31; 3.94

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mm2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Just took the MCAT and got a 31 (12 BS, 11 PS, 8 VR). My GPA is a 3.94 (2 Bs). I am a Texas resident.
I got a M.S. in O-Chem from UC Berkeley and finished my PhD in biochem at UT Southwestern. I want to get into a good school. I am looking at Baylor and UT Southwestern and some Chicago school.
I did some volunteer work teaching inner-city 1st graders about science and I shadowed doctors twice (2 times for about a week each).
The negative is that I took the MCAT some 6 years ago and got a 28. While that score will not affect this application round, I did apply to Texas schools. I got interviews at the less competitive Texas schools, but did not take the interview because I want to go to a top school. So, I am a re-applicant.
I plan on applying to Baylor, UTSW, UT Houston, UT San Antonio, Tulane, U Chicago, Northwestern and Loyola.
Thoughts?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any clinical experience or research? I do note that you have a doctorate, so I'd assume you're published. Did you teach undergrads as a grad student? It sounds like your ECs are pretty weak otherwise. However, I do note that you're from Texas, so that does increase your chances. The attitude about "good schools" is really repugnant, though. You should get over it. Most people with a 31 MCAT and poor ECs would be thrilled to get into any school.

If your ECs are as sparse as you outline, I think Northwestern is certainly a long shot for you with your stats. Loyola and Tulane are more likely, but you'd be average at best. U of Chicago is a school which really likes to see research, so if you're strong there, it does help, though your MCAT is low, from what I remember of their average stats. Your best bets are the Texas schools. I do think it is foolish to not apply to all of them, though. (Well, perhaps not the ones you've already snubbed.)

Hmmm... I have a ton of research. 2 publications.
I have a lot of ECs. I have taught inner-city 1st graders about science. Mentored an undergraduate during grad school. Volunteered for a youth group. Shadowed a pediatrician and internal medicine doctor.
You must not be from Texas though. Some of the schools are in locations I would not go to. One reason is that my wife has to match a residency and two, the locations are not desirable.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm... I have a ton of research. 2 publications.
I have a lot of ECs. I have taught inner-city 1st graders about science. Mentored an undergraduate during grad school. Volunteered for a youth group. Shadowed a pediatrician and internal medicine doctor.
You must not be from Texas though. Some of the schools are in locations I would not go to. One reason is that my wife has to match a residency and two, the locations are not desirable.
Thanks

Do you have any clinical volunteering or other experience working with patients? Shadowing unfortunately doesn't count.

To appeal to the highly-selective schools on your list, you'll need a stronger MCAT score and likely a higher VS, unless English isn't your first language. You also need clinical experience where you interact with sick people, which shadowing doesn't cover. You might consider expanding your focus to more AMCAS schools in cities where where there are multiple residency programs, besides Chicago.

Since you're at UTSW, have you considered meeting with the dean of the med school there to get an opinion on your application and chances? Your stats are very close to the median of their acceptees. You'd be in good shape for Houstan and San Antonio, stats-wise, too.

Last edited:
Hey,
Just took the MCAT and got a 31 (12 BS, 11 PS, 8 VR). My GPA is a 3.94 (2 Bs). I am a Texas resident.
I got a M.S. in O-Chem from UC Berkeley and finished my PhD in biochem at UT Southwestern. I want to get into a good school. I am looking at Baylor and UT Southwestern and some Chicago school.
I did some volunteer work teaching inner-city 1st graders about science and I shadowed doctors twice (2 times for about a week each).
The negative is that I took the MCAT some 6 years ago and got a 28. While that score will not affect this application round, I did apply to Texas schools. I got interviews at the less competitive Texas schools, but did not take the interview because I want to go to a top school. So, I am a re-applicant.
I plan on applying to Baylor, UTSW, UT Houston, UT San Antonio, Tulane, U Chicago, Northwestern and Loyola.
Thoughts?
Thanks

i have a question; why do a doctorate if you want to go to medical school? this is not meant as an invective; just curious about this phenomenon

i have a question; why do a doctorate if you want to go to medical school? this is not meant as an invective; just curious about this phenomenon

Just so you know, OP, this is something you'll have to explain to each school at your interviews.

Hey,
Thoughts?
Thanks

This was silly. I can understand having to go where your wife can match, but the desire to go to a "top school"?? I wouldn't put Tulane head and shoulders above Texas Tech, for instance. Rankings and reputation are usually subjective. I can't imagine turning down interview invitations though...why did you even apply to those schools to begin with?

As others have said, the VR 8 is hurting you at places like UTSW and Baylor especially. That might put you in about the 10th%-ile for accepted students IIRC. You need to get that up to 10 if possible.

And, I thought I would hate Lubbock and El Paso...I was pleasantly surprised. I can understand not caring for A&M's locations though. Maybe you've spent considerable time in West Texas, and have already made your mind up.

And what about UTMB?? Quality school not far from Houston. Quality residencies as well.