31 mcat, 3.57 overall, 3.51 science, non trad, need advice on targeted approach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hwirth19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-Non-traditional, undergraduate degree in History with honors University of Notre Dame.
-3 years now in the professional world, where I have NOT worked for pay in the healthcare industry. 7 months as a fourth grade teacher, then rest of the time in other profession, all 40+ hours a week. Now in a management position.
-Obtained my pre-reqs in the Science in the Evening Program at UMD and did some while still at undergrad institution. Basic sciences completed only, no upper-level biology.
-31 mcat (10 bio, 10 phys, 11 verbal)
-3.57 overall gpa, 3.51 science

Medical/HealthCare EC's
-summer between junior/senior year i worked as a research assistant at UNC school of medicine in department of pediatrics, ~20 hours a week on two clinical studies. This also included clinical shadowing
-100 hours+ in Emergency Department at Johns Hopkins as patient representative and occasional observer of procedures and care

Non-medical EC's:
-volunteer head coach at YMCA for middle school coed basketball team one season (winter 2011)
-volunteer youth program coach at YMCA for toddler/kids mixed sports class 5 hours a week for winter 2011
-volunteer running partner for a program that pairs unaffected people with young adult cancer survivors to train for and then complete a 5k race (summer 2012, 5 hours a week)

the list, in no particular order:

Vermont
East Carolina (NC Resident)
UNC (NC Resident, great family connections--Stepson of former Dean of Medicine, been guaranteed an interview by a current Dean. Nepotism at its finest and a professional courtesy to my stepfather, but an interview doesn't mean anything given that school's applicant pool)
WFU
VCU
Eastern VA
Jefferson
Miami THE U
Cincinnati
GW
Georgetown
Indiana

thoughts on my list? Its small. I'm debating between the above targeted list (with a backup plan of waiting until 2015 cycle, retaking MCAT, strengthening clinical care ECs) or just going on an all out attack and adding:

Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Drexel
New York Medical college
Maryland
Loyola
Tufts
Boston U
Saint Louis
Ohio State

What do yee think?

Members don't see this ad.

All out attack if you have the money. In my opinion, it's worth spending the extra money if it means you don't have to wait another year. I wouldn't retake the MCAT - your's is very balanced and is the 83rd percentile.

With the below-avg MCAT (well, by a point) you should drop the public schools (except VCU) as they favor the home team and you need to be above avg for them.

My suggested list

East Carolina
UNC
WFU
VCU
Eastern VA
Jefferson
Miami THE U
GW
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Drexel
New York Medical college
Loyola
Tufts
Boston U
Saint Louis
Temple
Albany
Creighton
MCW
ALL new MD programs
Campbell COM, VA-CAM, Pikeville-COM (all in your backyard)