30 on first MCAT. Retake was a 38. What will admissions committees do or think about this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kobe526

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I took the mcat and scored a 30 the first time. My AAMC averages were near a 36. I couldn't sleep the night before.

I spent an additional 3 months preparing and retook. This time I had a 40 AAMC average. Again, I made mistakes, but I got a score I'm am absolutely ecstatic about. Literally, jumped up and down for a whole 5 minutes after seeing I had scored in the top 1%.

Sorry for the details. Not trying to brag. I had to take the test twice, and wasted 9 months of time studying total.

My only questions. I am at a top 20 undergrad. did research. high gpa. the whole premed thing. some pubs.

Will top research med schools Average my two scores and compare me with students who have 34s? or will they use my 38?

Should I not apply Md/phD?

Members don't see this ad.

whatever5 is kidding/being an ass. Assuming your "high gpa" is actually high and you have done anything else relevant, you should be fine.

Poke around various med school admissions web pages. Some schools take the single highest MCAT test, some combine your highest individual sections, some look at all MCAT scores and their trend/context, etc.

Any school that says they look at the highest score - obviously you have no choice but to apply there.

Hey everyone. I took the mcat and scored a 30 the first time. My AAMC averages were near a 36. I couldn't sleep the night before.

I spent an additional 3 months preparing and retook. This time I had a 40 AAMC average. Again, I made mistakes, but I got a score I'm am absolutely ecstatic about. Literally, jumped up and down for a whole 5 minutes after seeing I had scored in the top 1%.

Sorry for the details. Not trying to brag. I had to take the test twice, and wasted 9 months of time studying total.

My only questions. I am at a top 20 undergrad. did research. high gpa. the whole premed thing. some pubs.

Will top research med schools Average my two scores and compare me with students who have 34s? or will they use my 38?

Each school has their own policies on how they treat retakes. No school will look down on your retake, obviously.. but schools that average them will obviously be less impressed than schools that look at your most recent score only.

I don't think any doors are closed to you at all. If you want to attend a top research school, apply. Even the schools that average your scores will likely see you 'better' than a student who scored a 34.. but the student who scored a 36 on his only attempt may have an edge. Regardless, your MCAT score(s) won't be the reason you get rejected from any school by itself.

I don't think you'll have to 'defend' a retake of a 30 in secondaries or in interviews, but be prepared for the question. It should be pretty simple. You know your capabilities and knew you could do better than your initial attempt and you're happy that you were able to demonstrate exactly that on your retake. You also learned from the experience as to how you need to study in the future for maximum success (you really should know that.. and it's always nice to put positive spins on things). Don't bring up things like you couldn't sleep the night before.. that doesn't leave the impression that you learned from the experience and are a better student because of it. That just sounds like natural anxiety that every pre-med (and doctor) has to conquer.

As far as MD/PhD, if you're asking because that's an interest of yours.. then go for it. Your score is good enough and it sounds like the rest of your application is there. If you're asking because of your high MCAT score possibly opening that door for you, then.. no.

Also, 38 isn't the top 1%, is it? I thought the 99th percentile started at 39.. not that it matters too much ;)

Great score.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Each school has their own policies on how they treat retakes. No school will look down on your retake, obviously.. but schools that average them will obviously be less impressed than schools that look at your most recent score only.

I don't think any doors are closed to you at all. If you want to attend a top research school, apply. Even the schools that average your scores will likely see you 'better' than a student who scored a 34.. but the student who scored a 36 on his only attempt may have an edge. Regardless, your MCAT score(s) won't be the reason you get rejected from any school by itself.

I don't think you'll have to 'defend' a retake of a 30 in secondaries or in interviews, but be prepared for the question. It should be pretty simple. You know your capabilities and knew you could do better than your initial attempt and you're happy that you were able to demonstrate exactly that on your retake. You also learned from the experience as to how you need to study in the future for maximum success (you really should know that.. and it's always nice to put positive spins on things). Don't bring up things like you couldn't sleep the night before.. that doesn't leave the impression that you learned from the experience and are a better student because of it. That just sounds like natural anxiety that every pre-med (and doctor) has to conquer.

As far as MD/PhD, if you're asking because that's an interest of yours.. then go for it. Your score is good enough and it sounds like the rest of your application is there. If you're asking because of your high MCAT score possibly opening that door for you, then.. no.

Also, 38 isn't the top 1%, is it? I thought the 99th percentile started at 39.. not that it matters too much ;)

Great score.

He might've missed 99th percentile by like 0.2% points, :p.

They won't think anything of this. I increased my MCAT by over 5 points as well, one school just asked me how I prepared for it the 2nd time around. I got into the school that asked me.

Most schools take the highest set of scores. Some schools average them. SDN does not have an accurate list of which schools do which, but 34 is still a really good score.

ok... :D

Attachments

• u da man.jpg
    u da man.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 31

Just because you scored a 38 MCAT doesn't mean that you should automatically apply M.D./Ph.D. - they are not just gimme programs for top 1% MCAT scorers. The schools are looking for decently motivated individuals who have a serious interest in being an MSTP and eventually a physician scientist.

You said you have pubs that's great. But your motivation for MD/PhD has to be much more than scoring top 1% on the MCAT.

Best,

Most won't care. However, do note that they most likely will ask what you did the second time around to increase your score by that much. Not that it's a bad thing, just be ready for that question.