA
33 MCAT
-strong ECs include DO shadowing
-personal statement that focus on DO
Is it possible that you have a bad letter??

Is it possible that you have a bad letter??

I really don't think so. But I don't know 100% for sure.

However, I did receive 2 IIs (one MD, one DO). So it one of my letters is really bad, then those interviews would be unlikely.

A have similar stats (LizzyM 70ish), applied a little later than others because I took a summer MCAT and didn't want to apply without knowing my score. I think my LOR's were good; I had enough LOR's that I could mix them up a little in case any one said something negative. My 25 apps were completed between mid-August and mid-September. Up until last week I had two II's. I figured I might not get any more given that I was so late in comparison with others here. But in the last 3 days I've gotten 3 more. Sean, you may need to build an ark to handle the flood when it finally happens! I have my fingers crossed for you.

A have similar stats (LizzyM 70ish), applied a little later than others because I took a summer MCAT and didn't want to apply without knowing my score. I think my LOR's were good; I had enough LOR's that I could mix them up a little in case any one said something negative. My 25 apps were completed between mid-August and mid-September. Up until last week I had two II's. I figured I might not get any more given that I was so late in comparison with others here. But in the last 3 days I've gotten 3 more. Sean, you may need to build an ark to handle the flood when it finally happens! I have my fingers crossed for you.

Thanks for sharing! I was complete mid-September to late September. So maybe the flood gate would open a bit later?

Thanks for sharing! I was complete mid-September to late September. So maybe the flood gate would open a bit later?
Yup! I suggest listening to an MP3 of Bill Cosby on Noah and the Ark. "NOAH! HOW LONG CAN YOU TREAD WATER???!!!" so that you will ready in a few weeks....

INTERVIEW INVITE!

This is the strange thing. I emailed a school that I've been complete for a while, and soon after, the school responded to my email saying that I've been invited to an interview. I was told to call them to schedule the interview, and after calling, I received the formal II in my email.

It seems that things like this happens quite often? If I hadn't contacted this school, will I still have received an II? Can anyone chime in?

@Goro
@user3

INTERVIEW INVITE!

This is the strange thing. I emailed a school that I've been complete for a while, and soon after, the school responded to my email saying that I've been invited to an interview. I was told to call them to schedule the interview, and after calling, I received the formal II in my email.

It seems that things like this happens quite often? If I hadn't contacted this school, will I still have received an II? Can anyone chime in?

@Goro
@user3

You should have received it. You just basically went to the first of the line by reminding them that you exist instead of being all alphabetic order exist.
Let me guess tho... LMU?.

INTERVIEW INVITE!

@Goro
@user3

Yay, congrats!

But for posteriority:
I emailed a school today (MD) and then got a rejection email an hour later.
Hahaha... Ugh :(

Yay, congrats!

But for posteriority:
I emailed a school today (MD) and then got a rejection email an hour later.
Hahaha... Ugh :(

Sorry to hear that! MD schools are...weird. Dead silence for me from all but one.

Nicely done, Sean! 3 IIs now? You're sitting pretty.

Nicely done, Sean! 3 IIs now? You're sitting pretty.

Thanks! Yeah, 3 IIs overall. 1 MD, 2 DO

Completed 1 MD and 1 DO. Should find out anytime about the MD, 3-4 weeks for the DO.

INTERVIEW INVITE!

@Goro
@user3
LMU?