MD 31 MCAT 3.71 cGPA 3.78 sGPA. NY. Should I even apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJB420

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome! I am currently in my 3rd year of a combined MD / undergrad 8 year program and am wondering if it would be worth it to apply to other schools as well. I had dreams of going to a top 10 but my MCAT didn't go as well as I was expecting. Do you think I still have a chance of getting in? And are those chances worth beginning the application process instead of just taking my time and going into my own school (33 average MCAT).

MCAT: 31 (10/10/11) =(
Major: Engineering Science with a concentration of bioengineering. Full honors from the honors program on that too.
Minors: Math, Physics, Spanish, Biochemistry.
GPA: 3.71 cGPA 3.78 sGPA
Demographic: 21, white, male, born in US.

Research: Cell and Tissue Engineering
1st author in medium impact journal. "Worst" author in very high impact journal. 1st author on conference poster presentation at a large society meeting (>5000 presentations). 2nd author medium impact journal. "Worst" author on short paper in low impact journal.

Awards:
Pending Goldwater Scholar. Various minor scholarships and local research fellowships. Nothing to write home about.

Clinical:
~100 hours volunteering at local hospital with certificate of completion.
~50 hours shadowing emergency room physician who is a family friend and wrote me a good letter.

Activities:
Social fraternity president. Resident assistant (3 years).

Letters:
PI of my lab and I are very close and he's been revising my letter for years. Very prominent scientist from top 10 med school wrote a letter from when we did that very high impact paper. Emergency medicine physician from when I was shadowing him.

Strong Points:
I am very good in interviews and speak well, especially about my research. I am fluent in Spanish and can have conversations in Russian. I am proficient in cell culture, various molecular analysis, flow cytometry, bioreactor design, and various microscopy including SEM and AFM.

Also, I was thinking of possibly taking the MCAT again but I don't know any psychology. I didn't want to include this but what really burns me is that I got a 41 on AAMC 8 a week before my test date.

Edit: Took out possibly identifying details

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You would be a gigantic ***** if you were to leave a guaranteed seat at a U.S. M.D. school to try your chances elsewhere with a 31 MCAT.

You're a bright guy as evidenced by your acceptance to a combined program. This would be an unwise choice.

Reactions: 1 users
I cannot imagine the time/money/anxiety associated with withdrawing and applying as being worth it.

Two 'what if's':
1) You get in somewhere better (cheaper? name? location?)...
2) You don't get in and you regret your decision immeasurably...

Are the likely (assuming you get accepted) benefits worth the potential risk? Your stats seem good but I don't know what you really have to gain unless you're a superstar or currently at the lowest of the low in terms of institution.

Last edited: