3rd time applicant - need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carbon1211

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are so many threads out there like this that may be similar but not exactly the same as my story so I want to see what people think about my chances and where I should apply and of I should wait a year and take a ton of classes or go for it this year again....

Here are my stats:
19AA 19TS 19 Bio 19 gen Chem 20 ochem 20PA 18RC 18QR

3.05science
2.95BCP
3.29overall
(Including + / - )

Without +/- is 3.11, 2.96, 3.33

After this spring semester and with a 3 week online bio class I could get it up to 3.0BCP before I turn in my app

I have been a full time dental assistant for 2.5 years

I only applied to 6 schools(mistake I know)... only got one interview (Marquette)

I am an Illinois resident but live and work in Wisconsin so I could apply as a wisconsin resident next year...

I know many people will say take more BCP classes. But if I'm working full time, would 6 ish credits in the summer and next fall be helpful enough?

I plan to apply to 20 schools including:
Western University
ASDOH
MOSDOH
Creighton
Roseman
SIU
Midwestern IL and Arizona
UIC
Indiana
University of Buffalo
ULSD
Loma Linda
LECOM
Nova
Temple
UNLV
NYU
UNE
Case Western

Any advice is appreciated! !!

Members don't see this ad.

What did you do to improve your application before the 2nd time you applied?

What did you do to improve your application before the 2nd time you applied?

Not much to be honest.

All did was retake the DAT while continuing to work as a Dental assistant and changed my personal statement and got better letter of evaluation

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you, take more classes, get As only. Retake DAT and get at least a 23AA, 20PAT.

If I were you, take more classes, get As only. Retake DAT and get at least a 23AA, 20PAT.
So should I even apply this cycle? Or apply ad update the schools with new DAT scores and post bac classes as the cycle continues?

I wouldn't apply at all cause your going to show no updates or advancement by the time you submit the application. Save yourself the $10,000 and get ready to apply seriously the year after.

I wouldn't apply at all cause your going to show no updates or advancement by the time you submit the application. Save yourself the $10,000 and get ready to apply seriously the year after.

My DAT was taken kinda late last year (Sept 1st) so I was thinking having the score available the first day could help. I will also have 7 new science credits with A's under my belt before I submit. But yes, that isn't much so maybe I should just take a year to buckle down ...

I know there are so many threads out there like this that may be similar but not exactly the same as my story so I want to see what people think about my chances and where I should apply and of I should wait a year and take a ton of classes or go for it this year again....

Here are my stats:

3.05science
2.95BCP
3.29overall
(Including + / - )

After this spring semester and with a 3 week online bio class I could get it up to 3.0BCP before I turn in my app

I only applied to 6 schools(mistake I know)... only got one interview (Marquette)

I am an Illinois resident but live and work in Wisconsin so I could apply as a wisconsin resident next year...

I know many people will say take more BCP classes. But if I'm working full time, would 6 ish credits in the summer and next fall be helpful enough?

Western University
ASDOH
MOSDOH
Creighton
Roseman
SIU
UIC
Indiana
University of Buffalo
ULSD
Loma Linda
LECOM
Nova
Temple
UNLV
NYU
UNE
Case Western

If you want to improve your chances of acceptance to over 90% get a Masters degree and reapply.

I dont think Loma Linda accepts anything below a 19 in every section

I dont think Loma Linda accepts anything below a 19 in every section

I jusr called checked on that. They said 18 in QR isn't a big deal but they don't like to see 18 in the RC section because there is usually a trend B/W scores in that section and how well you do on boards

-

Last edited:
I've seen you post a few times and every time you do it's false information. Before you press "post reply" check your facts.
Its not false.....18 is not a big deal I guess for QR. but they dont accept other sections if its not 19+

Its not false.....18 is not a big deal I guess for QR. but they dont accept other sections if its not 19+

From Loma Linda's website:

"A science GPA of 3.3 or higher is recommended.
DAT scores of 19 or higher are recommended."

"Q: What DAT scores are competitive?
A: To be competitive, a scores of 20 or above in all areas are advised"

That does not mean they automatically deny you for having an 18 in any given section. .....

Members don't see this ad :)
Get your application in early, like within 2 weeks of the cycle opening and get your secondary apps in within a day of receiving them and cross your fingers. Applying to a lot of schools is a good strategy

Reactions: 1 user
Get your application in early, like within 2 weeks of the cycle opening and get your secondary apps in within a day of receiving them and cross your fingers. Applying to a lot of schools is a good strategy

Do you think its okay to wait until June 25 when my online course finishes so my BCP GPA meets that 3.0 requirement of some schools before hitting submit?. Everything else would be complete the first week. Most schools on my list told me that's still early because they won't start reviewing apps until late July, so my GPA should hypothetically be verified by then.

Do you think its okay to wait until June 25 when my online course finishes so my BCP GPA meets that 3.0 requirement of some schools before hitting submit?. Everything else would be complete the first week. Most schools on my list told me that's still early because they won't start reviewing apps until late July, so my GPA should hypothetically be verified by then.
If you are sure that one grade would bring you out of the 2's and into the 3's for BCP GPA that benefit most likely outweighs being 2-3 weeks earlier in submission. You might avoid some automatic rejections by getting up to 3.0 where your file wasn't even reviewed. So get that good grade then submit immediately

Last edited:
Tha
If you are sure that one grade would bring you out of the 2's and into the 3's for BCP GPA that benefit most likely outweighs being 2-3 weeks earlier in submission. You might avoid some automatic rejections by getting up to 3.0 where your file wasn't even reviewed. So got that good grade then submit immediately
Thanks! Yeah I calculated it like 4 times to make sure I wasn't making a mistake but it will be like exactly 3.000

All you need to do is retake your DAT. If you retake it and get above a 21 AA and above, I would 100 % recommend you apply, If you do not get a solid score on it, you will need to re apply next year..

All you need to do is retake your DAT. If you retake it and get above a 21 AA and above, I would 100 % recommend you apply, If you do not get a solid score on it, you will need to re apply next year..

@Carbon1211 I would recommend you either take more classes or go for a MS degree before applying. You have to raise that GPA, even with a score of 21 AA (even 25) they want that GPA a little higher.

I have a 3.0 overall 3.1 science and got in with a 22. It's up to you if you want to take the safe less annoying route. But if you apply early and get better letters and a higher score you should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have a 3.0 overall 3.1 science and got in with a 22. It's up to you if you want to take the safe less annoying route. But if you apply early and get better letters and a higher score you should be fine

Thanks for sharing! Did you do any post bacc? Where did you get into? I am definitely taking classes this summer and fall and may think about retaking the DAT but I still want to apply this year while I do all that. I am on the alternate list at Marquette though and I am nervous that I will submit my app and money and then end up getting in this cycle. AT the same time, I don't want to risk applying late for next cycle either. Argh

Thanks for sharing! Did you do any post bacc? Where did you get into? I am definitely taking classes this summer and fall and may think about retaking the DAT but I still want to apply this year while I do all that. I am on the alternate list at Marquette though and I am nervous that I will submit my app and money and then end up getting in this cycle. AT the same time, I don't want to risk applying late for next cycle either. Argh
I did not do a post bac, I got into indiana university school of dentistry, I had 5 interview offers and I am waitlisted at 3 other schools currently and declined one offer. That is a pretty tough decision, but I think you should be starting to study for the DAT again right now, and planning to take it again probably in mid june. If you dont hear anything back by then, send in your app.

I did not do a post bac, I got into indiana university school of dentistry, I had 5 interview offers and I am waitlisted at 3 other schools currently and declined one offer. That is a pretty tough decision, but I think you should be starting to study for the DAT again right now, and planning to take it again probably in mid june. If you dont hear anything back by then, send in your app.

5 interviews is good! How many schools did you apply to total? I don't know if I'll have time to study because I work full time and am currently taking two classes and will start another Bio class in June that's 3 credits in 3 weeks. I am doing this before I submit because Roseman University told me they look at your last 30 Science credits only and they changed their requirement to be 3.0 or above to receive the supplemental (was 2.8 last year) and I had a C in one of my last 30 credits so I won't have that 3.0 without another class.

I really it's dangerous when people like you come on this forum and give others a false sense of hope.

There's a few possibilities as to why you, not an average accepted applicant, were accepted.
1. There's some extravagant thing on your application that you aren't telling us
2. You're URM
3. You're lying
4. You're not lying and the schools needed to balance their GPA score with a lower one
5. You have some internal connection.

Every one and every situation is different, but it's bad that you are telling people to apply with below average stats. Stop it.

@Carbon1211 I'm meaning no offense to you, I'm just trying to warn you that you will need to do something to better your application in regards to your GPA. If you apply now with your current application you have a subpar chance of getting in. Your chances will statistically increase for acceptance if you go for a MS or another advanced degree. You are in a perfect position to do that and show these schools you are serious and can work hard and do well in upper division graduate courses. You could also not listen to me and apply and you might get in, but again statistics are not in your favor as of right now.

I really it's dangerous when people like you come on this forum and give others a false sense of hope.

There's a few possibilities as to why you, not an average accepted applicant, were accepted.
1. There's some extravagant thing on your application that you aren't telling us
2. You're URM
3. You're lying
4. You're not lying and the schools needed to balance their GPA score with a lower one
5. You have some internal connection.

Every one and every situation is different, but it's bad that you are telling people to apply with below average stats. Stop it.

@Carbon1211 I'm meaning no offense to you, I'm just trying to warn you that you will need to do something to better your application in regards to your GPA. If you apply now with your current application you have a subpar chance of getting in. Your chances will statistically increase for acceptance if you go for a MS or another advanced degree. You are in a perfect position to do that and show these schools you are serious and can work hard and do well in upper division graduate courses. You could also not listen to me and apply and you might get in, but again statistics are not in your favor as of right now.

dude, its really dangerous when people like you come on this forum.

1) What can be so "extravagant" in your eyes, you clearly only think that your G.P.A and D.A.T score is all that matters to get in. I had solid extra carriculars but I did not find the cure for cancer..
2)I am not a URM
3) I am not lying.. There would be no point for me to do that?
4) I applied early and got 5 pre december interviews...
5) I got accepted to Indiana University and live in michigan, so... yeah.

If he re-applies with a solid DAT score he has a very good shot. Schools like when students are persistent, if he comes back with a DAT score that is two points higher they will know that he is someone who is resilient and a hard worker. These schools obviously know who he is, he just needs to keep in good contact with them

It is not all about the stats, it is a lot about the character of the student. Schools know that students have trouble in undergrad with serious issues, for me someone in my family got sick. They understand that. When I smashed my DAT they were reassured that I was a very educated student. I think it is rude of you to assume all those things of someone because they simply have a lower G.P.A. It is insulting to the schools as well.

B.T.W I never guaranteed him an acceptance, I simply told him if I could do it there might be a chance he could as well. Which is not wrong by any means.

Last edited:
5 interviews is good! How many schools did you apply to total? I don't know if I'll have time to study because I work full time and am currently taking two classes and will start another Bio class in June that's 3 credits in 3 weeks. I am doing this before I submit because Roseman University told me they look at your last 30 Science credits only and they changed their requirement to be 3.0 or above to receive the supplemental (was 2.8 last year) and I had a C in one of my last 30 credits so I won't have that 3.0 without another class.
I applied to about 17 schools. I think if you really want to be a dentist you need to find time to study for that DAT again before it is too late to apply early this cycle. Your best odds are if you apply early. You should also try and do a lot more community service. Schools love that, plus it is good for your own self..I studied for my DAT while taking 2 classes in the summer. You need to just go all or nothing man! and you need to get a 3.5 + in all the grades you submit from here on out.

I applied to about 17 schools. I think if you really want to be a dentist you need to find time to study for that DAT again before it is too late to apply early this cycle. Your best odds are if you apply early. You should also try and do a lot more community service. Schools love that, plus it is good for your own self..I studied for my DAT while taking 2 classes in the summer. You need to just go all or nothing man! and you need to get a 3.5 + in all the grades you submit from here on out.

I know re doing the DAT is a quicker and easier thing sometimes, but my top choice schools told me to focus on the gpa first. I am not the kind of person who could re take that now (a year later) and do better without a couple months studying, so I'm going to wait on that.

I do have a tone of Extracurriculars. Was the president of like 3 orgs Im Undergrad, did a mission trip to Ecuador, was also a member of a couple other orgs that I was less involved in, worked part time through school, etc

@dyesht that was kinda mean to call them a liar. I do agree that gpa is the best bet right now. Dentalschneez is right though that it's not just about stats. The only reason I think I have a shot is because of the 2.5 years dental assisting and my thousands of hours of extracurriculars. I do believe you have to be well rounded. I also think if I got one interview out of 6 schools this year (and I did not pick "easy" OOS schools), then I could get at least a couple more if I applied to 20 schools. Maybe not on December 1st but if I could at least get waitlisted to a couple and have an academic update with 15 credits of higher level chem and bio post bacc work this fall, then that's a year earlier of getting into school. I really don't want to wait another year.

I know re doing the DAT is a quicker and easier thing sometimes, but my top choice schools told me to focus on the gpa first. I am not the kind of person who could re take that now (a year later) and do better without a couple months studying, so I'm going to wait on that.

I do have a tone of Extracurriculars. Was the president of like 3 orgs Im Undergrad, did a mission trip to Ecuador, was also a member of a couple other orgs that I was less involved in, worked part time through school, etc

@dyesht that was kinda mean to call them a liar. I do agree that gpa is the best bet right now. Dentalschneez is right though that it's not just about stats. The only reason I think I have a shot is because of the 2.5 years dental assisting and my thousands of hours of extracurriculars. I do believe you have to be well rounded. I also think if I got one interview out of 6 schools this year (and I did not pick "easy" OOS schools), then I could get at least a couple more if I applied to 20 schools. Maybe not on December 1st but if I could at least get waitlisted to a couple and have an academic update with 15 credits of higher level chem and bio post bacc work this fall, then that's a year earlier of getting into school. I really don't want to wait another year.

If your top choice school told you to improve your GPA I would certainly do that! Good luck man! You will definitely make it with the determination you are showing.

If your top choice school told you to improve your GPA I would certainly do that! Good luck man! You will definitely make it with the determination you are showing.

Thank you for believing in me! And congrats on getting in yourself!

dude, its really dangerous when people like you come on this forum.

1) What can be so "extravagant" in your eyes, you clearly only think that your G.P.A and D.A.T score is all that matters to get in. I had solid extra carriculars but I did not find the cure for cancer..
2)I am not a URM
3) I am not lying.. There would be no point for me to do that?
4) I applied early and got 5 pre december interviews...
5) I got accepted to Indiana University and live in michigan, so... yeah.

If he re-applies with a solid DAT score he has a very good shot. Schools like when students are persistent, if he comes back with a DAT score that is two points higher they will know that he is someone who is resilient and a hard worker. These schools obviously know who he is, he just needs to keep in good contact with them

It is not all about the stats, it is a lot about the character of the student. Schools know that students have trouble in undergrad with serious issues, for me someone in my family got sick. They understand that. When I smashed my DAT they were reassured that I was a very educated student. I think it is rude of you to assume all those things of someone because they simply have a lower G.P.A. It is insulting to the schools as well.

B.T.W I never guaranteed him an acceptance, I simply told him if I could do it there might be a chance he could as well. Which is not wrong by any means.

You're right that GPA and DAT scores aren't the only things that matter, but when filtering through thousands of applicants for a handful of spots, that is what they use first. This is generally speaking and it has been statistically shown that higher GPA and DAT scores will land you an interview and you can't argue against that.

I myself had a similar GPA to you and OP, so I'm not knocking the low GPA at all. I'm just giving advice that would assure the best chance of acceptance for OP in his situation. It's a tough road for people like us with low GPAs to get in and we had to do extra work to make our applications look great and over shadow the low stats. You have to realize that you are a minority with a low GPA, not having to take extra classes/getting an advanced degree, and getting into dental school. That's all I want the OP to know.

Watch the free student videos at dentalmaverick.com, see how you feel, reevalute whatever mistakes you made in application and then fix those in the app or interview process and feel confident and thankful for those mistakes and you will shine when interviewing

Watch the free student videos at dentalmaverick.com, see how you feel, reevalute whatever mistakes you made in application and then fix those in the app or interview process and feel confident and thankful for those mistakes and you will shine when interviewing
Hadn't heard of this before but I just went to the site. Thank you!

I'm going to suggest that you do a postbac or SMP. If you can manage a good GPA in there, it'll make the difference between you being a marginal candidate and being a very competitive one.

You need to show the admissions folks that you can do WELL in tough science classes.

DAT is probably the easiest and most efficient boost you can get that is most bang for the buck. Raising GPA after having so many credits is really hard even with straight A's.
However, if you invest 3~4 months of hard core studying, anyone should be able to get 20+ on DAT. Who knows, if you get lucky and get a lot of problems that you know rather ones you have no clue, getting 22~23 isn't impossible. I don't know how other exams are, but on my test day, my science section problems seemed overly easy I had almost 35 minutes left when finished. Try your luck and ace that exam.

Also, consider doing SMP or post-bacc program after having taken all possible BCP courses.

Here are my stats:

3.05science
2.95BCP
3.29overall
(Including + / - )

Western University
ASDOH
MOSDOH
Creighton
Roseman
SIU
UIC
Indiana
University of Buffalo
ULSD
Loma Linda
LECOM
Nova
Temple
UNLV
NYU
UNE
Case Western

I don't want to come across as 'piling on' but I just wanted to give you my personal experience. My DAT scores are basically identical to yours, I applied to 15 schools, received 11 interviews, and 8 acceptances. So, in my opinion, it's not the DAT, it's definitely the GPA. My GPA was above average (3.9+) and I think that made up for my average DAT. Given that it would be a tough road to hoe to raise your GPA significantly by only taking the 6 credits over the summer that you mention, I would do two things. First, and most obvious, retake the DAT and make that elusive 22-23, but even then it is evident by spending time on SDN that there are a lot of applicants with that score that still struggle to get Adcom's attention. Secondly, and acknowledging that you have probably already done so, spend a lot of time in school research to make sure you are applying to schools that truly match your level of competitiveness. For example, you have Case on your list. I'm not sure that your stats would be considered competitive at that school. That's just one example, but you get the point. The ADEA guide to dental schools should be your best friend in helping you decide where to apply. Having seen a lot of threads about applicants with average stats getting acceptances, that should definitely give you hope. Best of luck!!

I don't want to come across as 'piling on' but I just wanted to give you my personal experience. My DAT scores are basically identical to yours, I applied to 15 schools, received 11 interviews, and 8 acceptances. So, in my opinion, it's not the DAT, it's definitely the GPA. My GPA was above average (3.9+) and I think that made up for my average DAT. Given that it would be a tough road to hoe to raise your GPA significantly by only taking the 6 credits over the summer that you mention, I would do two things. First, and most obvious, retake the DAT and make that elusive 22-23, but even then it is evident by spending time on SDN that there are a lot of applicants with that score that still struggle to get Adcom's attention. Secondly, and acknowledging that you have probably already done so, spend a lot of time in school research to make sure you are applying to schools that truly match your level of competitiveness. For example, you have Case on your list. I'm not sure that your stats would be considered competitive at that school. That's just one example, but you get the point. The ADEA guide to dental schools should be your best friend in helping you decide where to apply. Having seen a lot of threads about applicants with average stats getting acceptances, that should definitely give you hope. Best of luck!!
Thank you, thank you, very helpful !