About the ads

35/3.8 Schools List

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by mexicochangedme, Sep 8, 2009.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. mexicochangedme

mexicochangedme

Medical Student

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    i submitted amcas in june without an mcat score. i applied to quite a few schools based on a projected score. i got my score back today and it is right around what i was hoping for (35). now i am wondering if i should add any schools (either more safety or reach) based on my stats. brief stats and current list are below. thoughts? any schools to consider?

cGPA: 3.8
    sGPA: 3.8
    MCAT: 14ps, 10v, 11bs
    residency: CA
    attended small liberal arts school in PA
    2 summers of research at top research school
    3 semesters research at my undergrad institution
    thousands and thousands of hours of volunteer experience (spent a year teaching the deaf in mexico, guide dog puppyraising, prison fellowship, pet therapy, therapeutic horsemanship, service trips to a school for the deaf in jamaica, etc., etc.)
    ~150 hrs free medical clinic volunteering
    thousands of hours as a veterinary technician
    BBB honorary
    sign language club vice president, ACS secretary, dean's list with highest distinction, highest honors in major
    other stuff...

current list:
    ucla
    ucsd
    uc davis
    ucsf
    uc irvine
    loma linda
    creighton
    georgetown
    loyola
    ohsu
    penn state
    temple
    wake forest
    u of arkansas
    u of rochester
    tufts
  2. Stratego

Stratego

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I like your list. You're a great applicant. I hope you'll keep in touch with your progress through the season maybe by making an MDapps and linking it to your posts. You could add Rosalind Franklin (since they love Californians) as a safety school, but you should do fine getting interviews regardless. Arkansas will be iffy unless you have strong state ties.

Did you decide to stay in Mexico, or are you back in the states?
  3. mexicochangedme

mexicochangedme

Medical Student
    thanks for your input.

i had been accepted to vet school prior to moving heading south; i decided to pursue medicine while i was in mexico. so, when the school year was over, i came back up to the states to study for/take the mcat and start getting medical experience. i miss it like crazy but know i need to be up here for now for application purposes. hopefully the strategy works :)
  4. mexicochangedme

mexicochangedme

Medical Student
    thanks for your input.

i had been accepted to vet school prior to moving heading south; i decided to pursue medicine while i was in mexico. so, when the school year was over, i came back up to the states to study for/take the mcat and start getting medical experience. i miss it like crazy but know i need to be up here for now for application purposes. hopefully the strategy works :)