34 mcat, 3.27 gpa, 3.12 bcpm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triathlete107

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior at a top 25 school, looking to apply for matriculation in 2012.

Major: Biomedical Engineering
Residency: Florida

GPA: 3.27
BCPM:3.15
This includes a D in orgo 2 that has been retaken with a B the 2nd time around. My GPA is worrisome, but I have a 3.7 average from last semester with some heavy duty science courses and everything looks good for this semester.

MCAT: 10 PS, 11 VR, 13 BS, Q WR

EC's include:
-Orthopedic research on developing a medical device. Research was accepted to a major orthopedic conference and further work will be submitted for journal publication. I am currently testing the device for FDA submissions.
-100 hours volunteering at a free clinic that I will continue with through next year.
-I am currently short on shadowing experience with around 10 hrs with an ortho doc, but I plan on fixing that over the course of the semester
-I have 2 solid LORs so far
-Others activities include: sound engineer, fraternity community service and philanthropy chair, swim club, special olympics volunteer

My current goal is to gain acceptance into a state school. I am working now on my plan for the next year, and was looking for advice on some opportunities. I am in the process of either obtaining a job performing biomechanics research with a biotech firm or doing clinical research. My main question is whether I would be able to take one of these jobs and have a good chance of acceptance, or would I be better off with some post-bac courses?

Thanks for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

If MD is your goal, then at a minimum, another year of coursework with high grades (preferably in upper-level Bio and Biochem) so as to demonstrate four semesters of consistent, high quality work would be a good idea. A surer path might be to consider a Special Masters Program.

your mcat is great...can i ask what resources you used to study?