31 MCAT (10 10 11) 3.55 bcpm 3.58 cgpa top 20 liberal arts college AmeriCorps during postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frochocinco

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
NY Resident (white male)
31 MCAT (10 10 11)
3.55 bcpm (3.7 after freshman year)
3.58 cgpa (3.7 after freshman year)
top 20 liberal arts college
AmeriCorps during postbac
500+ hours of research
Volunteer Ambulence corps

Any thoughts on my list? Thanks very much...I'd be happy to provide more details on work/activities.

Stony Brook (NY)

Upstate (NY)

Buffalo (NY)

Downstate (NY)

Columbia (NY)

NYU (NY)

Mount Sinai (NY)

Rochester (NY)

Albert Einstein (NY)

NY Med (NY)

Albany (NY)

Hofstra (NY)

Case Western

Tufts

Jefferson

Penn St

Temple

Drexel

Commonwealth

Georgetown

George Washington

Dartmouth

Alpert (Brown)

Virginia Commonwealth

Quinnipiac

Loyola

UVM

Tulane

Members don't see this ad.

Looks solid my fellow NY brother.

Although my only comment would be to remove brown unless you have connections or a SUPER strong commitment/fit for then as the majority of their class is their own undergrads or compensatory programs they've established.

my main reason for applying there is the person who had my AmeriCorps position prior to me was accepted and is now a student there. hoping that is enough to get me in the door for an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else have any input? I know the GPA is on the low end but there's a strong upward trend and despite an average MCAT, I did get double digits in all three sections. Plus, I've been told I have very strong EC's

I'd be over the moon getting into any of the NY public schools, but am curious about my chances for getting interviews for my OOS.

Thanks

You should get some interviews at NY state schools, however for the OOS schools it will likely be a crapshoot due to your average stats.

As I'm sure you're aware, Columbia, Sinai, NYU, and Case are big reaches but you never know if your have great ECs.

Thanks very much for your input. Yes, I realize my OOS will be crapshoots and that those four are definitely big reaches. As you said, I'm banking on my updward trend in GPA, very strong ECs and LOR's (according to my advisor writing my committee letter) and the fact that I've already submitted my AMCAS app and will almost certainly be verified by June 28 when AMCAS starts sending apps out to schools.

As long as I have a fighting chance, that's all I can really ask for.

One more question/factor to consider...despite my plethora of both research labs and hours, I have yet to publish. Over the next year during this fun waiting getting (submitted AMCAS June 4th for this cycle), there is a possibility that I get up to 3 peer-reviewed articles published (1 literature review, 1 retrospective clinical HIV study--2nd author, 1 wearable health technology study). Unfortunately the timing didn't work out that they were done before the AMCAS app was due, but if they are published in the coming months, does anybody know the best way to go about "updating" the application and letting the ADCOM's know??

From what I've been told, publications are not make or break, but even if I get 1 published, it could be very beneficial to my app.

Thanks

bump...i'm really curious how important these are to my app and the best way to get them included in my application file.

thank you