MD & DO 36 MCAT, 3.91 GPA, Okay ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lucy78

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats are a 36 MCAT and a 3.91 cGPA(4.00 sGPA). I am a Chemistry major.

My ECs are as follows...

- over 600 hours volunteering for suicide hotline
- 125 hours physician shadowing(80 internal medicine, 15 urology, 15 OB/GYN, 15 emergency medicine)
- about 400 hours hospital volunteering(academic year only)
- about 120 hours nursing home volunteering(summer only)
- some Chemistry research
- member of my university's Pre-health club and Student Affiliates of American Chemical Society

I don't have any kind of leadership experience. Do you think that will seriously ding me in the application process? My hobbies aren't particularly interesting either. I am a voracious reader, but that's about it.

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Lucy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have a school list?

Also, can you think of other hobbies and activities?

My stats are a 36 MCAT and a 3.91 cGPA(4.00 sGPA). I am a Chemistry major.

My ECs are as follows...

- over 600 hours volunteering for suicide hotline
- 125 hours physician shadowing(80 internal medicine, 15 urology, 15 OB/GYN, 15 emergency medicine)
- about 400 hours hospital volunteering(academic year only)
- about 120 hours nursing home volunteering(summer only)
- some Chemistry research
- member of my university's Pre-health club and Student Affiliates of American Chemical Society

I don't have any kind of leadership experience. Do you think that will seriously ding me in the application process? My hobbies aren't particularly interesting either. I am a voracious reader, but that's about it.
For general application purposes, your ECs are more than "OK". If you aspire to Top Schools, then a lack of both Leadership and a strong Research experience might make such schools reachy for you. OTOH, your substantial clinical experience may make up for that atn some places.

Do you have a book collection in any particular genre? Do you collect music or movies that can be characterized similarly? Do you cook, sew, fix cars, change your own oil, play chess, refinish old furniture, love garage sales, etc. Hobbies can be mundane, but still made memorable with an interesting anecdote, which can zip up the entire application.

Members don't see this ad :)
For general application purposes, your ECs are more than "OK". If you aspire to Top Schools, then a lack of both Leadership and a strong Research experience might make such schools reachy for you. OTOH, your substantial clinical experience may make up for that atn some places.

Do you have a book collection in any particular genre? Do you collect music or movies that can be characterized similarly? Do you cook, sew, fix cars, change your own oil, play chess, refinish old furniture, love garage sales, etc. Hobbies can be mundane, but still made memorable with an interesting anecdote, which can zip up the entire application.

I do play a bit of chess.

I sing too, but I haven't been in an official choir or anything since high school. With that in mind, do you think it is still acceptable to list singing as a hobby?

As far as books go, I have a hobby interest in toxicology and read about that quite a bit. I have a sizable classics collection as well.

I also crochet the occasional chemo cap for Knots of Love.

Thank you for the responses, folks!

Last edited:
I sing too, but I haven't been in an official choir or anything since high school. With that in mind, do you think it is still acceptable to list singing as a hobby?
You can sing solely in the shower and still list it as a hobby. I think all the things you've mentioned are worth listing, with a few details as you've mentioned. They help give us a better sense of who you are as a person, may make you stand out in our memories, and occasionally are a starting point for easing into interview questions. Use yourself as the contact.