31/3.63

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thruthewire

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a reapplicant who had 3 MD interviews last cycle, currently waitlisted at 2, outright rejected from 1. My GPA went down my senior year due to a C in biochemistry. I shouldn't have taken biochemistry in the midst of the application cycle, seeing as I was not able to give it my all. The C is worrying the hell out of me, as is a relative lack of development my senior year of college. This year I'll be volunteering at a local hospital and working as a research assistant for a gastroenterologist. I'm also thinking of retaking biochemistry at a local college, something I haven't been able to get a clear answer as to whether it is a good or bad idea.

I guess I'm wondering, if I wasn't able to get in last cycle with a somewhat higher GPA, am I dead in the water this cycle? I was told a lack of clinical exposure raised some concerns with admissions committees.

Members don't see this ad.

FWIW, I have a 11VR, 11PS, 9BS.

I had interviews at SUNY Upstate+Buffalo+NYMC last cycle. I was put on hold at Upstate, remain on Buffalo's wait list (which hardly seems to be moving), and rejected at NYMC. I'm still hell bent on going to a SUNY, especially Buffalo. Is this even a possibility anymore?

If biochem is a prereq at any of the schools you're applying to, and they ask you to retake any Cs you got in your prereq courses, then you obviously should do as they ask. Otherwise, no, I don't think it makes sense to retake it. A 3.6 GPA is already reasonably competitive for allo admissions, as is a 31 MCAT.

It sounds like you're focusing on the wrong thing here. Someone already told you that the major issue with your app was your lack of clinical experience. So instead of fretting about one C in one class, what you should be focusing on is improving your clinical experience as much as possible. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you had a "relative lack of development" during your senior year. You mean no ECs? Again, if poor ECs is the issue, then focus on improving your ECs! Along with the activities you've proposed, both of which sound fine, you might also consider taking on a non-clinical volunteering gig. I always liked applicants with teaching or tutoring experience in particular. But any consistent involvement with a community organization or cause that is meaningful to you is good.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
^very helpful. Thank you so much.

Yeah, that's what I meant by lack of development.

Thanks so much, everyone. I truly appreciate all of your input

I've even been toying with the idea of retaking the MCAT in November, hopefully shooting 3-4 points higher, retaking biochemistry in spring 2015, then reapplying for the 2016 application cycle. Waste of time, or worthwhile?

Have you already submitted your application this year for 2015 matriculation? If not, it isn't a bad idea to sit this one out and try to have a stronger application in the next cycle. The area most in need of strengthening is clinical/research and you are doing that.

I have already submitted it. My plan was to mention what I've been doing in my secondaries. Another problem- I don't know how much weight that will hold.

Consensus: C in biochem is bad and will raise eyebrows, but is not the lethal injection I think it is?

Members don't see this ad :)
Another thing, I'm not 100% sure about my list of schools. Should I add any to these? I'll asterisk which ones I'm a reapp to, and ! the schools I had interviewed at. My app should be verified in a few days.

Albany*
Creighton
Drexel*
EVMS
MCW
Meharry
NYMC*!
Downstate*
Stony Brook
Buffalo*!
Upstate*!
TCMC

Here's a small, helpful link from Miami Miller about reapplicants.

http://admissions.med.miami.edu/md-programs/general-md/reapplicants

The key here is that re-applicants need "significant" improvement. Even if you were very close to an acceptance last cycle (which you were with 3 interviews), you will need "significant" improvement, or you risk failing a second time, which makes it that much harder to get in later. So, ask yourself, is your application significantly improved from last time? It sounds like your stats are about the same, so what experiences did you add or continue? Also, did you not submit your primary yet? If not, your application is going to be pretty late. If you submit today, you won't be verified until probably September. Not a deal-breaker, but it's a disadvantage.

EDIT: just saw you already submitted. Why do people ask for application advice AFTER they already applied?

Another thing, I'm not 100% sure about my list of schools. Should I add any to these? I'll asterisk which ones I'm a reapp to, and ! the schools I had interviewed at. My app should be verified in a few days.

Albany*
Creighton
Drexel*
EVMS
MCW
Meharry
NYMC*!
Downstate*
Stony Brook
Buffalo*!
Upstate*!
TCMC
You need at least a dozen schools near your stats where you stand a good chance at an interview. Re ap schools and Meharry don't count toward your dozen.

I'm assuming you're a NYer?

My list

Albany*
Creighton
Drexel*
EVMS
MCW
NYMC*!
Downstate*
Stony Brook
Buffalo*!
Upstate*!
TCMC
Hofstra
Rowan/Cooper
Wake Forest
Tulane
Rush
Rosy Franklin
VCU
Va Tech
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Tufts
Jefferson
Temple
SLU
U VT (maybe)
Quinnipiac
Penn State

Here's a small, helpful link from Miami Miller about reapplicants.

http://admissions.med.miami.edu/md-programs/general-md/reapplicants

The key here is that re-applicants need "significant" improvement. Even if you were very close to an acceptance last cycle (which you were with 3 interviews), you will need "significant" improvement, or you risk failing a second time, which makes it that much harder to get in later. So, ask yourself, is your application significantly improved from last time? It sounds like your stats are about the same, so what experiences did you add or continue? Also, did you not submit your primary yet? If not, your application is going to be pretty late. If you submit today, you won't be verified until probably September. Not a deal-breaker, but it's a disadvantage.

EDIT: just saw you already submitted. Why do people ask for application advice AFTER they already applied?

Mostly because at this point, I'm honestly pretty lost as to where the hell I'm going. My "improvement" comes in the form of added clinical exposure, doing some research, and hopefully landing a tutoring gig. But no, I hear what you're saying. To be honest, even with all that I've convinced myself I'll be improving my app with, I'm not sure how much weight it'll hold. Hopefully it'll work out. I'm applying DO this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
If biochem is a prereq at any of the schools you're applying to, and they ask you to retake any Cs you got in your prereq courses, then you obviously should do as they ask. Otherwise, no, I don't think it makes sense to retake it. A 3.6 GPA is already reasonably competitive for allo admissions, as is a 31 MCAT.

It sounds like you're focusing on the wrong thing here. Someone already told you that the major issue with your app was your lack of clinical experience. So instead of fretting about one C in one class, what you should be focusing on is improving your clinical experience as much as possible. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you had a "relative lack of development" during your senior year. You mean no ECs? Again, if poor ECs is the issue, then focus on improving your ECs! Along with the activities you've proposed, both of which sound fine, you might also consider taking on a non-clinical volunteering gig. I always liked applicants with teaching or tutoring experience in particular. But any consistent involvement with a community organization or cause that is meaningful to you is good.

This is great advice. Also, given the OP had 3 interviews and no acceptances, I would focus on interview performance - make sure you get practice and honest advice about your interviewing skills

This is great advice. Also, given the OP had 3 interviews and no acceptances, I would focus on interview performance - make sure you get practice and honest advice about your interviewing skills

No way. Not with these looks

(duly noted. I'm certain you're right about the lackluster interviewing skills. I learned the hard way being socially adept is different from being a good interviewee)

So I'm in the interview phase of getting a job as a Kaplan SAT tutor. Should I include this in the "what are you doing in 2014-2015" prompt, or just send in an update later if I get the job?

I'm deathly afraid of getting no interviews this time around. Oh well, I guess only time will tell.

Creighton loves to see non-clinical volunteering. Make sure they're aware of community service type volunteering that you're committed to. Gl

Would anyone be willing to tell me whether I should send in an update or something explaining my poor performance in biochem?

Would anyone be willing to tell me whether I should send in an update or something explaining my poor performance in biochem?

Personally I would not draw attention to it. a C in biochemistry isn't a death sentence and as adcom member LizzyM has said on sdn before, it's basically like a zit; better to just ignore it rather than draw any added attention to it. If you are going to send an update it should be about your continued interest in the school, why it's a good fit, and any other positive things you have been up to (update on new good grades or any new volunteer, clinical or research work,etc).