32 MCAT, 3.6 pre-transfer, 3.8 post-transfer, Where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JR2K

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had a PS 11, VR 11, BS 10 MCAT, had a 3.6 at my old school, just transferred to a great school where I got a 3.8 my first quarter (will probably be able to keep that up for the next two years). I've taken all of my pre-med req's already minus biochem with an avg. of ~3.5/3.6. I want to apply this summer, but to be honest, I have no idea how to select a diverse pool of schools. I'm going to be applying to some stretch schools that I know are a bit out of range (or a lot) like UCSF and most of the other UCs, but I want input on what are some more realistic options too. I know requesting lists of high/mid/low tier schools are useless, but given my stats, I think I need help compiling a list of stretch (UCs), good chance, and attainable schools.

Thanks so much for the help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Your numbers are good, keep increasing that GPA at your new school.

Are you a California resident? Depending on where you live, UC Davis and Riverside may be more attainable; UCLA, UCIrvine, UCSD, and UCSF will be reaches.

You should buy an MSAR and make a list of schools that have medians close to your MCAT/GPA; private schools will be best because they have less in-state preference.

Had a PS 11, VR 11, BS 10 MCAT, had a 3.6 at my old school, just transferred to a great school where I got a 3.8 my first quarter (will probably be able to keep that up for the next two years). I've taken all of my pre-med req's already minus biochem with an avg. of ~3.5/3.6. I want to apply this summer, but to be honest, I have no idea how to select a diverse pool of schools. I'm going to be applying to some stretch schools that I know are a bit out of range (or a lot) like UCSF and most of the other UCs, but I want input on what are some more realistic options too. I know requesting lists of high/mid/low tier schools are useless, but given my stats, I think I need help compiling a list of stretch (UCs), good chance, and attainable schools.

Thanks so much for the help! :)
All CA applicants apply to the CA schools (however improbable their chances). It's normal. You may want to consider at least eliminating Loma Linda (unless you are committed to serving Christ as a primary component of your medical career). If you have no connection to the IE, it's probably not worth the $ and effort to apply for one of the 25 available spots open to nonUCR undergrads at UCR. You can consider all the rest of the CA schools stretches just because of the sheer numbers of qualified IS candidates.

You need to purchase the MSAR and identify about a dozen OOS schools with an MCAT median near yours that take a significant number of OOS candidates. They tend to be private e.g. Albany, SLU,Temple...

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a similar trajectory and from what I understand, you're going to look like a ~3.7 student. They don't see your seperate GPAs at each institution. They see your GPA for each year, so they will see a trend if they even look into it at all. I have to remind myself this because I did much better at university compared to community (mostly due to a change in my mindset), but they won't quite get this exact picture. However, if you apply to programs (like grad school, internships, so on, just not med school), then I think your upperdivision GPA is what you are supposed to report.

Look into: Temple, Jefferson, Drexel, TCMC, Einstein, Albany, NYMC, Hofstra, Rosalind Franklin, Rush, Loyola, St. Louis, VCU, VTech.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user