3 year undergrad degree & dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FT2FLY

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an "Intent to Register" due for next semester. I'm planning on switching out of my program here at Western University (Canada) and pursing a basic Biology degree so that I can keep my GPA high and get my pre-reqs out of the way.

The biology module at my school is a 3 year degree.

Would that hurt my chances of getting into Dental school in the USA/Canada?

Members don't see this ad.

Not exactly sure why it would hurt having your degree? I graduated in 3 years with B.S. in biology, if anything wouldn't it help?

Having a degree would likely help.

Though I will say I know someone who graduated in 3 years and the in-state school he interviewed at really frowned upon it. Not so much that he graduated in three years, but more so that he was so young compared to others applying and they were going to have a hard time letting him in when there were other, older, applicants with similar credentials.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took part in a dual credit program my last two years of high school and graduated high school with my associates and continued onto finish my bachelors at university. I disclosed this whole process during my interview and I can almost assuredly tell you my interviewers did not look down upon me because of my age. Long story short I was accepted and entered DS days after turning 21. My point is that you shouldn't let people tell you your age is going to work against you, unless of course you come off to an interviewer as a nieve teenager. If anything it shows your motivation and drive to be getting ahead, and imho it makes you stand out .

Being young will definitely NOT be a disadvantage. I was accepted into all my school's except 1 so far and all of them noticed how young I am and asked why I decided to get my B. S in bio in 2 years. I just told them I'm trying to save my parents some money. I'll be 20 when I start dental school. Age is not an issue unless you allow it to be.

Reactions: 1 user
I took part in a dual credit program my last two years of high school and graduated high school with my associates and continued onto finish my bachelors at university. I disclosed this whole process during my interview and I can almost assuredly tell you my interviewers did not look down upon me because of my age. Long story short I was accepted and entered DS days after turning 21. My point is that you shouldn't let people tell you your age is going to work against you, unless of course you come off to an interviewer as a nieve teenager. If anything it shows your motivation and drive to be getting ahead, and imho it makes you stand out .

I've also graduated from a dual credit high school program, do you mind if i message you for some insight as far as dental school is concerned?

thank you for the replies. I just wasn't sure if dental schools themselves required a specific amount of years spent in undergrad.

More than happy to answer any questions