3-year pharmd programs.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tristan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Which is better 3-year programs or 4-year programs? With 3yrs, you don't get summer off but you have lesser loans and faster graduation. Do you think employers will look "bad" upon 3-year grads as opposed to 4-year grads? Also, it is tougher to get accepted to a 3-yrs program as compared to a 4-yr program.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak to the issue of how exactly employer's will look at 3 vs. 4 yr programs. If you're planning on becoming a pharmacist in a regular pharmacy, I don't think they would care at all. I'm not sure to what level they streamline the curriculum for 3 yr progs. If they get you out in 2 2/3 yrs at UOP it seems that something must be left out, but maybe not.

As far as it being more rigorous to get into 3 yr progs: Definitely not here in CA, but maybe elsewhere.

Are you debating whether to choose a 3 yr because of consequences long term?

I think a definite upside to 3 yr prgs is you've got one additional year of $80K income by getting out a year early and that is only a plus.

I also think that it's cool if you're at UOP because even if you're not into Stockton you're only gonna have to be there for 2 yrs. Sorry if I'm offending anyone, I personally don't do well in small cities.