About the ads

3-year pharmd programs.....

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by tristan, 03.05.03.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.

Thanks to Crack the PCAT
  1. tristan

tristan Senior Member 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hey guys,
    Which is better 3-year programs or 4-year programs? With 3yrs, you don't get summer off but you have lesser loans and faster graduation. Do you think employers will look "bad" upon 3-year grads as opposed to 4-year grads? Also, it is tougher to get accepted to a 3-yrs program as compared to a 4-yr program.
  2. Triangulation

Triangulation 1K Member 7+ Year Member

I can't speak to the issue of how exactly employer's will look at 3 vs. 4 yr programs. If you're planning on becoming a pharmacist in a regular pharmacy, I don't think they would care at all. I'm not sure to what level they streamline the curriculum for 3 yr progs. If they get you out in 2 2/3 yrs at UOP it seems that something must be left out, but maybe not.

As far as it being more rigorous to get into 3 yr progs: Definitely not here in CA, but maybe elsewhere.

Are you debating whether to choose a 3 yr because of consequences long term?

I think a definite upside to 3 yr prgs is you've got one additional year of $80K income by getting out a year early and that is only a plus.

I also think that it's cool if you're at UOP because even if you're not into Stockton you're only gonna have to be there for 2 yrs. Sorry if I'm offending anyone, I personally don't do well in small cities.