About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.
  2. Free Financial Webinar with White Coat Investor! Monday evening at 7:00 PM EDT, hear about the Top 5 Financial Considerations for Starting Residents from White Coat Investor's Dr. James Dahle. Register here. Hope to see you there!

#325 - EK Physics: Math Error?

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by ilovemcat, Jan 18, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. ilovemcat

ilovemcat

Pre-Medical

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I'm have trouble trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong here:

The question states:

A 2 kg ball is thrown upwards with a speed of 40 m/s. At what height will the ball be, when its kinetic energy is equal to its potential energy?

I know that during half the trip (half the height), Potential Energy = Kinetic Energy. In order to solve for height, I use one of the kinematic equations.

But here's where the problem lies, I get two different answers using different equations but can't seem to understand why. They should be equal regardless.

h = hi + vit + .5at^2
    h = 0m + (40m/s)(4s) + (5 m/s)(4^2)
    h = 240 meters

or using this equation:

vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ah and solving for 2
    2gh = vi^2
    2(10m/s)h =1600 (m/s)^2
    h = 1600 (m/s)^2 / 20
    h =80 meters

Any idea what I'm doing wrong to get different answers?
  2. ilovemcat

ilovemcat

Pre-Medical
    By the way, the correct answer is 40 meters. (half of 80 meters)
  3. ilovemcat

ilovemcat

Pre-Medical
    Ah, nevermind! I just realized I forgot to subtract in the first kinematic equation (160 - 80). I need to rest my brain. I've been working too hard today lol.
  4. shffl

shffl

Remember acceleration is a negative number. If you used -10m/s^2, then your answer would be h = 80m as well
  5. TwoPaddles

TwoPaddles

I think the 2nd one saves much more time. At maximum height, final velocity is zero.
    vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ax
    vf=0
    x = vi^2 / 2a
    x = 1600 / 20 = 80m so this is the maximum height (all kinetic energy converted back to potential energy)

Halfway height is where KE = PE; 40m.