3D printing & rad onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I've gathered, the latest and greatest in creating custom electron cut-outs is 3D printing. Block rooms are becoming dinosaurs.

I'm curious if attendings on this forum have started to use third parties to create blocks or are creating their own blocks in house.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 3d printer but have never tried to make an electron cutout with it. I'll have to look into what plastic people are using, fill density, etc. and will talk to our physics staff about QA testing one.

I've been talking about this with my physics team fairly extensively. I think it's far too early to call block rooms "dinosaurs" - from a cost standpoint, it's not yet clear that 3D printing is going to offer any advantages over traditional electron block making.

If I were a company like .decimal, however, I would be worried. For the cost of only a few of their custom boluses you could get pretty close to getting a 3D printing program up and running. I don't use their products very much at all, but if I did I would be looking into 3D printing tech.

If I were a company like .decimal, however, I would be worried. For the cost of only a few of their custom boluses you could get pretty close to getting a 3D printing program up and running. I don't use their products very much at all, but if I did I would be looking into 3D printing tech.

It's funny how far .decimal's pricing has plummeted with the widespread adoption of electronic brachy for skin cancers.