30+ MCAT study habits???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

confewshz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know this question has been asked a zillion times, but I like to get fresh perspectives. For those who got 30+ MCAT scores(SouthernGirl, beanbean, JScrusader, Samoa, nero, and anyone else who has a 30+ MCAT score), can you post the following information please? It would be greatly appreciated.

1) Your individual scores and composite score

2) The study method used for each section

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)

4) Which practice tests did you use?

5) What was your undergraduate major?

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?

Thanks guys and congrats to everyone who recently took the MCAT :clap: ,

confewshz

Members don't see this ad.

pisceswonder1 said:
My technique was to take a TON of practice tests....retook the AAMC ones after I took them the first time and also took some of the Kaplan tests etc. I don't think Kaplan tests, however, are very reflective of the true MCAT.

Ahhh, how things changed in just one year. April '05 was brutal - those Kaplan tests were reaaallly on par with the test's real difficulty.

Anyway, yeah I hope to post here in 2 mo's too... hopefully with good news and great advice!! :luck:

crazy_cavalier said:
Ahhh, how things changed in just one year. April '05 was brutal - those Kaplan tests were reaaallly on par with the test's real difficulty.

Anyway, yeah I hope to post here in 2 mo's too... hopefully with good news and great advice!! :luck:

I'm glad to hear that the Kaplan tests were on par. I avoided the AAMC tests in order to be pleasantly surprised by the difficulty of the actual administration. The real deal was definitely hard, no doubt, but I was never like, "WTF?!?!???"

Let's cross our fingers. :luck:

Hi,
I am going to medical school and am thinking of selling my MCAT Examcrackers Audio Osmosis . GREAT TOOL for studying MCATS on the go! (on your car, train, etc). A MUST HAVE!!

Regular Price: 200 dollars
* I am selling for $130 dollars or best offer/deal!

Please let me know if you are interested by email at [email protected] by simply replying with the post. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
:eek: For Students taking the August 2005 MCAT, I created this group with yahoogroup since the chat option is available. Here we can discuss different topics and questions on the MCAT. I hope to see many of you there :thumbup: as weird as it sounds it will be fun!
We won't bother people who already took it and did well but your input will be very appreciated. :D Cheers!

I was not sure if studentdoctor site had a chat option ;)

Group Email Addresses
Post message: [email protected]
Subscribe: [email protected]
Unsubscribe: [email protected]
List owner: [email protected]

SaharanPrince said:
:eek: For Students taking the August 2005 MCAT, I created this group with yahoogroup since the chat option is available. Here we can discuss different topics and questions on the MCAT. I hope to see many of you there :thumbup: as weird as it sounds it will be fun!
We won't bother people who already took it and did well but your input will be very appreciated. :D Cheers!

I was not sure if studentdoctor site had a chat option ;)

Group Email Addresses
Post message: [email protected]
Subscribe: [email protected]
Unsubscribe: [email protected]
List owner: [email protected]
I like this idea alot, so to subscribe we only need to send an email to [email protected] ?

I am in :D

Hello Bio Chem Dork,I was hoping you give me some advice as to what book what be advisable to use in particular for the BS section. I'm weak in both the Organic and all the genetic and Microbio. Do have any information regarding Berkelely Review's home study material? Thanks and congrats on the the outstanding work. -SB:'D :thumbup:

BioChemDork said:
Prep courses are a waste of money. If you really have to burn that money, save it and apply to more med schools later. (Alternatively, donate to the "BioChemDork needs $$$ 'Cause AMCAS Are Money-Sucking Leeches" Fund.) Anyway, here's what I did:

1) Go to your local med student store or med supply store, buy a cheapie stethescope.
2) Buy Kaplan, Princeton Review, EK, etc. review materials from eBay or SDN. It should cost ~$100 or so. (Hopefully you didn't sell your old textbooks back.)
3) Find out where the doctors/med students hang around in your university. (In my case, the biomed library.) This guarentees that there will be some food and coffee nearby. Also, when you get frustrated, you can just look up and see people at where you want to be in a few years.
4) Two months before the exam, go to the library every weekday after your classes. Put stethescope around your neck - it can act as your albatross, reminding you of the MCAT looming over you. Open review books and old text books, and start studying. Here's the important part: STAY TILL THE LIBRARY CLOSES EVERY NIGHT! (Not applicable if the library is a 24 hour one.)
5) Subscribe to the 4 AAMC e-MCAT practice tests ($80), and get any other "practice full length MCATs" that you can get your hands on. Go to the library every Saturday starting 6 weeks from the MCAT. Take the full test under testing conditions. Take a 2 hour break. Then GO OVER your test.

AAMC e-MCATs + prep materials off of SDN or eBay: $180
Stethescope: $20
UCLA library approved coffee mug: $5
Sitting in the library with your 38S, watching those gunners a**holes from your premed classes whine about how "unfair" the MCAT is 'cause they tried to cram for the test the same way as they do for the prerequisite classes, and ended up with a score 4 standard deviations below yours: PRICELESS

Total cost: $200. Went from a 33Q August 2002 to 38S this April 2003. =) (And yes, I'm a little bitter about how people can walk out of classes with an A without retaining ANYTHING.) Oh, and don't let anybody tell you that you can't do it, and it IS possible to improve 3 points or more on verbal. =)

Total: 39R
PS: 13
BS: 13
VR: 13
WS: R

A) SELF STUDY AND WORK FROM THE EXAMKRACKER BOOKS. I actually signed up for the Examkrackers course (www.examkrackers.com) at Columbia University. The course was taught by Jon Orsay (one of the founders of the company and the main writer of the book). He is a phenomenal teacher, but his lecture style was EXTREMELY similar to his books. In the interest of time, I ended up skipping the classes while still following their schedule and just studying on my own.

B) READ EACH CHAPTER TWICE. The chapters in the Examkracker books are pretty short and manageable. However, each chapter is content filled and emphasizes a conceptual understanding of the material (as opposed to rote memorization of formulas). I would suggest reading each chapter AT LEAST twice. In contrast, I found the Kaplan books to emphasize rote memorization which I'm not a big fan of. In addition, since the MCATs emphasize conceptual understanding and not rote memorization, I thought that the Examkracker books were a bit superior in that regard to the Kaplan books.

C) MAKE A STUDY SHEET AFTER EACH CHAPTER. After each chapter, I would make a little study sheet that contained pertinent formulas and conceptually difficult concepts for that chapter. My study sheets for Biology, however, were pretty long since Biology is less quantitative.

D) DO DRILLS FOR DIFFICULT SCIENCE TOPICS. If there were specific topics (e.g. fluids, or acids and bases) that were still unclear to me after reading a chapter in the Examkracker books, I did drills on those topics with the Examkrackers 1001 Questions books. (Some of my friends tried to go through all of the questions in the 1001 Question books, which I found to be a big waste of time. Why study a topic that you have already mastered any more than you need to?)

E) SKIP THE MINIMCAT BOOKS THAT EXAMKRACKER PROVIDES. Don't bother doing the questions in the MiniMCAT books that Examkracker provides. I personally found that those questions were not representative of the level of difficulty of real MCAT questions (I thought that they were too hard), nor phrased in the way an MCAT question would be asked.

F) USE PRINCETON REVIEW TO STUDY THE TOPIC OF OPTICS. I also thought that the lecture on Optics in the Examkracker Physics book sucked. It emphasized rote memorization and employed confusing mnemonics (quite a contrast from the rest of the books). If I remember correctly, it's the last chapter in the Physics book. Use Princeton Review to study Optics. I found their explanation of that topic to be clear and comprehensible.

G) DONT DO EXAMKRACKER PRACTICE TESTS. DO THE AAMC PRACTICE TESTS INSTEAD. I thought that taking the exams under similar testing conditions as the real MCATs was important. I also heard that the Examkrackers practice tests were pretty hard and not representative of the real MCATs, so I ended up bringing my own AAMC tests to their practice exams and used Examkracker's bubble sheets. (The Examkracker people won't mind at all).

H) GET ONLINE SUBSCRIPTION TO ALL AAMC TESTS. Buy an online subscription to all of the AAMC tests (www.aamc.org) from the AAMC. It's a bit on the pricey side (of about ~$200 if I remember correctly), but it's an investment that will pay off dividends. I would plug in my answers from my bubble sheet and see which ones I got right. You can view the explanations of the questions online which I found EXTREMELY helpful.

I) FINISH ALL MATERIAL A WEEK BEFORE THE REAL MCAT. If you follow the Examkrackers schedule, you should finish everything a week ahead of of the test. During that week, I simply reviewed my study sheets and the concepts of the wrong answers from my AAMC tests.

J) PRIORITIZE THE EK STUDY BOOKS OVER EK'S AUDIO OSMOSIS CD. The Audio Osmosis is a severely diluted version of the Examkracker Books. In comparing the CD to the Study Books, Audio Osmosis does not have the practice problems, lacks a lot of the conceptual examples (that really cement the concepts in your head), and lacks the practice quizzes that are all found in the books. In fact, I stopped listening to Audio Osmosis after a few lectures after realizing these things.

K) If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me and best of luck with the studying.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)

Examkrackers

AAMC: 3R, 4R, 5R, 6R, and 7 (I think that they also have 8 out now)
If you have time, do practice tests from the other companies, but DEFINITELY PRIORITIZE THE AAMC ONES SINCE THEY WILL MOST CLOSELY RESEMBLE THE REAL MCAT.

Psychology and English Literature -- There is hope for us humanities majors.

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?

*** The week before the test, simply review your study sheets along with the explanations of the wrong answers that you got on your AAMC tests. Trying to cram in new material, and finding that it was not sinking in would probably stress me out before the trest.

*** Eat a big pasta dinner on the Thursday night before the test. Jon Orsay mentioned that glycogen storages are at their peak two days after consumption.

*** If you are like me and have difficulty falling asleep before important events like this, get a prescription for a sleeping pill (e.g. Sonata or Ambien) from a psychiatrist and take it the night before. CAUTION: Be sure to test out the sleeping pill well beforehand to see if gives you any side effects like drowsiness the day after. For example, Ambien works well for me, but leaves some of my friends feeling drowsy the day after.

*** Bring a digital watch to the test. If you start the stopwatch and you're worried about nasty looks that the proctors may give you when your watch beeps, hold the watch under your thigh to mute the sound.

*** In the beginning, I had difficulty with timing. To correct this, I started timing 9 minutes to complete a verbal passage and all of its questions. For the physical science and biological science section, I would plan for "ROUGHLY" 19 questions every 25 minutes.

*** Bring Gatorage and PowerBars to the testing site. All testing sites are different, but some testing sites will allow you to hydrate during the test while others won't. Thankfully, mine did (to the AAMC's chagrin). I would snack on half a PowerBar between sections for extra boosts of energy. Also, pack your own lunch to the MCATs. God forbid you're stuck with one Deli around your testing site, and everyone rushes there talking about which question they missed and you'll have to stand in this ginormous line for food and not have enough time to eat it.

10 weeks

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. I'm a friendly guy! =)

Cozmosis said:
I will hopefully be posting here in 2 months :)

In a month's time I'm thinking we'll have our own thread separate from this one titled April 2005 Scores. it happens every semester. There is a new forum created for the scores.

gujuDoc said:
In a month's time I'm thinking we'll have our own thread separate from this one titled April 2005 Scores. it happens every semester. There is a new forum created for the scores.

ya, that's true, but people can post scores in the april 2005 scores thread (which will undoubtedly go up about 2 min after scores are released) and then they can also post their study habits in this thread as well... I think this thread is more useful to future MCATers, but the april 2005 scores thread is more interesting to those of us who just took it :)

I think it would also be cool if people post their practice test scores as well to give some perspective

crazy_cavalier said:
ya, that's true, but people can post scores in the april 2005 scores thread (which will undoubtedly go up about 2 min after scores are released) and then they can also post their study habits in this thread as well... I think this thread is more useful to future MCATers, but the april 2005 scores thread is more interesting to those of us who just took it :)

I think it would also be cool if people post their practice test scores as well to give some perspective

True true. You make a point there!!!! :) ;)

1) Your individual scores and composite score:
13 P, 13 V, 10 BS = 36

2) The study method used for each section:
P - I was a physics major with a chemistry minor, so I still remembered most of the material by the time I started studying. If I needed to review a concept, I would pull out old notes and look them over.

V - Reading over the years is the only way to improve your comprehension ability. A few months is not sufficient. I knew from the summer before my freshman year of college that I wanted to go to medical school, and I also realized the importance of being able to read quickly without losing understanding on the MCAT. I started reading for 4-5 hours a day (around 1 hour on school days) over a period of about three years.

BS - This one was tough for me. I was never a biology person, and had only taken one year of bio. Most of my study time was devoted to memorizing an old biology book I had kept. I also reviewed old organic chemistry notes.

P - Old notes and Kaplan.
V - Old SAT verbal workbook (only the reading passages).
BS - Biology textbook and Kaplan.

One of the tests from the Kaplan book. I also did an official MCAT test that a friend copied for me (can't remember which it was).

B.S. in Physics

None really, but I do have advice for those who are freshman/sophmores:
1. Take challenging classes as undergraduates (even if it means getting one more B). When the time comes to prepare for the MCAT, you will have retained much more of the information than if you just took an easier course for an easier A.
2. Take an extra literature course as an elective. It will help your VR score.
3. If you are a "naturally bad test taker", hone your test taking skills by going through practice exams.

About 8 hours/week for 2 months.

8) School?
Undergraduate - Loyola University Chicago (A HIGHLY underrated school)
Med - Stritch (Loyola University)

confewshz[/QUOTE]

murphomatic said:
PS 14, VR 13, WS O, BS 13 tot 40 O

took alot of practice tests. made about 2000 index cards and new them all cold by about july 20th after that just practice Q's and full lengths

EK: audio osmosis, 101 passages in VR
kaplan: took the class

3 kaplan fl's
5 aamc fl's these were more like the real deal

Math

work your f%#$in a$$ off. No other single day will be this influential on your ability to get into med school. That said once you are in the test you must be calm. The questions are not hard, but they can be confusing. They are just trying to rattle you. DONT LET THE TEST SCARE YOU. PLAN ON KILLING IT

2.5 months about 5-6 hrs a day 6 days a week. Think of it like a job. if you could intern for 30 hrs a week for 3 months and knew that at the end you would be in the top 90% of mcat scorers woulden't you do it?

good luck all :luck:

ur awesome. :thumbup:

Holy mackerel...

for those of you who scored 38+ on your MCATs, and have since gone on through the app process and are now hauling in acceptances by the bushel, have you basically been able to go wherever you want?

I read where one of the posters referred to getting a 39R or something but being turned down flat because he was one-dimensional...I've got all the dimensions but the research (except for a Fulbright, which has to count for something), and am curious if getting a 38 (or even a 36) would set me up nicely for the top tier of schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
LeFauconPelerin said:
Holy mackerel...

for those of you who scored 38+ on your MCATs, and have since gone on through the app process and are now hauling in acceptances by the bushel, have you basically been able to go wherever you want?

I read where one of the posters referred to getting a 39R or something but being turned down flat because he was one-dimensional...I've got all the dimensions but the research (except for a Fulbright, which has to count for something), and am curious if getting a 38 (or even a 36) would set me up nicely for the top tier of schools.

Remember that some of the people like Theprowler, QofQuimica, and Withthatsall are only starting their application process now. So asking this question might be better if asked further down the line when the interviews start rolling in and secondaries and primary apps are all processed.

What I will say is this much.....from my experience on SDN, many of the 35-43 MCAT range students are FAR FROM ONE DIMENSIONAL. They are people who seem to have various backgrounds and activities.

But might be better to pose this either in another thread or something since many of the people are still in the app process, and others..... well others might not be looking at this thread.

LeFauconPelerin said:
Holy mackerel...

I got a 40Q, and let me tell you the application process was no walk in the park. While I firmly believe that my score got my foot in the door for a good number of interviews, at the end of the day it pays to be well rounded. My undergraduate GPA was scraping to get to a 3.1 and a lot of time in my interviews was spent examining that discrepancy. I was definitely handed more rejections than acceptances, and I would have gladly traded a couple of MCAT points for a couple of points added to the GPA and would have been happier had a made the med school choice earlier in my school career.

If you're pretty confident that you've got more than one dimension, great! 36+ would definitely set you up for the top tier of schools and then some; I believe that score is about even or higher than the average for most top schools, so there's definitely a good portion of the population below it.

One of the best pieces of advice that I heard regarding the whole process is that if you got the interview, they're happy with your stats. Now they want to get to know you as a person. If the extracurriculars and school work was really about a commitment to the profession and not just looking good on paper, it'll shine through. Just be yourself and play to your strengths.

gujuDoc -

far be it from me to imply otherwise...it would seem that anyone with that sort of discipline would do what it takes in most areas, not just test-taking. In no way did I mean to denigrate them.

Also, I'm a relative newby, so I don't actually know any of these people, or where they're at in the process.

I didn't realize it'd come around to that stage in the proceedings. I've been in Africa for the last ten months and have no sense whatsoever of the progression of the academic year, the application process, and all that.

Thanks for the response, though.

LeFauconPelerin said:
gujuDoc -

far be it from me to imply otherwise...it would seem that anyone with that sort of discipline would do what it takes in most areas, not just test-taking. In no way did I mean to denigrate them.

Also, I'm a relative newby, so I don't actually know any of these people, or where they're at in the process.

I didn't realize it'd come around to that stage in the proceedings. I've been in Africa for the last ten months and have no sense whatsoever of the progression of the academic year, the application process, and all that.

Thanks for the response, though.

I wasn't saying that you claimed people were one dimensional. Sorry, its hard sometimes to get what you are trying to say by use of an online discussion.

I started the practice MCAT with a 32, but in the end i pulled off a 38. I was told that to gain 6 points on the MCAT in 3 months is unheard of, but that's not true...a lot of my friends gained at least 6 points or over. You just need to be fully dedicated to the MCAT.

(1) Get yourself ready to take an 8 hour exam early in the morning. For this, I recommend that you practice waking up at 8 am and doing 1 section for practice, preferably the Verbal section since it comes first.

(2) Take as many hard core (upper division) science classes as you can. I recommend Physio, Cell Bio, and Developmental.

(3) My favorite section was the Physical Sciences, so I didn't work too hard on this. If it's not your strength, I recommend picking up the 1000 questions for the Physical Sciences and working through each one

(4) Verbal passages seem most reliable with the princeton review. The Kaplan passages are a bit too easy. Time yourself on reading the passages. The key to verbal is timing. Make sure you do not spend more than 7 minutes per passage.

(5) Set out about 6 hours/day during the 3 months of summer to study. Make sure you stay on task. Always finish your day with either a Verbal, PS, or BS section.

If you're not good at standardized tests, I do recommend the Princeton Review over Kaplan. Also, MCAT scores are not the sole determinant of med school admissions. I ended up being wait listed at Davis and Loma Linda, while gaining early admissions into WashU, Irvine, SF, and SD.

I took the MCAT some time ago (1999) and got a 33. I did nothing substantial to prepare. I did complete both a chem and bio program in undergrad with a bunch of research in synthetic organic chemistry, ecology, and molecular bio, but basically relied on my long term memory for the test. I did check out some prep book from the library the night before and skimmed it to see what the sample questions were like.

Had no problems getting into medical school.

I don't necessarily recommend this strategy to everyone, but if you have spent an appropriate amount of time in college actually learning the material, and if you don't freak out, you'll be fine.

9-P 10-V 14-B P-WS Composite: 33P

READ, READ, READ, and READ some more

Kaplan, AAMC

hmmm...a few

Biology/Minor in Chemistry

Grad School Helps...Score went up 8 points....

about 3-4 hrs/ week on average

I can't post in here because I did not break 30. I was so confident that I would, that I would even do really quite well, that I was all set to do some free MCAT tutoring for the summer. Those plans are totally gone now.

Should I retake this August? I better make that decision FAST. Gosh.

12P, 10V, 10B, P 32P

I just used flashcards to refresh a lot of the basic info...but the main method I used was practice tests!!...start using these as early as possible...the MCAT is mostly the ability to take the test itself rather than straight memorized info.

Kaplan, I took the class for August '04 but I didn't end up taking the test so they let me freeze the class. So, I had the class for this April ('05) but I only went to a couple and mainly used the flashcards they provide and books (not much though) to study. I did take advantage of the timed practice tests.

Test - P/V/B=Total
Kaplan FL #1 - 10/10/10=30
#2 - 10/ -/ -
#3 - 11/10/11=32
#4 - 10/10/10=30
#9 - 10/9/11=30
AAMC #3 - 12/9/10=31
#7 - 12/10/11=33
#8 - 12/9/11=32

Biochemistry (so Physical Chem and Biochem helped a little refreshing the basic science info)

Be sure to take the test like it's the only time you're gonna take it...you shouldn't really used it as 'practice', so if you're not ready, wait. Also, start using AAMC practice tests sooner......they're really similar to the actual test more so than Kaplan. Also, go backwards from the higher numbers if you're pressed for time.

6 weeks -- the last two were hardcore...I had pchem and biochem exams the week and a half before, so I was spending every waking hour from 6am to 12pm either in class/lab or studying something.

Hah! I can officially post here :)

11 PS, 11 BS, 10 VR - 32N

PS - EK mainly, a very small bit of the Kaplan review book for one concept, Lewis structures. Also took questions to the Chemistry tutors and my Physics teacher from last year. All very helpful.

BS - Both EK and Kaplan heavy. I knew nothing in this section prior to starting to study. EK first, as an overview, and Kaplan for details. For example, EK's genetics section is a total joke, so I supplemented Kaplan heavy there. EK is a great overview if you're comfortable with it though. Also had EK 1001 questions in Bio, but only used once.

VR - Uh, nothing really. I read EK's book on Verbal, and applied some strategies. I only did 1 of the EK 101 tests. EK's strategies were good, but I focused so hard on sciences I pretty much skipped Verbal, and it may have cost me slightly (was getting 12s on practices).

As said before.

AAMC 1-6, EK 1g(hard as a mother)

Chemistry

Don't feel pressured to use a study schedule, or take a course, or any other standard MCAT premed routine. My best studying came in the last 3-4 weeks, the final stretch where I scrapped the EK schedule and went at my own pace, in my own way. This lets you focus on weaknesses more. For those of you who this works for, great, just don't feel pressured to do it just because it sounds good. I'm glad I scrapped the schedule when I did, because my sciences may have suffered

About 11 weeks. And yes, I studied up until the test started, and brushed up on BS a tiny bit during lunch. Do what makes you happy :)

Good luck to August testers!

10V, 14P, 13B and Q

37Q

I got the Kaplan books. I didn’t benefit from the Kaplan class because they didn’t teach any strategies that I hadn’t already come up with on my own and they really don’t teach much.

So basically I memorized everything in the review books. But that doesn’t give you a good score. I know people that know all the science that can’t break into the 30s. After memorizing everything I did practice problems all day long on my days off and at every available moment during the week. Every practice problem I was not sure of I marked. After checking my answers I took every problem I missed and copied or reworded (so it could fit) onto a note card with explanations on the back. One month before the test I re-memorized everything.

This was the last I studied because it was during this time that the girl I really was in love with tore out my heart and smashed it. But I referenced these note cards I made of problems that I was not comfortable with or that I missed starting two days before the test.

I think if I had studied for verbal all the way up to the test I could have pulled a better score there, but it doesn’t really matter.

Computer Science

Don't let a girl break your heart three weeks before the MCAT. That's what happened to me and I didn't study the last three weeks before the MCAT. Still got the score I wanted so I've forgiven her nonetheless.

Two Months total

confewshz said:
Hello everyone,

I know this question has been asked a zillion times, but I like to get fresh perspectives. For those who got 30+ MCAT scores(SouthernGirl, beanbean, JScrusader, Samoa, nero, and anyone else who has a 30+ MCAT score), can you post the following information please? It would be greatly appreciated.

1) Your individual scores and composite score PS 12 VR 11 BS 12 Comp: 35Q

2) The study method used for each section VR: Reading other stuff, like wall street journal. PS: Gaining encouragement from AAMC practice tests, which were not as hard as Kaplan :p BS: Review and memorize. Flash cards from Kaplan helped out a TON here.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc) Kaplan. Loved it so much, went back to work for um.

4) Which practice tests did you use? Most recent one, AAMC 8R or something. Oh and AAMC 5R is a good one too.

5) What was your undergraduate major? Human Biology

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us? Take a prep course. Forced study time, really complete materials, they know the test well.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT? 3 months

confewshz

VR 13, PS 12, BS 13, WS Q
Total: 38Q

review material, do lots of practice passages

I used EK, which I found to be extremely helpful. They don't give a lot of material, but they helped me get in the right thinking mode. The verbal reasoning book was the best review for that test I've seen.

I took all AAMC practice tests, and I was scoring between 32 and 35.

Trumpet performance is my major (weird for a premed sight, eh?)

Take practice tests a lot! I took 6 of them. Taking the practice tests helps you decide how much detail you actually need to know (it isn't that much, just the basics will do!). I have some upper level bio courses like genetics and cell biology which were really helpful.

I studied starting in December for the April MCAT.

1)
VR 11, PS 11, BS 11, WR S
Total: 33S

1) took the kaplan course...foundation review followed by a battery of practice tests

2) foundation review, practice tests, topicals, website surfing

3) kaplan big book, kaplan high-yield problem solving guide (a lifesaver when it came to physics), barron's mcat book
PS: i had no physics at the time that i began studying for the mcat, and only half a semester when i actually took it, so i'm amazed that i got an 11. high-yield guide helped a lot, kaplan topicals, and TONS of on-my-own study time with basic concepts. i used old slides from physics professors, tons of websites, and the kaplan big book
VR: i'm an english major, so i should have gotten a bit higher on this section. my diag was a 14, so i'm kind of disappointed. my problem was that i focused too much on PS and didn't continue to practice VR...bad idea...keep up doing passages, even if you're doing well. it's a skill that has to be developed
BS: only one year of bio under my belt, but i studied core physiology systems on my own, then did a lot of topical tests and subject tests. kaplan big book was helpful, but barron's went into more detail.

4) kaplan practice tests 1-5 ---> 28, 32, 35, 31, 32
aamc practice tests 7 & 8 ----> 37 and 36
so kaplan ended up being the better indicator

5) English and German, Chemistry minor (probably saved me on the PS)

6) take tons of practice tests! tons of verbal passages! read a lot on your own - read stuff early in the morning (like when you wake up! it'll get you used to the process)

7) started in early January for the April MCAT, but i spent much time doing catch-up work for the two physics semesters that i didn't have :)

GOOD LUCK ALL! PM me if you ever have any questions

confewshz said:
Hello everyone,

VR: 11
PS: 14
W: S
T: 38S

Honestly? I read all of the TPR books on the Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday leading up to the exam. I had signed up for the class and I attended maybe 4 class sessions and all of the diagnostics. I didn't do any of the homework or Practice Tests A-D. I realized that I was way behind on that Monday before April 16, and I started by reading Gen Chem and Orgo (my two worst subjects) and then Physics (which I was in) and BioSci (which I never finished the reading for.) Then I tried to memorize some equations for Physics and Gen Chem and tried to do some reactions for Orgo.

TPR, but like I said above, I didn't really use it... I was stupid.

TPR:

Princeton Review Test 4911 1/16/2005 10 8 10 (28)

Princeton Review Test 4921 2/20/2005 11 8 12 (31)

Princeton Review Test 4931 3/14/2005 10 9 10 (29)

Princeton Review Test 4941 3/20/2005 10 7 11 (28)

Princeton Review Test 4951 4/3/2005 9 10 11 (30)

Biological Sciences and English Literature

Study! Daily. I set out with daily study time and other things always encroached on that (partying, mostly). I only wish I knew how I would have done had I stuck to my study schedule :-\

About 3 days... do as I say, not as I do :laugh:

1) Your individual scores and composite score:
11 P, 10 V, 12 BS = 33

2) The study method used for each section:
P - Engineering Major with really good physical understanding. I wasnt' concerned here at first. Then I realized there was tons of General Chem that was killing me!!! scoring 95%+ on physics and 60-80% on General Chem. Physical Science is not just physics - WATCH OUT! more conceptual then computation

V - Read, Read, Read. I brought my verbal up a lot. Practice tests glaore and passages until I was sick. Did all of the TPR review book, most of the practice test book, and 6 full length tests. There are many different methods that may or may not work for you. Avoid Underlining at all costs. my verbal scores jumped from 7-8 to 10-12 after stopping underlining and reading and takign the test like I would study for a class. You don't need to understand the passage completely to get the questions correct.

BS - Organic chemistry!!! AHHH, I did not take orgo 2, butstill managed a 12. My biology scores were very high, 90% or higher, and very poor chemistry at about 40-50%. Luckily not much of the test. Make sure you take orgo 2 and understand all of that stuff, spectral analysis, carboxlyic acid <- favorite of those crapper. As fo bio, not much review here, mostly cellular review since physiology and the like is simple.

P - TPR
V - TPR
BS - TPR

TPR and AAMC

B.S. in Biomedical Engineering (concentration Neuro-engineering)

1. Space out the studying - do little by little.
2. The actual class time was more or less useless - but it forced me to study and to compete, which ahd some benifits.
3. DO NOT try and memorize everything. UNLESS You are a freaking genius, just do not do it. IT WILL NOT WORK.

10 hr/ class week for 2 month
another 10 hr/ studying - was taking full load of clases as well
no use in over doing it. I was pretty sure I was goign to score over a 30. on 3r no studying, I was in the 30 ballpark, and my scores decreased after some studying and were on the rebound the final few weeks. Have confidence and do not change your answers for the sake of changing them.

8) School?
Undergraduate - Georgia Tech - Ramblin' Wrek and a helluva engineer

:)

11-P 12-V 11-B P-WS Composite: 34P

TPR Problems from the workbook

TPR and all AAMC tests

All released AAMC's

Bio, minor in creative writing

Dont overstudy like I did. Its not that big of a deal. Don't take it too seriously. Take time off to go have some fun once in a while, at least once a week go out. Don't let it consume your life or you will feel too much pressure on test day. DO NOT avoid topics you don't like...study those THE HARDEST. If I didn't avoid E&M and carboxylic acid orgo, I could have done better. But because I didn't like those topics and avoided them, I missed those questions.

~40 hrs a week Feb-April, including class time.

crazy_cavalier said:
I can't post in here because I did not break 30. I was so confident that I would, that I would even do really quite well, that I was all set to do some free MCAT tutoring for the summer. Those plans are totally gone now.

Should I retake this August? I better make that decision FAST. Gosh.

Don't be so down on yourself. 29 is a great score with the breakdown you had. You WILL GET INTO MED SCHOOL with that score. Also 29 is only one point from a 30, so if you got good advice, don't be hesitant to give it. You did well. Stop being harsh on yourself. Apply already and save the neuroses for other more important affairs like secondaries, interviews, acceptance decisions, etc.

As of last night I too am able to post in this thread. I hope you guys who are still prepping for the MCAT can take all the info from this thread and forge it into the perfect study schedule. Everyone is giving great tips, and I only hope that I can do the same. For myself, the biggest factor was not necessarily studying excessively...but I'll get to it down below.

11V, 12B, 12P, WP --> 35P

Verbal - Alright...this was the hardest section for me. Always has been, always will be. I never have been a very skilled reader. Going from that assumption, I started trying every strategy under the sun. I got scores on practice tests ranging from 5-10, but not in a progressive fashion. They seemed more random than anything else, and I just couldn't put my finger on what I was missing in my approach. Then -- I tried it. I tried the most simple thing EVA. I read the passage and answered the questions. Huh? Yeah...I read the passage without allowing myself to mark anything and proceeded to answer the questions. It is amazing how fresh the "feel" and information of the passage stays in your head when you read it straight through with interruption of any sort. I guess that's what EK was always trying to get at, but I felt there was something more to it. There really isn't though -- just frigging read the passages and answer the questions...don't waste any time in between and you will get better at it. I can't believe I tried all these strategies before trying what was intuitive. BLAH. Btw, I used EK's 101 passages book and some Kaplan tests here and there.

PS - Kaplan flash cards, EK 1001 Physics, EK 1001 Chemistry. Once you know these inside out, do the kaplan topicals. That's about it. :p

BS - Kaplan flash cards, EK 1001 Organic, EK 1001 Biology. Once you know these inside out, do the kaplan topicals. That's about it. :D

WS - Hahah, I read something I found on this forum(don't really remember, but someone made an absolutely STELLAR post) and printed it out the day before the test. I simply read it during the actual MCAT lunch break. Just 10 minutes...and I had done probably one real WS before that...was totally unfamiliar with it. Just know the structure...and think underneath the underneath when analyzing the sentence. Once you've done that, throw it all out in words and badabing badaboom, you'll get a decent score.

One last thing --> the base knowledge for me came from doing Kaplans Subject tests and simply listening to EK CDs.

So my "build order" was pretty much(if you take Kaplan or purchase access to their materials):
-Take notes and POOP ON THE FLOOR
-No im joking about the above. Take notes on EK Audioosmosis thoroughly...all 12 cds! *Make sure to get the error list off their site, as EK has a few outstanding errors! There were also some that weren't listed at the time...like where one of the guys mentioned efferent instead of afferent in terms of kidney bloodflow, or something like that. Anyways...!
-After having your notes together, do all the Kaplan Subject tests(5 of them for Bio, Phys, Orgo, and Chem. totaling 20 tests). I really learned stuff from these, but remember that Kaplan always gives you more than you might need -- if you see a question which you are sure is beyond the scope of the MCAT...skip that shiz! You can do all of them though, Kaplan has great explanations and you neeeever know if it'll appear on your test.
-Do the EK books and the Kaplan topicals(as shown above for each specific section)
-Somewhere in here do a couple of full lengths for time management ability. If you know you can make it through the test no prob -- stop doing the full-lengths. <---I'll prolly get some bad mouthing for this one haha, but this is simply what I believe :D
-Lastly, throughout all the above, make place for a verbal test at least twice a week(EK 101 passages)...and a couple of passages every day or every other day.

Other than those mentioned above, I did AAMC 3R, 4R and 7, and skipped most of the Kaplan Full Lenghts because I hated them. Part of my strategy said -- "Hey, if I can frigging get through the test's time limit, why do I keep having to do full-lengths?" From then on, I went back to specific practicing after I was sure I could do a full-length or two.

3R, 4R, and 7. I also did one of the Kaplan Full Lengths(the first one, and never came back any saturdays after that hahah).

Biology -- I should have picked something else though ;0

Alright. So you're preparing for months and months for a test that will determine whether or not you can advance towards your dream! But man...what's the most important...OMG I can't stress it enough. My highest practice test was a 34...so I was expecting somewhere around a 30-32 for my MCAT score. Anyways, what I can't stress enough is that you feel TOP NOTCH for test day. I don't care how long you prepare, if you feel like turkeyfeed the day of the test -- It's over. This is EVERYTHING. Get 9-10 hours of sleep the night before. In addition, I ate a light dinner the night before and ate fruit(mainly bananas, because the potassium increases the excitability of your tissues :D) and peanut butter & jelly throughout test day. Also...I drank water...no gatorade. I did exactly what I normally do when I'm training for my tournaments...yeap.

I started around January 15th, and the MCAT was April 16th. So three solid months.

I really wish you all a ton of luck and hope even a shred of my advice can do something for you! Keep on chugging and the key factor in your MCAT score is feeling good on test day. Screw that other stuff -- if this is missing you are screwed! :luck: :luck:

keg0001 said:
VR: 11
PS: 14
W: S
T: 38S

Honestly? I read all of the TPR books on the Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday leading up to the exam. I had signed up for the class and I attended maybe 4 class sessions and all of the diagnostics. I didn't do any of the homework or Practice Tests A-D. I realized that I was way behind on that Monday before April 16, and I started by reading Gen Chem and Orgo (my two worst subjects) and then Physics (which I was in) and BioSci (which I never finished the reading for.) Then I tried to memorize some equations for Physics and Gen Chem and tried to do some reactions for Orgo.

TPR, but like I said above, I didn't really use it... I was stupid.

TPR:

Princeton Review Test 4911 1/16/2005 10 8 10 (28)

Princeton Review Test 4921 2/20/2005 11 8 12 (31)

Princeton Review Test 4931 3/14/2005 10 9 10 (29)

Princeton Review Test 4941 3/20/2005 10 7 11 (28)

Princeton Review Test 4951 4/3/2005 9 10 11 (30)

Biological Sciences and English Literature

Study! Daily. I set out with daily study time and other things always encroached on that (partying, mostly). I only wish I knew how I would have done had I stuck to my study schedule :-\

About 3 days... do as I say, not as I do :laugh:

You must be competing with NUTMEG for least studied yet highest score award!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :thumbup: :thumbup:

9V, 9B, 13P, R --> 31R

Verbal - Almost didn't take the MCAT because I thought I was just not endowed intellectually enough in that capacity. I looked at 3R last summer and probably scored a 5 or 6, max. And everyone seems to think it's the easiest. So, I did an INSANE amount of verbal practice. Like 3 passages every day at least for about 3-4 months. I did Kaplan, all 11 EK tests.

PS - Not much, Kaplan stuff. I double majored in engineering and I'm naturally gifted regarding numbers, quantitative stuff, and math. If only the MCAT could have a complete math section.

BS - Kaplan stuff.

WS - Nothing except for the odd kaplan deal. I was told not to even bother about it since med schools only look at the numerical score. Also, I was blown away that I got a R. I took only 2 writing/English courses out of the 35 at Duke. So, most people -- and I kind of agree -- think I suck at writing. Especially since I'm slow. Also, I scored 520 on the SAT II Writing. I was like 22 percentile on it and failed the grammar section. I grew up in South Africa with a dysfunctional English system...or maybe I'm just illiterate.

NOTE: I did almost all of the suggested (i.e. optional) things on Kaplan -- all the sectional tests, subject tests, read the books 3 times, flashcards, everything.

Kaplan for all sections + EK for verbal + AAMC tests.

MCAT Test # Practice Test Name Date (it was administered or scored): Physical Sciences Section Verbal Reasoning Section Biological Sciences Section MCAT Total Score

1 Kaplan Diagnostic 1/24/2005 12 8 7 27
2 Kaplan Full Length #1 1/17/2005 11 8 9 28
3 Kaplan Full Length #6 3/5/2005 12 10 9 31
4 Kaplan Full Length #7 3/10/2005 11 10 10 31
5 Kaplan Full Length #2 3/15/2005 12 11 10 33
6 Kaplan Full Length #3 3/20/2005 12 9 9 30
7 Kaplan Full Length #8 3/22/2005 11 9 11 31
8 AAMC Full Length 5R 3/24/2005 13 9 10 32
9 AAMC Full Length 4 3/27/2005 11 9 10 30
10 Kaplan Full Length #4 4/2/2005 9 9 10 28
11 Kaplan Full Length #9 4/5/2005 11 10 11 32
12 AAMC Full Length 6R 4/6/2005 13 8 11 32
13 Kaplan Full Length #5 4/10/2005 12 8 12 32
14 AAMC Full Length 7 4/11/2005 14 10 12 36
15 REAL MCAT 4/16/2005 13 9 9 R 31R

NOTE: What the average person does studywise, I try to multiply by 3-5 times.

Electrical Engineering (1st major) and Biomedical Engineering (2nd major) at Duke University. Think studying for the MCAT for 4 years, that's what school was like for me. Unbelievably intense.

I'm intelligent, but I always thought too selectively to do well enough on the MCAT. My SAT scores were like 730M, 610V and SAT II's: Math IC: 790 (99 percentile), Physics 740, Chem 720, and Writing 520 (22 percentile!!).

Personally, the thing that helped me the most was my faith. Not in the sense that I feel like God capriciously dishes out this score and that randomly. But I honestly wanted to go out on a limb and take a test that I knew I wasn't the most well suited for...because I was so reluctant to try the MCAT after watching friends and family do bad. So, it was kind of a personal, I want to show God how much I love Him by trying this even though I know that I may do terrible. So, I felt like I was sacrificing a lot in time and energy, but I wanted to do it for Him. Now, you'll be asking how did I sacrifice so much? Well, when all of my friends went off to NYC, med/law/engineering school, I had to spend 16 months going from ground zero up. So, it was a massive investment. Also, I spent the whole of last summer reading biology textbook after textbook.

Really since May last year -- in terms of indirect studying. Like reading a ton of bio. I also started on verbal over the summer. All of that quit during the Fall semester. Then, in Jan, I went nuts until test day. Studied probably at least 40 hours per week!

I can't believe I actually get to post on this thread yay!

VR 10
PS 11
BS 10....31M

I was getting 12s on verbal so didn't study for it, and then ended up with a 10. I had a hard time with PS so I went over the Kaplan chapters so many times I wanted to vomit. And memorized the BS book. I had to teach the chapters to myself b/c my bio classes never went over embryology etc.

Kaplan, AAMC.

Kaplan diagnostic: 20
I never got even close to a 30 on my Kaplan practice tests...26s, etc. (these are way harder i think)
AAMC 7: 32
AAMC 8: 25 yeah you read that right! Don't get overconfident/lazy!
Also I was getting S and Ts on my writing samples for Kaplan, so don't trust them on that. I got an M on the real thing, so if you actually care about your writing sample, try to pay attention during that section of the test. I personally used it as a nice break. Oops!

Political Science

It feels good to study the things you know well, but DON'T DO THIS. ONLY study the things you are doing poorly on. Even though it sucks, study those same chapters a million times over. Study the stuff you know well only during the week before the test.

Every freaking day for like 10 hours a day for 4 months. I sat in the library until they kicked me out at 2AM every night. I worked my freakin' @ss off but it worked! You CAN do this, you just have to WORK like crazy. Also, treat that MCAT like it is your b!tch. If you're scared of it, it will kick your butt. You are in control. Seriously this is an important tip.

GOOD LUCK :luck:

35Q: WS 11, BS 11, PS 13, writing Q

Forgive me if I have forgotten the specific books I used; it's been a while (I tested in August '02)

PS - I got a specific physical sciences review book, read and took notes on every section, and did ALL the practice problems.

BS - I got chemistry review books and went through them just as meticulously as the physical sciences one. I didn't really feel the need to review biology/physiology/genetics much, because I seem to retain that information alarmingly well.

WS - I just did practice problems from some books, Kaplan and Princeton Review.

3) What materials you used for each section

Random study books! Most were Kaplan or Princeton Review, I believe. I bought some, borrowed some, and checked some out from the library.

Whatever came in my books.

Genetics

My study method could probably be described as the Low-Budget Study Plan. I did not take a course. I did not purchase a lot of materials; in fact, I think the only materials I actually purchased were my subject review guides, because I wanted to be able to write in them. The rest were all borrowed from friends who'd taken the MCAT previously or checked out from the library. I'm sure there are test-takers who would cringe at my haphazard approach, but it worked just fine for me.

If 'ya gotta pick a section to really, really review, pick physical sciences. Seriously. Most premeds aren't as good at PS as they are at the other sections. You can miss several questions and still score high, whereas missing a few questions in verbal will drop your score significantly because everyone else does so well by comparison. I signed up for the MCAT knowing I was weak in PS. I've always been weak in PS. I B'ed my way through physics. But I scored highest in that section because I really, really studied it, and the few questions I did miss didn't make as big an impact because people miss comparitively more questions in that section.

If 'ya gotta pick a section to gloss over, pick the essay. They're all the same format. Write one to get used to the format, and be done with it.

Be sure to take full-length practice tests. Do 'em as though they were real. You may think that all you need to know is the subject matter, but you also need to know how to tackle an 8-hour exam. Knowing how to walk is very different from running a marathon.

Finally, I'd like to say is that my study plan won't work for everyone. I am very much a type-A personality. I'm extremely motivated, and I have a lot of self-discipline. I sat myself down for four separate full-length exams as the MCAT approached. I timed myself religiously and ran through the whole thing just like the real one. I didn't need Kaplan or anything like that because I am able to do this on my own, and I don't like having people structure my study time and methods for me. Not everyone is like me, though. . .some people need more of a structured study plan. This is just as fine and valid, and if you know you are like this, by all means sign up for a class. You'll likely be glad you did!

I studied a couple hours every day, on average (some days I didn't study at all, others I studied 4-6 hours.) I took the summer off from work so I would have time for this and not be inordinately stressed. I studied over the span of two months (mid-June to mid-August).

VR 10 PS 12 BS 11 33Q
Verbal - Did passages from Kaplan MCAT Comprehensive Review and , got a subscription and read Scientific American magazine.

Biology and Physics - I got A's in all of my organic chemistry, regular chemistry, physics, and biology classes so just basically had to review the kaplan mcat book.

Kaplan book and I took the 3r online.

I don't remember specifics, but took four Kaplan tests, an ArcoGold book with three tests, and 3r online for free. My scores ranged from 25 to 30, but during practice tests I would finish early and not go back to look over questions I wasn't sure on. I did go back and check on the real mcat and changed 5 to 10 answers per section and that's the main difference between my practice scores and the real thing.
Biology.
Do well in the prereqs, relearning something is way easier than learning it the first time. The effort I put into my college classes made studying for the MCAT more of a review than actually learning anything. Oh, and good luck.

Three brutal weeks.

VR 11
PS 14
BS 13
WS Q

38Q

VR - Just kept on doing passages. Did a lot. Recommend TPR verbal workbook and Examkracker 101 passages.
PS - TPR science workbook and (more importantly) a great chem instructor in TPR helped a lot.
BS - Did all the passages in TPR workbook. Read some chapters in my physiology textbook as well.
WS - not much. My teacher wasn't helpful. I am happy with my score but not with the teacher :mad:

TPR, Examkracker 101 passages and some "1001 questions...", AAMC 3-8

AAMC 3-8
TPR Diags

Genetics/Microbiology

Good teachers can make a huge difference. Try to ask around.

I am not a native speaker, so verbal was the most difficult section for me. But doing A LOT OF passages will help.

Take some advanced level science courses. Will help boost your confidence even if the materials are not "directly" related to MCAT.

From Feb 1 to April 13. 4 hours a day, 6 days a week.

P12-V11-B12-P = 35P

Took the Kaplan class, followed their guide on how to do things. EK Audio CD

3) What materials you used for each section?
Used the Kaplan books for everything, although I thought Kaplan's books and their classes were garbage. I purchased the EK books because I felt that I was going to take the August test and they were far superior.

Kaplan full-lengths (1-8) and all of the AAMC tests available. Kaplan was a good warm-up, but the AAMC tests were really what helped me the most. Don't cheap out on them.

BS: Molecular and Cellular Biology, Biochemistry. BA: Political Science

I would take one AAMC exam at the begining of your prep, and maybe some TPR and Kaplan exams, but save the other 4 or 5 AAMC tests until the last few weeks before the exam.

Also, use those stupid EK audio CD's, they are dumb and wont help you 10 points just by listening, but if you can get one or two more points just from listening to them while you workout then why not?

Started preparing at the begining of February for the April exam, so approximately 2.5 months. Studied probably 30-45 minutes every day, and would do a full-length exam EVERY SATURDAY. Then would spend the afternoon going over the material I missed. But, I didn't go nuts studying for this damn thing.

PS 15
VR 12
BS 11
WS S

38S

VR - Being an English major, I decided to concentrate more on the science sections as far as studying went (I personally don't believe it's possible to improve in VR beyond a certain limited range). It's important to do enough passages to get your timing down correct. TPR, for example, teaches that there is a "killer" passage that you should save until last and then guess on. If you just want a 10, this advice will probably work, if you do well on all of the other passages. If you're aiming high, however, you should disregard this, and practice your timing until you can finish all 9 passages, with time to spare.

PS - I took TPR, and did all of the passages in the workbook. I kept track of all of my mistakes and studied those areas of weakness in depth before moving on. I also did all of the reading in the review book - I know lots of people ignore this, but I think it's helpful.

BS - Same as what I did for PS. Results weren't as shiny, though. =P

WS - Basically nothing. Again, I'm an English major and pretty confident in my writing abilities, so I concentrated on sciences. If you take TPR, follow the formula exactly, and you'll do fine.

Just TPR and what came with it. I was going to use EK for OChem, since TPR's coverage is pretty weak, but was too lazy to go for it in the end.

AAMC 6R, 7
TPR Diags

English

The lecture component of any prep course is just a formality. Think of it as a supplement and not the most important thing. The best thing you can do is read the review books, and then ask the teachers if you have any questions or problems.

If you take TPR (or any prep course, I imagine), follow the calendar and do ALL of the assignments. Keep track of your weak areas, and work to improve them.

Biochemistry and Physiology are EXTREMELY helpful for the BS portion of the MCAT. After biochemistry, you will be a wizard with proteins, molecular biology, and DNA. It will save you a lot of study time.

Late January until April 16th...more or less 4 hours a day on average, 4 or 5 days a week. Spent spring break doing practice exams.

Good luck!

PS: 13
VR: 13
WS: O
BS: 14
Composite: 40O

Mostly Kaplan Comprehensive Review book. Didn't take any of the classes. Anything I was unsure on I went back to my class notes. Once I had a firm grasp, I started practice tests. I think the biggest help to me was upper-level science classes actually. Micro, Genetics, Immuno, Eukaryotic Cell Bio, Physical Science, Virology, Gross Anatomy, Physiology, and Biochem sure helped. Can't believe I got a 14 in BS, I haven't had Orgo since freshman year, but I guess I studied enough!

Kaplan Comprehensive Review book covered everything I needed to know, as long as you've had it in a class before. Definately only useful as REVIEW.

Kaplan, AAMC 3, 6, 7.

Microbiology BS, Physiology BS. Have 120 credits, but still have another year to finish requirements for the degrees. Not really in a hurry.

Don't entirely diss the Writing Section, as I did. I doubt the O will hurt me with a 40 and 3.97 GPA, but it definately won't help. I guess my biggest suggestions, for what helped me are:
1. Upper level classes help, but will take up alot of your time and mean you can't diversify or be a non-science major.
2. Practice tests! Take a ton! Under real conditions! At 9 in the morning!

Well, with my majors, I've really been studying all along. Started cracking down on the Kaplan around February, and did almost nothing but MCAT studying in March.

:)
confewshz said:
Hello everyone,

10V 12PS 11BS = 33M

Study the TPR review. Each and every chapter read word for word. Do all the HWK. Review mistakes. Keep a record of your progress.

good luck to all

TPR and TBR practice problems. ExamKrackers just for Ochem

all the AAMC and the TPR tests

BIO

Dont get discouraged. The progress may be initially slow. Push through it. Your hard work will pay off. Do all the practice exams under real test conditions. Take the appropriate breaks.

3.5 months. 300 + hours

confewshz

PS 10 BS 11 VR 12 WR O Total: 33

Light review with Kaplan review book and practice tests

AAMC sample exams and Kaplan review book

AAMC 3-7

Mathematics

Believe it or not. The AAMC practice tests are a really good indicator of your score. After I walked out of the test I really feeled like I bombed PS but I still got a 10. That was right around my practice test range!

I think the highest yield preparation is taking practice tests and then going over your mistakes and trying to understand them. You would be surprised how many questions on the real exam are almost identical to the ones on the practice exams.

Also, I am not a native speaker. I moved to the US four years ago and before then my English was dismal. Now I got a 12 in verbal... I don't think that being foreign is an obstacle to a high verbal score. If you want to discuss this with me, feel free to pm me.

Besides taking the practice tests I spent about 10 hours reviewing material.
I feel that I could have scored much higher if I had studied more, especially in PS. But during the term I was just too busy. I am happy that I could achieve such a score with minimal preparation.

I did not prepare for the writing sample at all since nobody seems to care about it. If you want a higher score in writing you should definitely take some practice writing samples!

confewshz said:
Hello everyone,

confewshz

1. BS 14; VR 13; PS 14; WS O - composite 41 O

2. in a word, kaplan (full disclosure: i've just been hired to teach for kaplan.) i used their study materials, homeworks, and practice tests, and their pre-fab flash cards for the sciences. i went up 10 points over my first diagnostic.

3. like i said, kaplan stuff. i did not use any of the aamc stuff. my real score was also 3 points higher than my highest practice test, so maybe kaplan materials are somewhat harder than the real thing?

4. just the kaplan practice tests, five of them.

5. linguistics

6. if you're worried about being able to sleep, get a prescription sleeping pill and test it out the week before (to make sure it doesn't make you too groggy or anything.) i've always been good on standardized tests, and as a result i'm usually pretty relaxed. but i didn't sleep the night before the mcat. not at all, not even an hour. i went through the whole test day feeling like my head was encased in a block of concrete, and i nearly fainted with ten minutes left to go in BS (not an exaggeration). it's a long day and you need to be at the top of your game, so get some sleep!

7. i studied for about 6 months. the kaplan course started in november, i think, and the test was in april. i had also just finished 4 quarters of pre-med pre-reqs, so that stuff was pretty fresh, but i had not yet taken all of my o-chem and biochem.

hope that helps!

PS 10, VR 10, BS 11, WR O
Total: 31 O

I took the princeton review course. Some of their preparation was better than others. I didn't really like their VR strategies. VR was the most difficult section for me. I am still stunned that I was able to get a 10. For the last 2 weeks before the test I did full length VR tests almost every single day (mostly from EK101 book) and was getting mostly 9's with an occasional 8 or 10.

Bio was always my strongest section. Honestly, I was hoping for a little higher than I got on BS but the higher than expected VR more than makes up for it.

For the PS I did tons of passages in the TPR science workbook but truthfully, I could never keep up on all the homework they assigned. If I had been able to, I have no doubt my scores would be higher in both science sections. I was still cramming on physics stuff the very last week before the MCAT, even the day before the test.

TPR books, Examkrackers books (1001 physics, 1001 gen chem, 101 passages in Verbal Reasoning, 101 passages in Bio), also went over old ochem and bio notes from school

TPR 4911: 7 PS, 7 VR, 10 BS
TPR 4921: 7 PS, 6 VR, 8 BS
TPR 4931: 8 PS, 7 VR, 9 BS
AAMC 6R: 9 PS, 8 VR, 11 BS
AAMC 7: 12 PS, 8 VR, 13 BS

Cinema-Television Critical Studies from USC
(but currently finishing a 2nd bachelors degree in biology)

Taking all-day, full length tests under exact exam conditions is essential. Being successful on the MCAT is all about finding a familiar rhythm. This will help you get your proper timing and teach you how to stay awake all day. I never consciously felt tired or anything on MCAT day because my body was used to the whole procedure (that and a whole bunch of adrenaline, I guess).

Food tips: I ate a big meal (pasta) the night before. I also ate a big breakfast the day of the test. I bought a sandwich at subway the day before and brought it for lunch on test day. I also brought several snack bars and ate one during each and every 10 minute break.

It's very difficult to juggle school and MCAT prep. I was taking a reduced schedule of classes while taking my TPR class but it was still too much. Be careful with class selection. I had regular school 5 days a week and TPR 4 nights a week + practice tests every couple of saturdays. Although 9 units + TPR sounded perfectly reasonable to me... it depends what those 9 units are. I was taking biochem lec&lab and neuroanatomy. While I did get A's, I know that it hurt my PS score since I couldn't stay on top of the homework.

about 3-4 months

PS:13 VR:12 WS:R BS:12 Composite: 37R

I studied on my own. I was finishing up my postbac year in the spring, so a lot of the test material was fresh in my mind (although some of it wasn't covered until much later in the spring semester). After my first practice test, I identified areas where I was weak and studied them briefly. I spent most of my time studying bio, which was my weakest section by far.

I used the AAMC practice tests, as well as a store-bought Kaplan book with two practice tests. My bio score was improved tremendously with the Examkrackers bio book. For Verbal, I focused on reading the questions accurately and exposing myself to a wide variety of essays/books in the months leading up to the test. For all other reference, I used my school textbooks and occasionally some Kaplan course material.

See above -- AAMC (all of them), store-bought Kaplan

Computer Science, class of '99

Start studying early and pace yourself. Don't be unrealistic with your score goals, but do make sure you challenge yourself. Take lots of practice tests under realistic conditions.

Started in mid-January or early February for the April '05 test.

blee said:

PS:11 VR:9 WS:O BS:11 Composite: 31O

I took a Kaplan prep. course. Bio was my strong point (I got a 10 on my diagnostic and was scoring 13's in the week before the test and was hoping for a higher BS score on test day... but oh well...), so I didn't study this section much at all; didn't even read much of the Kaplan Biological Sciences book. Guess I should have studied it more. PS and VR were my weaknesses, so I did A LOT of PS review/practice test questions. This was the majority of my studying. My VR scores were all over the place, from 7 to 12 and besides practice tests, I found it hardest to study for, so ended up not studying much for it and just hoped for the best (I was very excited to get a 9!!!). I didn't study the writing sample; I always scored very high by Kaplan standards and felt my actual essays were equivalent to my practice tests, so BEWARE, Kaplan graders are not the same as MCAT graders.

Kaplan books.

All required Kaplan tests + 2 or 3 extra Kaplan tests + 2 or 3 AAMC tests (don't remember which ones).

Microbiology BS (one year left of school)

PRACTICE TESTS!! And get down solid the material you are unfamiliar with. Understand that it is NOT the end of the world if you don't do well on this test. ;) That said, try not to procrastinate studying - it will just stress you out more!! :scared: :scared:

Good luck to you all (I feel your pain)!! :luck: :luck:

Started Kaplan course second week of January and increased the amount of time I studied up to the test (except I relaxed the week before, by Kaplan's recommendation and am glad that I did).

I have been waiting a year to reply to this post :D

11PS, 10VR, 10BS -- 31N (me not write well)

Review and practice, practice, practice.

For the PS section, I used the TPR Physical Sciences Review (good stuff). I did problems from the Science Workbook. For the BS section, I used the EK biology book (best MCAT biology review book on the market) and for organic I used my textbook by Wade to brush up on the stuff. For verbal, I used the EK 101 book, Kaplan verbal exams, and verbal exams from the Kaplan full-lengths.

I did AAMC exams 4r, 7r and 8r and one of Kaplan full lenghts, I think it was FL11. I did Kaplan topicals which kills your ego at the moment but helps in the long run. I also did the EK 101 book and used Kaplan verbal exams, and did verbal exams from the Kaplan FLs.

Biology.

Practice, practice, practice. I am not naturally gifted and have to work harder than others in order to get to the same level. But this was a labor of love. Once you practice doing enough problems, you are really in the MCAT mindset and are not as surprised by the test questions as much. My initial score was poor because I spent too much time reviewing and memorizing stuff as opposed to practicing problems.

I started studying for the April MCAT in late December. It's a little earlier than most people would recommend but like I said, I need more time than usual. I started with light reviewing. I took three of my practice tests during the last two weeks. The final exam I took was AAMC 8 and was the same as my coposite and individual score :scared: The AAMC is watching you.

Good luck to all who will take the MCAT. If I can do it, so can you.

1) 36 O: 11B, 11P, 14 VR

2) Just practice tests and review from books. I was taking physics, bio and chem that semester, so that helped. I read a lot in my free time, and I think that helped with the VR.

3) I took the full Kaplan course, but really wouldn't recommend it for anything other than the practice tests. I never did any of the homework because I didn't find it helpful, and the teachers were either so dull as to put me to sleep, or didn't know their stuff. As well, they took extremely long times to get my writing samples back to me, and with very few comments on how to improve. If it weren't for the proctored tests, I should have just bought the books and studied for myself. I think it was a waste of money (although granted I didn't take it for it's full value. Also I was doing it in NYC- other sites might be different). Also their website sucks.

I agree with Lizanne- I was doing really well on the writing sample according to the kaplan graders, and I was pretty confident on it coming out. Have absolutely no idea what happened.

4) Apart from Kaplan, I did some AAMC practice tests, and found these to be the most helpful.

5) I am a biology major. (so how is that not my best section? go figure)

6) Do the AAMC practice tests. I think the best thing for me was to do each passage, mark the questions I was unsure about, and then grade each passage as I went along. That way when I was scoring it and looking at the answers, I could still remember why I chose the answer I did, and see why I was wrong. Also then you don't end up skipping reading the answers for questions you happened to guess right on.

I got so nervous the night before the test that I barely slept. I spazzed during the first section, and then fell ASLEEP during the bio section. Get a good night's sleep the night before ( I know everyone says this), and I would suggest caffeine even though everyone says not to. Have a cup at lunch to make sure you can keep on going if you see yourself starting to flag at the end of practice tests.

I heard from a kaplan instructor that if you guess the same letter every time you guess, you have a greater chance of guessing right. Doesn't make any sense to me, but there you go.

7) About 3 months, maybe 5-10 hours a week for the last month.

Good luck, you can do it.

note: I have the kaplan books for anyone who wants them. I'm not really willing to send them because it would cost a fortune, but I live in toronto - message me if you do too and want them.

Wow, this thread started in 2002?

Physical Sciences: 14
Verbal: 15
Biology: 12
Writing: O
Composite: 41 O

For the physical section, I recommend writing out all the equations you will need for physics on one sheet, and chemistry on another. You should be able to explain to yourself when you will use each equation, what each variable stands for, and what units to use--sometimes you can puzzle out the correct answer once you know what equation to use, based on the numbers they hand you. The wrong units will trip you up, so they'll put in multiple choice answers that'll mislead you. If you are good on time, quickly double check your reasoning and calculations to make sure you didn't add wrong--it's easier to do this while your brain is still thinking about the problem than going back later. A quick glance won't take too much time away.

For the verbal section, I went from a 10 to a 15. I realized that I was choosing answers that "felt right," but weren't supported by the passage. Sometimes I'd be cocky and assume that I remembered a particular section, so I'd choose an answer without looking up the context--this is a sure way to make silly mistakes. The elimination strategies taught by the review courses are good; I didn't like marking the passages with $$ and # and all that junk b/c it got so cluttered. I stuck to underlining, even though they recommend against it. If you're more comfortable with a certain mark-up, stick to it! I definitely recommend summarizing each paragraph with ~5 words, because that helped /a lot/ for the "main idea" questions--the correct answer should contain the main idea from each paragraph of the passage.

For the biology section--well, it's a lot of memorization. I don't like flashcards, so I didn't use them. I noticed a lot of times when I was stuck, the answer was actually embedded in the passage--so read critically. Take out a separate sheet of paper and diagram, define, list, etc. etc. This will help solidify your memory, as well as see the overall picture.

For the writing section--I didn't do too well and I'm not really sure why. I suspect I didn't address the prompt correctly. So my advice is--make sure you're really addressing the problem, it doesn't matter how pretty your composition is if you miss the point!

I took a Princeton Review course and used their study guides, and also studied from the Exam Krackers (sp?) material for chemistry, physics, o-chem and biology. I never finished any of the books, not even my assigned homework from Princeton.

What you should get from these practice books are the type of questions you will be expected to answer. Once you acquaint yourself with the different strategies and amount of material you will be responsible for, studying more books won't be helpful. There is no way you can prepare for every single question you will be asked--therefore, I suggest doing as much as you possibly can, and then going back to look at your mistakes and see what thought process you missed. Then you can say--oh, I get confused about hormones, better memorize those again...

Princeton Review supplied their own exams, as well as 3 real MCAT practice tests.

Biological Sciences.

Pace yourself and don't worry about what anyone else is doing. Study hard though, you don't want any regrets and you definitely don't want to take it again.

The last week before the MCATs I would recommend:
Going over all your past mistakes and addressing your errors (Was it strategy? Just not knowing the answer? Carelessness? Math?)

Practice basic math. It sounds silly, but I had trouble w/my multiplication tables during the practice exams.

Make sure you have your equations down cold. Same with biological facts.

Do at least one fun, non-MCAT activity to lift your spirits a few days before the exam. Don't sacrifice a good night of sleep for last-minute cramming.

During the MCAT:
Don't freak out, because you prepared and you are smart! Have lunch by yourself, don't discuss the exam until you are completely finished.

Not including class time, I spent about 5 hours a day in the library...although much of it was spent staring out the window and surfing the net. The MCAT is hard in the sense that the questions are poorly worded. My biggest concern was: What are you trying to say and how do you want me to respond? Once you can translate MCAT-ese you'll find your scores improving. Be very suspicious of anything that seems too easy!

Good luck next August!

Addendum

Whether or not you take the MCAT in April or August should depend on YOUR schedule, not what your friends are doing or what seems less competitive. You should have your MCAT done by the time you apply to med school. Pick a date where you can study comfortably. I'm a big fan of summer after sophomore year, if you've finished G-bio, G-chem, O-chem and Physics A/B. You don't need to take biochemistry or other advanced courses, it'll never show up on the MCAT and review courses will fill in the blanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.