36 MCAT, 3.6.3.3 GPA. Strong EC. No acceptance. Next step?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which route do I take?

• Plan A

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • Plan B

Votes: 31 49.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 17 27.0%

• Total voters

preeeeeeemed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just to provide some background:
I have applied to medical school in the past two cycles - holding on to one waitlist spot currently, and I pray that it works out, but I am trying to plan ahead in case things don't go well there.

Stats:
36 MCAT (will expire for all but ~20 schools in the upcoming cycle)
3.6 GPA/ 3.3 sGPA
7-8 Publications (2nd author or lower), multiple years of full time research employment at Ivy League institution
300+ hours of volunteering in a hospital
5000+ hours of clinical/basic science research in total
200+ hours of shadowing

PLAN A: High risk, high reward?
- Take some core science courses over the summer (June-August, 9 credits) and retake a couple of bourses I got a B- in - can take my sGPA to 3.4 with 5 As.
- Continue volunteering and research
Retake MCAT in 2 months - keep in mind, I have been out of school for 3 years, and it will be hard to replicate my 97th percentile score in just two months of preparation.

PLAN B: Likely the wiser plan? (More expensive too - $40k?)

-Don't apply this year - do an SMP to boost my sGPA (NYMC or Rutgers 1 year program)
-Retake MCAT in January or April with more preparation
-Continue volunteering and research
-Take a few undergrad courses this summer to boost sGPA a little bit? (Unsure if necessary with SMP)

Thank you all for your advice in advance, and please feel free to suggest something new/different. All advice is good advice. If you know of any other SMP programs I should look at in the NY area, please feel free to talk about it as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Highly recommend you give yourself more than 2 months to take the MCAT, considering the test has radically changed from the one you took...but I truly feel for you...That is a fantastic MCAT score and I would kill to have obtained one even close, such a shame it expires. Absolute best of luck to you with whatever plan you choose.

BTW, even with a slightly low GPA...your application still looks awesome...did you apply too top-heavy? Any possible red-flags?

And at this point, your research will yield probable diminishing returns (Adcoms know you are a great researcher)--I highly recommend gaining more clinical exposure.

Reactions: 1 users
I would recommend to work full time but not invest on SMP. You should take more time to prepare for MCAT and try to get a similar score. Apply wisely and broadly. You probably should wait till the next summer to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Highly recommend you give yourself more than 2 months to take the MCAT, considering the test has radically changed from the one you took...but I truly feel for you...That is a fantastic MCAT score and I would kill to have obtained one even close, such a shame it expires. Absolute best of luck to you with whatever plan you choose.

BTW, even with a slightly low GPA...your application still looks awesome...did you apply too top-heavy? Any possible red-flags?

And at this point, your research will yield probable diminishing returns (Adcoms know you are a great researcher)--I highly recommend gaining more clinical exposure.
Appreciate all the kind words.

I did apply to a lot of top schools, but I also applied to all my state schools and some low yield schools as well (I applied to close to 40 schools). I'm quite bummed about the MCAT expiring as well, but sadly we can't change the rules. No real red flags.

Thanks for all the advice, all of it is very helpful :)

I'm in a very similar situation... interested in replies.

I would recommend to work full time but not invest on SMP. You should take more time to prepare for MCAT and try to get a similar score. Apply wisely and broadly. You probably should wait till the next summer to apply.

How do you think that improves my future application compared to my current application?

Add some DO schools to your list in the next app cycle.

That is something I will do, but it is a priority for me to get into MD. Any suggestions on what the best path to that would be?

How do you think that improves my future application compared to my current application?

You seem have a great EC package. I think it is important for you to identify the possible reasons of unproductive application. Did you apply early enough and broadly? Did you receive good number of II ? How was your PS and reference letters' quality?

I just doubt that the GPA is" the factor" preventing you from getting admissions this past cycle. Therefore I don't recommend the SMP track. But you consider GPA is the reason. SMP is a valid option.

Reactions: 2 users
You seem have a great EC package. I think it is important for you to identify the possible reasons of unproductive application. Did you apply early enough and broadly? Did you receive good number of II ? How was your PS and reference letters' quality?

I just doubt that the GPA is" the factor" preventing you from getting admissions this past cycle. Therefore I don't recommend the SMP track. But you consider GPA is the reason. SMP is a valid option.
My feedback from schools has been largely focused on my science GPA (3/3 schools said that is their main concern). I could have applied slightly earlier, but it's not like I applied very late either.

My application/essays/PS quality was very good in my opinion, at least in the second cycle.

I received one II -> waitlist.

Have you contacted schools for feedback...Even if only 2-3 got back to you with solid input, I think your situation, with your stats they could be worth their weight in gold.

^^Beat me to it...I would think the 36 would negate that, this whole process is crazy.

That is something I will do, but it is a priority for me to get into MD. Any suggestions on what the best path to that would be?

Apply broadly to MD Schools you arent a reapplicant at.

Pick one of these two options as a backup if MD doesnt work out: DO schools or an SMP. If MD is your end goal I would recommend going for an SMP if you dont get in this cycle. You would be a good candidate: do well in an SMP(easier said than done) and you likely wont have any problems getting MD acceptances.

Have you contacted schools for feedback...Even if only 2-3 got back to you with solid input, I think your situation, with your stats they could be worth their weight in gold.

^^Beat me to it...I would think the 36 would negate that, this whole process is crazy.
That was my thinking when I applied - I knew I could have done far better in my sGPA (I should have and certainly was capable of doing better - that is my fault entirely). I hoped the MCAT would show that I am certainly capable of handling medical school material. But apparently that is not the case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with what GrapeofRath said.

Best luck of the waitlist movement!

Apply broadly to MD Schools you arent a reapplicant at.

Pick one of these two options as a backup if MD doesnt work out: DO schools or an SMP. If MD is your end goal I would recommend going for an SMP if you dont get in this cycle. You would be a good candidate: do well in an SMP(easier said than done) and you likely wont have any problems getting MD acceptances.
Thanks for the advice. It is easier said than done, but given my situation and motivation, my mindset for the SMP is 4.0 or bust.

Rewrite all your essays. Get feedback on the rejections. Have a better list. Consider a SMP if you're boning for the MD.
Thanks for the advice! This is the most likely plan at this point.

Just out of curiosity, if I were to reapply again this cycle, what schools do you all see as a potential match for me?

Only those private schools who have a 10th percentile for SGPA that's lower that your sGPA
Surprisingly, I didn't find that to be the case when I applied this cycle.

I also had a 3.3 sgpa, but my cgpa was also 3.3
The MCAT was the strong point in my app as well (40).
There were, of course, some other variables such as that my gpa was due to a 3.1x post-undergrad gpa averaged with a 4.0 postbacc, and that I had an IA.

Long story short, I had far more luck (as in IIs) with schools where my gpa was notably below their range, but my MCAT notably above (though to be fair, that is most schools). I tried to apply to some with a low gpa to match my own and received pretty much no attention from them. Most of the LizzyMs where I received interviews were more than 1pt below my own, but the school I'm actually attending had a LizzyM that matched my own. Now, n = only 25 on all that, but it's still interesting.

Of course, I also used your advice to put together a list of schools which like to see reinvention, which I think made a big difference.

Just my $0.02 on applying with a similar imbalance.

There were, of course, some other variables such as that my gpa was due to a 3.1x post-undergrad gpa averaged with a 4.0 postbacc, and that I had an IA.

Long story short, I had far more luck (as in IIs) with schools where my gpa was notably below their range, but my MCAT notably above (though to be fair, that is most schools). I tried to apply to some with a low gpa to match my own and received pretty much no attention from them. Most of the LizzyMs where I received interviews were more than 1pt below my own, but the school I'm actually attending had a LizzyM that matched my own. Now, n = only 25 on all that, but it's still interesting.

Of course, I also used your advice to put together a list of schools which like to see reinvention, which I think made a big difference.

Cool to see this - thanks for weighing in! Best of luck to you, hoping to join you as an MD candidate soon!

Would you mind if i PMed you?

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. It is easier said than done, but given my situation and motivation, my mindset for the SMP is 4.0 or bust.

There you go then and no need for DO's. Apply broadly to MD's, apply to reputable SMP's as a backup and that will be your plan of action if you dont get in this cycle.

Yeah in reality in a case with MCAT/GPA discordance "aiming too low" for lack of a better word isnt going to get you more interviews. Youll hear gyngyn and others directly involved in MD admission talk about this and I know someone who works at one of these low yield lower tiers who tells me this as well but in reality these lower tier schools like RFU with >10k apps often dont interview that many people with a >90th percentile MCAT regardless of GPA with one concern being the return/yield on such applicants isnt high.

It seems counter-intuitive but often you might need to aim towards a bit higher (which it sounds like you did). The schools with the low 10th percentile stats like Drexel, Rush, NYMC, GW etc probably arent the ones most likely to interview you or someone like the OP. It's the higher end ones that have favorable OOS matriculant/app ratios and higher MCAT medians, regardless of any 10th percentile GPA stat. Tulane, Cincinnati, Hofstra, CWRU, Saint Louis etc come to mind.

Reactions: 1 user
OP doesn't have your reinvention history, and that's what is hurting him.

What is your school list? From AAMC Table 24 81% with your stats are accepted. Since your science gpa is low, that table isn't completely accurate, but even a 3.3 and 36 has a 54% chance.

If you have a 54-81% chance of being accepted, applied twice, applied to 40 schools, and have fantastic ECs, you are either very unlucky or there is something else going wrong (like not applying to the right schools)

If you have cash saved up from working, I would apply to Tulane ACP (high acceptance rate into Tulane, I think Tulane accepts a 4 yr MCAT, and they like high MCATs). Good luck! You look qualified on paper to me

OP doesn't have your reinvention history, and that's what is hurting him.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking...and applying low-stat by itself doesn't seem to have worked, either. Fortunately both of their plans seem to entail addressing that low gpa and reinventing it, though I'd tweak the details of both (aka don't retake unless you're planning to apply DO, etc).

I would have more feedback, but something in Guatemala has finally overwhelmed my strong stomach, and being coherent is hard right now.

add PCOM, UNECOM, Marian, MSUCOM, PNWU, CCOM, DMUCOM too list for safety

I also want to chime in since I applied this cycle and have nearly identical stats and experiences as you (shows how unique we all are). I also have the 3.6 GPA (3.3 science) with the 36 MCAT and attended a "top 10" university with tons of research and healthcare experience. I had three interviews this cycle: Drexel, U Miami and Wayne, with 20 applications and just got accepted off the waitlist at Wayne (so also in my case the prospects weren't spectacular but there was something at least and I got accepted in the end). Two of my interviewers outright told me that I stood out because of my personal statement and my public health experiences (Wayne and U Miami). You may have heard that some medical schools have ranked waitlists (or ranked lists in general) that can group students based on their persona (the research guy, the humanities guy, the public health gal), and I think it does help to spin yourself that way to be memorable and to clearly represent the niche that they want filled (At U Miami the faculty interviewer outright called me "the public health guy" even though I'm a Neuro major). Creating a cohesive and straightforward narrative of yourself through activity descriptions, secondaries and your personal statement may have been the big difference between us. Embracing some aspect of who you are and (possibly) over-representing it (as I did to some extent) may be in your best interests.

I also found a few schools like Wayne, which you may not have applied to, which outright state that they mainly consider the last 60 credits of courses you have taken and calculate that as your GPA when applying (I'm sure they still look at everything though). This GPA stance, and the fact that they have an older entering class, told me that this "redefining" aspect is a real thing certain schools clearly value. I did also complete a one year pos-bacc which helped raise my GPA a little higher, and, more importantly, showed that continued upward trend. Honestly, I don't recommend retaking undergrad classes since even by doing well in them puts you on par with all the undergrads out there. Take grad-level coursework and bring something new to the table when you're applying. Taking grad courses in topics with previous poor performances surely shows a mastery of the subject since it will be applying the same knowledge and skill set. Also, is your Ivy school notorious for grade inflation? That may also have hurt you if other students applying with your same major from the same school have GPAs well above yours, especially a big premed feeder where students will be applying each cycle and be readily available for ADCOM to compare you against them. If that's the case, then all the more reason to take grad level coursework and make it so they can't fairly compare you. Make them work for it!

I also noticed that the "lower" tier schools like Tulane and RFU gave me no love, and that may have been, as previously noted, that my GPA was too low and my MCAT was skimmed off the top. Additionally, maybe some volunteer/community work outside of medicine may help your application. If you're pitching yourself as someone interested in primary care (which can be a wise move given that's where the demand is and it's by no means binding to say it and not necessarily mean it), then having community outreach experience definitely supports that claim. Just make sure the story you are painting makes sense with your activities and accomplishments, and really play it up to stand out and make yourself memorable. Also, apply early - it's the only thing more important than MCAT/GPA in my mind, lol.

Anyway, much of this was just me speculating. Just don't give up since it has worked out for others (me!) in the same position and you'll get there too.

I also want to chime in since I applied this cycle and have nearly identical stats and experiences as you (shows how unique we all are). I also have the 3.6 GPA (3.3 science) with the 36 MCAT and attended a "top 10" university with tons of research and healthcare experience. I had three interviews this cycle: Drexel, U Miami and Wayne, with 20 applications and just got accepted off the waitlist at Wayne (so also in my case the prospects weren't spectacular but there was something at least and I got accepted in the end). Two of my interviewers outright told me that I stood out because of my personal statement and my public health experiences (Wayne and U Miami). You may have heard that some medical schools have ranked waitlists (or ranked lists in general) that can group students based on their persona (the research guy, the humanities guy, the public health gal), and I think it does help to spin yourself that way to be memorable and to clearly represent the niche that they want filled (At U Miami the faculty interviewer outright called me "the public health guy" even though I'm a Neuro major). Creating a cohesive and straightforward narrative of yourself through activity descriptions, secondaries and your personal statement may have been the big difference between us. Embracing some aspect of who you are and (possibly) over-representing it (as I did to some extent) may be in your best interests.

I also found a few schools like Wayne, which you may not have applied to, which outright state that they mainly consider the last 60 credits of courses you have taken and calculate that as your GPA when applying (I'm sure they still look at everything though). This GPA stance, and the fact that they have an older entering class, told me that this "redefining" aspect is a real thing certain schools clearly value. I did also complete a one year pos-bacc which helped raise my GPA a little higher, and, more importantly, showed that continued upward trend. Honestly, I don't recommend retaking undergrad classes since even by doing well in them puts you on par with all the undergrads out there. Take grad-level coursework and bring something new to the table when you're applying. Taking grad courses in topics with previous poor performances surely shows a mastery of the subject since it will be applying the same knowledge and skill set. Also, is your Ivy school notorious for grade inflation? That may also have hurt you if other students applying with your same major from the same school have GPAs well above yours, especially a big premed feeder where students will be applying each cycle and be readily available for ADCOM to compare you against them. If that's the case, then all the more reason to take grad level coursework and make it so they can't fairly compare you. Make them work for it!

I also noticed that the "lower" tier schools like Tulane and RFU gave me no love, and that may have been, as previously noted, that my GPA was too low and my MCAT was skimmed off the top. Additionally, maybe some volunteer/community work outside of medicine may help your application. If you're pitching yourself as someone interested in primary care (which can be a wise move given that's where the demand is and it's by no means binding to say it and not necessarily mean it), then having community outreach experience definitely supports that claim. Just make sure the story you are painting makes sense with your activities and accomplishments, and really play it up to stand out and make yourself memorable. Also, apply early - it's the only thing more important than MCAT/GPA in my mind, lol.

Anyway, much of this was just me speculating. Just don't give up since it has worked out for others (me!) in the same position and you'll get there too.
I'm surprised that Tulane didn't interview you if you have a lot of public health work (Tulane and Miami have basically the same MCAT averages, so I wouldn't say that's why). I met a bunch of people at my Miami interview who interviewed at Tulane and my host at Tulane turned Miami and my host at Miami turned down Tulane. They seem to have a lot of overlap in who they interview

And I interviewed at (and am going) to Tulane with similar stats, from a top 10 school, with a lot of research, and some interesting public health experiences. So maybe there is just too many people like us, hahaha

Edit: Now that I think of it, The Knife and Gun Club user has similar stats to the 3 of us, went to a top 20 school and was accepted to Miami and Tulane. Just goes to show you how similar all us applicants are and how hard it is for adcoms to differentiate between us.

Last edited:

It does sound, however, that you and I had a concrete upward trend, where as OP does not mention this factor. This could be an important difference.

It does sound, however, that you and I had a concrete upward trend, where as OP does not mention this factor. This could be an important difference.
Again, we can only do anecdotes, but I did not have an upward trend at all. So I think packaging your application in the right way, applying broadly, and applying to the right school could get a bite (being able to package or brand yourself is huge, I agree with @Nervus Terminalis in that respect)

Last edited:
OP, I have the same sGPA as you, lower cGPA than you, and a much much lower MCAT score than you, and I have success this cycle. I am actually surprised that you don't have more luck two cycles in a row. Yes, your sGPA is a little lower than average, but your app looks strong on paper (fine cGPA, awesome MCAT, definitely plenty of research, sufficient clinical volunteering and shadowing, etc.). I honestly don't think your sGPA is what is preventing you from getting more interviews and acceptances.

Here are a few of my thoughts:
(1) You applied to 40 schools, so you certainly applied broadly, but are they the right schools? You have a lot of research experience, so I assume you applied to a lot of the research focused schools, which are typically top schools with both high GPA and MCAT. That likely won't work for you. You need to target more on the mission based schools and find those that fit your background/story

(2) Mission based schools are mostly service oriented. You have sufficient clinical volunteering hours? But how about non-clinical volunteering or involvement? I think this is very important. And if you are waiting to apply in the next cycle (not this coming cycle), then I would suggest you to focus on non-clinical volunteering (and not more research or clinical volunteer)

(3) How are your recommendations? No one has mentioned this above but I think this is huge. I have luck this cycle despite low GPA/low MCAT, and I think a lot of it is because I have two extremely strong letters that spoke highly of me and my character.

(4) Do you have a cohesive story to tell in your application rather than just a compilation of numbers in terms of GPA, MCAT, volunteer hours, shadowing shors, research hours, and list of publications? Telling your story, showing your passion whatever that may be through your PS and essays are important aspect that often are overlooked

(5) If you are ok with DO schools, then I don't think you need to do SMP, but if are set on MD schools, then I think SMP is a good path. You have better stats than most who need GPA repair, but given you have two unsuccessful cycles, I think you should consider it. It certainly helped me, and I didn't have a 4.0 in my SMP, so don't think you need a 4.0 to be successful. With your stats and on wait list, I would consider Cincinnati and the Tulane program, both of which have a high percentage of graduates getting in the next year.

I wish you the very best of luck.

OP, I have the same sGPA as you, lower cGPA than you, and a much much lower MCAT score than you, and I have success this cycle. I am actually surprised that you don't have more luck two cycles in a row. Yes, your sGPA is a little lower than average, but your app looks strong on paper (fine cGPA, awesome MCAT, definitely plenty of research, sufficient clinical volunteering and shadowing, etc.). I honestly don't think your sGPA is what is preventing you from getting more interviews and acceptances.

Here are a few of my thoughts:
(1) You applied to 40 schools, so you certainly applied broadly, but are they the right schools? You have a lot of research experience, so I assume you applied to a lot of the research focused schools, which are typically top schools with both high GPA and MCAT. That likely won't work for you. You need to target more on the mission based schools and find those that fit your background/story

(2) Mission based schools are mostly service oriented. You have sufficient clinical volunteering hours? But how about non-clinical volunteering or involvement? I think this is very important. And if you are waiting to apply in the next cycle (not this coming cycle), then I would suggest you to focus on non-clinical volunteering (and not more research or clinical volunteer)

(3) How are your recommendations? No one has mentioned this above but I think this is huge. I have luck this cycle despite low GPA/low MCAT, and I think a lot of it is because I have two extremely strong letters that spoke highly of me and my character.

(4) Do you have a cohesive story to tell in your application rather than just a compilation of numbers in terms of GPA, MCAT, volunteer hours, shadowing shors, research hours, and list of publications? Telling your story, showing your passion whatever that may be through your PS and essays are important aspect that often are overlooked

(5) If you are ok with DO schools, then I don't think you need to do SMP, but if are set on MD schools, then I think SMP is a good path. You have better stats than most who need GPA repair, but given you have two unsuccessful cycles, I think you should consider it. It certainly helped me, and I didn't have a 4.0 in my SMP, so don't think you need a 4.0 to be successful. With your stats and on wait list, I would consider Cincinnati and the Tulane program, both of which have a high percentage of graduates getting in the next year.

I wish you the very best of luck.
First of all, thank you everybody for the overwhelming amount of feedback and advice. Really appreciate every single comment that was made since yesterday.

To answer the more common questions - no, I do not have an upward trend. I pushed for a double major in my 4 years as undergrad, and piled the very hardest courses on myself my last 2 years - my GPA remained fairly stable through the four years.

Now, to answer grateful doc's questions:
1)I applied to most east coast schools, a lot of research oriented schools as well as low yield schools like RFU, NYMC, Drexel, etc. Perhaps I didn't apply to enough middle of the pack schools - something to consider and a lesson to use the WAMC forum - which I was unaware of until it was too late.

2)I will certainly look into non-medicine related community service

3)I can't speak for my letters from professors - it was hard to create a relationship with a professor given the enormous class sizes. I am absolutely sure, however, that I got incredible letters from my PIs and the other doctors I had the pleasure of working/volunteering with.

4)I do have a story that I thought was actually quite significant and portrayed my desire to be a doctor quite well. But I will now have to dig deeper for something else given that schools don't like PS repeats.

5)I'm certain I won't be going into primary care - I will be specializing in something rather competitive. So DO is not something I am ready to commit to at this point.

Regarding Cincinnati and Tulane - Are there any SMPs you can recommend in the NY area? I so far have looked into NYMC and Rutgers, but nothing other than that.

Thank you and thanks everyone else once again!

Columbia has a Postbac premed program.
http://gs.columbia.edu/postbac/
That program is aimed at career changers, not reinventors. OP is not eligible on at least 3 standards:
The website you linked said:
To be eligible for admission to the Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program, students must:

• hold a degree of Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science from an accredited college or university in the United States. International students: seeApplicants with Foreign Credentials.
  • show evidence that they have developed the academic abilities to meet the demands of the Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program.
  • have an overall cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above; most successful applicants, however, have an average GPA of 3.65. More information below.
  • not have completed most or all of the required premedical courses. More information below.
  • not have applied to medical school within the past two years
  • not have taken the MCAT
*emphasis mine

Georgetown SMP is probably a good bet for you since its probably the "best" medical school associated with a SMP... if you're considering a SMP. I know med school apps only get more competitive as time goes on, but I don't get why you haven't gotten in anywhere. I can only guess that it is the schools you are choosing (too picky), your personal statements or letters (weak?), or poor interview performance. There is no reason you shouldn't get into an allopathic medical school in the US.

Granted, its been more than a decade...
http://mdapplicants.com/profile/922/user-922

Georgetown SMP is probably a good bet for you since its probably the "best" medical school associated with a SMP... if you're considering a SMP. I know med school apps only get more competitive as time goes on, but I don't get why you haven't gotten in anywhere. I can only guess that it is the schools you are choosing (too picky), your personal statements or letters (weak?), or poor interview performance. There is no reason you shouldn't get into an allopathic medical school in the US.

Granted, its been more than a decade...
http://mdapplicants.com/profile/922/user-922
Thanks for the advice! I will look into Georgetown - anybody know of anything in NYC or around here, other than NYMC and Rutgers?

oh and a SMP will not bost your sGPA. It is a grad program.

I'm very surprised you didn't get accepted. I have a 32, 3.7/3.5 and if you aren't getting accepted, i'm worried.

I'm very surprised you didn't get accepted. I have a 32, 3.7/3.5 and if you aren't getting accepted, i'm worried.
...you have completely different stats in all ways than OP, it's not a great comparison for you.

3.3 sGPA is probably 5th percentile for non-URM applicants, and is probably the most important single number in an application. 3.5 is probably 30th-40th percentile and isn't going to get you screened most places....he's going to get autoscreened most places at 3.3.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321498/data/factstablea18.pdf

Also, re Columbia:

waste.jpg

...except make those Benny's and add about 10 more buckets. And, oh yeah, public medical schools don't care about ugrad prestige.

3.3 sGPA is probably 5th percentile for non-URM applicants, and is probably the most important single number in an application. 3.5 is probably 30th-40th percentile and isn't going to get you screened most places....he's going to get autoscreened most places at 3.3.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321498/data/factstablea18.pdf

Also, re Columbia:

waste.jpg

...except make those Benny's and add about 10 more buckets. And, oh yeah, public medical schools don't care about ugrad prestige.
OK, you lost me halfway through.

1) 3.3 doesn't get autoscreened most places. I applied with a 3.3 in both c and s gpa and got 7 IIs. It's certainly not a good thing, and it means the last poster's comparison is useless, but...you're not automatically out of the ballgame.
2) Wait, why are we talking about Columbia and ugrad prestige?

...you have completely different stats in all ways than OP, it's not a great comparison for you.

His MCAT is a few points higher, my GPA is a bit higher. Overall its kind of equal. That's what i'm referring to. And i'm worried about this cycle too. lol

OK, you lost me halfway through.

1) 3.3 doesn't get autoscreened most places. I applied with a 3.3 in both c and s gpa and got 7 IIs. It's certainly not a good thing, and it means the last poster's comparison is useless, but...you're not automatically out of the ballgame.
2) Wait, why are we talking about Columbia and ugrad prestige?

Hi! Congrats on getting in! May I ask where you applied? I'm worried about my 3.5 because I know it's on the lower side.

URM?

We're talking about Columbia and prestige because someone mentioned Columbia's postbac, which is a massive racket. Can I please go drop 110k to take courses that cost 5k at a LAC because Columbia?
Nope, not URM. Not even remotely.

The Columbia postbacc was already dismissed for far stronger reasons and is not really a subject of discussion.

His MCAT is a few points higher, my GPA is a bit higher. Overall its kind of equal. That's what i'm referring to. And i'm worried about this cycle too. lol
It's really, really not equivalent.

Now you're just being combative.

105k in wasted money isn't a strong reason? It's wrong to supplement an existing line of reasoning?

This person seems to have their own opinions and refuses to listen to anyone else, and won't explain anything either :whistle:

sGPA is very very very important - probably the most important stat. 3.5 is much more credible than 3.3...you're within 1 SD of matriculants and it's probably not going to garner too much thought. Of course you'd prefer 3.8 or a 4, but it's not a red flag.

A 3.3 sGPA is almost two full sd's away from the average matriculant. It's going to draw negative attention.

I get that. But I do see a lot of people on here that get in with 3.3 sgpa and good mcat scores like the OP. I get that sgpa is important, but I don't think a bad one rules you out of an interview.

From the Essential SDN Wisdom sticky:

9keKrSB.png

Note that the priorities (measured by mean importance ratings) are organized in a descending order according to the above Footnote 1. In regards to academics, the AAMC survey highlights that

science GPA > MCAT total score > upward/downward GPA trends > cumulative undergrad GPA > performance in a post-bacc program > selectivity of undergraduate institutions (for private medical schools) (all are of highest importance)