33 MCAt, 3.98 cGPA 3.95 science GPA,

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wacks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Texas resident What are my chances? Applying to Stanford as my "reach" school, don't know what kind of chance I have there, but overall i'm pretty balanced on EC's. Did 500 hours of shadowing a doctor, officer positions at school. Thanks.

(Applying to MD schools only pretty much. Reallllllly wanna get into Baylor or any other Houston schools. Would like to know my chances At Baylor and Stanford specifically, as well as the other houston schools).

Members don't see this ad.

In my non professional opinion, you have a good shot depending on your essays. My buddy is MD/phD at Baylor and from what I hear from him, Baylor really values research experience (of course this could be colored by him being an md/phd). I think you have a good shot at Standford if your essay is unique. Baylor too. Consider doing early decision

is it possible to do early decision? i'm applying this cycle, already submitted my app and they should be done verifying by now, and my scores are being submitted as we speak! and my essay.. i'm not sure how unique it is, it discusses my research experience my freshmen at the optometry school, my experience shadowing a doctor my sophomore year, and creating a new mentoring program at my school my junior year.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you VERY much for taking the time out to reply though.

is it possible to do early decision? i'm applying this cycle, already submitted my app and they should be done verifying by now, and my scores are being submitted as we speak! and my essay.. i'm not sure how unique it is, it discusses my research experience my freshmen at the optometry school, my experience shadowing a doctor my sophomore year, and creating a new mentoring program at my school my junior year.

Unfortunately the deadline was the 1st of this month. But you have some good stats. You are starting a little late, but it should not be a big issue with you stats. Its people like myself that require getting our application out immediately haha.

Good Luck and keep at it. I cannot say too much about Texas since its nothing I am experienced with. Its as if you guys are in a completely different world than everyone else. I would also try applying broadly outside Texas too though. Cannot hurt and you did apply a wee bit late so more so as a fallback is all.

You'll get into a TX school, most likely. There's nothing wrong with a few OOS aps but we tend to expect TX applicants to be low yield.

oh trust me i applied to a bunch of out of state as well! thank you all of yall so much :)

To be honest, I don't think your chances at Stanford are great. They highly value research. If you don't have any, your chances go way down. I'm not discouraging you from applying there, because I'm sure there have been people in the past get in without research, I'm just saying it will be even harder for you.