34R 3.6cGPA 3.7sGPA late application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrisyohn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the rundown:

33 years old. Married with a kid. Ohio resident.

5 years research at Johns Hopkins and Case, including Malaria research alongside MD's and a first-author publication in a great journal. Several second-author pubs.

3 years teaching inclusion science classes at a public high school. Classes include children with learning disabilities alongside on-level kids.

Limited shadowing experience with an OB/GYN.

Study Abroad to Ecuador in college.

MCAT: 34R (BS 11, VR 11, PS 12) cGPA 3.6 sGPA 3.7

MA in Education GPA 4.0

Well-written personal statement. Solid letters of recommendation.

5 years ago, I started a PhD in Genetics at University of Chicago. I dropped out to take care of an ailing parent. I stayed out because I wanted to pursue something with more of a direct social impact (malaria research, education). Left with some incompletes. This doesn't bother me and I feel I can explain this decision in an interview.

I love working in the community as a teacher and developing relationships with students and families. As such, I'm interested in staying here in Northeast Ohio to work in primary practice.

I applied to Ohio schools late (AMCAS app was just verified). I'm going for the long-shot with this late application, but would still like some feedback regarding my chances of admission in this cycle.

Thanks for you time. Best wishes.

Chris.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So AMCAS was just verified. Did you prepare and send out secondaries already? It is pretty late but if you got those secondaries out now you still have a chance with your numbers and EC's. I can't say how much of a chance because each school is different and they are all at slightly different points along their app process. Hope it works out!