30+ MCAT Study Habits- The CBT Version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

omegaxx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Your individual scores and composite score
PS=14 VR=13 WS=Q BS=14 Composite=41Q

2) The study method used for each section
PS&BS: Reviewed all the materials (except Organic Chem, because I just finished a year long O. Chem course and knew it like the back of my hand). Practiced.
VR: Practice, practice, practice.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
Princeton Review all the way.

4) Which practice tests did you use?
Princeton Review all the way.
I also bought AAMC 4-6 for building confidence two weeks before the actual exam.

5) What was your undergraduate major?
Pharmacology & English, although I took the exam after sophomore year so I just had the prereq sciences and five English courses under my belt.

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Read smartly, and read a lot, not just textbooks and scientific papers and newspaper, but also materials in the humanities department.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?
2.5 months (~10 weeks), averaging ~3 hrs/day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
PS=9 VR=12 WS=R BS=12 Composite=33R

PS&BS: Used SN2D's four month schedule and used the TBR books.
VR: Practice, practice, practice with EK 101 and TPR hyper learning plus kaplan and TBR passages

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
TBR and kaplan. Mixed and matched
Kaplan 1-5
TBR 1-7
AAMC 3-11 i got a paper version of 6

Huma biology, what helped me most on my biology section especially was my upper level genetics and micro classes. Got unlucky with my Physics being so math heavy so thats the 9 for ya.

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Dont put too much stake into your diagnostic scores, I got an 18 on my first test and rose to a 33, averaging a 33 on my practice AAMC's. Also, dont ever look at a topic and think this subject has a slim chance of actually appearing on the real thing because thats what did it for me on physics. Other than that, be confident in your studying and beast on test day.

5 months, probably 2-3 hours a day during fall semester then hit around 7 a day over winter break and first two weeks in january.

PS: 11, VR: 10, BS: 10, WS: S.
Composite: 31S

I took the Kaplan MCAT prep course from September 2011 until December 2011. I did ALL of the homework, all of the quizzes, online resources such as the QBank. The high yield problems and online notes were especially helpful for me (somehow moreso than the book versions). I used Kaplan books to prepare for all of the sections and used my humanities background to prepare for the Writing Section. I also used Examkracker for VR but I'm not sure how much it helped in the long run--my scores didn't change much on practices.

Kaplan for PS, VR, BS
ExamKrackers 101 for VR

I am a History major which did not help me in any of the science sections obviously, but it kind of helped in VR and DEFINITELY helped in Writing. I know people tend to skip over Writing as not that big of a deal but I think my "S" looks quite nice haha.

Like many others have said, don't worry SO much about your diagnostic and/or practice scores. My diagnostic Kaplan was a 19 (terrible, but before any biology at all). I also plateaued at 29 on my practice exams (AAMC and Kaplan). I took AAMC 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 and Kaplan 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and never broke a 29 on ANY of them. I was praying to break a 30 on the test and was UNBELIEVABLY HAPPY when I saw I got a 31!

I studied from September to January (January 28, 2012 MCAT). I was taking a full courseload last semester, including Principles of Biology (101). The fact that I had no biology background forced me to study a lot more for BS, because I had to teach myself almost everything. The majority of bio on the MCAT is systems/molec stuff which I still haven't learned in second semester Bio. I studied about 15 hours a week during the semester and then for 5 weeks over winter break I would say 45-50 hours a week. I also did practice tests almost every other day those last 5 weeks, but I started to burn out, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it...

Such a long, crazy, stressful, terrible process...but the end result is the greatest thing ever :love:

Yay! I'm so glad I can finally post here :)

1) Individual & Composites
Take 1: PS: 12 VR: 7 BS: 11 W: S Composite: 30S (Sept. 10, 2011)
Take 2: PS: 14 VR: 9 BS: 12 W: T Composite: 35T (Jan. 28, 2012)

2) Study Method
Take 1: I started SN2ed's schedule about 2 weeks late, so I was playing catch up the entire time. Most days I would spend 6-8 hours studying. My schedule would be: Read/take notes on the chapter, then time myself doing the first 1/3 passages directly after. I would then do my Verbal practice for the day (usually 3 or 4 passages), then take a lunch break. Following that, I then read/took notes for the second chapter (if I decided to do a second, which I usually did). That was followed by timed passages.
The next day, the very first thing I would do is review passages from the last day. I would go through and make sure I understood the explanations, and if I got one wrong, I wouldn't look at the explanation until I figured out what I did wrong. If I couldn't figure out, then I would check the explanation once - then go back and try and solve it again. I did this until I was sure that I could catch my mistake next time.

The second time around, I had exhausted TBR, so I went with the EK book set that I had bought in addition to TBR. Each day, I read 1 or 2 chapters and did the practice passages in the EK book for them. I also pumped my reading schedule a LOT - the Economist, the Atlantic, Malcolm Gladwell essays, etc. This was over winter break in conjunction with research, so I just brushed up on the topics and memorized equations again and the like.

In January, I did nothing but practice, practice and more practice. I bought a TPRH Science Workbook which was nothing but well over 600 pages of PS and BS passages and problems. Each day, I would do 1 or 2 subjects' worth of passages - this averaged out to about five to six passages per day. My test was Saturday at 1PM, so I took the TBR practice tests on Saturdays at 1PM. I also fit one on free Tuesdays/Thursdays, whichever one I had could spare the time for. All in all, this worked out pretty well and I was able to complete 2 practice tests a week and 1 the week of my test, exhausting all of the TBR tests right up until the real thing.

3) Study Materials
Take 1: SN2ed's plan: TBR and EK Bio with the 1001 questions, and EK 101.
Take 2: I used EK the second time around to review and summarize the concepts for the first month. Having exhausted TBR and EK 101 for VR, I bought a used TPRH Verbal Workbook and TPRH Science Workbook and just did practice, practice, practice. I also bought the first five TBR CBTs and exhausted those as well. All in all, the second attempt, I spent about 2 months studying.

4) Practice Tests
AAMC 3 PS: 12 VR: 11 BS: 14 Composite: 37
AAMC 4 PS: 12 VR: 12 BS: 14 Composite: 38
AAMC 5 PS: 11 VR: 11 BS: 12 Composite: 34
AAMC 7 PS: 11 VR: 11 BS: 11 Composite: 33
AAMC 8 PS: 10 VR: 11 BS: 12 Composite: 33
AAMC 9 PS: 11 VR: 11 BS: 12 Composite: 34
AAMC 10 PS: 14 VR: 11 BS: 13 Composite: 38
AAMC 11 PS: 13 VR: 11 BS: 14 Composite: 38
Average: 35.6

In terms of test order, I went 5 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 3 - 4 - 11

For TBR tests, they do not give you a precise breakdown of score, only a range. Based on their scale, I would say my scores ranged around 32 to 34.

5) Undergraduate Major
Molecular Genetics and French double major. Take 1 was over the summer after my sophomore year and Take 2 was during winter break/January.

6) Tips?
DON'T GET DISCOURAGED! And when you practice, time yourself consistently and more rigorously than the actual test. That way, you can have even MORE time on the test and not panic when you realize you're going at a slower pace. When I started out, I averaged 7-9 minutes per passage. As I got closer to both tests, I shaved that time down to 4-6 minutes per passage. This includes reading AND answering all questions. Not to mention, when I started - I was being absolutely slaughtered by TBR Physics and Biology. I routinely got 3 or 2 out of 7 right. As time went on, I adjusted, adapted and ended up routinely getting 5 or 6 out of 7!

And did I mention DON'T GET DISCOURAGED? As you see, I averaged a 35.6 and got a 30 on the real thing. I was pretty disappointed but I knew that my potential was not a 30. It was at least where my practice was. And upon reflection, I realized just how burnt out and tired I was during the real thing. In addition, I would hazard a guess and say that because I did not know the whole room security procedure, the uncertainty of it all threw me off. With this in mind, I chose to retake - and I'm extremely glad I spent the effort to do so.

So, for those who are unfamiliar with Prometric, here is a typical procedure:
1. You arrive at the testing center.
2. You wait in line to get a Computer Number and locker key.
3. You obtain said Number and key. Take your driver's license/form of ID out of your wallet and PLACE IT IN YOUR POCKET.
4. Place your snack, water, keys, wallet, etc. in the locker. Lock it.
5. At this point, you should have only your locker key and ID on yourself. You will not need anything else.
6. You wait in line as the Testing center staff will begin to sign people into the system. They will scan your license onto their computer and take a picture before the test for their system.
7. They will scan you with a handheld detector for metal, etc. (think airport security)
8. They will also take fingerprints of your index finger, both right and left hand.
9. At some point here, you will receive a scratch work booklet and a good number of pencils.
10. You are ready. They send you in, you sit down at your computer and the test starts. At this point, it is identical to an AAMC test, including format on the PC.
11. Once you're done with a section, you will take your number card with you and exit the room. Once outside, they will flip a binder with registrant names inside to yours truly and you will "sign out" - that is, sign your signature and time you signed out. This is your break time between sections.
12. At this point, you can go to your locker and snack, relax a bit, drink, etc.
13. Keep track of your time. The next part is what threw me off the first time as I did not anticipate it.
14. To re-enter the room, you will have to once again sign in in the registrant binder, as well as the time.
15. They will sweep you again with the detector.
16. You will need to place your fingerprint on their detector - once it matches, you're good to head back in.
17. Rinse and repeat to the next section, and so forth.
18. Once the BS section is done, you will have the opportunity to void your exam or not. There is a five-minute timer to decide.
19. Upon deciding if you want to void or not, you will have to fill out a survey by the AAMC concerning the testing center, quality and whatnot.
20. When the survey is finished, you can leave the room. Take all your scratch paper and pencils and stuff with you. They will print out an officially marked letter from the AAMC confirming that you will follow confidentiality policies, and you get to take this with you as a reminder.
21. Congratulations, you have just finished the MCAT! :cool:

This might not be terribly useful for most, but I'm someone who, when studying, wants to get most, if not every small detail down so I'm not surprised or thrown off-kilter.

If I missed anything here, please let me know! I know it's difficult to really get a sense for the rhythm of the actual center, but hopefully this can provide some measure of insight.

In addition, and I know this is a highly variable and hard idea: DO NOT GET HUNG UP ON A PASSAGE! If you encounter one that targets a weak topic of yours, DO NOT WASTE EXTRA TIME ON IT. This also applies to individual questions. There is no sense in averaging under a minute per question only to actually waste five minutes on the real thing. If you must, mark it and move on. Then, with your extra time, come back and use some of it up.

Finally, take your practice tests seriously. Do not look anything up, do not think, "Oh, I can come back and etc...". Treat it as a real test and you'll feel at home come test day. Time yourself strictly to the minute, because if you grow comfortable with extra time, it's going to throw you off considerably during the real thing. Once you take a practice test, it essentially becomes unusable for quite a while, so make the most of the ones you take.

7) How Long?
All said, approximately five months. Though this was split into the three summer months and December/January combinations. It's going to be a long process - just know that you're not alone. Also, once you set a schedule and routine and follow it to a T - it will pay dividends much longer down the road. One simply needs to have the patience and will to tough out the extremely rough initial steps.

A final note - writing this was incredibly cathartic. I'm just glad to be past the whole process of studying and waiting for the damn scores. As many will say, the wait post-test is definitely the worst part of the entire ordeal. To anyone who reads this, I hope I was helpful! Good luck to those who still have to take the test. :luck:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Been waiting for a year to post in this thread.

1) Your individual scores and composite score:

Composite: 37P
PS=14
VR=11
Writing=P
BS=12

2) The study method used for each section:

Verbal Reasoning: I did as much practice as I could, but I didn't see much improvement. I kind of accepted that I'd be somewhere between 10 and 12 and I just hoped for the best. I ended up hitting my AAMC average (11), so I'm happy with that.

Physical Sciences: TBR is boss. Felt like it was my weakness when I started studying and it ended up being my strength. Read through chapters and did TBR passages, which definitely prepared my for the real MCAT.

Biological Sciences: Read through EK bio as many times as I could until I essentially had everything memorized. Used TBR for orgo and, even though it is very thorough, I felt like it was doable (it helps that orgo was my strength coming in).

Writing Section: Nothing.

From a more macroscopic view, I pretty much separated content and passages from TBR, which a lot of people advise against. I did content review for three months (while a full time student) and then passages for a month and a half.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc):

Physics: TBR
Gen Chem: TBR
Bio: EK
Orgo: TBR
VR: EK101 and TPR Hyperlearning

AAMC 3,4,5,7,8,9,10,11 with an average ~36 and range of 34-39

Medical Microbiology and Immunology

Oh boy...where to start. First off, everyone is different, so find your best study strategy. Personally, I HATE rigid schedules; I found this out when I was training for my first marathon two years ago. For me, having a long term goal and a general pathway to get there is all I need. A lot of other people need more structure, though, so Sn2ed's schedule is a great option. Find out what works best for you.

Use TBR for Gen Chem and Physics. Seriously. A lot of my friends here have asked me what I used to study and when I say TBR, I get blank looks. Like I said earlier, the PS section went from my weakness to getting a 14 and the credit goes to TBR. Alright, I'll stop pimping TBR now.

Do not freak out if you don't score well on a practice test. Your average is much more important. I was soooo skeptical of this, but I ended up scoring right in the middle of my range (34-39).

You will probably feel like crap after the test. And your feelings will probably be wrong. I got out of my test almost certain that my VR would be between 7 and 9, yet I ended up being right on my average of 11. I remembered two questions in PS that I wasn't certain about and solved them in my head one night...I was wrong on both. I thought I'd get a 13 at the highest in PS because of this but probably even lower. Ended up with a 14. I thought BS was my strongest section and honestly felt I'd be in the 14-15 range. Got a 12. All my post-test feelings were wrong.

My final tip for now would be to take the January test if possible. I cannot imagine a better date, especially if your summer is busy. I was able to do content review and TBR passages while taking 16 credits during the fal and then had a full month of Christmas break to take practice tests.

2 months of content review (average 1.5 hours/day)
1.5 months TBR passages (average 2 hours/day)
1 month practice tests (average 5 hours/day)

As a disclaimer, I wouldn't exactly recommend my study strategy. Yes, it worked perfectly for me, but it's definitely not for everyone. Send me a PM or reply in this thread if you have any questions, though!

Good luck with the studying!

Last edited:
Been waiting for a year to post in this thread.

PS=14
VR=11
Writing=P
BS=12
Composite: 37P

Verbal Reasoning: I did as much practice as I could, but I didn't see much improvement. I kind of accepted that I'd be somewhere between 10 and 12 and I just hoped for the best. I ended up hitting my AAMC average (11), so I'm happy with that.

Physical Sciences: TBR is boss. Felt like it was my weakness when I started studying and it ended up being my strength. Read through chapters and did TBR passages, which definitely prepared my for the real MCAT.

Biological Sciences: Read through EK bio as many times as I could until I essentially had everything memorized. Used TBR for orgo and, even though it is very thorough, I felt like it was doable (it helps that orgo was my strength coming in).

Writing Section: Nothing.

From a more macroscopic view, I pretty much separated content and passages from TBR, which a lot of people advise against. I did content review for three months (while a full time student) and then passages for a month and a half.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc):

Bio: EK
Orgo: TBR
VR: EK101 and TPR Hyperlearning

AAMC 3,4,5,7,8,9,10,11 with an average ~36 and range of 34-39

Medical Microbiology and Immunology

Oh boy...where to start. First off, everyone is different, so find your best study strategy. Personally, I HATE rigid schedules; I found this out when I was training for my first marathon two years ago. For me, having a long term goal and a general pathway to get there is all I need. A lot of other people need more structure, though, so Sn2ed's schedule is a great option. Find out what works best for you.

Use TBR for Gen Chem and Physics. Seriously. A lot of my friends here have asked me what I used to study and when I say TBR, I get blank looks. Like I said earlier, the PS section went from my weakness to getting a 14 and the credit goes to TBR. Alright, I'll stop pimping TBR now.

Do not freak out if you don't score well on a practice test. Your average is much more important. I was soooo skeptical of this, but I ended up scoring right in the middle of my range (34-39).

My final tip for now would be to take the January test if possible. I cannot imagine a better date, especially if your summer is busy. I was able to do content review and TBR passages while taking 16 credits during the fal and then had a full month of Christmas break to take practice tests.

2 months of content review (average 1.5 hours/day)
1.5 months TBR passages (average 2 hours/day)
1 month practice tests (average 5 hours/day)

As a disclaimer, I wouldn't exactly recommend my study strategy. Yes, it worked perfectly for me, but it's definitely not for everyone. Send me a PM or reply in this thread if you have any questions, though!

Good luck with the studying!

hey, i am a fellow 1/28 taker and had been following your posts on the 1/28 thread...looks like your feelings for verbal proved to be inaccurate. Congrats on the amazing score!

hey, i am a fellow 1/28 taker and had been following your posts on the 1/28 thread...looks like your feelings for verbal proved to be inaccurate. Congrats on the amazing score!

Thanks, I appreciate it! Thank goodness I was wrong on VR... Now that you mention it, I'm gonna edit my original post and add my post-test feelings

@Bauman1535
congrats on rockin it :)
what were you scoring on the TBR passages-were you in the 14 range according to their grading scale?

@Bauman1535
congrats on rockin it :)
what were you scoring on the TBR passages-were you in the 14 range according to their grading scale?

Thanks! And heck no haha...I had between an 11 and 12 average overall for physics, gen chem, and orgo. TBR has some brutal passages. I did average a 13 on the PS section for AAMCs, though, fwiw.

Thanks! And heck no haha...I had between an 11 and 12 average overall for physics, gen chem, and orgo. TBR has some brutal passages. I did average a 13 on the PS section for AAMCs, though, fwiw.

Do you know what you were averaging on the TPR verbal workbook tests and EK 101 tests?

and congrats on the score

Do you know what you were averaging on the TPR verbal workbook tests and EK 101 tests?

and congrats on the score

Thanks! And I think my EK101/TPR Hyperlearning average was probably closer to a 10 than 11. I found a lot of explanations (from both) slightly frustrating. I preferred TPRH over EK, though. Better layout of the book, better passages, and more concise and straightforward answers.

I got burned out by AAMC 11 and got a 9 on VR for that test. Took two days off and then took the second full length VR test for TPRH. I got a 13 and that definitely gave me confidence going into the real test.

So, I'm a nontrad working a full-time postdoc. Four years ago I was thinking about medicine, took the MCAT and got a 30 (after getting crushed in VR with a 6, 10 = bio, 14 = phys). Anyway, I changed my approach this time and used EK for content pre-review of Bio sciences and verbal and TBR for everything else (last time was TPR course) except hyperlearning and EK 1001 for verbal. It made all the difference in the world.

PS=14
VR=10
Writing=Q
BS=13
Composite: 37Q

Verbal Reasoning: Practice, practice, practice with EK's overarching strategies. Main idea, main idea, main idea, but... you do need to rmr details too. I can't stress enough that you have to find something that works for you. This was never my best section, I'm a engineer / physicist damnit, but jumping from a 6 to a 10 was colossal. TPR did not work for me after trying it for a long time. EK did after picking it up 6 weeks till the exam (like an idiot). Also... don't forget to take a slow breath before each passage to center yourself. I'm not a hippy. That comes from EK strategies and it had a big effect on me. Don't limit it to verbal, either.

Physical Sciences: TBR is pretty dang good. For me, the biggest worry was GChem with my physics background in engineering. TBR practice passages are the best thing you can do. Period.

Biological Sciences: EK for content pre-review. TBR for additional content review (since it goes over different stuff and in more detail) and of course, the dreaded TBR practice passages. They will slaughter you, well they slaughtered me, especially in the beginning. Remember, TBR passages are typically as hard as hard MCAT passages. If you can become decent / good at them, the MCAT will work out for you. It did for me.

Writing Section: Jacksh*t. Total waste of time.

Bio: EK, TBR
Orgo: EK, TBR
VR: EK101 and TPR Hyperlearning. They're both really good. In my mind EK 101 is harder and consistently brought the hammer to me. I got a 12 on my first AAMC practice (#3) and was never able to equal. To be honest, VR remained kind of a crapshoot for me and I was very happy with the 10 I got. My brain is just not wired for that stuff. But, unlike before, it was an "educated" crapshoot.

AAMC 3,4,5,7,8,9,10,11 with an average ~35 and range of 33-37 (all 35+ except 33 on #11 which was easily the hardest one to me, including my real deal on Jan 27th)

Nuclear engineering. Grad school in mechanical / nuclear engineering. Postdocs in nuc med and rad onc.

SN2ed has a good schedule, I stuck with it as best I could, but the schedule I ended up with was pretty bare bones compared to that outline. I did what I could, a postdoc is not really fun and games, hahahahha. Still, I'm grateful to SN2ed, it's a fine schedule. TBR all the way with some EK sprinkled in.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. Do not get discouraged. Do not take it personally. You must go at this test everyday. It is meant to be very hard. Expect the hard passages (TBR) to kick you in the mouth, at least at first. Don't give up. Everything I did was worth it.

During the 10-minute intro before each test I meditated for 8-10 minutes. Same with each break after I had a snack to fuel-up (particularly after the writing section). This will help keep your mind sharp and not wander. Focus on your breath. I know this sounds corny, but it wont when you see your score improve, hahahah.

2 months of pre-content review for bio sciences (average 2-3 hours/day)
3-4 months content review / passages (average 3-4 hours/wk day, 4-5 / wkend day)
10 AAMC practice tests, which are literally the best thing you can do. Take all of them. It is worth it. It's like content review and practice in one. When reviewing you somehow remember better b/c it is a test. Also, you start to understand the flow of the test. For example, if the first passage you see in any section is hard you may freak the hell out if you're an inexperienced test taker. "No! the whole thing is gonna be like this! Crrraaaaapppp!" It's not. Know the ebb and flow of the test and your confidence will rise.

PS: 12 VR: 10 BS: 14 W: Q Composite: 36Q (Jan 27, 2012)

2) Study Method
I took a Kaplan course in June 2011 with the intention of taking the MCAT in October. I work full time and had a lot of trouble keeping up with assignments and eventually fell so far behind I decided to cancel my MCAT date. I retook the class a second time, made sure I did all the prep work and as many of their resources as I could. The class ended in mid January. I tried to follow SN2ed's schedule at the same time, but it eventually became too much with my time constraints. I think if I hadn't taken the Kaplan course I definitely could have focused on SN2ed's schedule. In my final month of preparation (Kaplan was on break over most of December), I focused the majority of my attention on doing the Berkeley Review problems for practice. I think those practice passages is what really helped me understand the material--I never would have done well if I had used the Kaplan course alone. I did a couple of the subject tests in Kaplan, but those problems didn't feel like an accurate portrayal of the MCATs, more like problems out of a textbook. I didn't take my Kaplan FLs when they recommended it in the course. I took it all towards the end of the course when I felt I had enough content review under my belt. I took as many FLs as I could without killing myself. Since I had the Kaplan course, they provide the AAMC exams, the AAMC explanations, and Kaplan's explanations. I stuck to the AAMC explanations most of the time, but if I wasn't satisfied with something I would jump to the Kaplan's explanations and that generally helped clear things up for me.

3) Study Materials

Kaplan Books
Berkeley Review for Practice. The BR chapters are more thorough and in depth, with better tricks and tips. But they were also denser and it took me a lot longer to go through the chapters compared Kaplan. Kaplan was better for just the basics (though they try to be cute with annoying stories) and quick summaries.
I had Princeton Review and EK as well, but I just had more books than time, unfortunately, and I triaged my studying instead.

4) Practice Tests

Kaplan Diagnostic PS: 7 VR: 7 BS: 9 Composite: 23
Kaplan 1 PS: 11 VR: 11 BS: 11 Composite: 33
Kaplan 2 PS: 11 VR: 9 BS: 11 Composite: 31
Kaplan 3 PS: 10 VR: 8 BS: 12 Composite: 30
Kaplan 4 PS: 12 VR: 11 BS: 11 Composite: 34
AAMC 7 PS: 13 VR: 9 BS: 12 Composite: 34
AAMC 8 PS: 11 VR: 11 BS: 10 Composite: 32
AAMC 9 PS: 12 VR: 11 BS: 12 Composite: 35
AAMC 10 PS: 12 VR: 10 BS: 12 Composite: 34
AAMC 11 PS: 12 VR: 9 BS: 11 Composite: 32
Kaplan Average: 32.7 AAMC Average: 33.4

5) Undergraduate Major
Chemistry-Biology

6) Tips?

I'll quote Bauman1535 and say 'DON'T GET DISCOURAGED!' I was late to registering for the MCAT, and by the time I tried to find a seat for the January exam, there wasn't a single spot left in the ENTIRE STATE OF CALIFORNIA. Or any of the neighboring states. I really really felt that I needed to take it in January, what with the convenient time off work for Christmas, I wasn't going to have a better opportunity for studying. I also wanted to leave the option of retaking it later this year open. So what did I do? I flew to Hawaii for the exam. Hah! I know you think that sounds like a vacation, but it wasn't exactly. I got there a week early to get used to the time zone, and then had a routine leading up to test day. Tried to get up at about the same time I would need to for exam day, ate a quick breakfast, took my AAMC FL at my exam time, took all my breaks. I usually skipped the writing section during my practice. After the FL, I had lunch, reviewed some bio content, and reviewed the previous day's FL. I didn't even go outdoors till the day before the exam when I stopped by my testing center to make sure I knew where I was going. To be honest, I felt horrible after the exam. I thought that PS section really kicked my butt. I was particularly upset because I ran out of time on my last passage (which I haven't in any of my practice FLs since the Kaplan ones), and had to guess (and not even educated, just straight out clicked on a letter) on at least 4 of my problems. FOUR, on something I thought was my best section. I took my 10 minute break outside, tried to calm myself, and cruised through the rest of the exam without letting the PS bother me too much. After the exam, I allowed myself about an hour of feeling mopey, then I hit the beach with my friend and went trolling for shrimp shacks. Oh yeah, we went to the pro-bowl the next day :). It really helps to have something to look forward to immediately after your exam.

Quick note on Kaplan: the best thing about the Kaplan courses are the resources they give you, so make sure you use them. I didn't get to use everything, like their questions banks or topical tests, but I took all their quizzes, all the subject tests in physics and gen chem, and about half their Kaplan FLs and most of the AAMC FLs. I also made sure I read their explanations for EVERYTHING. That's probably where Kaplan excels, their explanations. Kaplan does a good job of explaining why an answer was tempting but is wrong, as opposed to just saying it's wrong because another answer is right (like in BR or AAMC). As for the actual classes and content review, I think it's a real hit or miss depending on your instructor. It's not going to be the same as learning from your professor in college who is teaching his favorite subject. The instructors have strengths and weaknesses in the MCAT topics just like any one else, and some have a better knack for teaching than others. I think for some of the classes, my time would have been better spent studying on my own instead.

First, I'm just very thankful that I can finally post in this thread and put this ordeal--and there is no question that this has been an ordeal--behind me. Also, I've reordered the questions to put what I feel are two of the most important near the top. This is long, so there's a tl;dr at the bottom to skip to.

Individual and composite scores
14PS 12VR 15BS Composite: 41R

Length of study
7 months total. Things did not go as linearly as some of the study plans listed here just because, well, I'm a nontrad and life happens. Started in late May 2011 continued through late July. Had to pause since I moved across the country, started new job, etc. Started back up in September, and ramped up until January, when I was spending at least 8 hours a day studying.

Study method
First and foremost, I am neither a freshly-hatched 12-year old genius who fit in 30 min of studying between games of WoW or Angry Birds for 4 days, took one practice test then sat for the real thing... Nor am I some uber-premed with clenched buttcheeks of anality who did every problem and practice test in GS, TPR, TBR, EK, Kaplan (twice damnit!). I'm as normal and sane as anyone who would post on a forum dedicated to med school/ residency/ fellowship admissions and career development, err...

Because I stacked most pre-reqs in my early undergrad years, I'm 6 to 7 years removed from G-chem and O-chem, and 4 years from Physics. Which means I essentially had to reteach myself those 3 subjects, along with non-molecular/cell Biology. Since I had to re-learn it, I needed to go slowly, and not be overwhelmed by the material, so ExamKrackers was perfect for phase 1.

Phase 1
Step 1: Read EK chapter slowly, but not too throughly.
Step 2: Reread chapter, very thoroughly, writing a Cliffs Notes version as I went along.
Step 3: Do the in-lecture questions. Grade. Then do the 30 min exam, and grade. For every question I ever did, I always put a question mark by the ones I wasn't sure about, so I knew what to review in addition to the ones I got wrong.

This phase was fit it in to my life as I went. Some days I was able to commit 4 hours, some 6 (weekends), some none. I had a rough goal of 6 chapters a week, but this was just a guideline. This phase slightly overlapped with Phase 2, which was...

In-class TPR. So, yes, I took a class. I was fortunate to have the full cost of the course sponsored, otherwise there'd be absolutely no way I could (or would) throw down 2K for it. If you can't afford the class (or get it paid for), it's ok, but find some way to get your hands on an unmarked TPR Hyperlearning science notebook. By the time I'd started the class, I'd already forgotten much of the material I'd memorized from the beginning of Phase 1. So was Phase 1 a waste of time? Absolutely not. Phase 1 gave me a foundation, so that during Phase 2, I was reviewing, not relearning, the material.

At the beginning of Phase 2 (October), I was both wrapping up the last chapters of EK and starting the 1st of TPR. Once I finished EK, and focused exclusively on TPR, things went like this:

Phase 2
Every other day: Do 7 verbal passages in the morning in 1 hour (slowing moving the timer down to 49 minutes by the end.
Weeknights: Read material for the upcoming weekend (had to get even further ahead near the end, since my class end a week before the test), so the problems in the chapter.
Weekend: Class + more review
Everyday: Do 8 science passages in 64 minutes from TPR Hyperlearning book. This was crucial. You have to build up stamina and the ability to immediately put a tough passage behind you and move forward.

Because I was wrapping up EK, I didn't really start doing the passages in TPRH Science until late October, so I had to play catch-up. Because I hadn't started diags, I would make my own simulated MCAT (minus the writing), using TPRH Science passages for chapters that I'd studied + verbal workbook passages. This way I wasn't wasting diags that tested material I knew I hadn't reviewed, but I was still taking 3hr+ long tests and building up that stamina. This takes us to Phase 3, AKA...

Suck-uary. This was when the real fun started. I took my first mid-prep diag on 12/23, and did 3 each week thereafter, until the final week, when I only did 1. During this time, my weeks would go like this:

Phase 3
Every M, W, F: Full length practice, then review answers.
Every non-FL day: "Simulated MCAT," then review answers.
Every day: Review weak areas, supplement with EK 1001 for trouble spots. Reinforce brute force memorization (NMR, IR, solubility, activating/ deactivating, etc...) as needed.

I cannot over-emphasize the importance of (1) simulating test conditions, and (2) doing a needle fine post-game analysis. At the beginning, I was studying in the library at this long open table where I could spread out, then taking my tests in a cramped study carrel. At some point I switched to doing all my studying and testing in the carrel, so when I got to the test center, it was almost spacious. When reviewing, every question I marked or got wrong would get a close review, and I would find out not just the why the right answer was right, or why my answer was wrong (or if, correct, unsure) but what tricks in the question or passage would "logically" lead me away from the right answer and towards the wrong one.

I did the writing sections for the last three AAMC full lengths since I wanted to get the full experience and since TPR would grade it. Got R's on all 3. Also, remember those Cliffs Notes from Phase 1? Well, those helped me out big time in Phase 3. I basically had two spiral notebooks with the sciences explained to me in language I could understand... because I wrote it! So when I hit a rough patch I'd go back to my notebooks first, and back to the prep books only as needed.

Materials used
All TPR + EK + AAMCs. Again, get your hands on an unmarked TPRH Science Workbook if you can't enroll in a TPR class. No substitute for doing all ~285 of those passages.

Practice tests
Date Test PS VR BS Composite
12/23 AAMC3 12 11 14 37
12/26 AAMC4 13 13 15 41
12/28 AAMC5 14 12 13 39
12/30 AAMC6 12 12 13 37 (on paper)
01/02 TPR01 13 11 13 37
01/04 TPR02 12 11 13 36
01/06 AAMC7 13 11 13 37
01/09 AAMC8 14 13 15 42
01/13 TPR03 13 10 14 37
01/15 AAMC11 14 11 15 40
01/18 TPR04 14 13 15 42
01/20 TPR05 13 11 15 39
01/22 AAMC9 14 13 14 41
01/25 AAMC10 14 12 15 41
AAMC Average: 39.75 (not including paper 6)

Undergraduate major
Molecular and Cell Biology

Other tips
Do what works for YOU. SN2ed's famed method works wonders for many here. I would've crashed and burned on that after two weeks, tops. Others like BloodySurgeons or NickNaylors or Vilsnadas(sp?). But note that none of them claim that their plans/ suggestions are guarantees for success, nor is this one. Ultimately it is up to you, and not forum gospel, to make the plan the works best for your background and circumstances during your test prep. (EDIT: In hindsight, it seems like I had a clearly delineated plan. The fact is I didn't, but I knew what worked for me and what didn't, and I adjusted as I went. For instance, doing 14 full-lengths in basically 33 days was not planned, nor would I advise it, but it was what needed to be done given decisions that I made during the prep.)

The work you put in matters far more than the company used. As a lurker, I'd see tons of threads with some variation of "Would reading EK Bio, then Kaplan Chemistry, followed by GS passages, and TPR CBTs work best, or would..." It's irrelevant. There are general themes that hold true: EK sacrifices depth for speed, Kaplan has tons of practice material, TPR workbooks are solid, but no one combination is going to give you an advantage that putting in the work will. If I had to recommend something to cover all bases on the cheap (i.e, without a class), I'd probably go for the full TBR set (including CBTs) + all AAMCs + unmarked TPRH Science workbook + EK101 verbal.

Something that I haven't stated explicitly, but was up there in my study plan: whenever I practiced, I practiced in less time (or with more passages) than I'd be given on the real thing. This paid dividends on test day, as I didn't feel that rushed during the sciences. For the verbal, I was extremely rushed and felt utterly crushed by it; I couldn't imagine how much worse I'd have been if I hadn't been pacing myself at 7 mins/ passage during the practices.

Which brings me to my next point. Do not trust your post-test emotions. Trust your training. This has been written a thousand times, but you will feel, at the very best, unsure of your performance, and at worst, like you didn't even study for the thing. I felt coming out that I'd earned a 7 verbal, and was THISCLOSE to signing up for a retake. But my score ended up being slightly above my AAMC average, the same as the average of my last 4 AAMCs, and the exact breakdown of my final full-length, so for me the practice test ended up being very predictive.

Finally, there is no substitute for setting your goal, and slowly grinding towards it. Know everything. Really. Everything. In September 2011, I wrote a 9-month individualized development plan for this whole pre-app process. I set a ridiculous, unreacheable, why-not-shoot-for-the-moon, MCAT goal: 38. Realistically, I thought could hit 36, just maybe. I put in the work, in a way that worked for me, and well, things worked out. My motto for this process has been "If you ain't cryin', you ain't tryin'." And it was dead true.

Well, I think I've said much more than my piece here, so good luck to the first-timers, the retakers, the re-retakers, and anyone else going through this gauntlet.

TL;DR
Set goal.
Make study plan that works for you, not someone else
Distinction between test prep materials is not crucial.
Do close post-game analysis, even on questions you got correct but were unsure of.
Simulate test environment, and practice with less time.
AAMC average is predictive within +/- 2 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
WorksInProgress,

Congra :thumbup::thumbup:

Your determination, focus and detail execution of the plan is inspirational.

Well said. Well said. From a non-traditional member.

"Do not trust your post-test emotions. Trust your training"

Appreciate your thoughtful post. Hope that give some folks happened to receive not acceptable scores a guide to move forward to eventually stand on the successful journey they deserved. Many of them work so hard. A lot of emotions there.

Thank you!:luck:

Last edited:
PS=11 VR=11 WS=P BS=12 Composite=34P

Read BIO, listened to Audio Osmosis, didn't read for orgo (chem major), but did practice problems.
Read Physics, did most of the practice problems.
Read all the Gen Chem chapters, didn't do practice problems (chem major).
Took AAMC Practice Exams.
For verbal, finished EK 101 passages and did some of TPR Hyperlearning verbal workbook.

3) What materials you used for each section(The Berkeley Review for everything except Bio (examcrackers). EK 101 and TPR Hyperlearning for verbal.)

AAMC 7-11

Chemistry, Molecular Biology and Biochemsitry

Use TBR, and KNOW ALL THE TOPICS. I improved my verbal from an 8 to an 11, so it's possible.

About 2 months .

Took the MCAT my sophomore summer. As a senior whose app cycle is just about over, I thought it was about time I shared.

BS = 15, PS = 14, VR = 13, 42S
(Starting score: around a 35)

For sciences: Review content in EK review books. Made small notes (like a cheatsheet) on printer paper of all the facts I felt I didn't have down pat (I like to draw things, use colored pencil, etc. so at the end I had maybe 3-5 double sided pages for each subject - bio, orgo, physics, etc.). After I finished reviewing EK, I rarely needed to go back! Rather if I needed more detail, I'd know to look online or something. Saved lots of time flipping and searching stuff I'd already read.

For verbal: developed a method that worked for me. I realize I am a careless answerer if I don't force myself to triple check my answer before moving on, so I had to work up the habit of looking back at the passage for every question (I am a fairly fast reader so that was doable).

DO A DETAILED POSTGAME of every test. Every question should be reviewed for why you got it wrong, and score yourself so you can track progress (I got X wrong because of carelessness, X wrong because of not knowing something in bio, in physics, etc.). The majority of the questions I got wrong towards the end of my studying were "careless" so I made myself read a kind of mantra of how I would approach every question (#3 is really important. Gut feeling is not enough of a reason to answer a question, even in verbal):

THE MANTRA OF THE CARELESS
"1. READ the goddamn question carefully
2. READ the goddamn answers carefully
3. find and JUSTIFY your answer to a hostile crowd (find answer directly the passage? justify with thoroughly written out math on a scrap page?)
Repeat for EVERY question. Not just the hard ones."

I swear this mantra got me 2-3 points on my MCAT (this is especially true if you're scoring well since the difference between a 12 and a 14 is only a few questions).

3) What materials you used for each section?

Classes cost too much and I knew if I was in a class, I would spend too much time reviewing what I already knew, and therefore slack on what I knew I was weak on.

All sections: EK review (the best in my opinion if you're still in school and just finished your premed reqs OR think you are strong in science) + EK 1001 (terrible in that they're nothing like MCAT questions but great for nailing those areas you are weak on - for me that was, for example, acid base chemistry, which I do very carelessly) + all the AAMC exams I could afford.

Just for PS: I used the old paper Kaplan FL*. They have terrifyingly hard PS sections that prepared me for the more math intensive PS section on the real MCAT. For those of you who wonder how the real MCAT differs from the practice: it is more math intensive in the PS section for sure. I'm so glad I did Kaplan FL two weeks before the MCAT.

*PM me if you can't find these Kaplan FL.

For most of the weeks, I did review or the 1001 questions set every weekday except friday. Did a full length every Saturday after lunch, and a thorough full day post-game Sunday.

AAMC 3-9
Kaplan FL 1-4
Examcracker 1h

Some kind of bio

If you make careless mistakes, try the mantra (above). For those doing "well" already (32+), aim to do better than a gut feeling. Demand a explanation in your mind to every question that makes it impossible it could be any other answer.

2.5 months

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Took the MCAT my sophomore summer. As a senior whose app cycle is just a about over, I thought it was about time I shared.

BS = 15, PS = 14, VR = 13, 42S
(Starting score: around a 34)

For sciences: Review content in EK review books. Made small notes (like a cheatsheet) on printer paper of all the facts I felt I didn't have down pat (I like to draw things, use colored pencil, etc. so at the end I had maybe 3-5 double sided pages for each subject - bio, orgo, physics, etc.). After I finished reviewing EK, I rarely needed to go back! Rather if I needed more detail, I'd know to look online or something. Saved lots of time flipping and searching stuff I'd already read.

For verbal: developed a method that worked for me. I realize I am a careless answerer if I don't force myself to triple check my answer before moving on, so I had to work up the habit of looking back at the passage for every question (I am a fairly fast reader so that was doable).

DO A DETAILED POSTGAME of every test. Every question should be reviewed for why you got it wrong. The majority of the questions I got wrong towards the end of my studying were "careless" so I made myself read a kind of mantra of how I would approach every question (#3 is really important. Gut feeling is not enough of a reason to answer a question, even in verbal):

THE MANTRA OF THE CARELESS
"1. READ the goddamn question carefully
2. READ the goddamn answers carefully
3. find and JUSTIFY your answer to a hostile crowd (find answer directly the passage? justify with thoroughly written out math on a scrap page?)
Repeat for EVERY question. Not just the hard ones."

I swear this mantra got me 2-3 points on my MCAT (this is especially true if you're scoring well since the difference between a 12 and a 14 is only a few questions).

Classes cost too much and I knew if I was in a class, I would spend too much time reviewing what I already knew, and therefore slack on what I knew I was weak on.

All sections: EK review (the best in my opinion if you're still in school and just finished your premed reqs OR think you are strong in science) + EK 1001 (terrible in that they're nothing like MCAT questions but great for nailing those areas you are weak on - for me that was, for example, acid base chemistry, which I do very carelessly) + all the AAMC exams I could afford.

Just for PS: I used the old paper Kaplan FL*. They have terrifyingly hard PS sections that prepared me for the more math intensive PS section on the real MCAT. For those of you who wonder how the real MCAT differs from the practice: it is more math intensive in the PS section for sure. I'm so glad I did Kaplan FL two weeks before the MCAT.

*PM me if you can't find these Kaplan FL.

For most of the weeks, I did review or the 1001 questions set every weekday except friday. Did a full length every Saturday after lunch, and a thorough full day post-game Sunday.

AAMC 3-9
Kaplan FL 1-4
Examcracker 1h

Some kind of bio

If you make careless mistakes, try the mantra (above). For those doing "well" already (32+), aim to do better than a gut feeling. Demand a explanation in your mind to every question that makes it impossible it could be any other answer.

2.5 months
THE MANTRA OF THE CARELESS 1 and 2 has my name written all over it. I must work very hard on that...Congrats on an excellent score.

Since I've gleaned so much out of SDN, I thought it's about damn time I contribute SOMETHING.

PS = 12 / V = 10 / WS = R / BS = 11; total = 33R

For all the science parts, I read all study materials initially as if I had never learned it before in my life. At each chapter of the Kaplan study materials, I would take the quizzes. 80%+ on each quiz meant that I could proceed onto the next chapter; anything lower required a re-read of the chapter and then, albeit maybe somewhat useless, a re-do of that quiz. (Useless in the sense that you may know the answer, but it helps to see what you learned again with how a solution guide might present itself). I would also keep tabs on the sections where you might see ongoing flaws; keep them on a separate piece of paper.

For verbal, it was simple: practice, practice, review, practice, practice. IMO, that's all you really can do. I didn't find EK to be that helpful for some reason; I found the passages to be too much, and the questions (and sometimes even answer choices) to be even a tad awkward. Of course, YMMV and different materials suit different people.

After each practice test I took (see details of which practice tests I used below), it seems obvious but I made sure to look at the questions I flubbed on, made note of which areas to focus on, and those would be the very first areas I focused on during review days. I also decided, for phys sci and orgo, to make cheat sheets of all the basics (e.g.: formulae, reactions).

Kaplan normal-length course for all sections. Instruction wasn't the best, but wasn't the worst either. The materials provided are what REALLY helped though (non-class material was the best by far, but there were some things we learned in class that made the class worth the cost. The wealth of online material also helps a lot.

Tried EK for verbal, did not work for me at all. But it worked for other people, so it doesn't hurt to try it out.

Also did MCAT Question a Day every day...as silly as it sounds, it really does work. It helps give a jolt to your system in the morning, and gets your mind prepared for the rest of your study day.

AAMC (all) and a few Kaplan full-lengths

The AAMCs really were the most helpful, but I think the Kaplan ones also do a good job of creating a "fear factor" that pushes you to learn more than you actually think you can possess. The higher numbered ones really do correspond more closely to the current test, but it'll never be near-exact.

My situation was kind of interesting because I had planned to take my MCAT in late May, a month after school ended. Around March was when I started to be a little more intense in studying, but only took two Kaplan FL tests. When I took an AAMC at the beginning of May, I realized I wasn't ready at all (got a 28) and had to reschedule to early August. I decided to take the month of May off because I could already sense some sort of burnout...and I started to pick up things in June, and then became really intense in July.(THIS WON'T WORK FOR EVERYONE).

By mid-July, I had taken two more Kaplan FL, and then started proceeding with AAMC tests every other day. The day that I took the test, I reviewed the questions and concepts pertaining those questions. On break days, I would polish myself up on general topics of certain subjects that I knew I was deficient in. I took 1.5 break days before the actual test.

Microbiology and Cell Science (not too helpful)

To be honest, IMO the MCAT is 70% content preparation, 10% luck, and 20% stress control before and during the test. You'll inevitably get pissed off because your weakest section is still not improving despite seemingly weeks of increased effort and drive, you'll be more pissed off that your friends are having fun over spring and summer and you're stuck at an empty library. Whenever you feel burnt out, take a break...I can't stress that enough. By break, I don't mean go out and party hard every night...but do something for yourself that's positively enriching. It's much better to take a break and feel recharged rather than stretching yourself out thin.

For during the test, don't EVER think that this test determines your life. You can have this thought before the test when you're studying, if that's what drives you, but having this thought DURING the test will almost inevitably doom you. You'll start to think about the questions that you were unsure about, even though you're on the next section, and that's not good. You might think about that passage that completely stumped you...and then that thought carries on throughout the test. That's never good. I like to carry conversations with the other test-takers (only those that are willing, of course), and talk to the test-center people as well just to de-stress and unwind. I took the breaks between sections...but I actually never used all the time on them. Two reasons I did this: I didn't want to get lethargic, and the moment I started thinking about previous sections, I proceeded to the next section to get my mind off of it.

Most importantly: take the test when you feel ready. I can't stress that enough.

a total of about 2 months I'd say. February - May preparation wasn't really that intense because my GPA was still on the line. And while I'd say I may have screwed myself over with an August test date, at least I know I don't have to take the MCAT again...because I think that redoing AMCAS app and secondaries >>>> taking the MCAT again.

When I started out this whole process, I wanted to get a 35. As I went through studying, I realized that 35 was a big reach, and that a range of 32-35 was a much more reasonable way of attacking the test. Best of luck to everyone, hope this helps!

1. 14PS/9VR/15BS = 38O

2. I'm gonna put 2 &3 together: Most of the BS and PS was review for me.
a. Bio: Basically all review for me. I just read through all the chapters and then started the 1001
i. EK 1001 Bio – the most helpful 1001 book (in my opinion), I got ~70% overall
1. Be prepared for ochem passages with huge molecules. You don't need to understand the molecule, just understand the passage,
and how the functional groups affect the molecule, and how they are affected by other factors (polarity, pH etc)
2. Know all the hormones/how they relate to ea. other.
ii. Kaplan Bio & ochem
b. Physics: Again, all review for me. Read through chapters, did the q's at end then started 1001
i. TBR Physics (awesome, I got ~13's on all the tests)
ii. EK 1001 Physics – not too useful, but I probably learnt a few things here and there
iii. EK 1001 Chemistry – took forever, but made me realize I didn't really understand cells (electrochemical, not the living)
iv. Kaplan Gen chem
c. VR: This was basically luck for me (range was from 8-12). I basically just did the passages, looked at answers and then realized
what I read wrong
i. EK 101 VR (didn't do about 2 tests), scores ranged from 7-11
ii. TBR VR (didn't do all the tests)
iii. EK VR
d. Writing: I went to the aamc site w/ the prompts, and just picked random ones to do.
i. I got lucky and one of the ones I did was on the test!
e. I studied for ~1 month, then just did practice tests/q's

3. Above.
4. Did the Kaplan and AAMC practice exams. The Kaplan VR was more difficult for me b/c I didn't have enough time to finish.
a. I got a 24 (9/8/8) on the Kaplan diagnostic w/o studying. I did not take the class (I'm not wasting $2000 on something I've learnt before), even though they were saying they were lowering the cost by $500… Business schemes
Total PS VR BS
3 34 14 10 10
4 32 12 8 12
5 37 13 12 12
6 36 14 10 12
7 36 14 10 12
8 35 14 9 12
9 35 14 9 12
10 33 12 9 12
11 32 13 9 10
Avg: 13.3/9.5/11.5 (Note that for the BS I was generally done early (~20 mins), and I just left instead of rechecking)
I found it useful to try and predict my score. I got decently good at it and toward the end. This may be helpful in voiding although I felt like voiding my score (so idk how useful this would be).

5. Biomedical Engineering

6. Start in advance. I spent 3 months (following a modified SN2ed schedule) doing the above while taking classes, and it was decently challenging. I probably did worse in my classes as a result of the time I put into studying for it. Take the tests in a simulated test environment. On test day, take aspirin(I had a headache and aspirin was v. helpful), water, energy bars & w/e else you used on the practice tests. Look at the youtube video about prometric SAFE MLO exam to get a feel for what the test center will be like. Make sure to be relaxed. I was pretty chill during the physics (perhaps a little too much), I was very confident as my practice test scores were high. After the VR, I was scared… And I guess that helped too (for the BS). Just know that with all the studying you did, you are ready to take the test. Remember to keep track of time (Especially for VR, write down when you should have each passage done). Take at least 1 CBT (#3 is free) to get a feel for the timing format etc.

7. 3 months w/ avg ~3.5 hr/day.

For guessing, use the units (makes many problems very easy), use common sense (a car won't be going at 10000 mph), use the question stem. Make sure you're answering what the question is asking (esp. for VR). Don't worry about it after you're done. Before the test started, I guessed I would get a 35O. After, I felt I would score from 33-36P.
Also read through threads if you have time, a lot of good suggestions have been posted.

I might be forward to post before actually taking the real test but it frustrates me to hear people getting high scores attribute there success to "reading a lot as a child." Ok, some innate reading skill helps but the reality is that the verbal exam is not like any casual reading scenario, it demands a specific strategy and ultimately the use of techniques and skills that are not used in an average reading context.
So this post is for those that are not innately brilliant but have the grit to put in some hard work to get that score where they want it. A disclaimer, I'm not an authority nor do I claim to be, this is merely what worked for me and it was born only out of personal experimentation but my scores so far are proving that this can work.

Before....
Kaplan Diagnostic: 28 (7 VR)
Bunch of Kaplan Tests: 28-31 Range (7-11 in VR, very scary range)

After self imposed practice schedule....
AAMC 3 : 36 (11 in VR)
AAMC 4: 38 (12 in VR)
AAMC 5: 39 (14 in VR)
AAMC 6: 40 (13 in VR)

To be honest I can't believe the scores popping up....but I figure, if I can do this than most should be able to as well. So here is how I got those VR scores.

General Philosophy: My thought is that VR success is about achieving a good test taking process. I found that trying to focus on why exactly I missed problem X was a waste of time because for the most part the final conclusion was I hadn't understood what was going on. So all of my effort went into the TECHNIQUE of passage reading and absolutely no focus on what my results were. I completed 10 full VR sections without scoring them (honestly because when I did the results were depressing). Instead of harping on missed questions I got down on myself for going over time, glazing or bogging. Think means not ends, technique not scores, positive results grow naturally from positive habits.

The Grind: I do a VR section first thing in the morning every day without fail. For this I have found Kaplan to be an excellent source of endless practice sections. For those enrolled in the Kaplan course, I used the VR workbook to practice steps one and two and then moved to the online resources to practice full sections. For those of you flying solo, remember that the real thing is 7 passages and each resource has its own flavor, my experience here is limited so I’m not going to make any suggestions. I will report how the AAMC practice tests compare to the actual exam but from what I have read AAMC is most analogous to the actual exam and if that is the case expect longer passages but less ambiguous questions.

STEP 1: Passage Mapping and Micro-Timing.
-I completely agree with Kaplan's passage mapping suggestion. Though I don't use it while answering the question it keeps me processing and integrating the passage as I go and most of all keeps me from glazing over.

-Do a section one passage at a time with a break between passages and then break each passage down further into the reading section and the the question section. Time each component of the passage separately and shoot for 6 min per passage. So for clarity:

Reading (3 min)
Pause
Questions (3 min)
Pause

6 min!?!?! But why?
Before I had been having trouble staying under 10 min per passage so I wanted to essentially beat my brain into submission. After about three full-length sections taken in this manner I was hitting those times pretty consistently (occasionally going over). The focus is figuring out how much to write, when you can cut corners on an easy(er) passage, etc. Its all about experimenting….a lot. Breaking up the sections allows you to collect yourself, establish a goal for the passage then implement it, if it feels good, keep doing it, if not try another idea.

What I found: I write short hand sentences, at least one per paragraph, and when the paragraphs are long, I write something down when my brain feels full. Like I said I rarely refer to my notes afterwards, I just use it as a tool to keep myself engaged.

STEP 2: Full Passages

-Do sections timing both the reading and questions as one piece and bump the time up to 7 min a passage. Now the routine is passage, break, passage, break, etc. Again, focus on time and understanding as much as possible. You should really have refined your passage mapping to just the perfect amount of writing. Too little and you aren’t retaining enough, too much and you go over time, experiment and find that balance.

STEP 3: The Real Deal

-The line between step two and three isn’t very clear. I found that I was hitting my times better and taking shorter breaks between passages. For a full section my routine is as follows…

1. 8 min a passage – After struggling to hit 6 min/passage this should feel pretty roomy for normal passages and a little tight on the long ones. This creates checkpoints that you should use for pacing [52 min, 44 min, 36 min, 28 min, 20 min, 12 min and 4 min.] I actually write these numbers in the top corner of my scratch paper just so I don’t need to figure it out while I’m doing the passage.

2. One deep breath between passages while looking at a distant point. The ciliary muscles are contracted while looking at objects close (such as a computer with a horrific VR section) focusing on a distant point relaxes those muscles. I have also found that the short single breath break makes the whole thing a little more emotionally palatable. It retains the feel of doing 7 separate, manageable passages rather than one big scary section. Also if a passage doesn’t go well it gives a moment of space to mentally reset your mind to dominate the next passage. Furthermore, I have found that I actually finish faster giving myself that small break. Make the breath really count, the whole process should take about 10 seconds. Don’t let yourself see the break as slacking, it is as essential as passage mapping, convince yourself of that so you can let your mind totally relax instead of maintaining the stress of feeling like you are behind.

3. The four min buffer. For those math whizzes, you have probably figured out that 8 min x 7 passages = 56 min giving a 4 min buffer at the end. I don’t use this as review time. Rather, I treat it as my breathing space for that inevitably evil passage. I think of it as paying out a little slack that I plan to get back later. Knowing that you have the breathing room subdues the panic attack when you get a little stuck on a passage and don’t hit your times. For the most part if I only get behind by a minute I have always found a passage that I can get the time back. If I am down by four min that is really bad and I know that I will probably have to sacrifice the quality of one passage to catch up. Ultimately using the buffer during practice is not desirable. Remember, the real thing is supposed to have longer passages so train accordingly.

4. Go back? The final question…do we review in attempt to make those last minute heroic changes? My personal conclusion, no. Over the last three tests I have stayed firm in resisting my desire to go back and change answers and my scores have been the best yet (I’m not saying it is the cause of my good scores but it certainly isn’t detrimental). I answer while reading the passage and stick to it, at the very worst I may bypass a question in a series and then answer it last before moving on to the next section. At the end of the day, a guess is a guess, its lousy but they happen so don’t fret over it; just focus on your passage mapping/reading technique and eventually the guesses will be minimized and your instincts will become more reliable. I’m getting 13’s and 14’s and I still feel like some of my answers are nothing better than educated guesses or gut feelings. Use your time checkpoints to keep you on track and to force a choice on those agonizingly ambiguous questions (I would say the roman numeral ones are the most exquisitely painful).

The End: That was a lot, I’m sorry if I have overstepped my bounds and for those of you who have actually read this whole thing, congrats. Feel free to use or not use any part of this towards your own success. I think that, in the end, the right way of going about taking this section is very personal and must be found through a lot of trial and error. At the very least this can act as a stepping-stone into your own ideas and experiments on what works. If anyone decides to implement any of these concepts into her own routine, please let me know in what way and if you made any progress utilizing it. Again, I don’t think you need to be a genius that has been reading the Encyclopedia since birth to get good scores. Rather it’s the tenacity and intensity with which you practice that will determine your success. How bad do you want it? All the best!
Matt

thanks

Come on, where are all the March 2012 test takers? I know you're out there!

So excited I can post here! I though about retaking it for maybe 2 minutes, but after looking at how balanced it is, there is absolutely no way I am.

33Q (11/11/11)

I used NickNaylor's syllabus, but modified it a lot (only used EK, focused more on certain areas where I was weak, adjusted it for my time period)

Writing: Absolutely nothing
Verbal: Nothing really. I did maybe 3 sets of EK 1001 passages over my study period and looked over the EK verbal passage reading strategies-- I found using the question stems to figure out the main idea particularly helpful. Verbal sections have always been my strength for some reason, so I knew I didn't have to study much for it.
BS: Used EK and EK 1001 books. Would read a chapter and do corresponding questions, then do the 30 min exam. The next day, I would review and then do about 30-40 EK 1001 questions. To be honest I didn't really focus on biology or organic because I was mainly worried about the PS section and I think my school's biology program has prepared me very well in terms of this test with types of classes we can take.
PS: Used EK and EK 1001 books. Would read a chapter and do corresponding questions, then do the 30 min exam. The next day, I would review and then do about 30-40 EK 1001 questions. Also tried to find a lot of practice passages since I knew this would be my weakest section (especially the physics- I took a calc based physics class that was easy, but didn't force me to learn anything).

I ended up finishing all the material in Feb and my PS wasn't where I wanted it, so I focused and reviewed Gen Chem and Physics for the remaining time up until the test.

I also never really took a FL practice... I just took sections because I really needed to focus on PS and then would go back and do the BS and sometimes Verbal. My first diagnostic I ended up getting a 5 on PS, so I am incredibly pleased with my 11. Although I think this is not a good strategy at all... I ended up burning out in the BS section during the real test because I was so exhausted- I suspect my BS score would have been higher if I had taken some FL tests

Only EK and EK 1001. 3 AAMC tests.

Biology with a Biochemistry Minor

Take AAMC FLs. They are really the most accurate.

Also, know what section you will need to really work on and focus on that... I got bogged down in the first part of my studying and overwhelmed with the amount of material. I only studied topics I felt comfortable with and I think that somewhat hurt me in the long run- I should have reviewed topics I was uncertain with first.

Don't be afraid to push your test back if you don't feel ready. Seriously. I was originally scheduled for Jan and didn't get through the physics, so I moved to March. Only take the test if you feel ready... and trust yourself... I think it's normal to feel a little uneasy and uncertain, but as long as you've made it through the material and are doing relatively well, just take it. I almost pushed my test back again because I got a couple of 8s on PS and BS sections the week when I had to decide for real if I was pushing back or not. I think it's normal to have a somewhat bad "dress rehearsal" before the real test.

Don't study the week leading up to the test. I only reviewed a couple of topics lightly and did maybe 10 EK 1001 problems per day. Nothing after Wednesday of that week (my test was on Saturday). In fact, I suggest you have some fun. I went out to bars that week (obviously not Friday) with my friends and I think that helped relax me and take my mind off things.

from September until March. I had a crazy fall semester and had originally registered for the Jan 28 test, but I am VERY happy I pushed it back. I studied for about 2-3 hours per day (most days), but there were definitely weeks when I didn't have time to study at all. I am also on the triathlon team at my school so I struggled with studying on a lot of weekends. During spring break I studied PS only for about 7 hours per day.

Thought I'd add in my experience here, though it's from last fall not this spring.

1.) 12 PS, 12 BS, 14 VR (38Q)

2.) I used SN2ed's 4 month study plan, but compressed in down into 10 weeks. I knew that I'd rather put in more hours each day than stretch it out longer. The only practice I did for the writing sections was doing the timed essays during my AAMC full lengths. SN2ed's method of rotating through all the subjects every few days really helped keep my interest and helped me see some of the parallels between the sciences come test day.

3.) I used the BR books almost exclusively. The EK Bio was a little light for me, especially on some of the more complex systems. The EK 1001 books were nice, but I didn't find myself using that many of the problems with the exception of the EK 101 VR. That book kicked ass and the passages/questions were very similar to the real deal. Same sometimes brutal passages with weird questions.

4.) I took AAMC 3, 9, 10, 11 tests. Got in the low to mid 30s on the practice exams but the real deal felt easier.

5.) Micro/molecular biology with a bunch of public health classes.

6.) The MCAT tests logic and reasoning far over scientific knowledge. The science is really basic but there will be passages that there is no way you could have known the material. The test wants to see how well you can synthesize multiple types of scientific knowledge with basic commonsense. There are some random factoids but those can be prepared for with thoroughly reviewing the basics. It really helps to continuously be doing sample passages and find your weaknesses. I spent the last 2 weeks grilling myself on those weaknesses and learning the strategy of actually taking the MCAT. For the verbal section, assume you're in front of a panel that will grill you on all your answers. Really find justification for all of your answers from the text and be willing to stand by them. The answer is there, even if it's in the tone of the text. Lastly, relax, take deep breaths, read over the questions thoroughly. Getting yourself grounded in the few days before the exam is almost as important as the studying. I stopped studying a few days before, went rock climbing, saw some live music, had dinner with friends, etc. It helps to take some of the stress off your mind and let you perform at your max on the test day.

7.) July - mid Sept (sat for the exam on 9/10). I studied 8-10 hours a day except 3 12-hr shifts I worked a week. I made sure to take the evenings off like a normal human and keep the spouse from thinking I was dead. At work I brought my books, but couldn't really study in between running calls (too much crazy...)

All in all, it's the easiest and shortest test we're all (hopefully) going to take in our careers. I enjoyed the test by the end and had respect for it. It was the best written exam I've taken and the questions I got wrong were due to a lack of knowledge not poor or tricky wording. Good luck and have fun showing what you've learned.

1) Your individual scores and composite score: 33Q Retake of a 28O in 2010.
PS=11, VR=11, BS=11, WS=Q

BS/PSSupplemented TBR with EK content books and NOVA Physics book. EK 1001 as well, but I don't think it helped very much.
VR: TPRH (2006 version) and EK 101.

I did an extended version of the SN2ed 3 month program (112 days) while working 40 hours per week and taking 9 credits.

TBR, EK, TPRH, Wikipremed, mcat-review.

AAMC3-11 including a paper copy of AAMC 6.
AAMC 3: 33
AAMC 4: 34
AAMC 5: 31
AAMC 6: 34
AAMC 7: 35
AAMC 8: 35
AAMC 9: 34
AAMC 10: 35
AAMC 11: 34

BA in Biology from a respectable pre-med program. Ended up with a horrible GPA and had to retake some classes at a CC to get my GPA up to even have a chance at getting in. The CC retakes really helped in MCAT prep as well.

Really learn the concepts in your pre-reqs. Don't just memorize stuff to get As on the tests. Everything you learn can help you on the MCAT even if it is a topic that isn't on the AAMC outline. Also stay confident and keep at it. Most of us encounter weak areas throughout MCAT prep and it can be very discouraging. You never know what is going to pop up on your real MCAT, so you absolutely have to have a good understanding of every topic possible.

112 days. I made good use of my winter vacation and spring break.

Last edited:

2009: PS=11 VR=11 WS=N BS=12 Composite=34N ... (expired at many schools, I'm not crazy enough to retake this score otherwise!)
2012: PS=12 VR=12 WS=Q BS=11 Composite=35Q

2009: Cram-read all the Kaplan books over 2 weeks, took AAMC 3 day before test

2012: Read subject books slowly over the summer and fall of 2011, and listened to Audio Osmosis in the car on the way to work. For January and March, took one practice test each weekend. (Took February off to take GMAT.) In March, I also recopied EVERYTHING on Kaplan quicksheets, which was ~60 pages of handwritten notes. I made sure to review every question on the AAMC tests, not just the ones I missed.

2009: Kaplan subject books
2012: Examkrackers subject books, Audio Osmosis, Kaplan QuickSheets

2009: AAMC 3
2012: AAMC 4-11

AAMC 3: 39

AAMC 4: 32
AAMC 5: 34
AAMC 7: 34
AAMC 8: 31...copied the Kaplan quicksheets between test 8 and 9
AAMC 9: 35
AAMC 10: 33...took after spending 5 hours reviewing old tests
AAMC 11: 35
AAAMC Avg: 33.3

Biomedical Engineering, graduated a few years ago.

Read scholarly articles, and DO PRACTICE PROBLEMS. It's important to review every practice problem, regardless of whether or not you got it right.

2009: 10 days, around 20 hours total
2012: 2 months, around 60 hours total (excluding reading over 2011)

) Your individual scores and composite score
PS=11 VR=10 WS=Q BS=11 Composite=32Q

PS: I spent the most time on this section
EK - love it. Most useful for later studying and to brush up on content.
EK Audio Osmosis (save it for the public commute...only useful as a refresher)
EK 1001 (did all questions for Physics & Chem, a must for someone like me)
Kaplan PS is good for building stamina

VR: EK, Kaplan, EK 101 Passages
I used a combination of EK & Kaplan mapping trick (ever so slightly). I started studying for verbal 1/3 way through my studying. I absolutely love the EK methods, although even with the tips in mind I couldn't really keep my score in a consistent range. I scored anywhere from 6-11 on my practice exams. My verbal is not a great score, but the methods that I used were

1) Read for the main idea. I had to keep reminding myself to ask if an answer was consistent with the main idea.
2) Don't spend time on tough answers.
3) Don't go back to passage unless you know where to look (because it eats up a lot of time).
4) Keep a visual map of the basic main ideas for each paragraph so that you know where to look in case you need to look for the answer.
5) Practice with as many verbal as you can because it helps you identify several tricks.

WS:

Spent the least time on this section, but probably more than anyone else ever did. It will be gone in 2013 so who really cares anyway right? First time I took AAMC's FL 3, I barely had 3 sentences down when the clock ran out (I guess I'm a slow writer). That was when I realized that I needed to develop a mindset for writing a decent essay within 30 minutes. I took the WS for every AAMC FL that I took. I used the same format for each section, answering the questions in the exact order (no particular intro or conclusion). Eventually, the writing experience became pleasurable so that when I took it during the real exam, along with some nice writing prompts, it kind of energized me for the BS section.

BS:
EK Bio - a must-have. It sums up the basic concepts very nicely
Khan academy & online animations (helpful for grasping the mundane facts that we need to know)
EK 101 - did a quiz for each section.
EK 1001 Organic was kind of a joke (too easy) like most on SDN say.

4) What practice tests did you use?

All AAMC's practice FLs - highest score that I got was 28 and there was an upward trend in my scores since I was taking the practice test during content review. Some old Kaplan practice FLs (including the dreaded 10 &11 where I scored 26-28, which interestingly was still higher than my AAMC average)

Psychology & Biology with a Neuroscience minor

A. THERE IS HOPE IF YOU PUT IN THE HARD WORK.

I am a nontraditional working full-time as a lab manager in a medical research lab and a mother of a 4 year old girl. I took premed classes for fun in college (with no clear intentions of becoming a doctor) and was 4+ years removed from Chemistry & Physics. Less years removed for Biology but in general, I had to reteach myself a lot of the material while working my 40+hrs/week job and managing dinner/chores/bedtime for my family.

The MCAT consumed my life, to put it gently. Initially, I was going on 4 hours of sleep per day (no thanks to my daughter) and dropped all exercise. I burned out midway and pushed my test date a few months back (basically applying for the next cycle). Then I started in 4 months later (due to life's circumstances) and found that I had forgotten all of the stuff I learned.

Fortunately, I found a motivated study buddy to share my misery with. We spent weekends studying 15-20 hours per week. If you don't have a study buddy, find outside help, SOMEWHERE, especially when you are not taking an prep courses like I did. My buddy was extremely good with PS & BS while I was better in VR so we helped each other address our weaknesses. It's also good to talk about a concept with each other until you can recite it like the back of your hand.

Once every saturday I took a practice FL. Throughout the studying I had never felt so demoralized. I never scored beyond a 28 in my practice exams even though I was studying 20-30 hours per week in addition to work and maternal duties. I was literally PRAYING for a miracle to happen come test day. The actual test SHATTERED whatever little confidence that I had in myself. During the practice exams I would have that good feeling that I did well only to find a dismal score.

During the test day, I could've sworn I blanked out a couple of times with the realization that I was taking the real MCAT. The 4/5 PS section was a total killer for all of us who took it that day. There were probably 2 really difficult passages that I felt like I had guessed on all questions. (Maybe I did, maybe I didn't. It was all a blurry nightmare). Then VR came and it was much longer than the practice exams. I usually finished with 5 minutes to spare in practice exams where I get to double check some answers. On the real VR, I had some really interesting passages but didn't feel like I was as focused as I shouldve been. I barely had the chance to doublecheck my answers, although in retrospect, it may have been a good thing (since I had the tendency of changing from the correct answer). When BS section came, I was surprised by the amount of OChem and the difficulty of the questions. I made educated guesses on most OChem. Bio wasn't too bad, but I didn't feel like I performed that well because I only had 5 minutes left to check marked questions although I usually have 10-15 mins for practice exams. Most people come out of the test feeling crappy, but I had never been so terrified of a performance in my life. I thought I could've scored anywhere from 24(scary)-29(hopefully) so I was super enthused about my actual score.

B. IF I HAD TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN,
I would have taken all of the EK practice quizzes. I wouldn't use Audio Osmosis for content review (which was a good content refresher for my 1.5 hr one-way daily commute, however). I would have spent more time analyzing why I got certain questions wrong for practice verbal exams and FLs. I should have done only 1-2 FLs before I finished content review, but I didn't, which probably explains my low average. I would have fit in more practice tests as humanely possible.

1 year combined
First 5 months of studying, I was a total nerve wreck. There were a lot of personal life activities going on and I was at my lowest point (no money, failing relationship, living in a slum, uncertain future.) I finally got my life back together (moved out, said no to all requests, partner found a job) and studied again in Nov-March (~5 months), I could only get 2 weeks off from work to commit 40+ hours to MCAT. Although MCAT was always on my mind, I was scared that my other full time commitments would prevent me from scoring well. Thankfully it didn't, so I'm happy that my score has reflected how hard I've worked for the past 5 months.
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR]

I'm so happy I can post here. This has been one crazy, long ride and I'm glad I can say Adios MCAT! :D The test that I took 4/5/2012 had a seemingly difficult PS section, which I thought I had bombed and a seemingly easy BS section, which I thought I had aced. However, my scores show the opposite (ish). I came crawling out of the test center crying about my PS score and how bad it would be... Yet, it ended up being my best score. So, first thing's first: Don't void your exam based on how you feel about a section after the exam. There are other real reasons to, but your gut feeling can often be wrong.

4/5/2012 MCAT
Mid 30s (will edit after application cycle)

These were the study materials that I had:
All of TBR
All of TPRH
Kaplan
EK101 Verbal
EK 1001 for Gen Chem, Physics and O-Chem (I didn't even touch the O-Chem book)

I managed to round up these resources for under $700. Basically, I knew what my weaknesses were going into studying for the MCAT: Gen Chem and Verbal. Also, I didn't want to really "learn" anything again because I had thought that my undergraduate courses had prepared me for most of the science in the MCAT, so I decided to follow what every SDNer had said and do a crudload of practice problems and passages. Which I did. Except, I didn't do them in order. I looked at the sections that I knew I struggled in and needed to work on (i.e. electrochemistry) and did a bunch of practice problems on that topic using all of the resources I had to make sure I knew and understood the concepts.

Verbal Reasoning
TBR: to practice my timing. There are some passages in TBR that are great and others that are outright horrendous (they're either too easy or too short). So I basically used it to practice my timing.
TPRH: Great resource. The passages were great and the questions were the best in terms of how closely it related to the actual MCAT
EK 101: Awesome. I used this guy first and alternated with my TPRH workbook.

Physical Sciences
TBR: Best thing ever. I read the physics chapters that I needed to solidify, but did all of the practice passages. The Gen Chem passages were great too. They not only ensured that you knew your stuff, but also made you think critically to figure out the answer.
TPRH Science WB: Passages were easier than TBR but still pretty good if you want to hammer down the details of the material. Not as intense as TBR, but still good.
EK1001 Series: Helped a lot with optics for me. I would recommend doing a lot problems from here on subjects that you are shaky on. I would disregard the sections that you know, full well, that you will be fine on.

Biological Sciences
TBR: Just did a bunch of random passages from every section for biology because I was sure I knew my stuff. O-Chem was great except for the last couple of chapters on carbohydrates and amines. I thought TBR went way too in-depth with them. If you want to do those chapters, I would recommend skimming the chapters and just focus on the practice passages.
TPRH Science WB: I preferred the TBR passages because they focused more on critical thinking as opposed to sheer memorization of super specific information.

AAMC 3-10 and part of 11
Actual: 30+ (will edit after application cycle)

Biology with a Chemistry minor
I also tutor intro level biology which significantly helped me for the bio section. I didn't really have to study for that section as much as I did for PS or VR.

When you are taking your undergraduate courses that prepare you for the MCAT, make sure you really understand the material. It will be your best bet for scoring well in the BS and PS sections for the MCAT. As for VR, obviously I didn't do all that great, but if I were to do it again, I would have started doing 1-2 passages everyday 4-5 months before the test.

Also, I burnt out towards the end of my MCATing. I was too tired to do passages and had no motivation to do so. This happened the week before my MCAT. To compensate for this, I did NO MCAT studying for that ENTIRE week. Granted, I had a biochem exam and a research presentation to worry about that week as well, but I worked zero passages that week and look at no equations. By the end of the 3rd day of not MCATing, I desperately wanted to work out a practice test again, but I forced myself not to, so that I could save that motivation for the actual exam. I think that is how I was able to do better on my actual MCAT than my average score. I really really really wanted to take the test.

January - April (which included all of spring break)
Spring break definitely was what helped me the most in studying for the MCAT. I had jam packed my schedule with research conferences, presentations, and work as a tutor so when I just had time to dedicate to studying for the MCAT, I capitalized on it. This is when I took AAMCs 8 and 9

I would definitely recommend studying for the MCAT on a lazy semester or during the summer. I hardly had a life and it was definitely a brutal process. Moreover, I burnt out by AAMC #10 and didn't even want to do AAMC #11 just because I had so much to do the weeks preceding my MCAT.

Anyways, that is my story. I hope this helps! Good luck to the rest of you all!

Last edited:
PS - 10, VR - 12, BS - 12
Composite - 34O

PS: For physics, I started out doing careful, methodical content review with lots of notetaking but it got to be overwhelming so I switched to just making flashcards for important concepts and equations as I went along. Then I studied the flashcards until I knew them cold. I also did a good deal of practice problems and passages, though probably not as many as I should have.

For general chemistry, I skimmed through the content, made flashcards for the equations, and then did a lot of practice problems. I tried to focus on "high-yield" topics (electrochemistry, pH, periodic trends, etc) and areas where I knew I was weak.

BS: Biology was the subject I focused most on because I was totally unfamiliar with about a third of the topics on the content outline (I had never covered ANY of the physiology stuff). My studying method was mainly a mixture of flashcards and notetaking. I found that fill-in-the-blank type flashcards were a lot more helpful than ones with a term on one side and then a lengthy definition on the other, because (A) they were much easier to review, and (B) they forced me to write out the information twice. For example:
Aldosterone is a ______ hormone released by the ______ . It stimulates the ______ to ______. This causes blood volume to ______ , which ______s blood pressure.
I also made an illustrated, in-depth outline in Word for the topics that were really detailed or memorization-intensive, ensuring that I covered that material from at least two different angles. I did not spend much time on organic chemistry because I had just taken it and felt pretty confident, though I did make sure to brush up on the basic reactions and trends.

VR: I did several EK 101 tests but they were really just a way to procrastinate and make me feel better when the rest of my studying was going poorly. My practice scores were always bouncing around in the 11-13 range and I found many of the questions to be unnecessarily confusing and poorly-worded, so I don't know that they were very helpful at all.

Physics: TBR initially, then NOVA
General Chemistry: TBR
Biology: Mostly Examkrackers + some TBR
Organic Chemistry: TBR
Verbal reasoning: Examkrackers 101

I also used the internet pretty extensively when it came to making flashcards and brushing up on specific topics (in particular http://mcat-review.org and http://www.wikipremed.com)

PS/VR/BS
AAMC 3: 8/12/10 - 30 (before I started studying)
AAMC 11: 9/13/12 - 34
AAMC 10: 9/13/10 - 32
AAMC 9: 12/11/10 - 33
AAMC 8: 12/12/10 - 34

Psychology

Don't be afraid to reconfigure your study schedule and/or get different study materials. I started out thinking I would follow the SN2Ed plan but I kept falling behind, and I wasted a lot of time feeling horrible and beating myself up about it. It wasn't until I finally decided to let myself go at my own pace and experiment a bit with different study techniques that I really made any progress. So if you're feeling burned out, give yourself permission to take a break and step away from the material for a bit, then come back to it when you're feeling fresh and have some new perspective.

Also, I know this goes against a lot of advice you see on here, but if you're hitting a wall on content review and that test date is looming closer then go ahead and do an AAMC practice test. I found taking and reviewing the "real" practice tests to be SO MUCH more helpful than anything else in terms of guiding my studying because I finally got to see how the actual MCAT test writers approached the material and the depth at which I really needed to be covering it, not to mention that the practice tests highlight your weaknesses much more quickly than any review book could. Furthermore, you may find once you take a test that you're not doing nearly as badly as you think you are. I went into AAMC 11 feeling completely depressed and didn't expect to even get a 30, so when I got a 34 that was a huge confidence booster and gave me the motivation to keep going.

3 months (January-March). I was sick for a large part of that time and only averaged around 1-2 hours of real studying a day, though that increased toward the end.

PS: 10 VR: 13 BS: 11
Composite 34O

PS and BS: Took practice tests and spent lots of time going over what I got wrong. Then I used some Princeton Review books I borrowed from a friend to fill in the gaps I found in my knowledge.

VR: Just did the VR sections in the practice tests I took and reviewed what I got wrong. I'm also an avid reader (and a liberal arts major), which I think helped a bit.

I did not prep whatsoever for the writing section, and I guess it shows. It's been a long time since I've had to write an essay in English, haha.

Princeton Review books and AAMC practice tests.

AAMC 3, 7, 8, 9, and 10.

French :rolleyes: But I had already taken most of the med school pre-reqs by the time I took the MCAT (except orgo lab and physics 2).

Getting used to the test's format will help a LOT. Take lots of practice tests and space them out well!

About 6 weeks, not every day and not for huge chunks at a time (no more than 3 hr blocks).

Good luck!

hey yall i will begin studying for the mcat in a week or so and need to get books, as im reading through this thread, it seems like a common denominator for studying is using the EK 1001 series and TPR and/or Kaplan, and practice tests via AAMC

I already have the Barron's MCAT book

all of these different methods and books are so overwhelming and I came on here to see if this would be fine:

buying this EK package:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Stud...=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337023869&sr=1-8

along with,

TPR Verbal/Writing Review

http://www.amazon.com/Verbal-Reason...=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337024225&sr=1-3

and TPR Organic Chem Review

http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemi...=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337024246&sr=1-6

and I guess for practice exams ill have to buy the AAMC ones that almost everyone is saying theyve used for practice exams

so are these books sufficient enough for me to study all through summer with?

also creating a schedule is gonna be a bitch

Yay! I can finally post in this thread now that I have my 30+ score! :) This is a bittersweet moment for me. Seeing my score was a bit anticlimatic, because it wasn't necessarily as high as I would have liked, but I also had a huge sense of relief because it's a perfectly respectable score.

PS: 10, VR: 11, BS: 10 Writing: S
My AAMC average was around 33.

PS: Berkeley Review! The content is extremely thorough (though a bit too detailed at times), and the practice passages are great. I didn't use the SN2ED schedule because I'm a bit too disorganized. For content review, I read through a chapter at a time while highlighting and writing notes in the margins of the books. Then I did 1/3 of the passages in the back. It took me a while, so when I finished, I had to go through the chapters again and write flashcards. I found the flashcards extremely useful because they helped me review all the concepts in a short amount of time.

VR: I've always been good at reading (scored 800 on CR on SAT) so this section was not a huge concern of mine. Did practice tests from EK verbal and whatever was on the AAMC practice tests.

BS: Reviewed using Princeton Review Hyperlearning and made flashcards. Did passages out of BR (only the physiology book). Didn't even touch the molecular biology book.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)?

See above

All the available AAMC practice tests on e-mcat.org except numbers 7 and 8. Didn't have time for them unfortunately.

Biology (evolution and ecology track).

Just practice and know that your hard work will pay off. When you finish the test, you will feel like you did horribly, but trust that your hard work will pay off.

Half a year, averaging about 4 hours a day. Should have score higher based on how much time I had, but I think I was a bit too relaxed and complacent in my studying.

Last edited:
PS: 14
BS: 10
VR: 11
35R

AAMC practice tests: I took these every other day 2 weeks before the actual mcat
AAMC 3 PS: 10 VR: 8 BS: 11 Composite: 29
AAMC 4 PS: 10 VR: 9 BS: 13 Composite: 32
AAMC 5 PS: 11 VR: 8 BS: 14 Composite: 33
AAMC 7 PS: 12 VR: 10 BS: 14 Composite: 36
AAMC 8 PS: 13 VR: 9 BS: 14 Composite: 36
AAMC 9 PS: 12 VR: 9 BS: 13 Composite: 34
AAMC 10 PS: 13 VR: 10 BS: 12 Composite: 35

AAMC avg: 33.5

Kaplan, Examkrackers, Chad's videos

I was REALLY weak in the physical sciences + verbal reasoning and strong in the biological sciences when I started studying for the MCAT. I initially took the Kaplan class and ended up not going to the classes because I felt like they were a waste of time. I went through all of Kaplan's books, but felt like they were not sufficient and bought EK 101 for biology and used that for the passage-based problems.

For PS, I started out with a 6 on my diagnostic and ended up getting a 14. I felt like I knew every question in the passage on the real MCAT! I used Chad's videos for physics and general chemistry to really nail down the concepts after using Kaplan's books. I felt like his general chemistry videos were really strong, but his physics was okay. For physics, I relied on Kaplan's online practice tests and did several of those before taking practice tests.

For BS, I started out with a 10 on my diagnostic and was averaging 13-14 on the AAMC practice test and was pretty shocked when I took the real MCAT because it was nothing I have seen before on the practice tests. For future test takers, I would spend less time memorizing facts and focus on passage problems for biology. I heard BR is really good for that.

For VR, English is not my native language and I had trouble in the beginning. I scored a 510 on the SAT verbal but got an 11 on the real thing. For those of you struggling with verbal, use the EK 101 and also try to go through all of Kaplan's online verbal practice tests. I felt like doing those every other day helped improve my score a lot.

EK 101 Verbal, all the AAMC except 11, I would not recommend kaplan full lengths (I did one and it sucked)

Biology

I felt terrible after taking the test. I thought I was going to get under a 30 so for those of you who felt like you bombed the test, chances are you probably didn't! So don't worry too much after the test and just chilll~

I think PS is also the easiest to improve, make sure you know the concepts instead of just solving problems. Chad's videos!

~2 months

Last edited:
Yay! I can finally post in this thread now that I have my 30+ score! :) This is a bittersweet moment for me. Seeing my score was a bit anticlimatic, because it wasn't necessarily as high as I would have liked, but I also had a huge sense of relief because it's a perfectly respectable score.

PS: 10, VR: 11, BS: 10 Writing: S
My AAMC average was around 33.

PS: Berkeley Review! The content is extremely thorough (though a bit too detailed at times), and the practice passages are great. I didn't use the SN2ED schedule because I'm a bit too disorganized. For content review, I read through a chapter at a time while highlighting and writing notes in the margins of the books. Then I did 1/3 of the passages in the back. It took me a while, so when I finished, I had to go through the chapters again and write flashcards. I found the flashcards extremely useful because they helped me review all the concepts in a short amount of time.

VR: I've always been good at reading (scored 800 on CR on SAT) so this section was a huge concern of mine. Did a lot of practice exams from EK.

BS: Reviewed using Princeton Review Hyperlearning and made flashcards. Did passages out of BR (only the physiology book). Didn't even touch the molecular biology book.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)?

See above

All the available AAMC practice tests on e-mcat.org except numbers 7 and 8. Didn't have time for them unfortunately.

Biology (evolution and ecology track).

Just practice and know that your hard work will pay off. When you finish the test, you will feel like you did horribly, but trust that your hard work will pay off.

Half a year, averaging about 4 hours a day. Should have score higher based on how much time I had, but I think I was a bit too relaxed and complacent in my studying.

Hey nice work!

PS=13 VR=13 WS=Q BS=12 Composite=38Q

2) The study method used for each section? 3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)?

I started to study 3 months before my exam by reviewing content using the EK books. I tried to do a chapter a day. Given that there are 27 chapters total in the EK series, this took about a month. The way I did this was to read carefully all the content (even the topics I thought were my strengths) and then go through what I just had read and write down important points. This wasn't extremely laborious, ~2 pages of written notes per section. I think it's noteworthy to say that I did not alternate sections, i.e. doing Bio1, Chem1, Ochem1, Phys1, Bio2, Chem2, etc. I reviewed each section in blocks of two except for Ochem which I did all in one block. So it looked something like this: Bio1-5, Chem1-3, Phys1-3, Bio6-9, Chem4-7, Phys4-7, Ochem1-4. I think doing it this way helped me stay on top of my schedule, and gave what I was learning more cohesiveness. With the exception of one practice test (AAMC9), I did not do a single practice question in my first month.

In the second month I went through all the practice questions in the EK content books (not the EK1001) after shortly reviewing their respective chapter. It was this month I started to do a full verbal test from the EK101 Verbal passages every other day. I also took AAMC 10 and 11 during this time.

My final month was devoted to doing questions from EK1001, finishing up EK101 Verbal, doing some Kaplan Verbal passages, reviewing topics that I felt I was weaker on, taking other AAMC practice tests, and flashcards. Flashcards: some of my friends had flashcards from various test-prep companies, none of which were what I was looking for. My problem with them was that they seemed to just give an overarching, broad topic like "magnetism" and expect you to spout out all these facts about it without any direction to what they're getting at. I just bought a pack of blank note cards and made my own set. Going over content, figuring out what is worth putting on a note card, and writing the information is great practice in itself. I only put things on it that I felt were important to memorize, things like hormones, physics and chem equations, ochem rules, etc. I would try to go over these once a night.

The only FLs I used were AAMC.
In order of date taken:

(PS,VR,BS)
AAMC 9: 35 (12, 10, 13)
AAMC 10: 36 (12, 11,13)
AAMC 11: 39 (14, 11, 14)
AAMC 4: 37 (13, 10, 14)
AAMC 5: 39 (14, 12, 13)
AAMC 6: 38 (14, 10, 14)
AAMC 7: 39 (15, 11, 13)

Averages: 37.5 (13.4, 10.7, 13.4)

Molecular Bio.

Start early enough! Trying to cram all this info in and practice within a month is probably not going to be effective. Starting early also relives some of the stress and anxiety. I think a good spread would be 4-3 months.

Getting exposed to research and the thought processes that go along with it is a great way to hone reasoning skills that will be extremely beneficial on the science sections.

This is a pet peeve of mine: both times I took the MCAT, there were people who took notes or one of those rip-out things from Kaplan with "everything you need to know" printed on it in microscopic text and were studying up until the point where they had to put everything away. I just can't imagine doing this would add even a single point to their score. Go into the test as calm, collected, and confident as possible because you will be more likely to perform better under this condition.

3 months

Last edited:
Yay! I'm so glad I can finally post here :)

Take 1: PS: 12 VR: 7 BS: 11 W: S Composite: 30S (Sept. 10, 2011)
Take 2: PS: 14 VR: 9 BS: 12 W: T Composite: 35T (Jan. 28, 2012)

2) Study Method
Take 1: I started SN2ed's schedule about 2 weeks late, so I was playing catch up the entire time. Most days I would spend 6-8 hours studying. My schedule would be: Read/take notes on the chapter, then time myself doing the first 1/3 passages directly after. I would then do my Verbal practice for the day (usually 3 or 4 passages), then take a lunch break. Following that, I then read/took notes for the second chapter (if I decided to do a second, which I usually did). That was followed by timed passages.
The next day, the very first thing I would do is review passages from the last day. I would go through and make sure I understood the explanations, and if I got one wrong, I wouldn't look at the explanation until I figured out what I did wrong. If I couldn't figure out, then I would check the explanation once - then go back and try and solve it again. I did this until I was sure that I could catch my mistake next time.

The second time around, I had exhausted TBR, so I went with the EK book set that I had bought in addition to TBR. Each day, I read 1 or 2 chapters and did the practice passages in the EK book for them. I also pumped my reading schedule a LOT - the Economist, the Atlantic, Malcolm Gladwell essays, etc. This was over winter break in conjunction with research, so I just brushed up on the topics and memorized equations again and the like.

In January, I did nothing but practice, practice and more practice. I bought a TPRH Science Workbook which was nothing but well over 600 pages of PS and BS passages and problems. Each day, I would do 1 or 2 subjects' worth of passages - this averaged out to about five to six passages per day. My test was Saturday at 1PM, so I took the TBR practice tests on Saturdays at 1PM. I also fit one on free Tuesdays/Thursdays, whichever one I had could spare the time for. All in all, this worked out pretty well and I was able to complete 2 practice tests a week and 1 the week of my test, exhausting all of the TBR tests right up until the real thing.

3) Study Materials
Take 1: SN2ed's plan: TBR and EK Bio with the 1001 questions, and EK 101.
Take 2: I used EK the second time around to review and summarize the concepts for the first month. Having exhausted TBR and EK 101 for VR, I bought a used TPRH Verbal Workbook and TPRH Science Workbook and just did practice, practice, practice. I also bought the first five TBR CBTs and exhausted those as well. All in all, the second attempt, I spent about 2 months studying.

4) Practice Tests
AAMC 3 PS: 12 VR: 11 BS: 14 Composite: 37
AAMC 4 PS: 12 VR: 12 BS: 14 Composite: 38
AAMC 5 PS: 11 VR: 11 BS: 12 Composite: 34
AAMC 7 PS: 11 VR: 11 BS: 11 Composite: 33
AAMC 8 PS: 10 VR: 11 BS: 12 Composite: 33
AAMC 9 PS: 11 VR: 11 BS: 12 Composite: 34
AAMC 10 PS: 14 VR: 11 BS: 13 Composite: 38
AAMC 11 PS: 13 VR: 11 BS: 14 Composite: 38
Average: 35.6

In terms of test order, I went 5 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 3 - 4 - 11

For TBR tests, they do not give you a precise breakdown of score, only a range. Based on their scale, I would say my scores ranged around 32 to 34.

5) Undergraduate Major
Molecular Genetics and French double major. Take 1 was over the summer after my sophomore year and Take 2 was during winter break/January.

6) Tips?
DON'T GET DISCOURAGED! And when you practice, time yourself consistently and more rigorously than the actual test. That way, you can have even MORE time on the test and not panic when you realize you're going at a slower pace. When I started out, I averaged 7-9 minutes per passage. As I got closer to both tests, I shaved that time down to 4-6 minutes per passage. This includes reading AND answering all questions. Not to mention, when I started - I was being absolutely slaughtered by TBR Physics and Biology. I routinely got 3 or 2 out of 7 right. As time went on, I adjusted, adapted and ended up routinely getting 5 or 6 out of 7!

And did I mention DON'T GET DISCOURAGED? As you see, I averaged a 35.6 and got a 30 on the real thing. I was pretty disappointed but I knew that my potential was not a 30. It was at least where my practice was. And upon reflection, I realized just how burnt out and tired I was during the real thing. In addition, I would hazard a guess and say that because I did not know the whole room security procedure, the uncertainty of it all threw me off. With this in mind, I chose to retake - and I'm extremely glad I spent the effort to do so.

So, for those who are unfamiliar with Prometric, here is a typical procedure:
1. You arrive at the testing center.
2. You wait in line to get a Computer Number and locker key.
3. You obtain said Number and key. Take your driver's license/form of ID out of your wallet and PLACE IT IN YOUR POCKET.
4. Place your snack, water, keys, wallet, etc. in the locker. Lock it.
5. At this point, you should have only your locker key and ID on yourself. You will not need anything else.
6. You wait in line as the Testing center staff will begin to sign people into the system. They will scan your license onto their computer and take a picture before the test for their system.
7. They will scan you with a handheld detector for metal, etc. (think airport security)
8. They will also take fingerprints of your index finger, both right and left hand.
9. At some point here, you will receive a scratch work booklet and a good number of pencils.
10. You are ready. They send you in, you sit down at your computer and the test starts. At this point, it is identical to an AAMC test, including format on the PC.
11. Once you're done with a section, you will take your number card with you and exit the room. Once outside, they will flip a binder with registrant names inside to yours truly and you will "sign out" - that is, sign your signature and time you signed out. This is your break time between sections.
12. At this point, you can go to your locker and snack, relax a bit, drink, etc.
13. Keep track of your time. The next part is what threw me off the first time as I did not anticipate it.
14. To re-enter the room, you will have to once again sign in in the registrant binder, as well as the time.
15. They will sweep you again with the detector.
16. You will need to place your fingerprint on their detector - once it matches, you're good to head back in.
17. Rinse and repeat to the next section, and so forth.
18. Once the BS section is done, you will have the opportunity to void your exam or not. There is a five-minute timer to decide.
19. Upon deciding if you want to void or not, you will have to fill out a survey by the AAMC concerning the testing center, quality and whatnot.
20. When the survey is finished, you can leave the room. Take all your scratch paper and pencils and stuff with you. They will print out an officially marked letter from the AAMC confirming that you will follow confidentiality policies, and you get to take this with you as a reminder.
21. Congratulations, you have just finished the MCAT! :cool:

This might not be terribly useful for most, but I'm someone who, when studying, wants to get most, if not every small detail down so I'm not surprised or thrown off-kilter.

If I missed anything here, please let me know! I know it's difficult to really get a sense for the rhythm of the actual center, but hopefully this can provide some measure of insight.

In addition, and I know this is a highly variable and hard idea: DO NOT GET HUNG UP ON A PASSAGE! If you encounter one that targets a weak topic of yours, DO NOT WASTE EXTRA TIME ON IT. This also applies to individual questions. There is no sense in averaging under a minute per question only to actually waste five minutes on the real thing. If you must, mark it and move on. Then, with your extra time, come back and use some of it up.

Finally, take your practice tests seriously. Do not look anything up, do not think, "Oh, I can come back and etc...". Treat it as a real test and you'll feel at home come test day. Time yourself strictly to the minute, because if you grow comfortable with extra time, it's going to throw you off considerably during the real thing. Once you take a practice test, it essentially becomes unusable for quite a while, so make the most of the ones you take.

7) How Long?
All said, approximately five months. Though this was split into the three summer months and December/January combinations. It's going to be a long process - just know that you're not alone. Also, once you set a schedule and routine and follow it to a T - it will pay dividends much longer down the road. One simply needs to have the patience and will to tough out the extremely rough initial steps.

A final note - writing this was incredibly cathartic. I'm just glad to be past the whole process of studying and waiting for the damn scores. As many will say, the wait post-test is definitely the worst part of the entire ordeal. To anyone who reads this, I hope I was helpful! Good luck to those who still have to take the test. :luck:

thank you so much for writing such a thorough response :):thumbup:

If anyone wants to review my MCAT Study plan for this coming summer (June 16-Sept. 11 - test day), PM me. I have made a pretty extensive excel sheet with the plan for each day. Maybe we can collaborate on a really good study plan that can hopefully yield a 30+ score!!

This might seem like a stupid question but what do the initials TPR stand for .. I am in the midst of looking for good MCAT prep materials. i will be taking my test July. Thanks for any advice ...

It took me a few minutes to realize what this abbrev. meant too. But best of luck on the mcats!

I would love to take at look at the study plan that you've set up! Mine will probably vary slightly though because I intend to take it later in summer, probably end of Aug.

PS: EK Physics. EK Chemistry. Kaplan. EK1001 Chemistry/Physics. Kaplan discretes. You can NEVER DO ENOUGH PROBLEMS!

VR: EK101, Kaplan Verbal Tests, Harpers, New Yorker (read your butt off)
FYI: I attribute the 14 to raw luck. I averaged 11 on AAMC VR, never scoring above 13.

Hey! I have a question about the Kaplan materials you used. What exactly did you use from Kaplan in the PS section. Also, what are Kaplan discretes and Kaplan Verbal Tests, and how do you get them (i.e. are they in a specific Kaplan book)?
Thanks!

Wow can you guys get the heck out of this thread and PM the posters who you want more information from, lol? There's nothing worse than seeing a new post in this thread, only to find out it's not an actual advice post, but a noob asking for some (my post included, sorry lol)

Leave this thread for people to actually report their scores/strategies

/end rant! :smuggrin:

PS=12 VR=11 WS=S BS=12 Composite=35S

PS: Read chapter of Berkeley review, did the problems at the end of the chapter in accordance with the phases. The key for PS is practice, practice, practice! You need to be quick with your calculations and that means you had better get good at estimating. My real MCAT had A LOT of calculation type questions but I believe TBR prepared me well for it. Also, please take the time to learn the underlying concept behind the things you are learning and be able to apply them to real life situations whenever possible. Memorizing a formula is cool and all, but that won't help you too much during the real test. I also used chad's videos and some of wikipremed's videos as supplements to my learning.

BS: First off, take orgo seriously! I didn't take it too seriously because I didn't think it was going to be a big part of my MCAT, I was wrong! I had 2 very hard orgo passages + discretes which left me very nervous. Just make sure you understand what is going on in each reaction and WHY each reagent is being used and why certain types are preferred over other types. Most of my orgo questions were WHY's rather than WHAT's. As for biology, this is pretty straight forward. Use the princeton review MCAT biology book. It may look very detailed but trust me, it is super helpful. You do need to know the little details and you also need to know the big picture type things. A lot of the biology questions were based off of data given in the passage so make sure you actively read the passage because a lot of the answers can be found there. For practice I would read the princeton review book for bio and TBR for orgo then do corresponding phases in the TBR bio and TBR orgo books. The TBR passages may seem very daunting and difficult at first, but keep trying because they really do make you think critically which is very important for the MCAT. Also, during my last month of studying I was done with content review but wasn't feeling confident in my bio knowledge so I basically took the AAMC content outline for bio and went through each bullet point and expanded on it by using info provided by TPR bio and wikipedia and putting it into microsoft word as one big outline. (inspired by ponyo's 30+ post). I only got about half way done but had I started to do this earlier I think my bs score might have improved even more.

**For all the content chapters that I read I would take notes by hand in a notebook and then review them before taking my phases and also review them once every couple weeks in order to keep the info fresh in my head. It may have been overkill but, meh, it worked fine for me.**

VR: Seriously just actively read try not to reread the sentences multiple times and just stay focused on the reading and keep asking yourself "what is the author trying to say?" and "how does the author feel about this?" I tried to adhere to the exam krackers strategy because I liked it and I guess it pulled through for me. Make sure you are timing your self from the beginning because once you get your timing down you will start to notice improvements in your verbal scores. I personally performed way above my practice verbal averages so I attribute to test day adrenaline and getting verbal passages that I liked to read.

Writing: I googled some writing strategies like the night before, it really isn't a big deal, don't stress it.

-The berkeley review for chem, physics, bio(passages only), orgo
-Princeton review MCAT bio for biology
-wikipedia for bio (seriously it is SO helpful!)
-official AAMC topic list
-Chad's videos for physics and chemistry
-wikipremed for physics and chemistry
-princeton review hyperlearning verbal
-exam krackers 101 verbal passages
-exam krackers 1001 questions in physics,chem,orgo
-princeton review science workbook *Seriously guys GET YOUR HANDS ON THIS BOOK! it is filled with tons of discretes and passages that range from impossibly hard to somewhat easy. I started using this during the last 3 weeks of my review so I couldn't finish the entire book but the stuff that I learned from doing the passages in this book definitely helped me on the real mcat. Once again, I HIGHLY recommend getting this book.

AAMC 3 - 11

4a.) Practice exam scores
AAMC's (total, PS, VR, BS)
3 - 30, 10,10,10
4 - 29, 12,7,10
5 - 33, 12,11,10
7 - 29, 11,7,11
8 - 31, 12,7,12
9 - 33, 12,9,12
10 - 33, 11,9,13
11 - 33, 11,10,12

Average: 31.375

So yes, I did excel far past my average, I'm not really sure what happened on test day. I pumped myself up on the way there, stayed VERY calm during the entire thing and just did my thing. By the time the test came I was so used to the testing environment that the real MCAT felt like just another practice test when I started. Probably because I would take my practice tests alone and under strict timed conditions without pausing the exams ever. Simulating the real testing environment is really important.

Neuroscience & Cell biology

If the test is far away, try and read books or newspapers. It will help you keep your reading skills up and it definitely won't hurt. For those of you that are in the 3 - 4 months window, please stay on top of your reading and passages. You need to take this thing seriously from the very beginning. You will probably burn out, I know I did multiple times. The best thing you can do is take a day off and just relax, studying while being burned out is a HUGE WASTE OF TIME! Also, use videos to supplement your understanding and also visit the MCAT forum here on SDN and ASK QUESTIONS! I used the MCAT study Q&A section a lot and it really helps to talk about things with your peers. Maybe if you're bored one day you could go there and try to answer other peoples questions. Basically just use every single resource you have available. The test is a pain in the behind to study for once and no one wants to study for it twice so just do it right the first time.

Januray 1st - April 28th. I didn't study every single day because I was also taking a 15 credit course load so I had classes every day along with homework and exams to study for. I did however TRY to study every day and would spend at least 3+ hours on a normal day. I'm by no means a "genius" so if I could do it with classes so can you! I did have to sacrifice a lot of social time but in the end it was worth it!

Last edited:
1. 15PS, 13VR, 14BS, 42R Composite (4/28/12)
I actually came out of the exam feeling pretty good on PS and VR, and a bit iffy on BS. Timing on the exam was probably the best I achieved, as I was able to double check 100% of PS and BS and 75% of VR. I predicted about a 41 (15/12/14), and the actual score came pretty close. I actually thought I screwed up my writing quite a bit, but apparently it turned out ok.

2. Study methods:
Gchem: Had a fairly good background from freshman intro chem, but eventually took the time to review everything. Something that worked well for me was deriving equations or rewriting functions, as it helped me get a feel for the quantitative aspects of Gchem. Probably my 3rd strongest subject going into the exam.

Physics: Luckily I had a very good high school physics department, which pushed students towards 4's and 5's across the board for Physics B and C AP exams. Took physics again a year prior to the MCAT as a sort of review, and I actually enjoy doing mental math quite a bit. I would say my strongest subject going into the exam.

Biology: Had taken several courses prior to the exam, and am quite familiar with research articles and experimentation in the biological fields. Overall, I did not really have any worries with bio passages, but was a bit less certain on discretes that tested detail. 2nd strongest subject.

Ochem: Took Ochem a year or two prior, which was probably the course I have performed the worst in during college. Relied pretty heavily on random online tutorials, youtube videos, and wikipedia for random knowledge. I'm still iffy on certain nuances for Ochem. Subject I had the least confidence in.

Verbal: With verbal, I did almost strictly passages, emphasizing understanding answers. Going into verbal, I actually started off relatively low, going from below 10, to around 10, to finally ~12 on my final diags. I tend to read fairly fast and understand and somewhat enjoy most passages I read, with 10-15 minutes at the end of each section to double-check, but I still would miss more problems than I wanted to. This section really messed with my mind out of all the sections. Often times I could read a passage, answer the questions, read the answers, and still disagree with the correct answers and the reasoning. I would tend to go into verbal sections with confidence, get out with high expectations, and end up somewhat disappointed. I probably can't say too much as to how to improve on verbal.

Overall: I stressed more time on content and less on practice than the average person, as my feeling was I was doing fairly well on time, but really wanted to nail content to an extent further than was likely to be tested. Techniques I used included drawing diagrams and pictures for biology from memory, deriving formulas for Gchem, doing practice problems for Ochem, and lecturing out loud to myself in front of a mirror (somehow this seems to work extremely well for me).

3. Study materials.
Took a TPR course, with TPR online and text materials. Also had access to EK audio osmosis, which I probably listened to about 2-3 times over on average. I used EK 101, which was helpful in that there was the availability of extra material. My college courses and TPR really drove up my biology score. For example, at my first diagnostic, I knew almost nothing about body systems, but by the actual exam, I was fairly confident on all of the questions about the body systems asked. I also had access to a few random Kaplan and old TPR materials from friends.

4. Used many of the TPR diagnostic exams, and AAMC 4. Skipped all but one of the essays to save time.

TPR 1: 9/7/6 = 22 (Biology section died on me halfway through, so about half the questions were unmarked and graded as such).
TPR 2: 11/7/11 = 29
TPR 3: 11/12/10 = 33
TPR 4: 10/11/11 = 32
TPR 5: 14/10/14 = 38
TPR MCAT Online Review 1: 9/8/10 = 27 (Pretty hard, doubt I would crack a 35 with what I know now)
TPR MCAT Online Review 2: 9/11/11 = 31
TPR 6: 14/11/13 = 38
AAMC 4: 14/11/14 = 39
Actual: 15/13/14 = 42

5. Undergraduate major: Biology/Mathematics. Mostly took biology courses prior to the MCAT, with a good number of chemistry courses, and a few mathematics courses.

6. Advice/tips:
First of all, this website actually was a very useful source for information, Q&A, and tips about both content and the test itself. I especially reviewed much of the material posted here online for chemistry, which was really helpful for me.

As far as verbal goes, I thought it was probably the hardest section and the one that I wouldn't mind erasing from the test. I didn't really adopt a concrete strategy, but in general, I did not preview, I went in order unless compelled otherwise by an ugly passage, and used POE a decent amount but basically resorted to seeing something familiar in an answer choice, confirming it existed in the passage in the right context, and bubbling away. Generally I took 2-3 minutes to read each passage, and took about 40 seconds for each question. A large part of my verbal strategy was that I needed to understand the passage. Even if select phrases weren't completely clear, it seemed to take a psychological toll on me and I would miss questions erratically. As long as I understood the passage, I usually felt good about my answer choices.

I tried to set a high goal (45) with the understanding that I was trying to avoid complacency during studying for the exam. I'm not sure whether it actually worked, but in any case, I still felt very compelled to improve even with diagnostic scores of ~38. Depending on where you want your final score to be, this may be a useful tactic.

On test day, I was actually very happy with the testing facility and would like to thank the test center as it really was not a concern at any point. Sleep well and eat well, and try to go into the test calm and trusting your mind/intuition (at least that's what seemed to work for me). Use your breaks, making sure you go into every section calm and collected. I brought chocolate as snacks during breaks, and it likely had some positive effect, perhaps real or placebo.

7. Time studied:
Summer of 2011: ~3 hours a day.
February - April 2012: 10-20 hours a week.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Holy Hell! That is awesomeeeeeee! Congratulations!:thumbup:

Thanks, though I am pretty inclined to think I was lucky in the topics presented to me on the actual test. Seeing as how it seems your test is coming up in a bit, I wish you the best of luck studying and taking your MCAT.

I actually came out of the exam feeling pretty good on PS and VR, and a bit iffy on BS. Timing on the exam was probably the best I achieved, as I was able to double check 100% of PS and BS and 75% of VR. I predicted about a 41 (15/12/14), and the actual score came pretty close. I actually thought I screwed up my writing quite a bit, but apparently it turned out ok.

2. Study methods:
Gchem: Had a fairly good background from freshman intro chem, but eventually took the time to review everything. Something that worked well for me was deriving equations or rewriting functions, as it helped me get a feel for the quantitative aspects of Gchem. Probably my 3rd strongest subject going into the exam.

Physics: Luckily I had a very good high school physics department, which pushed students towards 4's and 5's across the board for Physics B and C AP exams. Took physics again a year prior to the MCAT as a sort of review, and I actually enjoy doing mental math quite a bit. I would say my strongest subject going into the exam.

Biology: Had taken several courses prior to the exam, and am quite familiar with research articles and experimentation in the biological fields. Overall, I did not really have any worries with bio passages, but was a bit less certain on discretes that tested detail. 2nd strongest subject.

Ochem: Took Ochem a year or two prior, which was probably the course I have performed the worst in during college. Relied pretty heavily on random online tutorials, youtube videos, and wikipedia for random knowledge. I'm still iffy on certain nuances for Ochem. Subject I had the least confidence in.

Verbal: With verbal, I did almost strictly passages, emphasizing understanding answers. Going into verbal, I actually started off relatively low, going from below 10, to around 10, to finally ~12 on my final diags. I tend to read fairly fast and understand and somewhat enjoy most passages I read, with 10-15 minutes at the end of each section to double-check, but I still would miss more problems than I wanted to. This section really messed with my mind out of all the sections. Often times I could read a passage, answer the questions, read the answers, and still disagree with the correct answers and the reasoning. I would tend to go into verbal sections with confidence, get out with high expectations, and end up somewhat disappointed. I probably can't say too much as to how to improve on verbal.

Overall: I stressed more time on content and less on practice than the average person, as my feeling was I was doing fairly well on time, but really wanted to nail content to an extent further than was likely to be tested. Techniques I used included drawing diagrams and pictures for biology from memory, deriving formulas for Gchem, doing practice problems for Ochem, and lecturing out loud to myself in front of a mirror (somehow this seems to work extremely well for me).

3. Study materials.
Took a TPR course, with TPR online and text materials. Also had access to EK audio osmosis, which I probably listened to about 2-3 times over on average. I used EK 101, which was helpful in that there was the availability of extra material. My college courses and TPR really drove up my biology score. For example, at my first diagnostic, I knew almost nothing about body systems, but by the actual exam, I was fairly confident on all of the questions about the body systems asked. I also had access to a few random Kaplan and old TPR materials from friends.

4. Used many of the TPR diagnostic exams, and AAMC 4. Skipped all but one of the essays to save time.

TPR 1: 9/7/6 = 22 (Biology section died on me halfway through, so about half the questions were unmarked and graded as such).
TPR 2: 11/7/11 = 29
TPR 3: 11/12/10 = 33
TPR 4: 10/11/11 = 32
TPR 5: 14/10/14 = 38
TPR MCAT Online Review 1: 9/8/10 = 27 (Pretty hard, doubt I would crack a 35 with what I know now)
TPR MCAT Online Review 2: 9/11/11 = 31
TPR 6: 14/11/13 = 38
AAMC 4: 14/11/14 = 39
Actual: 15/13/14 = 42

5. Undergraduate major: Biology/Mathematics. Mostly took biology courses prior to the MCAT, with a good number of chemistry courses, and a few mathematics courses.

6. Advice/tips:
First of all, this website actually was a very useful source for information, Q&A, and tips about both content and the test itself. I especially reviewed much of the material posted here online for chemistry, which was really helpful for me.

As far as verbal goes, I thought it was probably the hardest section and the one that I wouldn't mind erasing from the test. I didn't really adopt a concrete strategy, but in general, I did not preview, I went in order unless compelled otherwise by an ugly passage, and used POE a decent amount but basically resorted to seeing something familiar in an answer choice, confirming it existed in the passage in the right context, and bubbling away. Generally I took 2-3 minutes to read each passage, and took about 40 seconds for each question. A large part of my verbal strategy was that I needed to understand the passage. Even if select phrases weren't completely clear, it seemed to take a psychological toll on me and I would miss questions erratically. As long as I understood the passage, I usually felt good about my answer choices.

I tried to set a high goal (45) with the understanding that I was trying to avoid complacency during studying for the exam. I'm not sure whether it actually worked, but in any case, I still felt very compelled to improve even with diagnostic scores of ~38. Depending on where you want your final score to be, this may be a useful tactic.

On test day, I was actually very happy with the testing facility and would like to thank the test center as it really was not a concern at any point. Sleep well and eat well, and try to go into the test calm and trusting your mind/intuition (at least that's what seemed to work for me). Use your breaks, making sure you go into every section calm and collected. I brought chocolate as snacks during breaks, and it likely had some positive effect, perhaps real or placebo.

7. Time studied:
Summer of 2011: ~3 hours a day.
February - April 2012: 10-20 hours a week.
Impressive!!! Congrats on a great score.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.