33mcat, 3.68 cGPA and 3.67 sGPA(TX). Should I apply OOS? Any suggestions on schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasPro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.68 cGPA and 3.67 sGPA (TX resident ). Average EC with research, shadow and Volunteer. Should I apply OOS? Any suggestions on schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Your best chances are in Texas. All the schools outside of Texas are far more expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying to safety schools OOS as a TX resident usually ends up being a waste of time and money. Assuming you interview OK and there aren't any glaring red flags in your app, you shouldn't have any issues getting into a TX school. Given the low in-state tuition and quality of schools in TX, OOS safety schools know that TX applicants will tend to choose TX schools over the OOS safety school if they match into them unless you have a strong reason for not doing so. Hence, they might be reluctant to offer you an interview invite or acceptance.

If your ECs are truly average, I doubt that applying to reach schools would be productive either.

Reactions: 1 users
Applying to safety schools OOS as a TX resident usually ends up being a waste of time and money. Assuming you interview OK and there aren't any glaring red flags in your app, you shouldn't have any issues getting into a TX school. Given the low in-state tuition and quality of schools in TX, OOS safety schools know that TX applicants will tend to choose TX schools over the OOS safety school if they match into them unless you have a strong reason for not doing so. Hence, they might be reluctant to offer you an interview invite or acceptance.

If your ECs are truly average, I doubt that applying to reach schools would be productive either.[/QU

Thank you for the detailed reply. I too was thinking the same, but not sure if I should add some private OOS schools in my stat range, just to be safe. Not much interested in Howard and Meharry . Any other other OOS average private schools that could give me an interview?

Thank you for the detailed reply. I too was thinking the same, but not sure if I should add some private OOS schools in my stat range, just to be safe. Not much interested in Howard and Meharry . Any other other OOS average private schools that could give me an interview?

If you insist, then schools generally considered safeties tend to include NYMC, TCMC, UMiami, MCW, Tulane, Rosalind Franklin etc.

I think you are competitive for out of state! My stats are lower, MCAT 31, GPA 3.5 and I've only gotten an in state interview offer from UTHSCSA so far.. (I'm a Texas resident) However got an out of state interview offer at a competitive school for non-in state applicants.. My friend had a 39, and 3.4 GPA, didn't apply out of state and only got one interview at Houston, was wait listed and miraculously got off a month before med school started... So he made it, but barely.. I think it's worth applying out of state.

I think you are competitive for out of state! My stats are lower, MCAT 31, GPA 3.5 and I've only gotten an in state interview offer from UTHSCSA so far.. (I'm a Texas resident) However got an out of state interview offer at a competitive school for non-in state applicants.. My friend had a 39, and 3.4 GPA, didn't apply out of state and only got one interview at Houston, was wait listed and miraculously got off a month before med school started... So he made it, but barely.. I think it's worth applying out of state.
OOS schools only interview TX folks who are scholarship material for the most part. You must have something that they are looking for!

Reactions: 1 user

Wow that's worrisome to get only one interview as a Texas resident for your friend. It's only August. You should get more interviews. Don't worry. I'm still waiting for Texas interviews as a resident.

OOS schools only interview TX folks who are scholarship material for the most part. You must have something that they are looking for!
Can you clarify what you meant by :scholarship material?' Do you mean OOS will consider TX folks only if they qualify for a good scholarship?

Can you clarify what you meant by :scholarship material?' Do you mean OOS will consider TX folks only if they qualify for a good scholarship?
Yes. Over the years we have noticed that we can't compete with in-state tuition no matter how good we are (unless we supply $)!

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a bit late in applying my instate and completing my secondary. I did my TMSDAS application toward end July and did my secondaries end of Aug. I know my stats should be good if I applied early. My dream schools UT Huoston. But will be happy with Galveston or San Antonio. Does it make sense that I wait till next year and apply early if I am not succesful at any IS this year, rather than applying to any OOS now? How much of a disadvantage will I have if I am a repeat applicant next year. Not able to decide my selfy anf i am seeking your thoughts/ advice. Thanks

I think you should still be fine. I submitted my primary late July too and I'm just waiting. I think UT Houston has handed out half of their interviews, so there's still a chance. Your GPA might be a little low though.

I got a bit late in applying my instate and completing my secondary. I did my TMSDAS application toward end July and did my secondaries end of Aug. I know my stats should be good if I applied early. My dream schools UT Huoston. But will be happy with Galveston or San Antonio. Does it make sense that I wait till next year and apply early if I am not succesful at any IS this year, rather than applying to any OOS now? How much of a disadvantage will I have if I am a repeat applicant next year. Not able to decide my selfy anf i am seeking your thoughts/ advice. Thanks
You won't be a re-applicant to the schools you didn't apply to this year (unless they ask).

Yes. Over the years we have noticed that we can't compete with in-state tuition no matter how good we are!
You won't be a re-applicant to the schools you didn't apply to this year (unless they ask).
Thanks. I applied to ALL instate schools this year. My question was: How much of a dsadvantage I will have if I am a reapplicant next year to the same IS schools, if i am not successful this yesr and I decided to wait for a year and reapplied EARLY in all IS next year, rather than appliying to OOS this year.

Well my friend that is now at UT Houston was in the process of reapplying because he did not get his TMDSAS verified until mid August (interviewed at Houston in November). He turned in his application early this time around and got an offer to interview UTHSCSA in July.. but then ended up getting off the wait list, but I'm sure would have gotten more interview offers this time around, so I can see how turning in the application early does have its advantages. You would be turning in your AMCAS application what is considered 'late' so maybe waiting a year to submit OOS would save you money.. Most likely, you will hear back from Texas schools especially if you applied to all of them (I didn't, but I knew it's because I prefer to go out of state). My friend who got interviewed/admitted to A&M didn't turn in his secondary until the last day.. So maybe your secondary to UTSW might be 'late' but I think you should be fine considering most school still looking through your application.. It's a nerve wracking process, I'm right there with you!

Thanks. your post gives me some relief... Would you mind sharing your and your friends stats?

I mentioned them earlier, but my stats are MCAT 31, GPA 3.5 and my friend at UT Houston had MCAT 39, GPA 3.4.. He only interviewed at UT Houston and got off the wait list.. Not sure of my friend who interviewed at A&M but he had a 3.8 and maybe a 30/29. I already had my interview at UTHSCSA, still haven't heard back from anywhere else (only applied to UTHSCSA, UTMB, UT Houston and UTSW) but an interview offer at University of Wisconsin-Madison... I applied to several out of state schools!

Last edited:
thanks and gud luck.... how was your interview at UTHSCSA?

thanks and gud luck.... how was your interview at UTHSCSA?

Overall, I would say it was pretty laid back. Two one on one interviews, one with a faculty member and other with an MS4. They only had my personal statement, so a lot of my interview with the faculty member was expanding on things I mentioned in my personal statement/extracurriculars and research. The med student just wanted to get to know me better! Hopefully you'll hear back from schools soon!!