31 yr old Non Trad 3.0 Top 3 Ivy - 2nd Bachelor's + TX Fresh Start vs. Formal Post Bacc? Any chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

careerchanger77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure which forum this best belongs in, but I'll try posting it here since I am pre-MD:
--
Hi fellow forumers! I'm a 31 (almost 32) yr old Non Traditional aspiring pre-med who has been lurking for awhile, getting educated on the many helpful threads, and am looking for some advice on what to do next.

After a lucrative but unfulfilling decade-long corporate career, I'm interested in becoming a doctor as a 2nd career and have been vetting this option over the past months through shadowing, volunteering, talking with friends in medicine, etc. I am aware of the amount of work this entails (2-3 years of post-bacc classes + a possibly glide year for applications) + 4 years of medical school + 4 or more years of residency.... and that I likely won't be done with med school until I am almost 40 and will finish residency in my early 40s. (I'll likely also be earning less as a primary care doc than I do in my corporate job, but I'll be happy.)

However, my questionable undergraduate stats and lack of any science classes seem to be a problem, and I'm currently trying to figure out what to do next to make my dream of becoming a doctor happen. Unfortunately, doing well in classes as a pre-business student was low on my priority list, and I threw my time into internships, interviewing, networking, extracurriculars (basically anything but making an effort to study properly), and my grades are now sub-par. On the other hand, I am somewhat confident I can do well when I actually try. I graduated high school with a 4.3 at the top of my class at a competitive school with a Perfect SAT score, so I know I'm good at taking tests and can do well when I put in effort. However, from reading SDN and talking with friends in med school, it sounds like poor undergrad stats (no matter how long ago) may potentially be a limiting factor and keep me out of med school.

Fellow SDN-ers, what would you do with these stats to work with?

Summary of my info and stats:
-31 (almost 32) yr old, Female
-work experience: successful past 10 years in business / corporate roles at tech companies, at a director level since age 26 and has managed teams of 12+ employees. Pursuing MD as 2nd career (career change)
-B.A. in a non-science degree at a Top 3 Ivy League University in 2006
-University Official Transcript shows 3.2 GPA; however, with my preliminary AMCAS calculations (counting repeated classes twice, converting quarter to semester units, etc.) shows what looks like a AMCAS cGPA of 3.0 (yikes) and no real sGPA to speak of (only took 1 stats class and received a 3.0 in it, but I can still improve this)
-126 semester credit hours completed using AMCAS conversion chart (190 quarter system credit hours)
-started volunteering, shadowing, etc. but has no research experience yet
-Would strongly prefer MD for several reasons after careful research (snobbery is not one of them)
-Not married (in long term relationship; significant other is supportive), no mortgage or debts (unless you count rental properties I own for side income), and can fortunately finance post bacc and med school using savings if accepted without taking out loans
-No real science or math classes yet. I did take 1 stats class in college.... not sure if that counts. There was also a Pass/Fail linear algebra class I took (passed), AP credit in Calc and Physics from high school (I don't think I actually remember anything after so many years). Basically, I'm starting from scratch as far as required classes go.
-Texas resident (this is relevant to the Academic Fresh Start clause mentioned below where I can basically discard my undergrad GPA for Texas med school apps)

I've been struggling with figuring out the best course of action to make my dream of a 2nd career in medicine become a reality. Here are what I think are my options:

1. Option A: 2nd Bachelor's + Academic Fresh Start (90+ new credits in 3 or 4 yrs depending on full vs part time. Full time likely in 3), applying MD: Declare Academic Fresh Start (so all grades >10 years ago don't count under my GPA - https://www.tmdsas.com/medical/texasAcFrshStrt.html)and Do a DIY Post-Bacc as at a local public university in Texas. Would need 90 NEW semester credit hours (around 3-4 years of additional school depending on if I go full or part time) due to Academic Fresh Start policy, since I would lose all course credit from my 1st bachelor's (though having earned the degree will still show up.

PROS:
-Can literally start over with a clean slate by Texas law and achieve an up to 4.0 cGPA and sGPA if I study and can get the grades. However, Fresh Start's way of reporting grades is only good for the TMDSAS app for Texas public medical schools (there are 7-8 of them, not including Baylor which is private). My cGPA would still show my undergrad grades. If I get a 4.0 for 90 semester units in my 2nd bachelor's, my cGPA for AMCAS will likely only be around a 3.42. This path would maximize my chances of getting into MD schools in TX... but will this GPA be enough to have a shot at private out of state schools...?

CONS:
-Additional 1, maybe 2 years of post bacc coursework to meet the 90 hour requirement after declaring Academic Fresh Start. Takes 3 yrs to complete post bacc instead of 2... 4 years if I only do classes part time while working and don't do a full load each semester. Will I also need a glide year...? This means I will be 34-35 yrs old when applying to med school and ~36 when matriculating if all goes well and graduating around 40. Would I be too old / would the extra year or two be worth it in exchange for the clean slate on Texas GPA and potential for an unblemished near or perfect 4.0 on Texas med school apps?

2. Option B: DIY Post Bacc at Local State University in 2-2.5 years without Academic Fresh Start, looking to apply MD
PROS: Only take 2-2.5 years to complete pre-med required classes, saves a bit on tuition (Texas tuition is around $6k per semester, for reference)
CONS:
-Would AMCAS ad comms look unfavorably or negatively upon the fact that I attend a "perceived less rigorous" program if I go to a local state 4 yr university? (I don't want to be seen as a "cop-out" after having gotten my BA and performed poorly at a top 3 undergrad by ad comms, though I personally think a great education can be gotten at a state school as well and don't get too hung up on "prestige" myself...but ad comms might?)
-I would be more limited as to how much I can raise my GPA, since my undergrad GPA would count on both AMCAS nationwide and TDMSAS Texas med school apps. Max GPAs possible (assuming 4.0 in all classes from now on, which may or may not actually happen):
-If 35 new semester hours taken: 3.22 cGPA (*assuming I did the AMCAS calcs correctly)
-If 45 new hrs: 3.25 cGPA
-If 55 new hrs: 3.31 cGPA
-If 65 new hrs: 3.35 cGPA
...though would 2-2.5 yrs be enough to get the new subjects on the MCAT in, as well? (Sociology, Psychology, Stats, etc.)

3. Option C: Formal Post Bacc for Career Changers (Out of State) 2-2.5 yrs without Academic Fresh Start, looking to apply MD
PROS:
-Same as above, less years before being eligible to apply for med school
-Possible "perceived" benefit by AdComs at having been at a formal post bacc program that may be deemed "more rigorous" (ex: Harvard Extension / HES, Upenn, Columbia post bacc, etc.)
-Possible linkages.... though I'm not sure if my undergrad GPA would rule me out completely as a candidate for linkage. I notice a lot of the linkages have min undergrad GPA requirements that are higher than my AMCAS one
CONS:
-Possibly slightly more expensive due to out of state cost of living and relocation
-Need to move out of state temporarily for post bacc (not sure if I would still be eligible for Texas residency when I apply to med schools later)
------

So that's my situation and my options. To any experienced SDNers who took the time to read my post, thanks so much in advance for reading and for your advice. I greatly appreciate any opinions from those who have been in similar situations or are more knowledgeable regarding med school admissions and post bacc programs.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Members don't see this ad.

It may actually be Top 1 Ivy or not... I kept it deliberately vague in order to protect anonymity and didn't want to state the name of my school ;) Sadly, I've ruled out DO and Caribbean after much careful research and consideration for a number of personal reasons - it'd have to be MD for me.

I only mention that I went to a Top 3 school because I'm not sure if Ad Comms are more "lenient" when it comes to a low GPA from a highly ranked school. (I'm thinking probably not, but I guess you never know!)

Summary: Basically, I can take 3-4 years on Post Bacc with Academic Fresh Start Law in Texas and really start over with a true 4.0 cGPA if I go that route and get all 4.0s (my old undergrad gets erased since >10 years ago) but be older when I apply... or take 2-2.5 years on Post Bacc without Academic Fresh Start and end with a 3.2-3.33 cGPA if I get 4.0 in all classes and be relatively younger than Option A when I apply.

Last edited:
It may actually be Top 1 Ivy or not... I kept it deliberately vague in order to protect anonymity and didn't want to state the name of my school ;) Sadly, I've ruled out DO and Caribbean after much careful research and consideration for a number of personal reasons - it'd have to be MD for me.

I only mention that I went to a Top 3 school because I'm not sure if Ad Comms are more "lenient" when it comes to a low GPA from a highly ranked school. (I'm thinking probably not, but I guess you never know!)

Summary: Basically, I can take 3-4 years on Post Bacc with Academic Fresh Start Law in Texas and really start over with a true 4.0 cGPA if I go that route and get all 4.0s (my old undergrad gets erased since >10 years ago) but be older when I apply... or take 2-2.5 years on Post Bacc without Academic Fresh Start and end with a 3.2-3.33 cGPA if I get 4.0 in all classes and be relatively younger than Option A when I apply.
Your alma mater helps.

I would do the Tx option. Tx med schools are 1/3 the cost of private med schools, which is huge if you arent planning on finishing residency until 42-45ish. If you have no science classes, you are looking at 2 yrs of post-bac at least. Might as well do one more year (don't let it take 4 yrs)
Can you get started this fall though? I wouldn't waste another year and would get things in motion now

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you're very set on the MD (Of which I too am curious as to why no DO?) then your best bet is to do the fresh start and only apply to TX because everyone outside of TX will see those GPAs and combine them and that will weaken your app

Good Luck

Why rule out DO schools?
She needs to take all the science courses. She could do the texas program and go MD in the same time as going DO

Eg. Taking pre-req + retaking undergrad course for DO= 3yrs.2 yrs at the very least. Doing 2nd BA in Texas= 3yrs and you can apply to

Tx schools are also less than half the cost of DO, so it isn't even financially beneficial to start a DO program 1 yr earlier

My first concern is only a top 3 ivy... Why not top 1 ivy?? Probably your biggest limiting factor and you might have to go Caribbean. You're also the perfect DO candidate!
Cuz the top 1 school usually isn't an Ivy in the "All Schools" list

OP: how about doing the DIY postbacc (I really don't think there's an advantage to a formal one unless you get one with linkage) and apply, but continue taking classes in your glide year so that you are prepared to go Fresh Start should the cycle go badly.

Keep in mind that med schools will see both your postbacc gpa and your science gpa in addition to your cumulative. If you rock your postbacc, that difference may be enough for some to look more closely despite your low cGPA, and fortunately your age and distance from your poor undergrad performance do the explaining for you. It's quite fortunate that you didn't take much science in undergrad, actually.

If you score well enough on the MCAT, you may have some luck after only the postbacc, especially as TX in state...and if not, you're still most of the way towards a Fresh Start application.

Last edited:
Make sure you beef up your resume enough- don't get too smug with "brand name" school pulling all your weight. It only opens doors when you got everything else going.

Here are your options right now:

1 year of grade replacement --> DO (this means you'll probably start med school in 3 years, factoring in time for MCAT and application cycle)

Fresh start --> TX MD (this means you'll probably start med school in 4 years and will more or less have a guaranteed spot as long as you do well)

post bacc --> ????? risky because a 3.4 GPA is going to be on the low low low end and even though you're a "great test taker" you have no idea what will happen with your MCAT score which will be a major determinant here

You can't afford to be choosy here. Texas has some amazing medical schools. Don't give up the chance to go to medical school at all because you think you're too good for your state schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for weighing in. Unfortunately, I haven't taken a single science course in college (except for an AP Physics course from high school, which was over 14 years ago) or any math classes for that matter (tested out of them with AP Calculus BC in high school, as well)..... so the DO route would be just as long as the MD route. The poor grades I received were in non-science courses.

I'd love to go to a Texas school, in fact, and tuition is (relatively) affordable for residents. I definitely don't think I'm "too good" for my state schools at all.... in fact, I'm worried that I may not even get in. No "smugness" about coming from a "brand name" school here either....if anything, undergrad was an extremely humbling experience, and I'm prepared to be further humbled during the potential pre-med journey if I undertake it. If I quit my 1st career to spend 2.5-4 yrs doing pre-reqs, though, for a shot at medicine, I'd also love to have some options for out of state schools if it's even possible with my AMCAS GPA (I've never lived on the East Coast but would have loved to, for instance) and to also make sure I have somewhere to go if I manage to not get into any of my state schools, too.

Thanks for those who chimed in re: the Academic Fresh Start option! Sounds like that may be a good one to continue thinking about even if it does end up taking another year. (Hopefully ad comms won't think I'm too old if I apply between age 35-36. It sounds like plenty of folks above that ages have gotten in on this forum. Has anyone experienced age discrimination during the admissions process before, though?)

Do you guys think ad comms care about how "rigorous" the post bacc school is vs. undergrad? I saw some conflicting opinions on this on another thread in this forum... not sure if it would be perceived negatively to have gone from a top undergrad to a "possibly perceived by ad comms as less rigorous" school for post bacc (not to say that the local school I may enroll in for post bacc is or isn't less rigorous... it could actually be plenty hard. My question is more around how ad comms regard it and if they'd think I couldn't hack it at a top school and "took an easier way out" in terms of not going to one of the "brand name post bacc" programs and doing pre reqs at a local school)