33 MCAT, mediocre GPA, master's degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brighteyes1017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Would love your thoughts. I'm not looking to get into Harvard or anything but do I have a shot at a decent school?

Numbers
  • Chemical engineering major at a top 5 school with a mediocre GPA (3.63) and
  • A less impressive science GPA (3.33-3.4).
  • No Cs, just quite a few Bs and As in engineering classes that don't count towards my sGPA
  • MCAT was 33 total, 12 physical sciences, 11 verbal, 10 bio, probably because I took all my biology classes many years ago and I didn't really do a good job studying...
Other

I'm also a master's student in an engineering program (again top 5 school) with a GPA 3.8-3.9, writing a thesis on an interesting (I'd argue) topic in public health. I've done wet lab research, have shadowed, volunteered, and have other interesting ECs. I'll also have pretty strong LORs.

I decided very late in the game to apply to medical school--after I was already pursuing my master's degree. The AMCAS chart says I have a good chance at being accepted somewhere---is that true? Are my chances at getting into a mid-tier school okay? (my state doesn't have a state medical school, unfortunately)

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

The AMCAS chart says I have a good chance at being accepted somewhere---is that true?
Your cGPA is decent but the sGPA is on the lower side, probably because of your major...which adcoms may take into account. The graduate GPA is expected to be high so that won't help you too much but the public health thesis will. Overall it seems like you should be able to get into a MD school somewhere if you ECs are good (which you say they are).
Are my chances at getting into a mid-tier school okay? (my state doesn't have a state medical school, unfortunately)
"Mid-tier" is a vague categorization. If you mean schools that are between ~30 to ~60 on US News Research Rankings, then yes, there's a chance you'll get in into one of them if you apply broadly. It's unfortunate that you don't have a state medical school, but state schools of surrounding states often favor neighbors, so look into that.