30+ MCAT study habits???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

confewshz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know this question has been asked a zillion times, but I like to get fresh perspectives. For those who got 30+ MCAT scores(SouthernGirl, beanbean, JScrusader, Samoa, nero, and anyone else who has a 30+ MCAT score), can you post the following information please? It would be greatly appreciated.

1) Your individual scores and composite score

2) The study method used for each section

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)

4) Which practice tests did you use?

5) What was your undergraduate major?

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?

Thanks guys and congrats to everyone who recently took the MCAT :clap: ,

confewshz

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question for you all (who posted your methods)-

Are you all just naturally smart?

Because that might be factor. I mean I don't know if studying two hours a night will do me any justice.

Some people are already naturally "there" so they don't need a lot of studying. But others (like me) even though we have a nice gpa and we learned this stuff, we still have a hard time with the exam even after studying 6+ hours a day.

hey bb,
for me personally, i guess i was just posting to show that everyone has diff. styles. b/c if i was just getting ready to take the mcat i would get freaked out if i saw people posting and everyone who posted said they had studied 4-6 hrs or more every day! so just wanted to show a variety, to make people who might study fewer hours feel more confident. like i said, i have a short attention span- so if something's not sinking in quickly, I'll look for the absolute fastest way to make it stay in my head. i feel like everyone has to find what works for them but i'm definitely the type who likes to spend time figuring out what my brain needs and only covering that much, in the way that my brain needs me to cover it.

by the way, i have a really really horrible gpa, so i'm pretty jealous of your 'nice' one! personally, i admit that i need a better work ethic- i just hope med school will force one into me. . .

Originally posted by soonerpillow
Yeah, I'm retaking.
I just love studying for that test. :D
like I said, I don't think I studied as much as I could have (i.e. I really do think I can do better.) and my score is a little below average for some of the schools I want to apply to. especially the Physical Sciences and Writing Sample.

I did the same thing in high school with the SATs and ACTs. I like to take them until I feel I've beaten them (into submission).

Oh, and sure, you can have my old score. :laugh: I'll just contact AAMC and have them transfer them to you. I'm sure they won't mind (although there will probably be a fee, for both of us :laugh: )

what i would do for a 32. :rolleyes:
I'd give away all my prized possessions, then again that =$0 :p
But dang, ur something else. Actually Bushbaby we can split it, infact i can just have 10pts and u can keep the rest :)
The way its looking i might have to retake this *^&% again in August, talk about no summer, and I'm supposed to be workin on my thesis.

Members don't see this ad :)
But dang, ur something else

I didn't realize it was such a big deal that I'm retaking it. I was being sort of sarcastic about liking to study for it. My premed advisor advised me to retake it, so I am. Sorry if I sounded arrogant or ungrateful. I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad.

All these sublime scores make me feel not-so-special with my 30+.

But...

10VR, 12PS, 10BS = 32 with S writing section

Step 1: reviewed the list of MCAT topics for the science sections published by AAMC. I bought the Kaplan book and learned the content of the instructional sections. If I were still uncomfortable with a subject I would return to my textbooks.
Step 2: Diagnostic test...took test from Kaplan, AAMS, old PR tests, etc. one subject area at a time, without time limitation to ascertain what I really didn't yet know and reviewed those subjects even more.
Step 3: Most importantly, I took several timed, full-length tests.

For verbal...uh, not much...just took practice tests to hone time management. My bac. degree trained me to read carefully and slowly...not necessarily good for the MCAT.

For writing...despite that many people say that this is insignificant (I'm not convinced), I figured, as a humanities major, I need to do well here, so I downloaded the list of old questions and randomly chose one once a day and tried to answer coherently within the time limit. It's pretty easy to master their format with a little practice.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)

AAMC, primarily

Religion, Philosophy, Greek

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Test anxiety, fatigue, poor time management can hurt you as much - or more - than lack of knowledge...make sure to practice several full-length tests. I can see the benefit of taking a prep course for the simulated test conditions alone.

~ 4 months...should have been longer!

bump

for all you august mcaters, this really helped me out to get an idea of how to get started studying

good luck

Great thread...
it seems the general trend is that hard work = good score :)

thanks to everyone that posted.
hopefully I'll be replying with my own study habits after August :scared:

I took the test a few years ago, but I'll answer this because I'm bored.

PS: 11, BS: 11, VR: 15, essay: don't remember

Didn't study for V, for others, see below.

I used a Kaplan "MCAT Comprehensive Review" book, only.
Read it through and through several times. Try to memorize the PS and BS portions of this book and you'll do moderately fine.

Nothing except what was contained in the above.

Chemical engineering

Don't go crazy over it. The difficulty of test (in my opinion) lies in the time constraint, not the material itself.

About two weeks, I think... one week of 2-4 hours a day, and a week of intense, 8 hours a day studying.

Hello all,

Now that the April scores are out, for those of you that did well on the MCAT, can you post your study habits to this thread? Thanks.

confewshz

Well, did not get a 30+, my composite is 30Q, 11VR, 11BS, 8PS, Q
The key (believe me I know, look at my 8) is to read ALL passages and answer all questions. You must avoid at all costs getting hung up somewhere and then having to rush and randomly bubbling in like I had to do. I always ran out of time for PS but always bubbled in something, but on the real MCAT I ran out of time for three passages and had to put C's for 15 questions, that is a lot so hence my 8. Even though you will get some wrong, actually reading the passage and putting down your best guess is better than just randomly putting down whatever. Okay for study:

I did 11 full practice exams, all the AAMC ones (I-VI) and then 5 more from TPR. These were timed exams like the real thing. I also took on top of those, 10 full VR exams from EK (must have for those struggling with verbal!). You will see improvement if you keep at it. I did take a prep course which helped a lot, I took tpr. I did ALL the workbook problems, and this is very important for the problems are somewhat like the real thing. I spent more than 500 hours on this beast (yeah, that seems a lot but some of us need that much time). I started studying during Xmas break with EK, and then used tpr once the course started. The real exam was much harder than any of the practice exams that I took period. My PS had 80% gen chem and only 20% physics, so never assume anything, it could go either way. The bio was extremely hard the curve must have been generous, the verbal was golden for EK exams were hard and I was used to the touchy feely questions for verbal. No matter how hard you study, how many practice exams you take, there is really no telling how you will do. You hope to do well, but I know of many people that prepared rigorously and still did not get above a 24. That said, study hard, take lots of practice exams, pace yourself, and hope and pray for the best. Good luck to all of those prepping!

13P 12B 11V 36R

My highest practice test was a 33.

Now, I am someone who took most of the sciences 7-9 years ago (and not well I might add), with Physics being the exception, I took that recently at a local college.

I took Kaplan as I work full time, it fit my schedule, and without a class I wouldn't motivate. I studied on average 20 hours per week.

I knew I wasn't going to learn everything and not to the depth required for most university level science courses, so I really tried and focused on what came up most often.

I also realized that most of the answers are in the passages if you know what you are looking for. Relationships among variables are more important the the actual equations.

I took almost every Kaplan and AAMC question I could get my hands on. I went over every answer and wrote down the explanation for every wrong answer. For me, writing it down makes it stick in my mind.

Lastly, the most important thing I did was stop studying a whole week before the exam. I went in so relaxed. I rented a bunch of movies and started a new job all in the week before the test. Anything not to think about the test. I think that is what helped me the most. I didn't choke, and did better than any practice test.

Good luck!!

10V 15P 14B = 39R

Honestly, I think that the reason I did so well is because during all my pre-med classes, I made a sincere effort to really understand all the material, not just squeeze by with enough to ace the class. I took TPR, but remember- it's just a review course. Studying (hard) for a few weeks or even months isn't gonna do it; you need to be in it from the very beginning.

Congrats to everyone and go celebrate being done!

i think the above poster brings up a great point. i think its best to really try to get something out of your required premed classes. that makes your review much more manageable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my score..

11V 12B 12P WS-M <---i think my graders decided my handwriting was too bad!

I think kaplan is a waste of time. My teachers were boobs.....the guy teaching the verbal had to take the MCAT 5 times before he was acepted, specificaly because of his low verbal score.

Kaplan diagostic was a 9-10-10 for a 29....
On the AAMC i made a 38 on 3-r and 35 on 4-r

Here is my big tip......explain to your next door neighboors that if they throw a party it better be a tupperware party or your gonna use you chem knowledge to blow up their car! I got an HOUR of sleep the night before the exam! I had to ro to walmart and get hunting ear plugs.
I am very happy with my score, 35 rocks.....but I can't help but to think that if i had gotten some rest i might be sitting on a 38 or somthing that would let me walk out of my crappy state school an into the ivy leagues.....Dont let anyone screw with your plans!!!!
Kaplan sucks.

One more thing....if you are still a freshman or maybe sophomore and are not an exceptional test taker, change your major to biochem. Yes some people mange mid thirtied an above being religion majors but it is harder that way. If you take the extra classes....biochem2, physics for people with big balls, vert physiology ect (non requiered classes) you WILL do better.
Some info (like from vert phys) WILL be on the exam...Some classes may not even have content with is asked in the mcat but belive me, if you go off chasing some other non-science major your RETENTION of your science classes which are requiered WILL suffer. Be BIO-CHEM unless you just hate it.

Prep courses are a waste of money. If you really have to burn that money, save it and apply to more med schools later. (Alternatively, donate to the "BioChemDork needs $$$ 'Cause AMCAS Are Money-Sucking Leeches" Fund.) Anyway, here's what I did:

1) Go to your local med student store or med supply store, buy a cheapie stethescope.
2) Buy Kaplan, Princeton Review, EK, etc. review materials from eBay or SDN. It should cost ~$100 or so. (Hopefully you didn't sell your old textbooks back.)
3) Find out where the doctors/med students hang around in your university. (In my case, the biomed library.) This guarentees that there will be some food and coffee nearby. Also, when you get frustrated, you can just look up and see people at where you want to be in a few years.
4) Two months before the exam, go to the library every weekday after your classes. Put stethescope around your neck - it can act as your albatross, reminding you of the MCAT looming over you. Open review books and old text books, and start studying. Here's the important part: STAY TILL THE LIBRARY CLOSES EVERY NIGHT! (Not applicable if the library is a 24 hour one.)
5) Subscribe to the 4 AAMC e-MCAT practice tests ($80), and get any other "practice full length MCATs" that you can get your hands on. Go to the library every Saturday starting 6 weeks from the MCAT. Take the full test under testing conditions. Take a 2 hour break. Then GO OVER your test.

AAMC e-MCATs + prep materials off of SDN or eBay: $180
Stethescope: $20
UCLA library approved coffee mug: $5
Sitting in the library with your 38S, watching those gunners a**holes from your premed classes whine about how "unfair" the MCAT is 'cause they tried to cram for the test the same way as they do for the prerequisite classes, and ended up with a score 4 standard deviations below yours: PRICELESS

Total cost: $200. Went from a 33Q August 2002 to 38S this April 2003. =) (And yes, I'm a little bitter about how people can walk out of classes with an A without retaining ANYTHING.) Oh, and don't let anybody tell you that you can't do it, and it IS possible to improve 3 points or more on verbal. =)

Originally posted by efex101
Well, did not get a 30+, my composite is 30Q, 11VR, 11BS, 8PS, Q
The key (believe me I know, look at my 8) is to read ALL passages and answer all questions. You must avoid at all costs getting hung up somewhere and then having to rush and randomly bubbling in like I had to do. I always ran out of time for PS but always bubbled in something, but on the real MCAT I ran out of time for three passages and had to put C's for 15 questions, that is a lot so hence my 8. Even though you will get some wrong, actually reading the passage and putting down your best guess is better than just randomly putting down whatever. Okay for study:

I did 11 full practice exams, all the AAMC ones (I-VI) and then 5 more from TPR. These were timed exams like the real thing. I also took on top of those, 10 full VR exams from EK (must have for those struggling with verbal!). You will see improvement if you keep at it. I did take a prep course which helped a lot, I took tpr. I did ALL the workbook problems, and this is very important for the problems are somewhat like the real thing. I spent more than 500 hours on this beast (yeah, that seems a lot but some of us need that much time). I started studying during Xmas break with EK, and then used tpr once the course started. The real exam was much harder than any of the practice exams that I took period. My PS had 80% gen chem and only 20% physics, so never assume anything, it could go either way. The bio was extremely hard the curve must have been generous, the verbal was golden for EK exams were hard and I was used to the touchy feely questions for verbal. No matter how hard you study, how many practice exams you take, there is really no telling how you will do. You hope to do well, but I know of many people that prepared rigorously and still did not get above a 24. That said, study hard, take lots of practice exams, pace yourself, and hope and pray for the best. Good luck to all of those prepping!
Congratulations Efex!!! (Caligirl here :) )

I could put alot of this info to good use at the moment. :p

I'm glad I read this thread. I'm taking the MCAT next April, even though I am a senior (started premed late). I was going to sign up for the April Kaplan review course, but I'm glad I didn't.

I'm not one of these people who needs to study 12 hours a day to do well. I'm pretty sure I'll be self-motivated to do well on the MCAT (I'm looking forward to the challenge.) I will probably start light studying during the fall using old exams and all that, and increase it as April draws near.

Thanks for the wonderful ideas; I think you guys saved me $1300.

1. 36M (12p, 12v, 12b)

2. I used EK, solid science review for a month, then tons of practice questions/tests.

3. I took a Kaplan course for their practice materials and used the EK books for the science review. I never went to class, but I did most of their topical tests, watched some videos on areas I hadn't covered yet (2nd semester physics), and most importantly, took every one of the proctored tests they offered.

4. Kaplan

5. Music

6. I'll have to disagree w/the poster above, I don't think anyone should take classes just for the MCAT. The MCAT tests how you think much more than what you have memorized. If you find a non-sci subject you love and you're good at, take advantage of that. You'll be studying science for the rest of your life and this is your last chance.
If you can take physics w/o calculus, do it. I took it w/calculus and we spent a lot of time on stuff that's not on the MCAT.
Lastly, don't burn yourself out. I was practicing verbal way too hard towards the end, and ended up getting an 8 on AAMC VI. I just didn't care anymore and wanted to get it over with. I took the last week off of the books, just listening to AO, and I was fresh by Saturday.

7. 2-3 hours a day, 4 months

Composite: 41R
PS: 14, BS: 13, VR: 14, essay: R

PS - Lots of practice tests
VR - Lots of practice tests
BS - Lots of practice tests

Kaplan Course. Which, by the way, I didnt think helped much at all except for having access to their practice material. The class was useless.

AAMC I-VI
Kaplan 1-5, 8, 10
Many Kaplan "stand-alone" sections
Many Kaplan subject tests

Compsci

Be a good test taker. When I take the MCAT there are usually many questions I'm not sure of but on average I get 90% of those right by good guessing. The only way you'll do this is if you take lots of practice tests. Spend lots of time going over your practice tests and asking "why did I get this wrong." I'd say going over tests is just as important as taking them so spend lots of time.

low key for 2 months, then hardcore for 6 weeks.

V- 9, PS- 10, BS- 11, Writing -S ; Composite - 30S

studied princeton review books, and did alot of practice problems

Princeton Review

AAMC tests -1-5, Princeton MCATS -about 5-6 of them

Management Info Systems

if u are taking the test in april, then start studying in november
study every day like 4 hrs a day, weekends - 8 hours aday
spring break 10 hours a day

I told my friend to do this, and he got a 39

for those studying in the summer, i would study like 10 hours a day for 3 months

i started in june - studied 3 hours a day
july- studied 5 hours a day
august studied 12 hours a day until the 18th

my score 30 was also lower than expected cuz i had to piss real bad during the verbal section and then that lowered my score from 11 to a 9.

dont drink caffeine b4 the exam or wear some Depends

peace

Thank ya'll! (Especially the entertaining BioChemDork. I feel your financial pains..... you know they say, "Mo' money, mo' problems.")

This thread is wonderful! I'm taking it in april, and i've been wondering how to approach the studying for it. Thank you all so much for your advice. Good luck to august folks.

Composite Score 35N
V- 11
P-11
W-N
B-13

The study method used for each section

I read the kaplan book cover to cover twice and then attempted the practice exams from AAMC. After each test I reviewed material I missed or was unsure on. Just repeated the process.

Which practice tests did you use? 3R,4R,5R,6R,Kaplan tests

What was your undergraduate major?
Chemical Engineering

How long did you study for the MCAT?
4 months

I hope this helps. Good luck.

11, 11, 11, 33M

Just passages for V and PS, lots of reading for bio.

Princeton. I thought the review materials were quite good.

4 PR tests and 5R and 6R

Physical Education. Seriously.

Do tons of practice passages and tests. Try to get a good night sleep before the test (didn't happen for me).

In addition to the PR class, about 2-3 hours a day for 6 weeks. I pretty much quit 2 weeks before the test. I was sick as hell of studying for it. I wish I went one more week.

1) PS 14 BS 13 VR 13 WS T ==>40T

2) Spent a day rereading most all of my biochem textbook (Voet, Voet, and Pratt) and going over important charts and tables in my o-chem text (Wade). Spent another day going over virtually all of my gen chem text (Edding and Gammon, I think), paying special attention to electrolytic chemistry, Galvanic cells, and Gibbs free energy vs. enthalpy vs. internal energy. Also looked at bio text (Campbell, Reese, and the other guy) for info on cell and tissue types, the circulatory system, and viruses.

3) Got a Kaplan book for Christmas, cracked it once or twice, but decided it was overloaded with details. Spent no more than 10 minutes with the book.

4) Took the Kaplan "free sample" MCAT, decided they were probably trying to scare me (I didn't finish the sections in time, and got most all the problems they went over directly following the test wrong) so I never picked up my scores. Began taking the free MCAT that AAMC provides the morning of the test, at which time I found out that I couldn't use a calculator on the test. :(

5) Started as philosophy major, then switched to psych, currently finishing final year as chemical engineering / molecular biology double major.

6) READ READ READ READ READ READ READ. The test is not your obstacle, and Kaplan et al. will distract you with sh*tloads of information which is of minimal importance. 90% of the test is reading comprehension. Read lots of nonfiction. I recommend a few books, which will get you thinking about what theories of science mean: Mismeasure of Man (Gould), The Language Instinct (Pinker), Chlimbing Mount Improbable (Dawkins), The Bell Curve (Murray and Hernstein), Genome (Ridley), Guns, Germs, and Steel (Diamond), Meme Machines (Blackmore), and Exploding Suns (Asimov). Good books that make yo think critically and/or abstractly. Also, familiarize yourself with common scientific tests (eg, Western blots, SDS-PAGE, immunofluorescence, etc.) so you won't find the experimental descriptions so cumbersome. Learn unit analysis. Practice writing legibly with a pen, and when you are writing with MS word, look into why it's underlining your setences. Get "Elements of Style" by Stunk and White (it'll cost about $4, and it's well worth it).

7) About 2 1/2 days.

Good Luck! :) READ READ READ!!!!:) :D :clap:

Reactions: 1 user
Originally posted by confewshz
Hello everyone,

I know this question has been asked a zillion times, but I like to get fresh perspectives. For those who got 30+ MCAT scores(SouthernGirl, beanbean, JScrusader, Samoa, nero, and anyone else who has a 30+ MCAT score), can you post the following information please? It would be greatly appreciated.

15BS 15PS 13VR S Written
43S

BS/PS- hardcore schedule first two years of college
VR- two very competitive writing classes (HONC 83W and 59W for all the bruins out there), a steady diet of Steinbeck and the Kaplan Mcat 45 book

all sections- textbooks from classes mostly, and i did the kaplan mcat 45 book cover to cover

the free one from the mcat site

Majors:
Biochemistry
Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics

Minor:
Women's Studies

Dont f*cking stress. the mcat is a part of life, not the meaning of it. in the famous words of a brother who shall remain anonymous "sack up, booze hard and rock out with your cock out. you can sleep when you f*cking die." Dont forget that your undergraduate years will probably be the most fun you'll have in your life, dont waste them for some test.

long enough, I made myself put in 100 clockable just Mcat hours over the summer, but i'd count all those hours of honors intro chem classes as prep too, so you do the math

confewshz

Hello everyone,

--B 12, P 11, V 10; Q for a 33Q

--Bio: TPR Bio book
Physical: TPR Phys book and formula sheet
Verbal: TPR Verbal book, read the US News, studied the least for this part

--went through all the practice tests after the fact and wrote out what I got wrong

-- See above

-- TPR Diags, AAMC 5R & 6R, and the TPR Practice Tests A-D. The A-D tests are pretty helpful. If you can get most of them right, even without timing yourself, you're in good shape.

-- Biology

-- Your knowledge will carry you through. No matter how nervous you are on test day, if you prepared well, your nerves will go away within the first few minutes and you'll just do it.

-- Take a few upper level bio classes. You don't have to major in it, but take a cell bio or biochemistry class, even if it's just one a semester or year. The way the MCAT is now, those classes are extremely helpful.

-- Be tough on yourself when you're taking the practice exams. I know there is a tendency to give yourself extra time (i.e. well I got up to blow my nose, so I'll give myself an extra 10 minutes to finish this section) when you're practicing. Don't do it! Also do the practice tests in a sterile, foreign place. The best part about taking a review course for me was having to go through the routine 5 times, getting up early, hopping the train, going in an antiseptic room surrounded by other frazzled pre-meds...so that actual test day felt routine. Find a buddy too!

-- For the duration of the course (June 1-Aug 16). About 2-3 hours per day, not counting class time. Paced myself to finish up about a week before actual exam <-- very important! Realize that a week of studying won't make much difference.

-- Didn't study in silence. Usually had some music on.

-- Back at you!

confewshz

1) 39Q all 13s

2) Home review, no textbook use

3) Examkrackers exclusively

4) One EK test, 4 aamc Tests

5) Biomedical Science (premed)

6) Trust in ek, even if youre taking princeton or kaplan, get the ek books, and use them as primary study source! trust me on this one.

7) Aprox 10 weeks, with time increasing to around 8 to 10 hours a day the last 3 weeks or so.

1) VR:11,PS:12,BS:14, WS:R

VR:practice passages, then full length sections.
PS:read review books for the first month with periodic practice problems, second month primarily practice passages/full length tests.
BS:read review books for the first month with periodic practice problems, second month primarily practice passages/full length tests.

Kaplan course materials, EK books

Kaplan, AAMC

BIO

Be consistent in studying, try to shoot for a few hours a day, maybe take one day off per week where you don't do MCAT related stuff.

Don't follow the people who just say to take hard courses and take a practice test and say they're set to get a 40 because they are exceptional test takers, and represent a tiny fraction of the population.

Make sure you know why you miss every single problem in each practice passage.

Practice, practice, practice.

2 months, 3-4 hours a day, increasing to 10-12 hours per day in the last 2 weeks.

The Kaplan MCAT 45 book appears to be a good touch after looking over the Kaplan Comp. Review.
Congrats to those who did well. What is left now is April 17 '04 and I :p

I got a 28 (11,10,7) on Kaplans pre-class diagnostic and a 35 in August. I decided to study on my own rather than take a class. The best verbal prep book is no doubt EK's Verbal reasoning and Math review. It has some of the most straitforward strategies out there. I would not recommend EK VR 101. The passages are too easy and the anwser choices too obscure- it is not representative of the actual MCAT. Kaplan 45 book is pretty good for all sections. PR has the most in depth review books if you are worried about needing every bit of info about the sciences. I would not purchase any generic books (aside for K, PR, EK). I did not find them to be helpful.

Hello everyone,

38S PS: 14 VR:13 WS: S BS: 11

I started a TPR class in mid-June but started doing outside studying in July.

Verbal Reasoning
I was always strong in Verbal. On average I'd miss about 5 questions in Verbal practice tests-- this didn't really improve. I worked most on building up speed while maintaining my accuracy so that I could spend more time on those questions/passages that bothered me. I suppose the moral of my verbal study method is: personally tailor your study method for verbal and make sure that it contains a good volume of reading. I am unconvinced that there is a widely-applicable good choice for verbal study methods. However, I do recommend a few things: I read the rationales behind the "correct" answer choices on questions that I was either unsure (whether or not I got it right) and questions that I got wrong. I didn't adopt much of The Princeton Review's method, but I did add a little bit of margin writing, word-circling, and such. I added just enough so that I could reference the text more quickly, but not so much that making the first-pass through the text was tedious or more time-consuming.

Physical Sciences
It had been a while since I had done most of the physics in the PS section. I read every chapter and did every single stand-alone problem and almost all of the passages assigned by TPR. I moved ahead in physics from TPR's schedule doing one chapter every 2 or 3 days and I would create problem sets for myself from the chapter I was currently covering and from the chapters I had already covered. This meant that I was constantly reviewing material while adding new topics and problem types. The same goes for Chemistry. Understanding the concepts are more important than the number-crunching in my opinion.

Biological Sciences
I relied heavily on my reading skills for biology. However I made it a point of memorizing the endocrine system, all the hormones and enzymes, their sources, etc.... I also really focused on DNA translation and transcription. Otherwise, I just went through the TPR course on their given schedule. I neglected Orgo a great deal but that was partially because I was unwilling to spend my time memorizing a number of reactions that had a small chance of appearing on the test--though I recommend learning as much as you can out of the Biochem chapter of the TPR textbook. I also have yet to take the second half of Organic Chemistry in my coursework, and I figured that my time could be better spent on other material. What I found helpful for bio was that I would go through and make up and write down questions pertaining to the chapter as a I read it while maintaining an answer key elsewhere. The questions I created included simple recall questions but were typically more in-depth questions about physiology and "what if's."
This made reading through a chapter a fairly slow process. My idea was that I would go back and try and answer the questions
later for review. I found that I didn't really have to that (or perhaps I really didn't want to ;) ) because the designing of questions increased my retention. My bio score was my lowest (11), but there were a lot of contributions to that: I took college freshman biology my JR year of high school and haven't taken a bio course since, I only got through about 2/3 - 3/4 of the material in TPR's Biological Sciences text book, and I did very few of the passages. My goal was to learn certain things very well to spare me the pain of having to memorize minutiae, which annoys me almost as much as the 11th-hour Cub's loss last night.

I used TPR and their textbooks primarily. I liked them so much that in November I'll begin a part-time job teaching Physics, Gen Chem, and possibly Verbal for them in their MCAT classes. It pays well and I figure it's nice to share the love. :)

I did all 5 of the TPR course practice tests in real testing conditions over the course of June and July. These included AAMC 5R and 6R at the end of the course

Music, with an additional concentration in vocal performance
and a minor in Computer Science.

5.x Where did you go to school?

Stanford, the most beautiful school in the world.
Go Cardinal! And, Go Cubs incidentally. Though they really blew it in inning eight last night...but I digress.

1. Spend the money on a review course. I'll be the first to admit that the material they present could all be gleaned from textbooks, but the filters these courses provide on the material, and the psychological benefits from going through the motions of test-taking provide qualitative benefits, the so-called "intangibles" that are important in my opinion.
2. Make sure that you do at least a little reviewing of the material you've already covered each time you study.
3. Creating your own problem sets can be really useful. When doing problems on new material for the first time, I wouldn't concern myself with time too much. But once something was review, I always kept track of the time it took me to complete a certain number of questions.

Started TPR in mid-June, started doing the homework and assertive review of materials in the 2nd week of July. Studied hard-core the last three weeks. (Hard-core equals 2 - 3 hours a day in addition to TPR classes).

Rager1

I only had 3 weeks to study for the mcraps but by the hand of God, I came out with 33Q. Thanks, JC.

The key? Read the Godfather by Mario Puzo, watch lots of Pulp Fiction, and keep your head in your books.

BTW, I bought a Kaplan book to study for this... it didn't really help.

My apologies if there are some repeat suggestions.

37 S
(aug 2003) VR 11 PS 14 BS 12 WS S
(april 2000) VR9 PS10 BS9 WS R

Sciences:
I bought one of those fat review books and did a few sections of each science discipline every day. For anything that was shaky or ambiguous, I looked in textbooks for clarification/reinforcement.
Practice tests, however, are the key. Anytime I did a passage, I made sure to time it, regardless of the number of passages done. And i reviewed answers whether they were right or wrong. This may sound kind of obsessive, but i tracked the kind of questions/concepts that i kept on getting wrong, and honed understanding in the weak areas. This was useful in the verbal, too.
Verbal:
Did several passages each day, and made sure to time them all. Active reading----summarized each passage after reading it. For me, the princeton review methods for both verbal and writing sample were useless. even though it may take longer, i read through the entire passage: that's the only way I could get an idea of the point of the passage and its organization.
(((digression*i took princeton review class the first time around, and i think it helped me in terms of discipline. but, i must agree with other posters who have said that it's best to learn the stuff well while in class. take advanced classes, too, becuase they force you really to know your basics.)))

i used the mcat45 book for verbal, and it had some good tips. for the sciences i used the gold standard book (which, in all honesty, kind of sucks), textbooks, and old princeton review material.

any AAMCs i could find, kaplan, berkeley review, princeton review.

sociology/anthropology at colgate

don't freak out on test day. that's really important. do some visualizations or something, but don't let the nervousness get to you.
as has been said by almost everybody----practice a lot. i did a bunch of passages for each section each day. and reallly think about what sorts of things you're weak on. a lot of this test is luck, i think. you could get a test on which you know almost every concept, or you could get one where every other passage tests the stuff you've never quite been able to grasp. so really know where you're weak so you can patch the holes in your knowledge and skills.

from june on. i had no regular schedule.

Good luck next time around, everyone.

1) Your individual scores and composite score [/B]

30M PS: 10 VR:08 WS: M BS: 12

Mainly used EK

Verbal Reasoning
I can't give you any hints on doing well in this section.

Physical Sciences
Go to your weakest physic and gen chemistry concepts and do any available questions on it.

Biological Sciences
I didn't even review for this section, honest!!! I took a cell biology class before the MCAT.

All EK

All of the EK and EK1001 and AAMC

Biology

5.x Where did you go to school?

Louisiana State University

Take this seriously. Do all practice exams. Have some confidence in yourself and don't be self-defeated if your score on the practice exams aren't so hot. It's a mental game relax and you will do fine. GOOD LUCK

1.5 months

V:12, PS:9, BS:11, WS: R Total: 32R

Verbal: I have always felt comfortable with english and lit., so I took one verbal practice test to make sure I could get through it in time. I could, so I moved on to science.

PS: As my score indicates, I didn't tackle this one too well. I HATE math and physics, so I just slugged my way through my Kap. Comp. Rev. and tried to grasp the basic concepts. I REALLY should have tried practice problems. Oops.

BS: I really went over and learned everything the Bios. section in Kaplan's Comp. Rev. had to say. I love bio, so this was interesting and easy, albeit time consuming. Flash cards worked wonders for me, although the pile looked rather intimidating!

WS: Nothing. One of my classes involved three in-class essays for a grade, so this prepared me very well for writing quickly under pressure. I also read Kaplan's advice on how to answer the MCAT questions. No sweat. Compared to everything else, this section is easy-breezey and a nice break and warm-up after lunch!

3) What materials you used for each section

V: Kaplan Comp. Rev.
PS: " " "
BS:Kaplan Comp. Rev., and I got reallllll friendly with my Orgo text. Read that sucker front to back.

One of the verbal sections in the back of my Kaplan book. I didn't want to burn myself out from taking too many practice tests. But that's just my personality; some people might need to do this.

English and Anthropology

Whatever you do, DON'T FREAK OUT. As long as you stay calm your chances of success are likely to skyrocket.

Prioritize if you are falling behind. Learn what you think you have the best chance of mastering, and just try to grasp the basics of things you don't.

It is also helpful to give yourself "break days" from studying in order to avoid burn-out and stay fresh and motivated.

Learn how to pace yourself, especially in the PS section. I ran out of time and had to straight C about 10 questions. Ooops.

THINK POSITIVE!!!!!!

I started in mid-March (don't ask, I was just too darn busy before then!) and studied for about 1-5 hours every day, depending on my mood and class schedule. Studying time increased as I got closer and closer to my test date. If I could go back and start earlier, I would have. But it just wasn't possible.

By the way, great thread. I wish I had been an SDN member around this time last year!!

mid 30's

Verbal: difficult for me. i used the princeton review and practice materials from both ek's 1001 verbal and aamc exams.

PS: fair. princeton review and aamc exams.

BS: fair. princeton review and aamc exams.

WS: fair. i didn't really do a whole lot. but it doesn't hurt if you pick a few questions and think through how you would answer each question. that will probably get yourself used to the writing structure and style.

V: tpr and ek's 1001 verbal practice
PS: tpr
BS: tpr

tpr, tpr a-d, aamc 1-6r

chemE

practice, practice and more practice. you will only get better if you put some efforts to your study.

don't kill yourself over this exam, though. once you are in school, you have a lot more exams to take. be patient with your progress.

2 hrs/day for a month
3 hrs/day for two months
started taking full-length exams once a week during the last two months.

hope this helps and good luck!!

34P Verbal=12
Phys=10
Bio=12

Verbal: Took princeton review class, did all the princeton review practice passages, reread passages that I did poorly on and determined common traps I tend to fall into. Did Princeton Review and AAMC practice tests.

PS: Same as above. In addition had relatives stong in math and physics write practice problems, made notecards with all equations etc and memorized them.

BS: Same as above, also had a biochem degree which was useful with o-chem and molecular bio, made notecards for o-chem rxns and amino acids.

WS: Wrote a few practice essays. Have always been a pretty strong writer.

see above

tpr, tpr a-d, aamc 1-6r

Biochem

Do lots of practice questions. Do every question you can get you hands on. Do at least 5 practice exams in an environment as close as possible to exam day treat each of these like the real MCAT. Figure out what makes you do better and worse (I discovered that I do 2-3 points better just by getting 10 or more hours of sleep the night before the exam).

4 hours a day for 2.5 months (including class time)
also started taking full-length exams once a week during the last two months.

Zoology major. Got a 31 with no prep in '94.

Definitely don't recommend that route, I think organized test prep (I prefer TPR) is the best. I'll let you know what kind of improvement I saw in a week or three ;)

37S
VR = 13
PS = 12
BS = 12

Overall: I used the big Kaplan book (don't remember what it's called), but I actually didn't do that much "studying"...I spent most of my time doing practice exams and practice problems

Verbal: Nothing, except practice exams. I skimmed through the strategies in the Kaplan book, but I didn't really use any of them.

PS: I skimmed through the Kaplan review material and marked the sections that I either didn't know or I was a little rusty on. I then went through and concentrated on those sections (except for a few that I felt were a little obscure...but, go figure, they ended up on the actual MCAT).

BS: Same as PS. I had saved some study sheets and flash cards from orgo, so I studied the ones that I was rusty on.

WS: Basically the only thing I did to prepare for the Writing section is to read over the format of the prompts; other than that I didn't do jack for this section. Even when doing the practice tests I think I only did the Writing section once.

The Kaplan review book, AAMC online MCATs, and any other tests or problems I could get a hold of.

See above.

Neuroscience

Spend your time on practice tests. You can never cram everything into your brain in the months prior to the MCAT, and you should know most of the concepts from your college courses, so just make sure you have a firm grasp and are comfortable with the material...you don't have to know every little fact or detail. Instead, concentrate on becomming comfortable with the MCAT format. The more you practice and the more confident you become, the less anxious you'll be come test day...and trust me, not being nervous makes it much easier to perform well on the test. In closing, just relax!

Also, when you do practice tests, don't forget to review your answers, figure out why you missed the ones you did, and figure out how you can prevent from missing the question in the future. You should probably spend just as long on reviewing your answers as it took you to do the practice exam.

Random tip: bring a change of long clothes to the testing center...it was freezing in the room where I took the MCAT.

I studied just for a couple hours a day for about a week...this was about 2 and a half months prior to the test date...I then spent the next 1.5 months or so doing 1-2 practice tests a week and reviewing the answers. For the 2 weeks prior to the test day, I did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING...just tried to relax and have fun (i.e. not think about the MCAT).

Status
Not open for further replies.