36 Year-Old DM Laid-Off. What are the usual options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is the incentive to be DM if the pay is about the same or only slightly better? There's only a few DMs per a state so your chances are slim to none for a position that barely compensates you more. Is there any real financial progression in pharmacy other than trying to open your own shop?

Members don't see this ad.

With wags cutting a district level Rx manager who is going to manage all the regulatory process changes? Updating PIC, pharmacy licenses, PoA forms etc. who is going to respond to the intensely crazy customer complaints especially if the ops DM isn't a pharmacist and doesn't know that drug from this drug when talking to a customer?

The DM and RXS hardly tell us about new laws or regulatory changes. We get most of the information directly from corporate through COMPASS. It tells us about drug recalls, law changes, policy changes, etc. And with walgreens pushing more responsibility on the community leaders, the CLs will probably be the ones to take on the outrageous customer complaints. The good thing about them is that these are usually seasoned store managers that know the pharmacy staff and they deal with the crazies more often than DMs do, so they have more sympathy for us. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

DM bonus is upwards $50k. Base salary is ~$150-160k so it's possible to hit 200k if you have a good year and get the bonus.

Members don't see this ad :)
DM bonus is upwards $50k. Base salary is ~$150-160k so it's possible to hit 200k if you have a good year and get the bonus.

Right, easily 200k salary and bonus and that is not counting stock, car (or mileage), benefits, 401k match, etc.

There is high turnover at some chains, they are just as accountable for unattainable targets as the store.

if he got laid off, doesn't he get unemployment benefits? the state benefits will last around 26 weeks, then the federal kicks in for 1-2 years? also as a DM he should have plenty of savings. and 401k?

What is the incentive to be DM if the pay is about the same or only slightly better? There's only a few DMs per a state so your chances are slim to none for a position that barely compensates you more. Is there any real financial progression in pharmacy other than trying to open your own shop?

Not much! If you are a great rxm with Wags you can take home 160-180 incl stocks ... DM yeah you may get 200 and there is company car, expense account, and more stocks , but from what I hear they are on the road 3-4 days per week minimum .. not an easy job .. only hope is to make it to a regional position .. of which there are only a handful .. now you know they are making 200+as BASE and don't have to leave the office much .. but it isn't an easy job to be in the top 5-10% of district mgr which you need to be to get promoted to regional

When I was in the mid-west a few years ago, I became a good friend of my DM. Very hard-working, knew us all by name, always tried to make sure corporate would listen to issues to have them fixed, etc. He was part of my inspiration to go into retail.
We just spoke over the phone and I found out that he was laid-off due to restructuring just 3 months ago.
He's married with 2 young kids and a stay-at-home wife/mom.
The company didn't even give him the option to move because the same restructuring issues will take place nationwide.
He wasn't even offered the chance to go back to being a pharmacy manager or staff pharmacist. Heck, he even offered to be a floater but corporate said that they don't make such maneuvers and are even planning on laying off plenty of pharmacists.

What does one do in a situation like this?
This sentence of his is still haunting me: "I have about an year tops before my family faces destitution."
Obviously, being in retail and management for so long has left him as an undesirable candidate for many regular pharmacy jobs.
The closest thing he has to a possible job is a store manager for a Modell's or a Vitamin Shoppe nearby and is seriously considering taking these positions and having his wife return to work as well.

Hearing things like these has me thinking that I better get an exit strategy and quit before I'm told to quit or before I burnout and quit.

A good multi-store retailer district manager is highly in demand. If he has a proven track record in improving sales, team development, etc..., he should have no problem finding a job. If he is interested in NYS, I can forward his resume to my DM...

At CVS, Rx Sups and DM are offered a position at the store level if they are unsuccessful at their role, or dont want to deal with the bs anymore, because a lot of them were successful pharmacy and store managers. It makes no sense cutting your best talent.

An analogy is me promoting a technician to a lead tech due to the technician being awesome. If I have to take away the lead tech position due to budget cuts or my store not making scripts, I would make her a tech, not fire her.

Not much! If you are a great rxm with Wags you can take home 160-180 incl stocks ... DM yeah you may get 200 and there is company car, expense account, and more stocks , but from what I hear they are on the road 3-4 days per week minimum .. not an easy job .. only hope is to make it to a regional position .. of which there are only a handful .. now you know they are making 200+as BASE and don't have to leave the office much .. but it isn't an easy job to be in the top 5-10% of district mgr which you need to be to get promoted to regional

This is not true. DMs get about RXM salary. IF you factor in bonus, which vary dramatically, you're looking at 140-150k, nowhere close to 200k. RXMs for the majority of the stores will not hit 160k, even with stocks. I am RXM and I know many RXMs and have several in DM positions. A DM who's hitting 200k a year is probably in NYC or SF bay area.

This is not true. DMs get about RXM salary. IF you factor in bonus, which vary dramatically, you're looking at 140-150k, nowhere close to 200k. RXMs for the majority of the stores will not hit 160k, even with stocks. I am RXM and I know many RXMs and have several in DM positions.

Must vary by district. Where I'm at, the absolute minimum an rxm is making is 145 .. and that is with failing all metrics

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke with one of the state inspectors last week when he dropped by for an inspection; he said Walgreens is now hiring new grads in California for $40-something an hour.

He lied to you.

I spoke with one of the state inspectors last week when he dropped by for an inspection; he said Walgreens is now hiring new grads in California for $40-something an hour.

Jesus... And that is happening in California ??

When he said that, I told him, "bull ****!" He repeated himself and emphasized "new grads" but my staff and I had the WTF look on our faces.

So what would you make out of that news ?? I did not think that would hit new grads that soon...

So what would you make out of that news ?? I did not think that would hit new grads that soon...

I was shocked when I heard it and just as shocked after I confirmed it with him. He visits many, many stores and talks with many pharmacists, so even if it is an isolated incident, it's still happening.

As for the original post, yes, plan for the worst because sht happens.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not really surprised if that is the case and I'm sure other chains would follow. It would take a while to replace everyone with new grads, which is the idea. I understand everyone has bills to pay. Some have loans larger than others. The job is not worth it in the $40s for what they want people to do. And I'm sure this will add to more turnover as well. On the bright side, the raises are pretty significant with CVS if you are on the left side of the bell curve.

He is getting a good offer from a North Dakota independent pharmacy right now with the opportunity to partake in some ownership/investment eventually.
He would mainly start out as staff.
He sees this business as being on the rise and thinks that the timing is perfect.
The store design impressed him as well. It seems very pharmacist-centered.
His first responsibilities will be setting up a machine for them, increasing their compounding acumen, etc.
Any downsides he should be worried about? What kind of questions should he ask?

He is getting a good offer from a North Dakota independent pharmacy right now with the opportunity to partake in some ownership/investment eventually.
He would mainly start out as staff.
He sees this business as being on the rise and thinks that the timing is perfect.
The store design impressed him as well. It seems very pharmacist-centered.
His first responsibilities will be setting up a machine for them, increasing their compounding acumen, etc.
Any downsides he should be worried about? What kind of questions should he ask?
Are you talking about yourself?

There are a lot of questions here that need to be addressed. Agreements, ownership, profit sharing... just to name a few. Ownership eventually? Sounds like your friend isn't selling his skill sets properly.

Rofl. I wouldn't believe it for a second. I have seen at least 8 offers for wags this year , among colleagues, New hire staff, classmates, and in my personal experience .. this is across 3 markets , 4 districts, range was $58-65/hr for new grad floater .. I will grant that some markets have kept the same starting salary for 2-3 years now (the urban low COL saturated ones) while staff got nominal raises.. which is basically a 1-3% real starting rate decrease .. but $40/hr ? Not buying it... If it's true, 90% of those hires will leave company for greener pastures , which is gonna cost more than their salary difference when turnover skyrockets . Sounds like an inspector who likes to think they are smarter than they are.

I am not really surprised if that is the case and I'm sure other chains would follow. It would take a while to replace everyone with new grads, which is the idea. I understand everyone has bills to pay. Some have loans larger than others. The job is not worth it in the $40s for what they want people to do. And I'm sure this will add to more turnover as well. On the bright side, the raises are pretty significant with CVS if you are on the left side of the bell curve.

CVS raises are nothing to sneeze at, that is for sure

Rofl. I wouldn't believe it for a second. I have seen at least 8 offers for wags this year , among colleagues, New hire staff, classmates, and in my personal experience .. this is across 3 markets , 4 districts, range was $58-65/hr for new grad floater .. I will grant that some markets have kept the same starting salary for 2-3 years now (the urban low COL saturated ones) while staff got nominal raises.. which is basically a 1-3% real starting rate decrease .. but $40/hr ? Not buying it... If it's true, 90% of those hires will leave company for greener pastures , which is gonna cost more than their salary difference when turnover skyrockets . Sounds like an inspector who likes to think they are smarter than they are.

I hope he is not lying for shock effect... But at the current rate new schools opening and pumping out new grads, the salary might head there soon...

Midwest are getting hired at $50, must be a California thing

I have confirmation that new grads for CVS in North Cali are starting at 67-68/ hr...

This is not true. DMs get about RXM salary. IF you factor in bonus, which vary dramatically, you're looking at 140-150k, nowhere close to 200k. RXMs for the majority of the stores will not hit 160k, even with stocks. I am RXM and I know many RXMs and have several in DM positions. A DM who's hitting 200k a year is probably in NYC or SF bay area.

Is this for Wags?

I am a pharmacy store manager and my base is 150k. After I factor in holidays, bonus, etc.. it trends toward 160k. It is hard to imagine that I make more than my boss.

I asked my boss and he said that supervisors make around 150k to 160k. However, they have up to 28 percent cash bonus performance base. In addition, they have stock options and equity which can significantly add money. I heard one supervisor got 100k stock options.

I know that when I cashed out my small stock option of 1k granted in 09... I got 3k cash after taxes last year...

If I was given 100k... that would have been 300k cash after tax?

It doesn't sound right but on the other hand, if my supervisor (and he is really good at what he does) is not making targets for bonuses... bc we know how the targets can be, then I am sure he gets nothing.

Is this for Wags?

I am a pharmacy store manager and my base is 150k. After I factor in holidays, bonus, etc.. it trends toward 160k. It is hard to imagine that I make more than my boss.

I asked my boss and he said that supervisors make around 150k to 160k. However, they have up to 28 percent cash bonus performance base. In addition, they have stock options and equity which can significantly add money. I heard one supervisor got 100k stock options.

I know that when I cashed out my small stock option of 1k granted in 09... I got 3k cash after taxes last year...

It doesn't sound right but on the other hand, if my supervisor (and he is really good at what he does) is not making targets for bonuses... bc we know how the targets can be, then I am sure he gets nothing.

Funny, I remember in another thread a year or two ago, you mentioned pulling crazy OT hours just to break 160k? lol. ANYWAY....

I don;t doubt there may be some rxms that are pulling 150k but that is not usual and very uncommon. Give me your district and I can confirm easily.

Last edited:

Correct. Walgreens is not hiring anyone at 40/hr. I have good sources. Everyone in my district that got hired was 56$+. They have gotten rid of the lucrative OT pay and mandated miniscule bonuses and marginal yearly pay increases but they're not hiring people <55/hr.

Last edited:
I have confirmation that new grads for CVS in North Cali are starting at 67-68/ hr...

Let's leave certain areas of Cali and NYC out of this, okay? I know hospital pharmacists in Cali that are pulling 75/hr...so ....

Wags in FL paying new grads mid-50s/hr in the stores. But only $46 for the work at home positions.

I don't think they RX sup makes 200k/year. I was on rotation with a sup and he mentioned some of his pharmacists made more than him if they picked up some shifts

Can't speak for all chains, but at Wag, the DM and RxSup make around 120K/year as a base salary. Their bonuses for metrics and store performances is where they can tack on another 30-60K/year.

Can't speak for all chains, but at Wag, the DM and RxSup make around 120K/year as a base salary. Their bonuses for metrics and store performances is where they can tack on another 30-60K/year.

It depends very highly on district it seems.

Is this for Wags?

This is pretty accurate. Rx Sup has a target cash bonus of 22% and DM target cash bonus of 28%. The stock is complicated. DM gets a lot more stock and its a combo of stock options and restricted stock units. Rx sup just gets stock options.

In CA, DM makes AT LEAST 70+/hr.

Socal:
CVS staff in SoCal makes at least 65/hr. Norcal 67/hr. 130-134k
RAD staff 62/h. 124k
WMT staff 65/hr. 130k

I've seen some in the boonies pharmacy manager make 75/hr in CA. There is a set pay range for every store. High volume, outside of civilization has almost $8 difference from the best area.

There is NO way a DM will get paid less than pharmacy manager ((+)5-10) extra from staff. Pharmacy manager bonus 5-15k. DM bonus is more than double this.

Funny, I remember in another thread a year or two ago, you mentioned pulling crazy OT hours just to break 160k? lol. ANYWAY....

I don;t doubt there may be some rxms that are pulling 150k but that is not usual and very uncommon. Give me your district and I can confirm easily.

That would be about almost 3 years ago in 2012. I know, it is a good life... I used to work crazy OT to make what I am making now. That is why I smile when people on this forum accuse me of drinking the cool aid... I did good and got rewarded for it.

You don't want to know how much I make with OT.... ;)

Are you a pharmacy supervisor for Wags or CVS? I understand that compensation varies differently among companies. Rite Aid Sups for example are paid a pittance.

Let's leave certain areas of Cali and NYC out of this, okay? I know hospital pharmacists in Cali that are pulling 75/hr...so ....

I know that I am from New York. I do think that our pay structure is worse than other areas. The reason why is everyone wants to work here. I know of new grads in Connecticut 60-100 miles north starting at 10 dollars more than new grads in my area.

Cali definitely starts higher... and that is why I call BS on 40/hr for new grad.

I don't want to out my district or region... bc I want to remain anonymous. Only Sparda met me before when I was doing crazy OT back then and floated at his store. I think I have worked in at least 70 CVS...

Because I volunteered a lot of information (top pay structure, floats a lot, high volume store, good at what I do, and my location), people can easily figure out who I am.

Due to the hiring freeze, he will not be replaced? A neighboring DM will manage two districts?

That would be about almost 3 years ago in 2012. I know, it is a good life... I used to work crazy OT to make what I am making now. That is why I smile when people on this forum accuse me of drinking the cool aid... I did good and got rewarded for it.

You don't want to know how much I make with OT.... ;)

Are you a pharmacy supervisor for Wags or CVS? I understand that compensation varies differently among companies. Rite Aid Sups for example are paid a pittance.

I am rxm with walgreens. I have a few good friends who are rxs and one is a DM...not all walgreens though.

As for how much you make with OT, I never really care for that. You just worked more for more pay. You earned it.

I know that I am from New York. I do think that our pay structure is worse than other areas. The reason why is everyone wants to work here. I know of new grads in Connecticut 60-100 miles north starting at 10 dollars more than new grads in my area.

Cali definitely starts higher... and that is why I call BS on 40/hr for new grad.

I also agree; Wags is not hiring anyone that I know below 56+...so that story is bogus...especially in Cali.

You're like the only guy in here who has a clue what he is talking about. Congrats to you. Everyone thinks DMs are pulling 200k base..gtfo.

Like I've said before, RxS base is very similiar to rxm

I guess pay structure may indeed vary from state to state, district to district. But, here in South Florida, salaries aren't the greatest. New grads are hired on at $54.50/hr, RxM's make $58-65/hr on average and RxM's and DM's are lucky to pull in 175K/year. But, we are also a very saturated market/region in a state with no income tax.

Edit: New grads is $54.75/hr.

I guess pay structure may indeed vary from state to state, district to district. But, here in South Florida, salaries aren't the greatest. New grads are hired on at $54.50/hr, RxM's make $58-65/hr on average and RxM's and DM's are lucky to pull in 175K/year. But, we are also a very saturated market/region in a state with no income tax.

Edit: New grads is $54.75/hr.

It's pretty much the same everywhere accounting tax and cost of living. Big factors that differentiate salary are your metrics, rx volume, sh1tty area (bum fu3k egypt).