36 MCAT, 3.62sGPA, 3.55cGPA, lateish application.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASUfan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently waiting on answers for a couple schools and getting antsy- should I get my hopes up or prepare for the worst? How can I keep preparing for next cycle? Stats in title, trending upwards in terms of cGPA.

EMT-B, member of local rescue squad (volunteer EMS/fire.)
~50 hours shadowing nephrologist.
~25 hours shadowing PA in emergency department.
~200 hours (continuing) clinical volunteering at local free clinic. Top student volunteer in terms of hours.
Member of student health advisory club two semesters, officer one of these semesters.
Founding officer of AED pre-health honor society chapter at my university.
Member, two semesters, school's pre-health club.
University and departmental honors student, currently writing thesis on development of emergency medical services system in western NC.
Previous summer employment in nephrologist's office as a receptionist.
History major, chemistry minor. No research; never been interested in it.

Applied to: (NC Resident)
University of North Carolina (Interviewed 11/6/14)
Brody School of Medicine (Interviewed 10/29/14)
Wake Forest SOM (Secondary listed as completed 10/1/14)
Emory University SOM (Secondary complete early-mid September)
Eastern Virginia Medical School (Secondary complete mid September)
West Virginia University SOM (Interview scheduled for 2/13/14)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your interviews! I think that you have a solid chance at ECU since you have shown interest in rural medicine with your thesis. They are incredibly mission specific and your MCAT score will help you considerably.

I think that you have a very strong application; Your MCAT score is incredibly high, so it's just going to be a waiting game. Keep your hopes up for the rest of the cycle!

Congrats on your interviews! I think that you have a solid chance at ECU since you have shown interest in rural medicine with your thesis. They are incredibly mission specific and your MCAT score will help you considerably.

I think that you have a very strong application; Your MCAT score is incredibly high, so it's just going to be a waiting game. Keep your hopes up for the rest of the cycle!

Thanks for the encouragement. UNC is my dream school, but medicine is my dream career so I'm not going to be too picky, especially with a great school like Brody. Do you know off the top of your head if UNC/ECU want/accept updated transcripts/activities/etc? Just finished my first 4.0 semester that would bring my cGPA back up to ~3.62, I think, plus I'm bored sitting around on break waiting.

Also, another off-topic question, but my 8-hour per week semester-long EMT class through a community college (18 CEUs, total, I think? 180 total class hours.) was counted by AMCAS as a full 18 semester hours, even though I left the hours blank when I submitted the primary. I got in a B in the class, which I somehow thought at the time was pass-fail, which is why I took it on top of Honors Orgo 2/Phys 2/Bio/some other courses. Without AMCAS switching it to a rather absurd 18 semester hours, my cGPA would be in the 3.7s right now, so I'm kind of frustrated by the whole thing. Is this normal?

Members don't see this ad :)
3 interviews out of 6 schools that you applied to is a REALLY high yield. Congrats! I hope you hear some good news soon =) I wouldn't think about reapplying just yet. Enjoy the holidays!

Also, another off-topic question, but my 8-hour per week semester-long EMT class through a community college (18 CEUs, total, I think? 180 total class hours.) was counted by AMCAS as a full 18 semester hours, even though I left the hours blank when I submitted the primary. I got in a B in the class, which I somehow thought at the time was pass-fail, which is why I took it on top of Honors Orgo 2/Phys 2/Bio/some other courses. Without AMCAS switching it to a rather absurd 18 semester hours, my cGPA would be in the 3.7s right now, so I'm kind of frustrated by the whole thing. Is this normal?

I think there's a form you can fill out to challenge an AMCAS class designation.

Reactions: 1 user
I think there's a form you can fill out to challenge an AMCAS class designation.

Thanks, just sent one in! Would be awesome to have my cGPA jump up to the ~3.7 if my request is granted + this year's transcripts arrive just as the committees are going to start looking at me.

Request granted! AMCAS cGPA just jumped up to 3.66. Will definitely be emailing some admissions offices to make sure my new primary is seen.

Request granted! AMCAS cGPA just jumped up to 3.66. Will definitely be emailing some admissions offices to make sure my new primary is seen.

You may wanna couple these emails with some combined update letters/letters of interest for maximum effect - at least from schools you haven't heard from.

You may wanna couple these emails with some combined update letters/letters of interest for maximum effect - at least from schools you haven't heard from.

Thanks for the advice! Will be emailing Wake Forest and Eastern Virginia in the morning with the update and a re-statement of my interest. This next month or so is going to be killer sitting around waiting.

Thanks for the advice! Will be emailing Wake Forest and Eastern Virginia in the morning with the update and a re-statement of my interest. This next month or so is going to be killer sitting around waiting.
Hey really interesting post.I have similar stats. Any acceptance luck yet? GOOD LUCK THIS CYCLE!!

None yet! As I said, my application was pretty late although I got those nice interviews not too late with UNC and ECU. Should hear back in the next month or so!
Good luck to you too!

None yet! As I said, my application was pretty late although I got those nice interviews not too late with UNC and ECU. Should hear back in the next month or so!
Good luck to you too!
If you don't mind my asking, how late?

If you don't mind my asking, how late?

Of course! Primary verified mid August. Secondaries for all schools were complete around early to mid September. Wake included, but they didn't mark me as complete till 10/1 for some reason.