30+ MCAT study habits???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

confewshz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know this question has been asked a zillion times, but I like to get fresh perspectives. For those who got 30+ MCAT scores(SouthernGirl, beanbean, JScrusader, Samoa, nero, and anyone else who has a 30+ MCAT score), can you post the following information please? It would be greatly appreciated.

1) Your individual scores and composite score

2) The study method used for each section

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)

4) Which practice tests did you use?

5) What was your undergraduate major?

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?

Thanks guys and congrats to everyone who recently took the MCAT :clap: ,

confewshz

Members don't see this ad.

lets see....

39R
BS: 13
PS: 14
VR: 12
WS: R

Went to TPR classes, did all the official TPR practice tests, did a few practice tests on my own in the library...REVIEWED practice test questions i missed

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
Princeton Review Materials

TPR diags...diag 1-3 plus 5R, 6R

molecular and integrative physiology major
chem minor
classic civ minor

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
do some practice in the room that you're going to take the test in...psych people say that's supposed to help. Study hard up to the last week...then study leisurly in the week leading up to the test...don't stress yourself out too much before the test. biggest help is the practice tests, but don't just take the practice test look at your score and forget about them REVIEW THE PROBLEMS YOU GOT WRONG!!! these are the areas that need work!

Went to (almost) all the TPR classes and all practice tests...did a practice test on my own once in a while (maybe 4 total?) then really only a couple hours a week outside of class

Hope this helps...good luck all!!
:luck:

Alright --

1. Your individual scores and composite score:
P14 V14 B14
42P

2. The study method used for each section:
I took a Kaplan Review course, but did not go to all the classes. Unless you're really worried about the money-back guarantee, I would spend the time you would be at class learning from the books they give you (which, by the way, are really great). For both the Biology and Physical Sciences Sections I paid really close attention to the flashcards and I took notes from the review books on the flashcards. My biggest problem with the MCAT is actually knowing the material and formulas, so I was sure to know them forwards and backwards. Once I have the facts, it's not hard for me to apply them to questions. For the Verbal Section, I did A LOT of practice passages because the hardest part is the timing (many practice tests I did not finish on time).

3. What materials did you use for each section?
Mostly the Kaplan Physical and Biological Science review books and the flashcards.

4. What was your undergraduate major?
Genetics and Molecular Biology

5. Any tips you have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Practice tests are awesome. They allow you to gauge how you will do under a time pressure and focus on your weaknesses. For those of you worried there is less than a month left -- do not fret. I didn't start kicking it into serious practice-test-taking mode until maybe 2-3 weeks before the actual test.

6. How long did you study for the MCAT?
I began studying for the April MCAT mid-January. I did mostly facts and formulas review and practice problems until the end of March. Then starting end-of-March, I really began taking those practice tests.

Good Luck All!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
bump

can the browniegrl and Q??mica crowd help out future takers like myself also! great to hear everyone's perspective...thanks ahead of time

PS:14
VR:14
WS:S
BS:15
Total:43S

took some practice tests, reviewed physics. It has been a while since I took physics as a freshman

Kaplan

Kaplan

natural sciences and Spanish

take as many practice tests as you can

I don't know how to answer this one. I took the MCAT one time before as a junior in college and got a 34. I started teaching for Kaplan. That was the main way I studied, by going through the class with my students.

confewshz[/QUOTE]

If you are taking the test next year, good luck!

1. August 2004 Score: 12 PS 15 VR 13 BS = 40T

2. For each section, I concentrated on re-learning material I had forgotten and then practice-testing/topical-testing the hell out of it.

3. I took the Kaplan classroom course, so I used their review notes and class lectures as well as practice materials.

4. I took every single practice test Kaplan offered with the exception of AAMC 1-4 (too easy) and Kaplan Full-Lengths 10 & 11 (didn't realize we had them). So that means I took AAMC 5-7 and Kaplan 1-9 full-lengths. Also took Kaplan diagnostic.

5. My undergrad major is BS in Microbiology at UT-Austin.

6. If you can, I recommend taking the test the August after your SOPHOMORE year (aka early). If you do well, it saves you from having to study for the MCAT while you're taking a full load at school. If you don't get the score you want, you can at least make a more informed decision about your April test. Also, take as many full-length tests as you can get your hands on once you have gotten your content solid. Try to take them in a simulated test-day situation if you have the time. I think this is what raised my score 10 points from my diagnostic. Basically, during my studying months, I threw myself wholeheartedly into the MCAT; it consumed my entire life, but it was worth it in the end.

7. I told myself that I wasn't going to start studying until my prep class had started. So, I started studying on June 6th and studied with no breaks until August 12th. I did not study the day before the test. I also did not study during the 1-hour lunch break of the MCAT because by that point I was already past the point of stressing out.

Good luck if you haven't taken it, you'll do great!

QofQuimica said:
I don't know how to answer this one. I took the MCAT one time before as a junior in college and got a 34. I started teaching for Kaplan. That was the main way I studied, by going through the class with my students.

I work for Kaplan too! Right now I teach SAT since my MCAT scores weren't in yet, but I'll start cross-training for MCAT/PCAT/DAT/OAT now . . . it's kind of tempting to take it again after teaching for the April test, but I feel like that's just asking for a massive screw-up.

Plus if I never took another full-length MCAT again, I would die happy. :p

browniegirl86 said:
I work for Kaplan too! Right now I teach SAT since my MCAT scores weren't in yet, but I'll start cross-training for MCAT/PCAT/DAT/OAT now . . . it's kind of tempting to take it again after teaching for the April test, but I feel like that's just asking for a massive screw-up.

Plus if I never took another full-length MCAT again, I would die happy. :p

Cool. I started out doing SAT and MCAT. I have also taught GRE, GMAT, OAT, DAT and I could teach PCAT but our center doesn't offer classes. Don't take the test again. Your score is awesome and the statistical difference is negligible at your level.

as for me:

14 PS, 14 BS, 9 VR (didn't finish 2 passages in VR....was pretty sick the week/day of the exam so i can't complain about the score)

My best advice is to be curious and critial of anything you read. By curious, I mean that when you read "x results in y" in your kaplan, PR, or EK books, don't just passively absorb that information. Ask yourself why this is true, and whether there are circumstances when this is not true. Try to connect the new information to previous knowledge. By "critical," I mean being open to the possibility that the information is wrong. When you read a table of a data, think about what each data point is telling you. What are the controls and whether the controls rule out other hypotheses. Sit in a graduate student journal club type thing if you have time....it will come in especially handy for the BS portion of the MCAT.

Finally, practice, practice, practice and teach, listen, learn. I used mostly the EK books to self-study and used the 1001 Qs in chem and physics questions. I didn't use the bio book and found it to be factually inaccurate (sometimes just outright wrong). As some previous posters said, teaching is also helpful. Explaining concepts to my study partner and listening to her explanation helped cement my understanding of some concepts.

Good luck :)

I took the August 2004 MCAT

1) P: 11, V: 10, B: 11 T: 32P

3) Princeton review books; notes from school classes were actually pretty dang useful

4) Princeton's & past mcats; although Princeton's practive verbal sections were extremely hard, I think that it really helped me for the actual mcat verbal section.

5) bio

6) Read alot! try improving reading speed! read stuff you enjoy! Also, don't study hours and hours in a row. You need slight breaks in btwn everything to help you consolidate what you just learned. Watching TV for a little bit in btwn helped me alot.

7) June 20th - Auguest 14th :D

PS 12, VR 13, BS 13, 38L

Read each EK book 2-3 times and took my own notes while reading, then reviewed my notes. Flash cards for Orgo from EK book

EK 5th Edition without audio osmosis or the 1001 questions books. I also bought Cliff's Notes on Chemistry and Physics for a quick review. These are helpful if you have been away from those classes for awhile.

One that came with EK study package, Two kaplan booklet tests, and as many free online ones as I could find. Kaplan, AAMC, and mcat-prep.com has 3 free ones, but they suck.

Kinesiology with Bio and Chem minors

Take Biochemistry and Biomechanics. They apply concepts like O-chem and Physics to humans, just like some of the MCAT questions. Also take a lot of full time simulated tests with breaks and everything

1 & 1/2 months here and there, and then picked it up bigtime the last few weeks. took a practice exam every week the last few weeks, and two the last week.

1) Your individual scores and composite scortotal: 32T

Total: 32T
PS: 11
VR: 11
BS: 10
WS: T

I also took the test in August 2003 and scored a 26S (9, 9, and 8)

I took Princeton Review prior to the 2003 test, and I know this isn't a popular position, but I don't recommend study courses. I'm not great at studying (can't do it for 8 hours staight every day like many can), and I found that the class was big time-sucker for me.

VR- nothing but practice tests & review of practice tests prior to 2004 test

For PS and BS, I used the TPR books but didn't attend any classes. I tried to get through the majority of the material and used the book excercies and questions for almost every major topic.

For WS, absolutey nothing. Thought about it for maybe 15 mintues one day before 2004 test.

I took about 3-4 new TPR diagnostics, and took 3 new AAMC tests.

History and journalism; did a post-bacc program.

Aside from having taken the test once already, the major differences between the two test administrations for me was 1. No class to waste a lot of my time and 2. I was no longer completely terrified of the test. The latter was a big deal in my case. I was totally freaking out before the 2003 MCAT. I kinda didn't give myself a chance to do well, I think.

For 2003, I took the TPR class which gives just a little under 3 months, if I'm remembering correctly. BUt, I have a young child and didn't have time to do much stuff on my own.

For 2004, I still have the small child and now work full-time. I studied about a month and a half, doing as much as I could material-wise and taking practice tests almost every weekend. I tried to study an hour to 2 hours per day during the week, which didn't happen. I studied a total of about 5-8 hours on the weekend, and I took a week and a half off before the test to study. I don't think, for me at least, that study-time translates into a better score. I had to relax and try to concentrate on my own.

Good luck to everyone!!

1) Your individual scores and composite scortotal: 30Q (woo hoo, never thought i'd get to post in this thread)

Total: 30Q
PS: 10
VR: 9
BS: 11
WS: Q

First time taking the test, currently in junior year of ugrad

Took Princeton Review course and read EK series on the side

verbal was the bane of my existance, so i did every test under the sun, all the TPR, all the AAMC, bougth teh EK 101, got a hold of maybe 5 Kaplan tests from friends. think i ended up taking about 20+ verbal exams before it was all over. All said and done, score went from a 4 to a 9. (i'll take it)

PS/BS: Examkrackers helped me the most, but i did all the chemistry and biology in the science workbook from TPR

TPR Diags, AAMC, EK 101 verbals, few kaplan tests

Bioengineering and Religious Studies

Don't get discouraged by low scores in the beginning, middle or end of your studying. If you have a method taht you think works adn you feel confident with, stick to it. I've seen a lot of people who constantly change their methods because they think that just because it didn't work on one practice test, it's a flawed method. Trick to the mcat is to try to be confident with it, know that you're doing your best and not have a nervous breakdown. On test day, it's not going to be the test that will beat you, it'll be you beating yourself

Ha! yea, this summer was a (insert array of explitives here). Worked 40 hours a week in the operating room (6am-2:30pm) where i got to actually see waht it was i was studying. Totally different picture to see the digestive system live and have a surgeon explain to you teh stuff u learned the day before in mcat class. After work, TPR from 3-5:30, then library from 6-9 or 6-10. I put in the time, and in the end, i got the score i was shooting for. Truth be told, this exam put my faith back in academia, where if you study hard, set reasonable goals and work towards them, you can achieve them

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Your individual scores and composite score:

For August 2004:

PS: 11
VR: 13
WS: S
BS: 11
Composite: 35S

For PS, I studied the review notes from Kaplan and did every topical test, review test, and section test. I think I even did some three or four times, just so I could get everything down. I made sheets to help myself memorize the different formulas. Physics was my weakness, so I made it a point to practice physics questions until I could do them in my sleep. Nothing helped me more than practicing the questions over and over again. Once I had the basic knowledge, it was just a matter of learning how to apply it.

VR, I never really studied it. I was always a good and fast reader so the only time I really looked at VR were during the full length tests. I think it helped that I was a psychology major and I was used to reading lengthy academically inclined texts quickly. I also tend to read the NY Times a lot.

WS: Again, I never really practiced this section except during practice full length tests since my major forced me to write tons of papers. I was used to writing and analyzing statements in all of my classes.

BS: I practically memorized the review notes and made flashcards for orgo. Orgo was another weak point and I didn't take orgo lab before I took the MCAT, so some questions just went over my head. I didn't focus as much on the biology section since I had taken biochemistry and biology. For orgo I would take every practice test I could find at least twice, if not three times. Then I would make notes on little things I didn't know about reactions, especially when they were lab related so that I could memorize those answers.

I took the Kaplan course twice and also used AAMC material.

I did all the Kaplan ones and the AAMC ones.

Human Development/Psychology

Devote as much time as you can to study! I literally lived at Kaplan, spending up to 6 days a week. The first time I took the class, I didn't devote as much time to the course. I also had to deal with the NE Blackout which forced me to walk home from Manhattan into Brooklyn at that time. Those factors really psyched me out for the first test. The second time around I really focused on my weak sections and devoted all my time to Physics and Orgo. If anything, take at least an hour or so a day to look over what you're studying. Every little bit counts, even though it may not seem as if it will. Also, relax before the test. I know it's hard but eventually you'll hit a point where you just kinda "get" everything and passages begin to flow out in an expected pattern.

Like I said before, I spent about 7 weeks studying for the second time around. In the beginning I studied only about 4-5 days a week from anywhere between 4-8 hours. Towards the end I was studying 6-7 days a week for anywhere between 6-10 hours.

36R
Signed up for Kaplan. Went to 2 classes and 3 Practice tests.

Kaplan

Kaplan

BioEngineering

Know the basics very very well. Start reading critically... it's not something you can learn to do in one summer and is needed on every section of the MCAT.

2 Weeks

hi

1) Your inividual scores and composite score
PS: 10 VR: 11 BS: 11 Total: 32P

2) study method:
my study partner and i took complete, FULL LENGTH, timed exams almost every weekend for about 2 to 3 months. between kaplan, aamc, etc., there are lots of practice exams out there.

3) materials:
i used the kaplan comprehensive book and xeroxed my partner's EK texts -- i also liked the EK 1001 questions books (we shared them and made lots of xerox copies). the bio book is good in design, but there are a bunch of typos in it, which makes it sometimes frustrating. aside from that, i used my notes and texts from college (don't throw them out!).

4) practice tests:
Kaplan comprehensive, AAMC 3R, 4R, 5R, 6R, 7 (just get the complete membership or split it with someone, it's worth it for the tests explanations, etc), Kaplan exam book (2 tests), EK practice exam

5) undergraduate major:
i was a double major in biology and dance (performance concentration) with a minor in chemistry

6) other tips:
i highly recommend finding a study partner who you get along with, who you trust, who you will be comfortable spending a LOT of time with. explaining concepts and listening to his explanation was what helped me the most; i got very lucky.

think critically -- ask yourself a lot of questions. learning how the test works helps you predict what types of questions they're going to ask you. also, keep your cool, especially during verbal. don't freak out or you will waste time and get distracted. you have to just force yourself to be interested in whatever it is that they're talking about.

UNITS UNITS UNITS. that was a huge problem for me at the beginning -- keep your units straight and that will often enable you to answer a question without having to memorize anything.

finally, STUDY HARD, but don't forget to have some fun too. you don't give up your entire life to study for the mcat (save that for med school!). also, don't carry around that heavy kaplan book all the time or you will wind up with back problems. :)

4 long and arduous months

GOOD LUCK!
:cool:

VR: 8
BS: 13
PS: 14
composite: 35R

The princeton review was the best prep course you can get!!!! namely the books are EXCELLENT.

I didn't use any of my text books or old notes. all i relearned were from princeton review material. I dont work for them but i seriously recommend them over kaplan, from the things i hear. Sciences rocked from TPR workbook. Verbal stuff were pretty accurate from TPR and the answers from TPR workbook is the best, they tell u why an answer is wrong and help you develop a way to spot the wrong answers that seem right. My writing sample score was a total shock as i am not a native speaker. The TPR format for writing(thesis, TE, AT, AE, S(for those that took tpr, wont spoil the fun)) really boosted my score on that. I hated reading before march 2004. After i read Ender's game(teen book but what the hell) i loved it. i couldnt' get pass how good reading can be so i was really dedicated into really understanding passages. Passages are the cream of the crop, they pick the best stories and put it into a ~700 word summary, how can u get better than that?

TPR diags + official R series (5,6,7R)

Molecular Cell bio @ berkeley

In school classes, pay special attention when ur bio teacher mentions anything relating to medicine, it might come up later again on the test. MCAT is really testing ur ability to comprehend matters and be able not to regurgitate but to synthesize new info. If i were to travel back in time and have to tell one important thing ot myslef, it would be this: "self, you know those 6 fat princeton review books sitting on top of ur closet from summer 2003, take them out, do 10 passages a day til u run out. then go buy more books and do 10 til the week before mcat starts."
I know 2 MD's that's doing their fellowship right now that taught these pre courses and both of them stressed this to me before my test: the best way to remember what you've learned is apply what you've learned. and the workbooks(TPR) are the best way to test your knowledge.

I love those workbooks, most science passages were fun. 70% of verbal passages were interesting but look at my VR score, can't take my word on verbal...

started Summer 2003. didn't do jack cause i was working full time in a research lab. waited til May2004 to take TPR and study vigorously(4 hours a day + 2.5 hour class). But i really found myself being tested when i lurked around SDN during the last week of mcats, trying to see what others had problems with and see if i can do those problems. This is a habit i have, i evaluate myself by seeing other people's weaknesses. (i'm not a bad person)

1) Your inividual scores and composite score
PS: 12 VR: 9 BS: 12 Total: 33q

2) study method:
took the princeton review, andi read and studied the entire princeton review biology section 3 times. did as many practice questions i could, time permitting. by the end i had done probably about 85% of the course's hw, which is quite a hefty amount.

3) materials:princeton review, asked for the extra practice material from tpr, which they give out for free.

4) practice tests: all the princeton review practice tests, some verbal from the kaplan book, and the flowers book. i recommend the flowers book, especially for verbal, because they were the most challenging. by the end, i'd taken about 10 complete verbal sections.
5) undergraduate major:
bioengineering-premed
6) other tips:
i think the verbal section is just about the hardest section to study for... if i could do it again i'd get a bunch of magazines like the economist or atlantic or the wall street journal and read a lot :p.
the timespan of the princeton review course.

soonerpillow said:
I didn't realize it was such a big deal that I'm retaking it. I was being sort of sarcastic about liking to study for it. My premed advisor advised me to retake it, so I am. Sorry if I sounded arrogant or ungrateful. I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad.

No worries... but everyone knows that premed advisors are probably the most worthless people in the world. Why should I take advice from someone who:
a) clearly didn't major in anything related to medicine ever
b) didn't go/get into med school
c) never took the MCAT

after hearing what other kids at my school had to say about what the premed advisors told them to do, I just shook my head and did my own thing.

confewshz said:
Hello everyone,

I know this question has been asked a zillion times, but I like to get fresh perspectives. For those who got 30+ MCAT scores(SouthernGirl, beanbean, JScrusader, Samoa, nero, and anyone else who has a 30+ MCAT score), can you post the following information please? It would be greatly appreciated.

11P, 11V, 12B, L.
Did a few questions. Skimmed science overview.
Barrons's.
Barron's book.
Computer engineering.
Answer all independent science question 1st.
Maybe an hour or two.

confewshz
See quote.

PS 14, VR 13, WS O, BS 13 tot 40 O

took alot of practice tests. made about 2000 index cards and new them all cold by about july 20th after that just practice Q's and full lengths

EK: audio osmosis, 101 passages in VR
kaplan: took the class

3 kaplan fl's
5 aamc fl's these were more like the real deal

Math

work your f%#$in a$$ off. No other single day will be this influential on your ability to get into med school. That said once you are in the test you must be calm. The questions are not hard, but they can be confusing. They are just trying to rattle you. DONT LET THE TEST SCARE YOU. PLAN ON KILLING IT

2.5 months about 5-6 hrs a day 6 days a week. Think of it like a job. if you could intern for 30 hrs a week for 3 months and knew that at the end you would be in the top 90% of mcat scorers woulden't you do it?

good luck all :luck:

Individual Scores VR: 10, PS:10, Bio: 13 Writing Q

This was a retake for me. The first time I took a review course through my school that was pretty much a waste of time. I was playing soccer, volunteering, taking a couple too many credits and working- needless to say I didn't focus on the mcat as a i should have. The second time i took kaplan. I pretty much just kept up with the program- took extra practice tests- and looked up stuff in my science books when I didn't completely grasp a topic.

good luck to all! ;)

sfbear said:
36S - 11VR, 12PS, 13BS

One note for those who haven't been in school for a while: ignore all those saying don't start too early. If you're working full-time, I'd say slow and steady is the way to go. I started in November because I knew that I'd have only a little time every day.

Bottom line: learn the material early, start practice tests 4-6 months out, and do more than one type of practice test. Don't forget about verbal (if I hadn't, my score would've been a bit higher, but I'm okay with it as is). The MCAT is much more concepts than computation, so memorizing formulas will only get you so far.

Good luck!

SFBear,

This is great advice for me! I have been out of school almost 10yrs and I am currently working full-time and in a master's degree program (MHA degree). I plan to take the April 2005 MCAT and figured that next month would be a good time to start studying. I figure I'd give myself about 4-6 months of slow and steady study/practice and I should be fine when test time comes next April! Again, your advise was right on!

Blessed1 :)

1. P: 13 V: 7 B: 13 W: O 33O
2. I read the review books that were given to me in my Princeton Review Class
3. Princeton Review
4. Three princeton review tests and three real mcats
5. Chemistry
6. Studied for about 5 hours everyday for about two months. I know it's hard, but try not to think about it too much, especially before going to sleep, or you'll never fall asleep
7. Two Months

confewshz said:
Hello everyone,

P: 13 V: 7 B: 13 W: O 33O
I read the review books that were given to me in my Princeton Review Class
Princeton Review
Three princeton review tests and three real mcats
Chemistry
I studied for about 5 hours everyday for about two months. I know it's hard, but try not to think about it too much, especially before going to sleep, or you'll never fall asleep
Two months

confewshz

1) Your individual scores and composite score:

PS 13 VR 11 BS 11 WS Q; 35Q

do well in each class (no, seriously), and take topical tests as needed

Kaplan the whole way.

Just the five full-lengths that they administer.

Biology.

Know the stuff the first time around, and the second time will be much easier.

Um, not including the Kaplan class time or full-lengths, I'd say four to five hours a week. Not much, really.

Sorry I didn't read the thread b/c i really don't have the time. I will just give you a composite of my study methods.

As far as verbal you are way ahead of the game if you have been an avid reader early on. If not start reading not only classical novels but also the newspaper, or several of them and journals. Do practice tests and any practice samplings you can get from the various study guides. if you study well in advance, do them all, everything you can possibly get your hands on.

For physical sciences and biological sciences, make sure you have taken the prerequiste courses that are covered on the test. Some tests will have more in one area than another so you never know which sections you really have to know. With saying that, you need to review everything. If you have good notes from your undergrad courses use them for the various areas. Do practice problems as supplied by some of the practice books out there. Spend more time on courses you took awhile ago or never did well in.

If you do not have the discipline to study on your own, take a course. it forces you into doing necessary prep work and allows you to take practice tests on a regimented schedule. I didn't for various reasons but it is really necessary for those who would not force themself to study on their own. Put the time and effort into it once, it will make a difference. You may have to give up a few months of your life, but remember you don't want to have to take this again.

Practice, practice and practice. Nothing helps more than feeling comfortable with what you will see on the test. Work out your own best strategy on these practice exams. Some people find it works best to skip difficult sections; others answer everything as they go along. Guage your time appropriately or you will find yourself not finishing multiple sections. This must be ironed out on the practices before you go into the real thing.

Everytime you do a test, make sur eyou go over the questions and the choices. Even if you got it right, you may have guessed correctly, so take the time to see why it is the right answer so you'll remember it the next time a similar question comes up on the test.

I only started studying over the summer and i was going to summer school , among other things, at the same time. Therefore i felt like i was cramming. This perhaps is not the best method. If you can give yourself 4-6 months to really review the material, that is probably optimal. However re-review anything again as MCAT date approaches.

Wind down the last week before the MCAT. Review a little every night but take it easy the night before the exam. Get plenty of sleep so you are alert for the test. Make sure your sleep pattern is worked out before test day because you do not want your body adjusting to something you are not accustomed to.

Most of all, pray and trust in God. Good luck.

Psycho Doctor said:
Wind down the last week before the MCAT. Review a little every night but take it easy the night before the exam. Get plenty of sleep so you are alert for the test. Make sure your sleep pattern is worked out before test day because you do not want your body adjusting to something you are not accustomed to.

this is all important stuff... while the studying is basically what's going to determine your success, what you do, what you eat, how much you sleep, the day before and the day of the exam often contribute to your state of mind during the test. two things got me through: NUTS and DRIED FRUIT. coffee helped too!

P13,V14,T,B13: 40T

For Verbal, I went through all the Princeton Review and Kaplan sample passages. ALL OF THEM. After that, I purchased tests 2R through 7R from Ebay, and practiced those passages. I did not time rigorously until maybe the last three weeks of study. I did not do any of the annotation stuff that they tell you to do. Doesn't work for me but maybe it does for other people.

For Physical, I used Princeton Review and Kaplan prep books. I did all of the Princeton Review practice passages. Then I went online to this website called Caduceus (you can search it as Caduceus + MCAT in Google) and searched any other formulas/concepts I didn't cover in the prep books. I went to the lists of topics posted by AAMC, and if there were any other gaps left, I would look them up online. Finally, two days before the test I made up a formula sheet of all of the formulas and rules and memorized it.

For Biological, I went through the Princeton Review prep book. I did all of the given passages. If there were any topics posted by AAMC that I couldn't cover this way, I checked them up online (e.g. iodoform reaction or pinacol rearrangement?!?) or used my orgo textbook.

For Writing, I just used the guidelines they give in TPR prep books.

Kaplan books for a brush up on topics (just skimmed a bit but no passages), intensive use of TPR prep books, occasional use of my organic textbook, the online Caduceus website as well as plain google searches, and VERY IMPORTANT, AAMC practice tests: 3R, 4R, 5R, 6R, and 7R; these are a MUST, especially for Verbal practice.

Mentioned above. I DID NOT use the Princeton Review or Kaplan practice tests, only real AAMC exams.

Physics and Biochemistry

I first took the test in April 2003 and didn't do as well as I wanted. Then I took it again this August and better. My recommendation is to take it in the summer if you can, drop everything else (e.g. don't do a job) and spend 6 weeks of intensive study, at home, in the library, in the car. In my last two weeks before the test, I was studying 8 hours or more a day (maybe even 10 hours once or twice). Confidence is crucial. Look at the AAMC topics lists and make sure you have covered ALL of them, so that you will have the confidence that you have all of your bases covered, confidence that you will need for the exam.

Finally, don't study the day before the test. Relax. I took the day off and went sightseeing. And get a good nights rest, at least 7 hours. And bring lots of water, several watches if necessary, and some chocolate to the test.

As a retaker, 6 weeks before the August test. For the previous MCAT I just took the Princeton Review course.

I'll bite.

V:12
P:12
B:13

37Q total

2) The study method used for each section/ 3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)

I basically did all of my studying in my apartment (i.e. no course, no library)

PS: Just the Kaplan big book
BS: Kaplan Big Book, Orgo text
V: Just took as many verbal sections as I could

I also used the Kaplan 45 book, which was decent practice.

The Kaplan diagnostic that came with the big book (31) , the Kaplan test in the back of the big book (32), Both of the tests in the Kaplan practice test book (28,36), and AAMC tests 4, 5, 6 (35, 32, 36).

My verbal scores were all over the place- I got every score from 9 to 14, and it wasn't because I improved (I got the 14 on my first full test, go figure)- it was just really flukey.

Physical Sciences was where I got the biggest improvement. I went from 8 on my first practice steadily up to 13, 12 on the real thing.

Biological Sciences improved marginally. I started with mostly 11s and I was hitting 13 consistently in the last few practices

Neuroscience. This came in handy because my test this August had a BS section loaded with neuro questions.

Take as many practice tests as possible. More than anything, the MCAT tests how well you take the MCAT, so become as familiar as possible with the format and develop a rhythm.

Also, on test day, I subsisted almost completely off of sugar cookies and
red bull. Interpret that however you will.

I dabbled into it last March for the Augusts test, but I only really started putting time in when June came around. Undergrade had me well prepared, so I just reviewed and took practice tests- I only had to self teach a few topics, which was very helpful. I put in 80 hours total including the 7 practice tests.

Thanks to everyone who is taking time to be inspiring to those of us who are on the "verge" of taking the MCAT. :scared: I'm taking it in Aug & find all of your study hints to be of great value! Many, many thanks & congratulations to everyone!!

"Never passively accept what is in your power to Change"

this is a nice thread but i feel its really geared towards the august mcaters... i see a bunch of posts with people studying 6 days a week for 4-6 hours... there just aren't enough hours in the day for me to do that while taking 16 credits of real class, along with other comitments

wordson1 said:
this is a nice thread but i feel its really geared towards the august mcaters... i see a bunch of posts with people studying 6 days a week for 4-6 hours... there just aren't enough hours in the day for me to do that while taking 16 credits of real class, along with other comitments

Then you need to design your own study schedule.

Remember you've got enough inertia on your GPA that it's not likely to change much at this point. The MCAT might be worth the study time, even if you have to steal it from your classes.

wordson1 said:

I took it last April, got a 10,10,11 which was good enough for me and my non-Harvard ambitions. I started studying early January several hours a week. By about March I was up to an hour or two a night and a few on the weekends. I took a couple of practice tests the two weekends before the test...I didn't bother to take any prep courses.

I guess the bottom line I'm getting at is do what works for you - you should be at least a junior in college by now, so you know what works and what doesnt.

VR - 12
PS - 13
BS - 13
WS - R
Total: 38R

VR - lots of practice questions! In particular, I did a lot of these because I thought they were kind of fun, and I was making anywhere from 10-12 on practice sections.
BS - read the Kaplan BS book and that had all the info I needed to answer the independent questions on the MCAT (which were the only things I had to have memorized)
PS - read the Kaplan PS book and was taking a physics course in summer school at the time. The physics course is really what got me through the physics section, and first year gen chem
WS - I didn't start prepping for this until two weeks before the MCAT, so don't panic too badly if you're suddenly feeling unprepared. I looked through the list of sample questions on the aamc website, and did some "key notes" in my head. I wrote out maybe 3 or 4 sample essays and posted them in a premed forum for feedback

All the AAMC practice tests. I felt doing these helped more than anything else! Although I never scored above 35 on any practice test (and actually, scored 35 only once - on 3R, which a lot of people admit is the easiest one) so it IS possible to jump miraculously on the real thing!

Human bio

Watch your time when writing the test! This was the only thing I did differently, so I can only assume this was responsible for the jump. Everything went wrong that day - I couldn't fall asleep the night before because I was so nervous, so I only got 3 hours, then I got to campus and found out they'd changed the location at the last minute so I had to run around, AND when I got into the test room, I realized I had forgotten to bring a single writing utensil! No pens, no pencils, no erasers, nothing. I had to borrow it off some girl who looked like she would've loved to say no, if not for the fact that she had twenty spread out across her desk. Then I realized I'd forgotten my watch, so unlike while I was writing practices, I had no idea how much time I had left. Consequently, my pace quickened for fear of not finishing all the questions on time, and I found that I actually had twenty minutes leftover to go back and check my answers! I must've caught at least 10 mistakes this way. So have heart - whatever goes wrong on test day, others had worse experiences and come through with great scores! It just shows that you never know, so don't despair until you're holding the report in your hands

3 months, but I procrastinated since I was also doing summer school. I was cramming the last few weeks to finish reading my Kaplan books.

P=12, V=14, B=13, Composite= 39R

I studied for about three hours every day for three months. I signed up for Kaplan, so I used their study materials (books, subject tests, section tests, and full length tests). I also reviewed my primary text books. I was taking introductory physics at the time, so I didn't have to review physics that much. For the verbal section, I also read the New York Times and the Economist regularly (at least two articles a day). It was enjoyable, but I still considered part of my preparation.

I used Kaplan books and tests, as well as the AAMC practice tests.

See above.

My undergraduate major was Biology.

I would recommend consistent long-term studying. The MCAT is like a class with one really big final that happens to be ten hours long. My first practice test with Kaplan was a 24, so I feel that the courses can help you, if you use their materials effectively. I would recommend also taking a few full length tests at least 2-3 weeks ahead of time (time yourself during them). You may be surprised at what you forget during an actual testing situation. Finally, don't get too stressed. The MCAT isn't everything, although it's easy for me to say that because I did well. But I have friends you have done very well in the medical school application process who received scores in the low 30s (31-33).

As I said above, I studied for three months, every day for usually 2-4 hours.

Hello everyone,

12v 13p 10b = 35

read exam krackers, took like 4 practice tests

isnt this redundant, read above

ole aamc ones

chemistry

exam krackers is the best

i dunno, 3-4 days per week for 6 weeks

confewshz

wordson1 said:

Maybe there should be an eighth question: When did you take the test?

Also, I hear that because people get more time to study for the August test, that it's more competitive in terms of what score you get per how well prepared you are. Basically, if you can only study a couple hours per week, you will get more bang for your buck if it's for the April MCAT.

If people specify when they took it, we might see a trend with regard to that.

8 PS/10 VR/12 BS = 30R

Examkrackers review books for everything. I used my gen chem and physics books in addition to the EK review books (alot of good it did me! jk, it was helpful I just had a rough section filled with physics I was awful at, I was getting 9-10s on aamc practive test). I used my Vander's physiology book to relearn the basics of the physiology on the bio section (I had taken 2 physio courses). For verbal I just used the EK 101 book. I took aamc practice tests 4,5,6 and 7.

EK and AAMC.

AAMC 4,5,6,7

Biology

EK is far and away the best. I've always been horrible at the physical sciences. I could have done more practice q's in those subjects for sure but I think it is very easy to polish your strengths instead of working on your weaknesses, this was a trap I fell into as is evident by the disparity in my PS and BS scores.

8 weeks, around 5 hours per day (This was over a summer, mind you). If I were an April MCAT'er I would double the weeks and half the hours per day. What I did was definately ample.

bump!
(hey moderator, can we keep this thread floatin' at the top of the pile :) ?)

Phil Anthropist said:
34,761 views = most popular MCAT forum thread

One of the most helpful threads as well...I second the motion to sticky!!! :D

I'll PM one of the mods and delete this useless post eventually :p

sorry for the late reply...done and done :)

I have recently decided to pursue medicine. I majored in econ and have been working but i feel that it's just not for me. I want to go to med school, but i still need to finish all the pre reqs as well as study for mcat. For those who have been through similar situation, can you please provide me some guidance as to what to do and where to start. HOW LONG DO YOU THINK IT WILL TAKE FOR ME TO FINISH ALL THE CLASSES AND WHEN SHOULD I START STUDYING FOR MCAT? Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

hi I was wondering where did you take your summer class? I've been trying to find a nice general physics/chemistry summer class (because I am really weak in those areas) but have not been able to find one.

did you take it at a college?

Thanks

:scared:

antissa said:
VR - 12
PS - 13
BS - 13
WS - R
Total: 38R

VR - lots of practice questions! In particular, I did a lot of these because I thought they were kind of fun, and I was making anywhere from 10-12 on practice sections.
BS - read the Kaplan BS book and that had all the info I needed to answer the independent questions on the MCAT (which were the only things I had to have memorized)
PS - read the Kaplan PS book and was taking a physics course in summer school at the time. The physics course is really what got me through the physics section, and first year gen chem
WS - I didn't start prepping for this until two weeks before the MCAT, so don't panic too badly if you're suddenly feeling unprepared. I looked through the list of sample questions on the aamc website, and did some "key notes" in my head. I wrote out maybe 3 or 4 sample essays and posted them in a premed forum for feedback

All the AAMC practice tests. I felt doing these helped more than anything else! Although I never scored above 35 on any practice test (and actually, scored 35 only once - on 3R, which a lot of people admit is the easiest one) so it IS possible to jump miraculously on the real thing!

Human bio

Watch your time when writing the test! This was the only thing I did differently, so I can only assume this was responsible for the jump. Everything went wrong that day - I couldn't fall asleep the night before because I was so nervous, so I only got 3 hours, then I got to campus and found out they'd changed the location at the last minute so I had to run around, AND when I got into the test room, I realized I had forgotten to bring a single writing utensil! No pens, no pencils, no erasers, nothing. I had to borrow it off some girl who looked like she would've loved to say no, if not for the fact that she had twenty spread out across her desk. Then I realized I'd forgotten my watch, so unlike while I was writing practices, I had no idea how much time I had left. Consequently, my pace quickened for fear of not finishing all the questions on time, and I found that I actually had twenty minutes leftover to go back and check my answers! I must've caught at least 10 mistakes this way. So have heart - whatever goes wrong on test day, others had worse experiences and come through with great scores! It just shows that you never know, so don't despair until you're holding the report in your hands

3 months, but I procrastinated since I was also doing summer school. I was cramming the last few weeks to finish reading my Kaplan books.

VR - 9
PS - 10
BS - 12
WS - Q
Total: 31Q

VR - I started off with a 3 on my first TPR practice test. When I realized that TPR verbal was hurting rather than helping (it was too hard, made me afraid of that section), I switched to EK 101 Verbal. Those passages had a nice feel. I did alot of practice with those until I comfortably scored 10.
BS - Being a bio major I was already starting out with alot of knowledge. On my first TPR practice test without studying I had a 9. From there I did alot of practice passages in the TPR science workbook.
PS - Alot of practice. When I felt I had learned all the concepts, I had an issue with timing. I decided to give myself less time than I would have on the exam. I did problems for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours without stopping. This was to teach myself endurance. I treated it like I was preparing for a marathon.
WS - I didn't do much of anything with this section. I kept putting it off because I thought the other sections were more important. When I did do practice tests though I put some effort into writing a good essay. You could say I relied on my natural ability to write to pull me out of that one.

3) What materials you used for each section
I took both TPR and Examkrackers classes so I had all their material. I liked TPR better. The TPR Science Workbook was a real blessing, especially for Physical Sciences. Every topic you could think about was in there. I was shaky on Fluids, but there were so many fluid questions. I would do about 2 hours of only fluid questions until I became a pro at it.

I did TPR 4911 (scored 18), TPR 4921 (scored 19), TPR 4931 (scored 26) AAMC 5R (scored 27) AAMC 3R (scored 29), EK 1G (scored 27) EK 3F (scored 31), AAMC 6R (scored 31), Aug 04 MCAT (scored 31) I also did practice test A-D but I didn't take the results too seriously (scored around 25).

Major-Biology
Minor-Journalism

Don't have too many tips to give but....
When I was doing physical science section (not on the real thing, I'm refering to practice tests) I couldn't tell you how many times I went roaming the whole periodic table looking for a particular element. That wasted so much of my time and made me very frustrated. It may seem silly but I say, Have a good sense of where things are on the periodic table. Chances are for some reason or the other you're going to have to go to the periodic table to check something. You'll probably have to go to it alot of times. So just take the time to look around and be familiar with what is where. You'll save some precious time.

Actually a while....For about 3 months before the April 04 exam, I didn't take that one, then I started again about 2 months before the August 04 exam.

antissa said:
..... I had to borrow it off some girl who looked like she would've loved to say no, if not for the fact that she had twenty spread out across her desk. ....

Ha Ha :laugh:

This is what I am thinking about doing. I can take the April MCAT today, but I want to kill it when I take it and not mess around with it. The only thing I am worried about is having to wait until October to turn in my primary app.

We will see in the next couple hours if I am going to take it.
cya

Status
Not open for further replies.