30+ MCAT Study Habits- The CBT Version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

omegaxx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Your individual scores and composite score
PS=14 VR=13 WS=Q BS=14 Composite=41Q

2) The study method used for each section
PS&BS: Reviewed all the materials (except Organic Chem, because I just finished a year long O. Chem course and knew it like the back of my hand). Practiced.
VR: Practice, practice, practice.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
Princeton Review all the way.

4) Which practice tests did you use?
Princeton Review all the way.
I also bought AAMC 4-6 for building confidence two weeks before the actual exam.

5) What was your undergraduate major?
Pharmacology & English, although I took the exam after sophomore year so I just had the prereq sciences and five English courses under my belt.

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Read smartly, and read a lot, not just textbooks and scientific papers and newspaper, but also materials in the humanities department.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?
2.5 months (~10 weeks), averaging ~3 hrs/day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm so excited that I actually get to post in this thread! :)

PS=14 VR=12 WS=Q BS=15 Composite=41Q

PS: I was most worried about this section, and it was my lowest score on my Kaplan diagnostic. I read all of the Kaplan books, watched some Khan Academy videos, and did all of the Kaplan question bank questions. I did every physical science question that Kaplan offered, well as good portions of the Examkrackers 1001 questions material.

VR: I lots of Kaplan practice section tests, as well as Examkrackers 101. I did a good portion of the Kaplan question bank questions as well.

BS: I was most confident in this section (as a lot of us probably are). I pretty much did the same studying for this section as for PS (examkrackers 1001 questions, Kaplan sectional questions, Kaplan question bank).

I used Kaplan tests 1-10, and my average was about 40. I also did all of the available AAMC tests, where my average was 38.

Biology, with a minor in Anthropology :)

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
I took lots of practice tests, and not just at the end! I took a practice test weekly after about 6 weeks of studying, and then twice a week in the last couple of weeks. Those exams were, bar none, the most important part of my studying. I thought the Kaplan exams were very helpful, although AAMC are closer to what the real test was like.

Finally, I would recommend to really hammer those concepts that you aren't completely comfortable with. It's not a good idea to ignore them. Newtonian physics was my weak point!

From the end of January to my test on May 27th. Probably 6 hours a day on average? Maybe less? It's hard to say.

Last edited:
PS=13 VR=10 WS=Q BS=14 Composite=37Q

AAMC Fls Ranges:
BS: 15-12
VR: 12-9
PS: 15-12
Average was right around 37

Verbal: I really wish that I had devoted more time to prepping for the verbal. I finished the EK 101 book and that was about it.
My diagnostic was a 10 and a few weeks later, I ended up with a 10 on the real deal; however, I am still pleased that its in the double digits despite lack of improvement. Verbal really isn't my forte.

BS: I used EK for content review and did all the passages from BR.
PS: BR for content review and passages.

3) What materials you used for each section

Verbal: Examkracker 101
BS and PS: BERKELEY REVIEW BERKELEY REVIEW BERKELEY REVIEW
AAMC FLs

AAMC 3-10

Biochemistry

I registered late for my exam, and as a result, all the exam centers in my state were full. I ended up driving 2.5 hrs the night before to Ohio, and booked a hotel for the night. The driving and having to sleep in an unfamiliar place definitely knocked off my rhythm. I could not sleep for anything in the world the night before my exam. Last I remember looking at the clock around 6 am in the morning. Fortunately, I registered for the afternoon exam.

I began studying for the May 27th exam after my finals ended on April 25th. I was really in a huge time crunch because I planned my schedule so that I would finish 8 BR books (Orgo, Bio, Physics, and Gen. Chem) within 3 weeks.

To stay on par with my schedule, I studied 7 days a week, 8+ hrs a day with only nominal study breaks. It sounds pretty bad, but it was only 32 days. Short and intense just the way I like it.

April 23rd 2010 PS=11 VR=7 WS=O BS=10 Composite=28O
May 27th 2010 PS=13 VR=9 WS=P BS=11 Composite=33P

PS: EK Phys and EK 1001 Phys. I know BR and NOVA are supposed to be the gold prep books for this section, but I simply don't have the time to go through all of their materials (I work full-time). I heard from friends that EK is pretty short and easy to understand, but not detailed enough to get a really high score. I beg to differ - content review is essential but PRACTICE is the most important thing, and I cannot stress this enough. You MIGHT think that you know the materials inside out during content review, but trust me, without sufficient practice, you're only halfway through. I did all the EK Phys 1001 q's (50 a day) and half of EK Chem 1001 q's (25 a day) for 2 months. I re-reviewed the sections that I got more questions wrong and redo the questions again until I convinced myself that I won't get these types of questions wrong again.

VR: I'm a slow reader so this section is a beast of its own. I did half of the EK 101 passages while timing myself, but at some point I felt that my score wasn't really improving despite more practice. So, I did the other half of the passages WITHOUT timing and focused on understanding the passages and answering the questions. I'm not sure if this change of approach really helped me much but I felt alot more comfortable doing the real thing.

BS: EK Bio and EK Orgo and EK Orgo 1001. The truth is, you don't need much content review for this section since most of the MCAT questions can only be answered from the passages. Nonetheless, EK is more than enough as prep materials for this section. In particular, I really liked EK Orgo since I have always been a terrible orgo learner but EK made it so easy to understand for me! I did half of the Orgo 1001 questions.

WR: Did not prepare at all - hence the P.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
PS: EK
VR: EK
BS: EK

I did AAMC 3, 8-10, and all the EK lecture exams.

Biology

Try to pick a timeslot that's comfortable for you. I did the MCAT 3 times and the first two tries were in the morning. Unfortunately, I'm definitely NOT a morning person so I simply could not focus, especially in VR. The third time, I chose an afternoon timeslot and it worked wonders. I was fully awake and pumped up throughout all the sections and felt confident walking out.

I studied for 3 months for the April 23rd exam. However, I didn't feel confident after the test, so I registered for the May 27th exam and continued to do practice problems once a week until I got my score back on May 25th. I took a day off from work on the 26th and did absolutely nothing MCAT related to relax my brain.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1) PS: 14, BS: 13, VR: 12 Composite: 39Q

2) Study methods used:
Kaplan materials for each section. I mostly used their quick fact sheet and memorized everything on it for PS and BS. I didn't really study for o chem since I just finished a class on it and took an ACS standardized final. No need to study much for it. Physical science I had to review a lot. Each week I did a section practice test for either BS or PS.
For verbal I simply did as many verbal section tests as I could. Practice is the only thing. I practiced practiced practiced. I probably did 15 individual section tests for it along with my full lengths.
I did a full length once a month until the month of my exam, then one a week until the week before the test. I always did them on Saturday at the time of my test (8am) to prepare for that as well.
I always carried around a set of Kaplan flash cards with me and when I had down time flipped through them. Each week I would change which set I had on me. For instance one week I would always carry physics, the next week gen chem, and the next week bio. I never carried the o chem ones because as I stated earlier I had a strong handle on o chem. I never took the time to practice the writing section. Too much else to do.

3) I used Kaplan materials for each section.

4) Practice tests I used were each of the Kaplan ones as well as all of the AAMC ones.

5) Undergraduate major: Physiology and Developmental Biology

6) Any other advice? Take the day before the test off and do something fun and don't think about the MCAT. It worked wonders for me. Also don't worry too much if you have trouble sleeping the day of the test. I probably got three hours of sleep the night of but had enough adrenaline it was fine. I thought about voiding my score because I knew I was exhausted but am glad I did not.

7) I studied for 6 months. I studied around 8-10 hours a week for the first four months and then really hammered it with about 15 to 20 hours a week the last 2 months.

PS=10 VR=11 WS=Q BS=10 Composite=31Q May 21st, 2010
PS=7 VR=6 WS=Q BS=9 Composite=22Q July 2008

I took the Kaplan in-class course. I never missed a class because it gave great review, but don't expect much from the class. The real reason you pay for Kaplan is their online content. I did 1-9 FL from Kaplan and 3-10 AAMC, which you have access to through Kaplan. I also took all the Section tests for PS, VR, and BS.

I read all the science books that they give for during the fall semester and took notes/did the end of chapter problems for every chapter. Yes it took four months, around a chapter a day, skipping a few days a week.

Starting in January for a May 21st test date, I started doing simulation. I took section tests, quizzes, and FLs every Tuesday, reviewing weak areas when I saw the breakdown of what I got wrong from Kaplan (very helpful website if you will just explore it!!). In my mind, if you do EVERY Kaplan test/quiz and review them, there is no way you won't do well, but you must put the time in!

Also, I studied all the time. I had note cards, which I'd flip through at work or while watching TV. I always had at least one book with me when hanging out with my roommates. Just keep it on your mind all the time.

For the verbal section, I added some materials because that was my worst section on the previous MCAT. I did all the section tests for Kaplan verbal and supplemented that with EK, which was good, but hard. In the end, my EK average was lower than my actual score in verbal, but it helped improve my speed and score.

Kaplan online materials (FLs, section tests, subject tests, quizzes, etc.), AAMC FLs 3-10, Examkrackers Verbal

Kaplan gives you access to all AAMCs, plus they have 11 FLs. I used those.

Communication Disorders (Speech Pathology)

Keep the MCAT on your mind all the time. But here's the trick: Don't just think about it, study too! Many people confuse thinking about studying with studying. You really do have to be comfortable with every topic. Also, I used affirmations. The day before the test, I repeated encouraging words to myself any time I felt anxiety. The day of the test, I was so calm it was weird. Have your positive mantra. Mine was (courtesy of my sister): I am a smart girl, I know the material, and I am ready to take this test. It truly works because the first time I took the MCAT, I cried on the way I was so nervous and my mind was scrambled eggs for the first two sections. Naturally, I bombed it. Stay positive, but back that up with knowledge and you should be straight.

Hardcore 4.5 months at around 3 hours/day, five days a week, more or less depending on how I felt. Soft study 5 months around 1-2 hours a day, 4-5 days a week.

Good luck to everyone. If I can, you can.

Last edited:
PS=12 VR=11 WS=R BS=12 Composite=35R May 27, 2010

I took the TPR course from Jan-April, 2nd semester of my junior year. I attended all the classes, but it was really hard to keep up with the homework on top of my other classes. During the semester, I probably spent a total of three weeks tops doing MCAT work, including two TPR diagnostics.

Initially, Bio was my weakest subject. I had taken P-Chem and finished Physics the previous semester so my Physical Sciences was decently strong already. I led study groups for O-Chem for 3 semesters, so I was alright in that as well. I had only taken introductory bio courses at my university, so I had no physiology background whatsoever. I spent a LOT of time reading through the bio book and class notes. Also attended a 5hr super bio review hosted by TPR (very good, attend one if you can).

Anyway, once I was making good headway in Bio I started going back to the other subjects. I followed the TPR homework segments sequentially for each topic. On any given day, I'd try to cover at least two topics. For instance, I'd read a chapter of Physics and do 1/2 the assigned problems, then a chapter of O-Chem and 1/2 the assigned problems. I only did 1/2 the problems so I would have something to come back to later on. The only subject I didn't really read the book for was Verbal--unnecessary. If you get the gist of TPR's strategy you'll be fine; you're better off using your time to do passages. As for the writing sample, it's just a formulaic essay--make sure you have some good examples in mind for the different types of prompts.

At the end of April, when finals ended, I dived hardcore into MCAT. Spent about 9 hours a day studying, every day until May 25. (The day before I just did some light bio review and went through one verbal test). Finished reading through all TPR chapters and 1/2 the problems for each section. Was able to do that within about a week and a half. Then I went back and re-read all the chapters and did the other 1/2 of the problems, reviewing old problems that I had trouble with initially.

The second time going through bio, I took notes on stuff that hadn't been covered in my lectures...and used these notes to review whenever I had a chance.

TPR books/workbooks and a few diagnostics, ExamKrackers O-Chem to supplement my TPR stuff, AAMC practice tests 6-10

The TPR course came with TPR diagnostics and all the available AAMCs. I took a few TPRs and most of the AAMCs.

Biopsychology, minor in environmental studies

Study hard but study smart. Figure out what methods work best for you and stick to it. Start studying at a time of day that matches the time you'll take your test. I had a 1 pm administration so I'd hit the lib around 1 every day to get my body into the routine. Experiment with different snacks to see what keeps you most high-energy while you study--use the same snacks on test day.

Most importantly, DO NOT STRESS OUT ON TEST DAY! You need to walk in there with an almost cocky attitude. Believe in yourself. You obviously should be taking the test when you know you're ready, when you've studied everything you possibly could, did a bunch of AAMCs and scored in a range you are happy with. You need to be confident that you'll do well and do not let the test get to you. I started having a couple mini-freakouts during mine bc I thought it was a lot harder than the practice tests, but I took deep breaths and calmed myself down--after all--freaking out doesn't do you any good.

Remember that it's SUPPOSED TO BE HARD, you're SUPPOSED to walk out feeling like crap...but in the end, you will most likely score within the range of your AAMCs as long as you didn't let the nerves get to you (My AAMCs were consistently 35-36). Keep this in mind during the month-long wait for your scores. It's an excruciatingly long 4 wks. I walked out of my exam in tears, feeling like I had come nowhere near a 30 and that I would surely have to retake. Clearly, my feelings were wrong. How you feel coming out of the test means nothing in relation to your score.

Very sparingly throughout the school semester, though I attended class 5 days a week for 2.5 hrs each evening. And then life-devoted-to-MCAT studying from the end of April up until the end of May, every day.

If you put in the time and have the work ethic, I think a 4-6 week span is the perfect amount of time to study for this test.

BEST OF LUCK!!!!!! And make sure to leave a little time to have some fun while you study--you definitely don't want to burn out. Make some time every day to work out, watch a little TV, or hang out with friends and unwind before you go back to studying. Your body and mind need a break every now and then. :)

Last edited:
1) Individual and Composite Score:
11P/11B/11V/S (33S) May 22nd, 2010

2 and 3) Materials and Study Method Used for Each Section
Physics: NOVA Physics and Examkrackers, independent study
Biology: Examkrackers plus Examkrackers 1001 since it had biology passages
Verbal Reasoning: ExamKrackers 101 Passages
Writing Sample: Learned "Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis" as the layout/format for the essays, but beyond that did not rehearse this process at all.

I did not study but a tiny amount of Organic Chemistry, most of which I studied from the Kaplan premier book that I had bought. I received an A in advanced organic, so I assumed that would be my strength.
My weakness heading into it was physics; I am a neurobiology major so I took the most amount of time and used the widest array of materials for physics studies. I only did part time at school for my junior semester and tried to get in anywhere from 2-5 hours of MCAT studies per day. Some days I would go beyond that but rarely to be honest, felt it was better to distribute my studies across the span of a couple months.

4) Practice Tests: AAMC.org practice tests

5) Undergraduate Major: Neurobiology

6) Any other tips:
Even if you're the ice man, your nerves will get the best of you if you aren't careful and don't properly emulate the test-taking experience. I dramatically underperformed on PS in my opinion because I was unprepared for the gravity of the situation, in spite of the fact that I thought nothing could shake me.
Try emulating an experience where you have 10 minutes between sections, someone monitoring you and checking you in/out of the test-taking room, and so on if at all possible.
If I could do it all over again, I would use the Berkeley Review materials probably. My university only has Princeton and Kaplan programs, and Kaplan floods the university with advertisements and I'm not sure I'm a big fan of them to be honest.
My practice exams were consistently 36-39, and I scored a 33. While this is well under my practice scores, my verbal reasoning was higher than my practice average and the symmetry of my overall score justified my acceptance of it.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT
Regularly while depressed really during my spring semester. I underperformed on the exam due to nerves but feel that my method for study prep was fairly independent and rigorous.

I didn't take the MCAT yet but I probably will score 30+, my mom's a doctor and so is my grandpa :)

I want to use your strategy to get a 30+ but I don't have a grandpa. I'm thinking if I get my mom and dad to become doctors that should make up for it and I should get a 30+, right? Please let me know what you would do.

PS=10 VR=11 WS=Q BS=10 Composite=31Q May 21st, 2010
PS=7 VR=6 WS=Q BS=9 Composite=22Q July 2008

I took the Kaplan in-class course. I never missed a class because it gave great review, but don't expect much from the class. The real reason you pay for Kaplan is their online content. I did 1-9 FL from Kaplan and 3-10 AAMC, which you have access to through Kaplan. I also took all the Section tests for PS, VR, and BS.

I read all the science books that they give for during the fall semester and took notes/did the end of chapter problems for every chapter. Yes it took four months, around a chapter a day, skipping a few days a week.

Starting in January for a May 21st test date, I started doing simulation. I took section tests, quizzes, and FLs every Tuesday, reviewing weak areas when I saw the breakdown of what I got wrong from Kaplan (very helpful website if you will just explore it!!). In my mind, if you do EVERY Kaplan test/quiz and review them, there is no way you won't do well, but you must put the time in!

Also, I studied all the time. I had note cards, which I'd flip through at work or while watching TV. I always had at least one book with me when hanging out with my roommates. Just keep it on your mind all the time.

For the verbal section, I added some materials because that was my worst section on the previous MCAT. I did all the section tests for Kaplan verbal and supplemented that with EK, which was good, but hard. In the end, my EK average was lower than my actual score in verbal, but it helped improve my speed and score.

Kaplan online materials (FLs, section tests, subject tests, quizzes, etc.), AAMC FLs 3-10, Examkrackers Verbal

Kaplan gives you access to all AAMCs, plus they have 11 FLs. I used those.

Communication Disorders (Speech Pathology)

Keep the MCAT on your mind all the time. But here's the trick: Don't just think about it, study too! Many people confuse thinking about studying with studying. You really do have to be comfortable with every topic. Also, I used affirmations. The day before the test, I repeated encouraging words to myself any time I felt anxiety. The day of the test, I was so calm it was weird. Have your positive mantra. Mine was (courtesy of my sister): I am a smart girl, I know the material, and I am ready to take this test. It truly works because the first time I took the MCAT, I cried on the way I was so nervous and my mind was scrambled eggs for the first two sections. Naturally, I bombed it. Stay positive, but back that up with knowledge and you should be straight.

Hardcore 4.5 months at around 3 hours/day, five days a week, more or less depending on how I felt. Soft study 5 months around 1-2 hours a day, 4-5 days a week.

Good luck to everyone. If I can, you can.
Wow...From 22Q to 31Q. That is a hell of an improvement.

Please see my post above. I used EK exclusively and got a 13 PS/15 VR/13 BS (41S). I had the Kaplan Premier Program book, but I used it only once or twice to look up things EK didn't explain clearly.

Hey Cole,

Would you say you had a solid understanding of the physics material before going through the EK book?

Awesome job btw! :clap: :clap:

Hey Cole,

Would you say you had a solid understanding of the physics material before going through the EK book?

Awesome job btw! :clap: :clap:

No. I understand kinematics ok, but E&M don't make sense in my brain. Physics is my weakest pre-req by far.

Members don't see this ad :)
May 27, 2010
PS: 11
Verbal: 11
BS: 12
Composite: 34Q

PS: I took a Kaplan review course that was offered at my school. I used the Kaplan review books to learn/review the material for physics and chem.

VR: I took a lot of practice sections - probably about 25 in all. I thought this was going to be my weakest section, so I was worried about it since I was a science major and was not that comfortable with the passages. After taking a bunch of practice sections, I got more comfortable with it and my timing improved. I used the Kaplan strategy (taking notes as you read the passages) and that helped me a lot to focus and find the answers.

BS: The Kaplan review notes helped a lot here. It was mostly review, but the notes were very clear. I outlined each chapter of the review book and took all of the end of the chapter quizzes several times.

WR: I followed the Kaplan strategy here again. 3 paragraph essay - 1st paragraph defining the prompt, second paragraph explaining the counterexample and 3rd giving the criteria for when the prompt is true and when it is not. I did probably about 10 practice writing sections, but once I got the hang of the strategy it was not that bad. the hardest part was coming up with specific examples for the essays

PS: Kaplan, AAMC
VR: Kaplan, AAMC
BS: Kaplan, AAMC

2 of the Kaplan ones, until I realized that they were not as accurate/real as the AAMC ones. Then I did like 8 AAMC practice tests. UNDER TESTLIKE CONDITIONS. that's key. taking the test in a testlike setting -- at the time of day that you'd actually be taking the real thing.

Chemistry

don't study for more than an hour at a time without taking a 10 minute break. if you get overwhelmed while studying, walk away. don't do anything MCAT related on the day before the test - plan out your day and distract yourself.

4 months. intensely.

Hey all, first time poster here. Just received my score for the June 17th MCAT and thought I would give back to the forum since it has been very informative and comforting over the past little while.

PS=10 VR=10 WS=R BS=12 Composite=32R

PS&BS:: Reviewed material. Did not touch organic since it's my post grad major
VR : Practice problems
Essay: Looked over prompts, did a few outlines for several of the ones I found more challenging, and wrote a few out in full.

Kaplan books for the science sections, read TPR verbal reasoning section and EK for the passage practice

AAMC 4-9 and the free one

Medicinal Chemistry

Know your weak subject area and focus on that. If you're really confident in a particular section don't spend much of your precious time on it.

For those struggling with verbal (as I was) I would subscribe to the EK strategy rather than any "speed reading" or time saving strategies.

Buy the practice tests (going through all of them is more time and cost effective than retaking the test). Don't wait too long to write them; the tests can really serve as a much needed kick in the butt and/or a good confidence booster. When you take them, take them like they're the real deal: it will really help you come test day.

Around a month of evenings and the odd weekend. At no point did I feel as though I was cramming which I think helped.

Hi guys, I just got my score form the 6/17/10 AM test. 3rd time taking it for me so I hope this helps people out. I tried to make it as informative as possible:

Sept 08 PS=10 VR=11 WS=S BS=10 Composite=31S
Sept 09 PS=11 VR=11 WS=R BS=11 Composite=33R
June 10 PS=13 VR=11 WS=R BS=12 Composite=36R

Sept '08: thought MCAT was like the SAT so I did zero studying. thought it was funny people were going over flash cards in the lounge lol. came out of the test feeling violated. also did not void because I am curious like that and wanted to see how I did haha
PS: played counter-strike
BS: played starcraft
VR: ate cereal
Essay: there's an essay?

Sept '09: took it real seriously and prepped for 2.5 MONTHS, but choked on actual exam.
PS: did all of EK and all of Kaplan. On the actual exam I choked on this section early on and didn't manage time well.
BS: did all of EK and all of Kaplan. On actual exam too much in shock over bombing PS section and possibly wasting 2.5 months of my LIFE.
VR: did all of EK. On actual exam still took much in shock over bombing PS section and possibly wasting 2.5 months of my LIFE.
Essay: not worth my time, just winged it.

June '10: totally felt screwed since I only had 10 DAYS to study, but half of that time were goddamn graduation days, you know how those go. Real time was probably like 4 days of studying 12-16 hrs non-stop.
PS: memorized all formulas in the Kaplan books, vowed to do all the EK problems, but actually did none. Took me about 4 days of non-stop work to get this done and get the formulas all memorized and familiar like the back of my hand.
BS: did nothing for this. I had confidence in my bio prep through school courses to get me through it.
VR: I resigned myself to the fact that VR just fluctuates for me so I did no prep here.
Essay: still not worth time to prep for imo, just winged it.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc) I only had Kaplan and EK to choose from so out of those I used...
Physics: kaplan (ek seemed lacking to me)
Chem: kaplan (again ek seemed lacking)
Orgo: EK (simply because I had no time to read the thick ass kaplan book)
Bio: EK (had enough detail plus I was a bio major so kaplan was too dense for me)

I took all the AAMC exams for the Sept 09 exam repeatedly at least 3 times each until I got 44 or 45 on the exams and knew how to do all the problems. Got a 33R. I took ZERO PRACTICE TESTS for the 6/10 exam. Got a 36R. Someone explain how this makes sense.

Biology and chemistry

I retook this beast 3 times and finally got the score I was looking for. Don't listen to people that say "oh stats show you won't do better the second time" or "only X% of people do better the 3rd time."? These people don't know you. Only you know you. If you felt that your actual score did not reflect your TRUE POTENTIAL then study again and retake.

Oh yeah don't plan to take during graduation like I did because I planned everything out so well for those 10 days after class ended, but then I was like "oh yeah I need to GRADUATE." So yea that basically nuked my plans away in a second. I honestly don't know what I did right or wrong as you can see I somehow scored higher cramming for 4 days versus diligent studying for 2.5 months. All I can say is, everyone is different. Borrow books from your friends and just skim a few of them to see which one feels best FOR YOU. Then get that to prep. What company doesn't really matter and IMO people are too focused on that versus just doing the problems and focusing on the material.

Sept08: didn't study lol
Sept09: 2.5 months, about 8 hrs a day.
June10: 4 days, probably 80 hrs total.

Hope this helps guys...and like I said if you truly think you can do better, just go ahead and retake it. NEVER GIVE UP. Life is about how many times you can get up from a hard beating. Fall down 7 times, stand up 8. :luck:

Last edited:
Can I just say that this major sounds AWESOME!

It's specific to the University of Ottawa as far as I know. It consisted pretty much of standard general science for the first two years then the second two had an emphasis on organic chemistry with some higher level biochemistry elective options. Got to take a few psychology and philosophy electives also!

PS=11 VR=9 BS=11 Composite=31O

PS: Read/skimmed the EK book and did all of the lecture questions + exams
BS: Read the EK book and did all of the lecture questions + exams
VR: Read the EK book and did the first 11 passages in 101 passages

EK

AAMC 3-10

Biopsychology

Do not take this test if you do not feel like you will kill it. Seriously, know EVERYTHING 100%. Don't be questionable and hope it won't show up on the MCAT because it will. I was pretty complacent with verbal. I was scoring consistently 11-12s on AAMC/EK passages and ended up with the "verbal from hell." The first passage was literally twice as long as anything on the AAMC tests. I walked out feeling like I could have gotten anything from 4 to 12 on verbal. A 2 point drop makes my 33 a 31 which is a good score, but a 33 just looks soooo much nicer. Also...if you are not a morning person, do not sign up for a morning test. Seriously.

1.5 months, 5 hours a day

PS=13 VR=9 BS=12 Composite=34O

I took a class through my university, but it wasn't all that great. The good thing about the class however was the materials that came with it. We were given the EK package and access to a bunch of old questions from the other companies.
PS: I had to do a lot of ground work here because I felt pretty far behind from the start.
V: I used the EK book and then read some other passages that I could get my hands on. I was pretty disappointed with this section.
BS: This was my strongest section the whole way through. I spent most of my time doing EK questions.

All of the EK books + questions and passages from TPR, BR, Kaplan, and the AAMC official guide.

AAMC: 3(29) 7(28) 8(31) 9(31) 10(32) 6(37)

Medical Microbiology and Immunology

Start early and figure out your strengths and weaknesses. Fine tune your strengths and do practice questions in those areas. Do the ground work in your weaknesses so that you can get to a point where you feel strong in them. Practice tests are crucial.

Oct. 2009 - Apr. 2010 so 7 months or so.

PS=11 VR=12 BS=12 Composite=35Q

The Princeton Review Cracking the CBT

See #2

AAMC: 3(26) 7(31) 8(35) 9(34) 10(35)

Biology

IDK. I got wasted the night before my test and made out with a 24 year old law student. Maybe try that?

9 days

See #2

Biology

IDK. I got wasted the night before my test and made out with a 24 year old law student. Maybe try that?

9 days

yeah buddy i dont believ this

See #2

Biology

9 days

lol u so funni

PS=10 VR=11 WS=Q BS=10 Composite=31Q

PS&BS&V: Read through all sections of Exam Krackers once and wikipedia when EK did a poor job explaining

EK for all of my studying. Princeton Review for practice passages of Physics, Gen Chem, and Ochem

1 Exam Krackers that came with the books
3 AAMC online practice exams
I consistently got 28 or 29 (my highest score) on practice exams. 10V V, 10 B, 8-9 PS

Biology with a focus on animal physiology

1 1/2 weeks before wake up the time you'll wake up test day and do practice exams every other day leading up to the MCAT

3 weeks, 2-3 hours a day. 2 weeks, 7-8 hours a day

3/27: 9 BS/10 VR/8 BS/Q; composite = 27Q
7/8: 12 BS/12 VR/9 PS/Q; composite = 33Q

For my retake, I followed someone else's suggestion on this forum and typed up the notes for each section. To be honest I didn't change tactics for each section. For the writing I occasionally read the news, but writing was always a strong section for me.
For my first attempt I did buy Examkrackers: Biology, as at that point biology was one of my weaker subjects, but I didn't really like it.
I would sometimes refer to PR Physical Sciences for Physics, though I often found their explanations too complicated and intimidating.

First attempt: Princeton Review & Examkrackers Biology
Retake: Kaplan, with occasional use of PR Physical Sciences

First Attempt: PR tests & AAMC tests (avg 25-29)
Retake: Kaplan tests & AAMC tests (avg 31-34)

Biomedical Science (it's specific to Texas A&M)

if you seem to not be making any progress, switch up your study habits and materials. 2 weeks after I switched to kaplan (after months of not studying) my score improved by 3 points.
I also made flashcards, not just with vocabulary (though I had plenty of those), but also with little questions. I also made flashcards for EVERY figure in the Kaplan book (ex - titration of amino acid) because I always seemed to fail at understanding figures.

first attempt: took PR course almost a year before I took the MCAT, studied for months off and on, but maybe 2-3 hrs/day
retake: 1.5 months, 6 hrs/day

Last edited:
3/27: 9 BS/10 VR/8 BS/Q; composite = 27Q
7/8: 12 BS/12 VR/9 PS/Q; composite = 33Q

For my retake, I followed someone else's suggestion on this forum and typed up the notes for each section. To be honest I didn't change tactics for each section. For the writing I occasionally read the news, but writing was always a strong section for me.
For my first attempt I did buy Examkrackers: Biology, as at that point biology was one of my weaker subjects, but I didn't really like it.
I would sometimes refer to PR Physical Sciences for Physics, though I often found their explanations too complicated and intimidating.

First attempt: Princeton Review & Examkrackers Biology
Retake: Kaplan, with occasional use of PR Physical Sciences

First Attempt: PR tests & AAMC tests (avg 25-29)
Retake: Kaplan tests & AAMC tests (avg 31-34)

Biomedical Science (it's specific to Texas A&M)

if you seem to not be making any progress, switch up your study habits and materials. 2 weeks after I switched to kaplan (after months of not studying) my score improved by 3 points.
I also made flashcards, not just with vocabulary (though I had plenty of those), but also with little questions. I also made flashcards for EVERY figure in the Kaplan book (ex - titration of amino acid) because I always seemed to fail at understanding figures.

first attempt: took PR course almost a year before I took the MCAT, studied for months off and on, but maybe 2-3 hrs/day
retake: 1.5 months, 6 hrs/day

hey man you gimme a lot of hope, im also retaking my 3/27 i made a 22M on it 10PS, 6VR, 6BS

any other tips you got for retaking? did you feel the 7/8 test was easier as you walked out?

i never got less than a 10 in BS for any AAMC test, howd you study for bio on your retake, kaplan sectionals?

thanks

hey man you gimme a lot of hope, im also retaking my 3/27 i made a 22M on it 10PS, 6VR, 6BS

any other tips you got for retaking? did you feel the 7/8 test was easier as you walked out?

i never got less than a 10 in BS for any AAMC test, howd you study for bio on your retake, kaplan sectionals?

thanks

I think you should only retake if you make an effort to change how you study, and really crack down. You can't not change anything and expect to do better.

With a 22M, I'm honestly not sure you should expect huge improvement. Maybe you should wait a year and then retake the MCAT.

I definitely felt just as awful walking out of the 2nd MCAT as I did the first.

PS=12 VR=11 WS=Q BS=12 Composite=35Q

After taking one of the TPR FLs as a diagnostic test, I found a list of all the stuff I was expected to know for the MCAT and made notes of all the topics I didn't feel comfortable about. I borrowed the physics and biology EK books and skimmed through them taking all the end-of-chapter tests and reviewing questions I either missed or wasn't sure about.

Most of my studying after that consisted of taking FLs and reviewing the questions I marked or missed.

I used EK physics and biology
I did not study for gchem, ochem, VR, or the writing sample.

TPR1 (28) TPR2 (32) AAMC4 (34) AAMC 8 (36) AAMC 10 (36)

Biochemistry, and I had just finished the year of biochem which helped considerably on the BS section (both in biology and in ochem).

You know your study learning habits better than anyone else, so figure out a system that works for you. Do a little experimenting and don't be afraid to try new ideas. Don't just copy someone else's method, because what worked for me probably won't work for you. Also, try to keep the neurosis in check and take the day before your exam off.

All in all I studied for about 2.5 weeks, between 3 and 6 hours a day for maybe 5 days a week.

Last edited:
PS=12 VR=13 WS=M BS=10 Composite=35M

PS - I went through the EK book at least three times, and also did some questions out of the EK 1001 book (probably 200-300 questions), and listened to EK Audio Osmosis. The first time I went through the EK book, was far in advance of my real dedicated study time. I browsed through the books 6-8 months before my MCAT date and probably had them in my possession for about 12 months before the actual MCAT.

BS - Same as above, EK and 1001, except I probably only did 100 or so questions out of the 1001 book. Also listened to Audio Osmosis. I really struggled with organic chemistry, as I took both courses in one summer back to back with labs, so I really didn't have enough time to learn the material properly in the actual course. Out of the science sections, I probably neglected this one more, and my score reflects that.

VR - I read the EK VR guide that comes with the EK package, but didn't find it terribly useful. If anything what I got from EK was to not try any shortcuts, read the passage, answer the questions. No bull**** no skipping around. That's what I did. I had the 101 VR passages book from EK, but I only did two of the 60 min tests (they are 60 right?), I scored pitifully on them, never getting higher than what they said an 8 was. In my opinion, the VR 101 book is much more difficult than the practice exams I took and my actual MCAT. I never really struggled with the VR portion, I consistently got 12-13 on all my practice exams, including the one I took before I started studying. I spent very little time working on VR, probably AAMC practice exams were where I spent the most time working on VR. To me it seems like either you've got it or you don't. I read very slowly, sounding out the words in my head, I don't know if that helps or hurts, but I seem to get the general idea form all of the passages. I do not go back to the text often.

Writing Sample - obviously I don't have any advice for what to do correctly since I got an M. What I can tell you is how I did it, which was clearly wrong. I didn't study for the writing sample at all. Maybe once or twice I read over a strategy online or in a book, but this was only in the last week or so before the test. I never once tried to write one. Obviously it worked out horribly for me, so I suggest you actually try studying for it. I am not a science major and figured I had done enough writing in my long long college career to make me pretty good at it, but I was certainly wrong. So my suggestion - DO something.

EK and EK 1001/101 for all subjects. Audio Osmosis stayed in my car, instead of music 100% of the time from two months before the test until the test day, when I switched to an old album I really like. I also had some used PR material from someone's course, but I didn't really like it and didn't use it.

AAMC3 (31) Taken before I started studying 2.5 months before June test day
AAMC 8 (34) Taken 1.5 months before my test after apx 2 weeks of full time study.
AAMC 10 (32) Taken 10 days before test day
AAMC 9 (35) Taken 6 days before

Overall, I think the AAMC practice exams I took were good predictors of my final score.

Economics.

Plan ahead of time. Plan waaaaay ahead of time. Get your study materials together right NOW (if not sooner). I found a couple of really good websites with only a couple of weeks left. They were nice, because when I felt burnt out, I could kickback and put on a video, watching it rather passively while eating or just relaxing. More of that would have helped me I think.
For those of you who feel like you don't have enough time to study (which might be everybody), I really really recommend Audio Osmosis by Exam Krackers. Its stupid, incredibly stupid, corny and annoying, but it sure helped me drill some of those dumb facts you need into my skull. I probably listened to the AO series at least seven or eight times, mostly in the car.
In the actual test, just focus on the questions and get the job done. I was sick, and felt like crap through the entire test. I considered voiding at the end because I thought I did horrible (but only for a second, I would never void, I'd rather have the feedback than not). You probably never do as bad as you think. My practice tests that felt the worst at the end gave me the best scores.

From when I got out of school May 15 to my test day mid June, so right at about 2 months. About 50 hours a week at first, down to maybe 20 a week when I got frustrated in the middle, finishing up with maybe 30/week the last couple of weeks. I stopped working, going to school, and volunteering, MCAT was my only responsibility for two months. In retrospect it probably wasn't enough time, but it was all i could give it. I'd guess about 250 hours of full time study in the summer, along with 100 hours of study spread sporadically throughout my last semester.

PS=15 VR=12 WS=R BS=12 Composite=39R

Purchased all AAMC Tests. Start test 1. Take it under exam conditions, at the same time of my scheduled exam. Spend two and a half days (12 hour days, no facebook, email, or wasting time..actual 12 hours of studying) going over every single problem, whether I got it right or wrong. Every question I got wrong, or I guessed at all on, I would find the chapter in my book and do problems until I got five right in a row. Start test 2. Repeat for all 8 AAMC Tests.

My coursebooks and AAMC explanations.

All AAMC exams.

Math

Pay attention in your classes. The single best advice I can give you. Seriously. Learn the material right. Studying will be many times easier.

Approximately 30 days. Averaged a test every three days or thereabouts. Would take it in the morning, then spend the next 2.5 days going over it and then taking another. 12 hours a day, with Sundays off. And the day before the exam off.

Actually study. Don't zone our or check facebook. I turned my cell phone OFF for the day except for lunch time. I'm not that important. No one will die if they can't reach me until 8pm. (I start at 7AM sharp, and go until 8PM, with about half an hour for lunch and two fifteen minute breaks). I'm pretty good at concentrating for long periods.

My exam scores:

3: 32 (VR 11, BS 10, PS 11)
4: 32 (VR 11, BS 11, PS 10)
5: 35 (VR 12, BS 12, PS 11)
6: 36 (VR 11, BS 12, PS 13)
7: 38 (VR 12, BS 13, PS 13)
8: 39 (VR 13, BS 12, PS 14)
9: 40 (VR 12, BS 13, PS 15)
10: 39 (VR 12, BS 12, PS 15)

My last practice AAMC was exactly the same as my actual AAMC. 1 point improvement in my VR, 2 points in my BS and 4 points in my PS, for a total of 7 point improvement from my first practice. PS was the easiest to improve due to my major so I already "knew" it and this just refreshed my memory, so it was quick gains as it all came back to me. Biology was slower in improving because it's not my major and I actually had to learn some stuff for the first time. VR not really much of an improvement.

Last edited:
PS=15 VR=12 WS=R BS=12 Composite=39R

Purchased all AAMC Tests. Start test 1. Take it under exam conditions, at the same time of my scheduled exam. Spend two and a half days (12 hour days, no facebook, email, or wasting time..actual 12 hours of studying) going over every single problem, whether I got it right or wrong. Every question I got wrong, or I guessed at all on, I would find the chapter in my book and do problems until I got five right in a row. Start test 2. Repeat for all 8 AAMC Tests.

My coursebooks and AAMC explanations.

All AAMC exams.

Math

Pay attention in your classes. The single best advice I can give you. Seriously. Learn the material right. Studying will be many times easier.

Approximately 30 days. Averaged a test every three days or thereabouts. Would take it in the morning, then spend the next 2.5 days going over it and then taking another. 12 hours a day, with Sundays off. And the day before the exam off.

Actually study. Don't zone our or check facebook. I turned my cell phone OFF for the day except for lunch time. I'm not that important. No one will die if they can't reach me until 8pm. (I start at 7AM sharp, and go until 8PM, with about half an hour for lunch and two fifteen minute breaks). I'm pretty good at concentrating for long periods.

My exam scores:

3: 32 (VR 11, BS 10, PS 11)
4: 32 (VR 11, BS 11, PS 10)
5: 35 (VR 12, BS 12, PS 11)
6: 36 (VR 11, BS 12, PS 13)
7: 38 (VR 12, BS 13, PS 13)
8: 39 (VR 13, BS 12, PS 14)
9: 40 (VR 12, BS 13, PS 15)
10: 39 (VR 12, BS 12, PS 15)

My last practice AAMC was exactly the same as my actual AAMC. 1 point improvement in my VR, 2 points in my BS and 4 points in my PS, for a total of 7 point improvement from my first practice. PS was the easiest to improve due to my major so I already "knew" it and this just refreshed my memory, so it was quick gains as it all came back to me. Biology was slower in improving because it's not my major and I actually had to learn some stuff for the first time. VR not really much of an improvement.

This is an excellent post, kudos to you! :thumbup:

I already took MCAT but just for curiosity, when you say "coursebook," do you mean your textbook? Or did you actually use practice materials than AAMC? I find it very surprising (in a good way) that you pulled your scores up that well because I've always thought that there are some info that are not covered by practice AAMCs but are fair game to the real exam (hence, the purpose of practice passages).

Of course, like you said, having a strong background in prerequisites definitely helps.

This is an excellent post, kudos to you! :thumbup:

I already took MCAT but just for curiosity, when you say "coursebook," do you mean your textbook? Or did you actually use practice materials than AAMC? I find it very surprising (in a good way) that you pulled your scores up that well because I've always thought that there are some info that are not covered by practice AAMCs but are fair game to the real exam (hence, the purpose of practice passages).

Of course, like you said, having a strong background in prerequisites definitely helps.

Textbooks. I don't trust the test-prep materials, though I know many people swear by them and it helps them. To me, I want to learn it the 'right' way, including the theoretical basis for the explanation. It might be a personal thing, but I just retain it better and understand it more if I spend the extra 30 minutes going over the textbook explanation.

Truthfully, I think the main difference, regardless of what source you use, is to actually concentrate instead of tweeting or going on fmylife or SDN all day. Same applies for undergrad studying. And secondly, paying attention to the 'why' of a question and why you got it right. And making sure, even when you got the question right, that you followed the appropriate line of logic. I only got a 12 on the BS, but I only took two bio courses and I think if I had studied an extra month, I could have improved that score more as well. PS lends itself more easier to that line of improvement since there is less of just 'knowing' and more of applying.

Textbooks. I don't trust the test-prep materials, though I know many people swear by them and it helps them. To me, I want to learn it the 'right' way, including the theoretical basis for the explanation. It might be a personal thing, but I just retain it better and understand it more if I spend the extra 30 minutes going over the textbook explanation.

Truthfully, I think the main difference, regardless of what source you use, is to actually concentrate instead of tweeting or going on fmylife or SDN all day. Same applies for undergrad studying. And secondly, paying attention to the 'why' of a question and why you got it right. And making sure, even when you got the question right, that you followed the appropriate line of logic. I only got a 12 on the BS, but I only took two bio courses and I think if I had studied an extra month, I could have improved that score more as well. PS lends itself more easier to that line of improvement since there is less of just 'knowing' and more of applying.

Interesting, I appreciate your response. You are certainly not the only one who pulled high scores by using textbooks, but it's pretty rare case even for SDN. If you don't mind sharing, could you list which textbooks you used?

The reason I'm asking this is because when I was studying for MCAT, I too initially had the same thinking as you, but soon realized that I was spending too much time learning extraneous materials. For instance, my weakest section of all was Biology, and my Gen Bio course used Biology, 8th edition, by Campbell. I did go through the powerpoint slides again, but compared to the level tested in the MCAT, I didn't think that the book sufficed. And more advanced textbooks - say Cell and Molecular Biology by Karp or Human Physiology by Vander - seemed to be too much into details than one could bear (and retain, more importantly) without taking the course with it.

Interesting, I appreciate your response. You are certainly not the only one who pulled high scores by using textbooks, but it's pretty rare case even for SDN.

Yea, I am not sure if it would work for everyone. I think it's interchangeable depending on your style - it was probably the least important part of my preparation.

If you don't mind sharing, could you list which textbooks you used?
The reason I'm asking this is because when I was studying for MCAT, I too initially had the same thinking as you, but soon realized that I was spending too much time learning extraneous materials. For instance, my weakest section of all was Biology, and my Gen Bio course used Biology, 8th edition, by Campbell. I did go through the powerpoint slides again, but compared to the level tested in the MCAT, I didn't think that the book sufficed. And more advanced textbooks - say Cell and Molecular Biology by Karp or Human Physiology by Vander - seemed to be too much into details than one could bear (and retain, more importantly) without taking the course with it.

I had the same textbook. It works exceedingly well for the PS sections (especially the 'concept' problems at the back of the book). And O-Chem too, though to a lesser degree. Biology is different...I skimmed it mostly on a given topic. Unless it was a subject I didn't know at all, in which case I spent a good five-six hours going over that chapter. Obviously I didn't care about that detail, but to me, learning it in that detail helped me get the overall picture much better. For example, I haven't taken Physiology, and renal physiology was mostly new to me, so I spent six good hours just going over and over it in great detail. I didn't have to look at it again because I got enough of a high level understanding (with a few details thrown in), that I could answer most of the questions.

However, with that said, Biology was undoubtedly my weakest subject. Assuming I got around ~6 questions wrong out of 52 for a 12 in BS, I bet all six were in biology. At least five were. I found, and maybe it was just me, that you needed surprisingly little outside knowledge for biology. Many of the answers seem to just come from a critical reading of the passage.

Last edited:
I had the same textbook. It works exceedingly well for the PS sections (especially the 'concept' problems at the back of the book). And O-Chem too, though to a lesser degree.

Sorry, I'm not following you on this part. Did you meant to state the name of the book or was it intentionally taken out?

I think that personally, one challenging part about PS with textbooks is that there isn't really that great textbook for the purpose of MCAT. I used two different GChem textbooks at my undergrad (one for inorganic and other one for analytical), and one had too much "fluff" and other one was way too advanced for the purpose of MCAT. In fact, I didn't understand titrations until I read TBR book because my textbook for analytical chem (Harris) went on details and some serious complex calculations that weren't in MCAT. My physics textbook was decent, but I felt like it didn't help much to the current trend of obscure passages.

Anyway, I appreciated your feedback. Hopefully, some people can find this discussion useful. :thumbup:

PS=10 VR=10 WS=M BS=10 Composite=30M

I started out with the Examcrackers set but it just wasn't enough. So I bought the Berkeley review books for Chem, Physics, and OChem. I would try to get through one chapter a day then do questions the next day. Let me say those books are incredible and saved me come test day. EK 101 verbal is also amazing. Don't focus on your verbal scores, but just use it as practice to increase your reading ability and comprehension.

As for my study schedule I set it up like the MCAT. On Monday I would start with PS, Tuesday was VR, and Wednesday was BS. This was repeated for the next 3 days and Sunday was a day to relax. After content review the last month was spent doing the AAMC exams with light review of the topics I needed to work on.

BS: EK and Bio 1001
PS: EK then BR
VR: EK 101
I also worked all the questions from The Official Guide to the MCAT Exam

All AAMC Exams and a few free ones
My exam scores:
3: 21 (VR 6, BS 7, PS 8) After EK but before BR
4: 26 (VR 8, BS 9, PS 9)
5: 28 (VR 8, BS 10, PS 10)
6: 28 (VR 9, BS 9, PS 10)
7: 28 (VR 8, BS 10, PS 10)
9: 28(VR 7, BS 10, PS 11)
8: 29 (VR 8, BS 11, PS 10)
10: 29 (VR 9, BS 10, PS 10)
AAMC Avg. 27.13 (My last 2 tests were 29s though)
. .5) What was your undergraduate major?..
Biology

I don't find my score amazing by any means. The only reason I'm posting is I believe no matter what your practice scores are as long as you are confident on the test day, something great might happen. I didn't score a 30 on any practice test, and never scored a 10 on verbal (which was my weakness). I'm just happy I got a balanced score and was able to pick my verbal up 4 points (started at a 6). I don't want to give anyone false hope that you can get a 30 without it showing on the practice tests, I am just saying miracles do happen.

About 5 months 1-2 hours a day. Test days were about 5 hours. The last week I picked it up to 8 hours a day..

Last edited:
PS=13 VR=13 WS=Q BS=11 Composite=37Q (5/22/10 test)

PS: I studied using a Kaplan book (2008-2009 Premier book, I think). I read the Physics and Chemistry sections. I also borrowed the Chemistry Examkrackers from a friend. I was averaging an 11 during my practice tests.

VR: I used the Kaplan book for this section. I really don't have any tips for this section as it basically sees if you can understand what the passage is trying to tell you. I've always been decent at passage based comprehension questions (I was averaging around a 10 in my practice tests) so I mainly focused on pacing.

BS: I studied Biology and Organic chemistry using the Kaplan book and also used the Organic Chemistry Examkrackers book. I would read through the chapter and then take the test at the end. Whatever weaknesses I found, I made sure to restudy those areas. I was averaging a 12 during my practice tests.

Kaplan MCAT 2008-2009 for all of the sections. I supplemented Chemistry and Organic with Examkrackers.

I took the practice test in the Kaplan book and also bought another Kaplan MCAT test book and took one of those tests. I purchased AAMC tests 7-10 and took those in the 2 weeks leading up to the exam.

Biomedical engineering. Learning about systems of human physiology was an enormous help on the bio section as I did not have to learn a lot of material. It was mainly review.

Take a lot of practice tests leading up to the exam. Don't burn yourself out though. I was worried about burning out but taking a practice test every other day wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I didn't have any commitments though (no work, etc.) so maybe I had more time to focus on studying. The AAMC tests are probably the best representations of the actual exam and are worth the investment of $35 per test. Look at the subjects you are constantly missing and make sure to hit those hard.

I started studying around January 2010 but I took a very loooooong break (laziness :laugh:). I started back up around finals (April 2010) and studied probably 4-5 hours a day for a good month leading up to the test. The last 2 weeks were mainly taking tests and then studying what I had missed. I felt like I didn't do a lot of studying compared to my friends and was pleasantly surprised with my score.

1. Your individual scores and composite score
14 PS
8 VR
14 BS
Q
Total 36Q

2. The study method used for each section
For PS, I read through the Kaplan review notes three times and did the chapter quizzes at the end. I took the Kaplan classroom prep course and while the classroom was pretty useless, the online stuff was gold. There were three physics sections on the online syllabus and I did every topical test, chapter test, and additional section tests twice. For questions I got wrong, I took screenshots and saved them to my computer to review them at a later date.

For VR, I didn't do a whole lot except for whatever was on the 6 FLs I did throughout two months. The last two weeks I did around 11 VR tests, but my scores fluctuated anywhere from getting 24/40 to 32/40. I'm not very good at, and hate, humanities passages. No amount of trying to convince myself that philosophy isn't wishy-washy changed that and it was reflected upon in my score. 8 is on the low side and I wished for a 10, but obviously it didn't happen. My VR scores on FLs ranged from 8-11 (one 8, one 9, three 10s, and one 11).

For BS, well, I am an undergraduate in microbiology and immunology so I didn't need to study stuff on bacteria, viruses, or genetics. I also took an anatomy class, which helped me out too. The problem I had with biology was physiology; I had no clue what the anterior pituitary made or what the hypothalamus made and how the hormones affect the body or any of that stuff. My strategy for BS was the same as physics.

For the writing sample, I did 8 essays, looked at a couple of practice essays, and took a course on technical writing in the summer while I was taking my Kaplan MCAT prep course to help me write better. I wasn't worried about the writing section at all.

3. What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
Kaplan review notes and online material and looking at some videos on Khan Academy about reproduction, homeostasis, and the endocrine system.

4. Which practice tests did you use?

Kaplan FLs 1-5 and AAMC 3.

5. What was your undergraduate major?
Microbiology & Immunology.

6. Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Relax. I can tell you that I wasn't stressed out about the MCAT. I'm not sure why since it was a big test. I guess it was just because I was looking forward to getting it done and enjoying the rest of my summer. It might help studying with one other person who's at a similar level to you academically, but I never bothered to.

7. How long did you study for the MCAT?
My Kaplan prep course started on May 1st where I did my diagnostic. I was behind on the material and didn't really pay attention in class because of the NHL playoffs. I started studying around June 10th about 1-2 hours a day but didn't get into hardcore studying (5-6 hours a day) until June 18th after my English course ended. So since my test was on July 29th, I studied for about 200 hours.

1. Your individual scores and composite score
VR= 12
PS= 09
BS= 10
WS= P
Total 31P

2. The study method used for each section
. What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
Only Examkrackers for ALL the sections. I get bored with studying, and their books made it easy to see an end in sight! I followed the 10 week self study, because I was too cheap to take a course. I tweaked it a bit, since I had 3 months. Plus AAMCs 3, 7,8,9, and 10.

PS-- Really, I didn't do so hot on this section. If I were to go back, I would definately do more problems that relied on calculations rather than just being conceptual based... I wasn't expecting so many longish calculations on the real deal, and it hurt my score (obviously!)

VR-- Honestly, I loved EK for the 101 Verbal. Before I really started hammering it out, I was at 9s/10s on AAMCs. I thinks taking several philosophy classes were definately helpful, and make sure to practice multiple passages (preferably the same amount as on real MCATs) in a row, timed. Getting the hang of timing I think is a big deal. Be an arrogant reader!

BS-- Honestly, being a bio major the biology wasn't an issue. My weakness in organic is what kept me from really taking advantage of this section. I just really, realllly hate organic, so I didn't review much except for the EK book.

4. Which practice tests did you use?
AAMC 3, and 7-10.

5. What was your undergraduate major?
Biology.

6. Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Don't get overly stressed. Yes, it's a big deal, but remember there is a finite amount of information, and worse case you can re-take. If when studying you start to dread opening your books, take a break. I know I took probably 3, 3-4 day breaks during my 3 months of studying because I was buring out. And don't feel guilty about it! You don't need to become a total hermit--take the random evening to still hang out with your friends or whatever!

AND this is maybe overkill, but I made excel spreadsheets with ALL the topics for PS and BS, and after I took a full lenght I entered the fraction right on that topic tested. It helped me zone in on studying, and I know for a fact that the test date I had hit a couple areas that showed up as weak after taking a couple AAMCs. I had made a point to review those, and it didn't hurt as bad as it could have.

7. How long did you study for the MCAT?
3 ish months with a few breaks. I tweaked the EK home study guide to fit into that time frame. I printed off a calender, and filled out what chapter I would cover on what day. Helped keep me accountable, and if I missed a day I would just write it in on my day off or whatever. Averaged 6 days a week, with a FL usually being on the 6th day. I worked full time, so probably did on average 3 hours of review a night, 5 days a week. I might suggest only working partime, evening studying is hard after being at work until 6pm !

PS=13 VR=10 WS=S BS=11 Composite=34S (for 8/5/10)

For PS and BS, used Examkrakers for some content review and practice questions, along with doing old Kaplan tests one section at a time. I also, to a small extent, used my physics, orgo, and bio textbooks as an occasional reference. I had just taken orgo, physics, and bio the spring semester before so most of the info was rather fresh, but I was still somewhat shaky and human phys/anatomy since my college bio class didn't cover it (only prior exposure was from AP bio) and also on general chem since I never took it in college (only AP chem my senior yr in hs).

VR: practiced w/ Examkrakers and a bit of Kaplan tests. How well you actually do on test day in this section has a huge dependence on luck and the specific sets of passages + questions you get that day. I was getting 7-9s on most AAMCs but jumped to a 10 on the real thing.

WS: just did a few of the sample prompts on the AAMCs, nothing else. Just make sure you answer all three questions and make your paragraph transitions coherent.

Kaplan, Barrons, Examkrakers, AAMC

AAMC 3 and 7 - 10, Older Kaplan tests, a few Barron's tests (till I found out how crappy and useless they were), Examkrackers, sample diagnostic test from PR.

Haven't declared yet, but I'm probably gonna do Chemistry and Economics.

Don't rush through your studying, but also don't drag it on too long (no greater than 3 months) or you might forget some of the material you studied at first. Like most people will tell you, the MCAT is mostly a thinking and reasoning test instead of one of rote memorization, so practice makes perfect. Trying imitating testing conditions as closely as possible by a) using mostly AAMCs b) timing yourself appropriately for each section c) take 10 minute breaks btwn sections like on the real thing.

2 and half months for about 3 hrs/day, 5 hrs on a few days when I took FLs. I personally tried to rush a bit and took this test after my freshmen year in undergrad, and I believe I can do a lot better (high 30s to 40+), so I'm gonna retake next summer after taking some upper level sciences this year to better train my critical thinking skills (which, I will say again, is what most of the MCAT tests). And next time, I'm probably gonna cut down the studying time to about a month max since I'll already be exposed to a lot of the concepts from my classes and have already studied once for this beast.

Last edited:
PS=13 VR=10 WS=S BS=11 Composite=34S (for 8/5/10)

For PS and BS, used Examkrakers for some content review and practice questions, along with doing old Kaplan tests one section at a time. I also, to a small extent, used my physics, orgo, and bio textbooks as an occasional reference. I had just taken orgo, physics, and bio the spring semester before so most of the info was rather fresh, but I was still somewhat shaky and human phys/anatomy since my college bio class didn't cover it (only prior exposure was from AP bio) and also on general chem since I never took it in college (only AP chem my senior yr in hs).

VR: practiced w/ Examkrakers and a bit of Kaplan tests. How well you actually do on test day in this section has a huge dependence on luck and the specific sets of passages + questions you get that day. I was getting 7-9s on most AAMCs but jumped to a 10 on the real thing.

WS: just did a few of the sample prompts on the AAMCs, nothing else. Just make sure you answer all three questions and make your paragraph transitions coherent.

Kaplan, Barrons, Examkrakers, AAMC

AAMC 3 and 7 - 10, Older Kaplan tests, a few Barron's tests (till I found out how crappy and useless they were), Examkrackers, sample diagnostic test from PR.

Haven't declared yet, but I'm probably gonna do Chemistry and Economics.

Don't rush through your studying, but also don't drag it on too long (no greater than 3 months) or you might forget some of the material you studied at first. Like most people will tell you, the MCAT is mostly a thinking and reasoning test instead of one of rote memorization, so practice makes perfect. Trying imitating testing conditions as closely as possible by a) using mostly AAMCs b) timing yourself appropriately for each section c) take 10 minute breaks btwn sections like on the real thing.

2 and half months for about 3 hrs/day, 5 hrs on a few days when I took FLs. I personally tried to rush a bit and took this test after my freshmen year in undergrad, and I believe I can do a lot better (high 30s to 40+), so I'm gonna retake next summer after taking some upper level sciences this year to better train my critical thinking skills (which, I will say again, is what most of the MCAT tests). And next time, I'm probably gonna cut down the studying time to about a month max since I'll already be exposed to a lot of the concepts from my classes and have already studied once for this beast.

Great score!

Last edited:
PS=13 VR=11 WS=S BS=14 Composite=38S

PS&BS: Examkrackers book supplemented by textbooks. Mostly used the Examkrackers book and whenever I wasn't clear on something, I would consult the textbook. Also borrowed the TPR workbook from a friend for more practice.
VR: Did practice questions Examkrackers Verbal 101.
WS: Searched for a number of examples that could be used. One great practice can be found in Youtube! (type MCAT Strategy writing sample - there is this guy who made up tutorials to help you get through WS yay:D)

Examkrackers complete study package
Examkrackers verbal 101
TPR workbook

Just the AAMC tests 3, 4, and 5

Pathobiology and Laboratory Medicine specialist

I was really worried that the Examkrackers complete study package would not be enough, but it turned out to be quite sufficient. Just remember to supplement with textbooks from time to time.
For PS, focus more on chemistry than physics. There were hardly any physics questions but lots of difficult g chem questions.
If you majored in biology, don't worry about BS at all. It was a breeze. Everything we learned and been tested over and over again in school.

Be sure to exercise a lot during the study process! it really helps you maintain your sanity. :p

3 months, 6 hours a day, 6 days a week (intense!)
If you have a lot of self-discipline, then do not take an mcat course. Total waste of money!

32O
Diagnostic: Middle 10s.
Don't give a Crap about writing (essay) section especially after a diagnostic
in the mid 10s- the only essay practice i did under timed conditions was
AAMC 3...I just read the essay solutions for the other practice tests listed below.
10VR, 10BS, 12PS

What I did:
NO Preparation Course I just bought books off Amazon.

Kaplan Premier Program book and all the online quizzes and practice tests for premier program book
(about 3 online with premier program)
After just reading the premier book I was getting 17 out of 45...then it hit me that practice was
important...thanks SDN.
Kaplan Mcat Practice test book (2 tests)
Kaplan Mcat Advanced Strategies for a 45
Examkrackers MCAT complete study package do ALL questions
AAMC 3,4,and 5
Total Study Time: 8 months (interrupted by classes)- 3 months in summer 2009, then 1 month fall 2009,
then in December, May june july summer 2010 for total of 8

Study at the same time so u don't forget preferably during the summer
it sucks to study while taking classes
Examkrackers is a gift from God
Kaplan was pretty darn good too.
***Kaplan verbal provided very solid preparation for me...However a lot of people don't
like Kaplan Verbal...so it depends on the person...in addition I also did 3 verbals with the aamcs
and 1 from the examkrackers complete study package.

Last edited:
34S. PS 12, BS and V: 11

Berkeley Rev classroom course.

When I first took the course, I had only done one semester of everything,
Ochem, physics, bio, finished gchem the summer before.
So it is understandable that I was adequately freaked out. I'm a postbac.
I started taking classes in May of 2009 and I'm applying this year.
After the course, I went back to the next cycle to sit in on a couple lectures.
That helped too because by this point, I had learned the material in a regular classroom already.

I did a lot of the evens of 1001 series
Did almost all the psgs in TBR twice. yes I remember some of the psgs and answers, but I think it was helpful

Verbal: EK1001
Writing: Dug up some my GRE stuff, read the economist's background stuff for two hours looking for some weird interesting facts.

5R, 6R, 7R, 8R, 10 (the CBT)

Communication studies, global studies

I knew so little ochem it was ridiculous. I pretty much guestimated on all the ochem questions. I'm sure my BS score would've been better if I didn't suck so much at ochem.

I did all TBR stuff and EK 1001 stuff almost exclusively. Some sections of Ek1001 I did most of the even, some sucky areas like ochem, i did almost all of them and some parts of physics.

For while, I'd do one section of TBR CBT everyday before dinner (didn't bother with verbal though). Grade it, review a bit. Go to sleep. Then do the same section again the next day. Of course, I'd get 100% this time. That's how I always studied for everything in my life. Redo the stuff I missed a few times until it sticks.

I did not do AAMC until a few weeks before the exam, because TBR stuff is really difficult, when I looked at AAMC I didn't feel it was too hard. I actually studied this way for the GRE, one section at a time, and didn't do much real practice until vaguely near the time date, because I knew if I did too many full length I'd be just burn out.

Honestly, the only full length real test condition test I did was AAMC 10 CBT, two days before the test. I still watched 20 minutes of TV during that. Not totally real test condition.

Anyways, I just wanted to say. I took my classes at a state school that I didn't consider but rigorous , and I actually haven't yet taken orgo 2 yet. (budget cut, didn't get into the class this semester)
There were so many topics on the MCAT that weren't covered very well in the classes. I had to learn a LOT on my own.
When I compared what I learned in class with people I know from my undergrad institution, I feel a little cheated for my money.

However, this shows that the MCAT is definitely doable even given my social studies background and minimal science preparation.

I was also not a good studier -
I studied about 3 hours a day for most days of the week for about 2 months,
then I was burnt out for 2 weeks. Studied for 2 more weeks, on top of things.
Then about 3 weeks before the exam - I did nothing.
I'd get up, do yoga, watch TV, work on my business, work, go hiking, moan about the mcat.... yeah.. so I'm definitely not like most of people on here who are on here, but I still did okay.

Something about verbal -
I didn't speak English at all until I moved to this country at 13, but to remedy my weakness I did major in social science in college.
However, to study verbal - I had this attitude of extreme judgmental thing going on.
For example, if there is the psg is saying blah blah, oh this kind of technology is not good and won't survive,
i would think "what? so you are a racist for this kind of technology? why? why does it bug you? I like this perfectly fine! you technology racist! Wel, so what do you suggest? exerterminate this tecnology like the Nazis?" then the psg always proceeds to explain all those things and proceeds to ask you questions about them.

I just wanted to say that you don't need to be perfect to get a good score nor do you need to be a biochemist or something

I started in Jan, and the first few months were mostly freak outs.
I started more intensively in June and took the test early august.
I just remember that people say 300 hours on avg for MCAT, so I made sure I went over that. Although I was inconsistent, I'm sure I did go over those hours of focused studying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.