3 Years Post-Undergrad, Military, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mindavion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I graduated from West Point in 2011 as a life science major. I applied for the pre-medical school program, was allowed to apply to medical school, and got wait-listed at three DO schools before I graduated.

After graduation, I became an armor officer. I graduated from the Armor Basic Officer Leader Course and the Army Reconnaissance Course. I was stationed at Fort Riley, KS and reported to my first unit in February 2012. I was a tank platoon leader for 13 months, and now I am currently a headquarters company executive officer going on my 15th month.

I'm deployed overseas right now, and I'm taking this opportunity to study for the MCAT and reapply to medical school when I get back to the U.S. Here are some basic stats of mine.

-Over 200 hours of shadowing to include clinic and surgery
-Over 250 volunteer hours
-Two years of undergraduate research, not published
-cGPA is 3.2, sGPA is 3.3
-MCAT score I got from 2011 is 24

Not the best by any means, but I'm determined to meet my goal.

Members don't see this ad.

First off, many thanks for your service to our country! Hooooahhh~!

Second, I have to ask, West Point has a Life Science major? Really? It's rather a big jump to go from that to armor, so, goro is amazed.

Medical schools love veterans, but you're definitely going to have to improve the MCAT score. Low scores are predictive of failing out of med school or failing Boards.

Hello,

I graduated from West Point in 2011 as a life science major. I applied for the pre-medical school program, was allowed to apply to medical school, and got wait-listed at three DO schools before I graduated.

After graduation, I became an armor officer. I graduated from the Armor Basic Officer Leader Course and the Army Reconnaissance Course. I was stationed at Fort Riley, KS and reported to my first unit in February 2012. I was a tank platoon leader for 13 months, and now I am currently a headquarters company executive officer going on my 15th month.

I'm deployed overseas right now, and I'm taking this opportunity to study for the MCAT and reapply to medical school when I get back to the U.S. Here are some basic stats of mine.

-Over 200 hours of shadowing to include clinic and surgery
-Over 250 volunteer hours
-Two years of undergraduate research, not published
-cGPA is 3.2, sGPA is 3.3
-MCAT score I got from 2011 is 24

Not the best by any means, but I'm determined to meet my goal.

Goro, I love cats and I hope that one is yours.

West Point has a life science major. It was the only major that was most similar to biology, but not as in depth as normal universities due to the additional required coursework that cadets have to take.

I talked to my old med school adviser and he recommended I retake some classes to boost my science GPA. It definitely wouldn't hurt me, but should I focus more on studying for the 2015 version MCAT and applying to newer schools?