37 MCAT, 3.84 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheepdog1992

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering if you all could give some feedback about my chances at some schools. Here are my stats.

Designated as white (not minority)
I'm applying MD and possibly MD/PhD

Texas resident
Major: Neurobiology
GPA: 3.84 (science GPA is probably around 3.75 - 3.8)
MCAT: 37 (14 physical sciences, 13 biological, 10 verbal)
Research: 2 years
-presented a poster twice (my research project)
-helped with mouse neurosurgery, PCR, RNA extraction, staining, microscopy, etc
-no publication
Volunteered in Nicaragua For one week (only volunteer exp)
Taught general chemistry for MCAT for the Princeton Review for one semester
Co-founded a charitable organization
Choreographer for dance group (!)
160 hours of shadowing

I'm curious about my chances at schools like Harvard, Stanford, etc
I'm probably applying to around 15 schools (Texas schools included).

I appreciate any responses. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Weak ECs and lack of patient contact experience will get you rejected. You need to show us what you're getting into, and that you're not merely a PhD wannabe. Have you even set foot in a hospital?

Hey all,

I was wondering if you all could give some feedback about my chances at some schools. Here are my stats.

Designated as white (not minority)
I'm applying MD and possibly MD/PhD

Texas resident
Major: Neurobiology
GPA: 3.84 (science GPA is probably around 3.75 - 3.8)
MCAT: 37 (14 physical sciences, 13 biological, 10 verbal)
Research: 2 years
-presented a poster twice (my research project)
-helped with mouse neurosurgery, PCR, RNA extraction, staining, microscopy, etc
-no publication
Volunteered in Nicaragua For one week (only volunteer exp)
Taught general chemistry for MCAT for the Princeton Review for one semester
Co-founded a charitable organization
Choreographer for dance group (!)
160 hours of shadowing

I'm curious about my chances at schools like Harvard, Stanford, etc
I'm probably applying to around 15 schools (Texas schools included).

I appreciate any responses. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Weak ECs and lack of patient contact experience will get you rejected. You need to show us what you're getting into, and that you're not merely a PhD wannabe. Have you even set foot in a hospital?

The 160 hours of shadowing...? A third were in a hospital + I interned in a hospital for a month (it was basically paid shadowing).

Members don't see this ad :)
Shadowing is seeing what a doctor's day is like (and 20-50 hrs is fine), and appreciating the differences between the different specialites. You need some patient CONTACT experience. Push some people around in wheels chairs. Take histories, talk to families of injured patients. This is how you show us that ou want to be around these people, which, so far, you haven't. You do like being around doctors, that's clear.

A career in Medicine is not a reward for being smart or a good student. It's a priviledge that has to be earned.

The 160 hours of shadowing...? A third were in a hospital + I interned in a hospital for a month (it was basically paid shadowing).

Reactions: 1 users
Shadowing is seeing what a doctor's day is like (and 20-50 hrs is fine), and appreciating the differences between the different specialites. You need some patient CONTACT experience. Push some people around in wheels chairs. Take histories, talk to families of injured patients. This is how you show us that ou want to be around these people, which, so far, you haven't. You do like being around doctors, that's clear.

A career in Medicine is not a reward for being smart or a good student. It's a priviledge that has to be earned.

Ah ok, I was unclear on what you meant. I appreciate the feedback. I'll look for opportunities like that if possible.

Ah ok, I was unclear on what you meant. I appreciate the feedback. I'll look for opportunities like that if possible.
Basically Goro is saying you need clinical volunteering. Look for a free clinic etc. And just volunteer. Once you get this I think you will be golden. Your stats are amazing. But try to do about 100 hours over this summer in total.

Reactions: 1 users
Basically Goro is saying you need clinical volunteering. Look for a free clinic etc. And just volunteer. Once you get this I think you will be golden. Your stats are amazing. But try to do about 100 hours over this summer in total.

On that volunteering -- know that you will have a MUCH easier time finding an open volunteer spot that nobody else wants: Nursing home, homeless, hospice, disabled, AIDS. The 'good' spots (upscale suburban hospitals) have long waiting lists. You need to rack up some hours fast...

Reactions: 3 users