MD 37 MCAT, 3.8 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dissent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where could I realistically expect to get in? I would like to attend my undergrad institution's medical school. Realistic? I heard that UF's med school is not really stat-based in terms of admissions.

Note that the MCAT score is predicted from the results of several practice tests.

Biology major.
Florida resident; University of Florida.
cGPA: 3.8
sGPA: 3.7

Here are my ECs:

1) Undergraduate TA for general chemistry (two semesters) and biochemistry (two semesters)

2) Volunteered in various departments (mainly ER) at university-affiliated hospital (cumulative 200 hours)

3) Mentor and later executive board member of mentoring organization which works with underprivileged children at a local high school (since freshman year to present)

4) Tapped by a co-founder to work for a major local tutoring organization (happened freshman year). I had to later give up working for them and instead volunteered my time there because I became a TA. Helped develop content review guides on a purely voluntary basis (never received any revenue or money).

5) Work in a research lab (three semesters).

6) Chemistry club. Promoted local chemical literacy; organized competitions, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Aim high with those GPAs and come back when you have your MCAT score. I'd start with all FL schools.

Where could I realistically expect to get in? I would like to attend my undergrad institution's medical school. Realistic? I heard that UF's med school is not really stat-based in terms of admissions.

Note that the MCAT score is predicted from the results of several practice tests.

Biology major.
Florida resident; University of Florida.
cGPA: 3.8
sGPA: 3.7

Here are my ECs:

1) Undergraduate TA for general chemistry (two semesters) and biochemistry (two semesters)

2) Volunteered in various departments (mainly ER) at university-affiliated hospital (cumulative 200 hours)

3) Mentor and later executive board member of mentoring organization which works with underprivileged children at a local high school (since freshman year to present)

4) Tapped by a co-founder to work for a major local tutoring organization (happened freshman year). I had to later give up working for them and instead volunteered my time there because I became a TA. Helped develop content review guides on a purely voluntary basis (never received any revenue or money).

5) Work in a research lab (three semesters).

6) Chemistry club. Promoted local chemical literacy; organized competitions, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you. I think I'll just stick with applying to in-state schools because well, in-state tuition. On the other hand I still want to aim higher. Do you have any OOS school suggestions? I know you wrote to get a feel for the school instead of committing to one on the basis of its name alone but if you had any target or reach schools for me that'd be great. Thanks again.

If you can score your averages, you can aim top/high tier, but often averages are definitely not the end all or indicative of what score you may actually get. Make potential school lists if you'd like, but nobody can really help you make an accurate list without a real mcat score