30 MCAT, 3.59 GPA: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tiramisu89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I retook the MCAT, and my score was a 30. My cumulative GPA is 3.59, and I'm still waiting on my science GPA from my AMCAS application, which hasn't been processed yet. All in all, I have very average stats, if not below average.

According to this: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table24-mcatgpagridall2007-09.pdf, I have a 56.9% shot. I would retake the MCAT to see if I could increase my score, but I honestly feel like the most I could increase it by is 2 points, which wouldn't improve my chances that much. Standardized exams just aren't my forte. Should I retake the MCAT? Or just explain in interviews why I didn't do as well as I should have? What schools should I be aiming for?

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you targeting less-selective med schools where you have a greater chance of getting interviews?

An MCAT of 30 is fine, but if you want to retake to improve your odds, the "common wisdom" of SDN is not to do so until you are reliably scoring 3 more points on practice tests.

Your slightly low cGPA is another issue and probably has a higher chance of being what holds you back. Do you still have a senior year to go where you can improve your GPA? Do you have a steep upward recent grade trend already?

If you want to proceed with an application season as you are, then you could consider adding some DO schools to your list to improve your chance of having only one application season.

I applied to alot of NY schools because I want to stay on the east coast somehow, like suny upstate, suny downstate, stony brook, new york medical college. I didn't want to apply to too many out of state schools, considering the cost and competitiveness. I've applied to some reach schools as well, like uwash and university of pittsburgh. Although, now that I'm looking at the stats for those schools again, I'm starting to realize might have been delusional of me.

I've already submitted my application, so I don't think I'm ready to withdraw my application. I also am not sure I want the DO option. Are there any other schools in the northeast that might be less selective?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also wondering...does it affect consideration of my somewhat low GPA at all if I am attending a top tier university?

Thanks for your help!