3rd time applying//3rd OAT attempt, please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cub02111

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my scores from the 3rd attempt with my previous score noted...

Bio (was 210, 240): 270
Chem (was 240, 260): 310
Ochem (was 270, 280): 320
Read Comp (was 350, 340): 330
Physics (was 210, 240): 250
Quant R (was 270, 270): 270

Academic Average (was 270, 280): 290
Total Science (was 250, 260): 280

First attempt was given poor advice to "just take it and see how you do" from an OD.
Second attempt was taken after all prereq courses were completed.
Third attempt after 3 months of honest hard work, studying, review, practice problems, exams.

I have two degrees: Business Administration, Biology, Minor in Chemistry
GPA 3.04 overall. GPA from institution were I received my Science degree: 3.37

I have worked in optical/vision health since high school. Lab technician, certified optician, shadowed 11 optometrists, 5 ophthalmologists, 3 eye clinic mangers spanning a number of years.

This is what I am passionate about, and optometry is what I am going to do. I will not give up on this, I just need to know where to go from here!?

Members don't see this ad.

here are my scores from the 3rd attempt with my previous score noted...

chem (was 240, 260): 310
ochem (was 270, 280): 320
read comp (was 350, 340): 330
physics (was 210, 240): 250
quant r (was 270, 270): 270

academic average (was 270, 280): 290
total science (was 250, 260): 280

first attempt was given poor advice to "just take it and see how you do" from an od.
Third attempt after 3 months of honest hard work, studying, review, practice problems, exams.

I have two degrees: Business administration, biology, minor in chemistry
gpa 3.04 overall. Gpa from institution were i received my science degree: 3.37

i have worked in optical/vision health since high school. Lab technician, certified optician, shadowed 11 optometrists, 5 ophthalmologists, 3 eye clinic mangers spanning a number of years.

This is what i am passionate about, and optometry is what i am going to do. I will not give up on this, i just need to know where to go from here!?

lAUPR

Do you experience test anxiety? I can imagine that it is really hard to not give up. but it is impressive that you are still trying. Did u ever get any interviews from any time that you applied?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the kind words. I probably do have a small form of test anxiety. Needing to take the exam for a third time was a big metal block to overcome anyway, but the pressure to perform well with my back against the wall also got to me.

To date, I have not been extended an interview. To be honest, with my experience, extracurricular activities, and shadowing experience in the field I am a little surprised no one has invited me for a visit. My path towards optometry has been a long, rather strange one. I have definitely taken the road less traveled. But sometimes to get where you want to go it is necessary; and it can teach you a lot about yourself. I have been proactive about contacting schools and received some positive feedback, so my fingers are still crossed. However, I am prepared to retake again if need.

Thank you for the kind words. I probably do have a small form of test anxiety. Needing to take the exam for a third time was a big metal block to overcome anyway, but the pressure to perform well with my back against the wall also got to me.

To date, I have not been extended an interview. To be honest, with my experience, extracurricular activities, and shadowing experience in the field I am a little surprised no one has invited me for a visit. My path towards optometry has been a long, rather strange one. I have definitely taken the road less traveled. But sometimes to get where you want to go it is necessary; and it can teach you a lot about yourself. I have been proactive about contacting schools and received some positive feedback, so my fingers are still crossed. However, I am prepared to retake again if need.
To what schools did you apply? If only a few -- try casting a much wider net, this couldn't hurt (except that it'll cost you money in terms of fees, etc.).

I applied to ICO, IU, OSU, MCO, UMSL, SCO, NOVA, AZCO

I would apply to WUCO (Western). They are new, so it's a lot easier to get in, but their other existing health programs are quite prestigious, their optometry program will be no less. I was surprised by the comprehensiveness of their curriculum when I interviewed there.

Rso and the new school is opening in 2015... Appalachian optom

Thanks for all of these suggestions. Where/when are new schools opening? Also, I have placed an application to take the OAT again-- no schools have contacted me yet but I am assuming it needs to be retaken.

Last edited:
I highly recommend Chad's videos for the OAT! And taking as many full length practice tests as possible (and reviewing the answers of those!) Kaplan provides a lot of full length exams that simulate the interface you'll see on the actual day. Also, keep in contact with admissions! Some schools offer personal counseling sessions that will not only help you but will show the people in admissions you really want this.
Good luck!!! Don't give up! Your determination and passion is really encouraging!!

Thanks for all of these suggestions. Where/when are new schools opening? Also, I have placed an application to take the OAT again-- no schools have contacted me yet but I am assuming it needs to be retaken.
How do you feel about Puerto Rico? I read on here a few weeks ago that someone had gotten an acceptance offer without a formal interview -- I personally didn't believe that, but just relaying to you something I'd read. If your end goal is to become an optometrist no matter what, and you've applied 3 times already, maybe you should consider these other options (newer schools, Puerto Rico, etc.) because you also don't want to keep wasting years every time you reapply another cycle. If it were me, I wouldn't want to waste another year after 3 gone already trying to just get an interview. Think about it, come next year, that's 4 years, that's an OD degree no matter what school you're talking about. If you'd been in any school 3 years ago, you'd be done next year. Something to consider, best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also recommend Chad's... but definitely supplement the Quantitative Reasoning and Physics with some other study materials. From the feedback I have received, lots of practice problems and tests found from other sources (Destroyer, Achiever, CrackOAT).

I have nothing against PR, but I did not apply there this cycle. To be honest, I would like to stay in the US for schooling and I am hopeful I have enough time remaining in this cycle to better myself and gain admittance into one of the schools mentioned previously.

TheMotivator: I have looked at that thread before! It is one of the reasons I keep going myself... pretty incredible stuff.

IAUPR possibly?

Last edited:
I would apply to WUCO (Western). They are new, so it's a lot easier to get in, but their other existing health programs are quite prestigious, their optometry program will be no less. I was surprised by the comprehensiveness of their curriculum when I interviewed there.

Not always the case with new schools! I got put on hold at MCPHS for scoring less than 300 on my first attempt. They said that's the ONLY reason I was put on hold. They obviously are trying to raise their standards since the first class came in with low OAT and GPA's.

Were there any classes that you did not do too hot in? I looked at stats from schools before, and most are expecting at least a 3.2 GPA cumulative... or maybe even a stellar science GPA. Perhaps look into retaking some of those courses to bring up the average GPA.

Don't give up! Sounds like you really want it. Your moment will come :)

Reactions: 1 user
meek5: I have been proactive in contacting the schools. I sent a cover letter and resume and have had several phone conversations with a number of admissions counselors/directors. That is a very good tip (for others reading). I appreciate the well wishes.

vis1on: I too was put on hold at AZCO for scoring less than 300 on my OAT. I suspect it is also the only reason I was not granted an interview at this time. There were classes I did not perform well in, but have already corrected them and received more than satisfactory marks. However, I retook the classes at two different institutions, so the scores are averaged. It is my hope the schools can see my improvement and how well I actually performed in the classes. I will not give up, I am going to make it one way or another! Thanks for the encouragement.

First attempt was given poor advice to "just take it and see how you do" from an OD.

I have worked in optical/vision health since high school. Lab technician, certified optician, shadowed 11 optometrists, 5 ophthalmologists, 3 eye clinic mangers spanning a number of years.

This is what I am passionate about, and optometry is what I am going to do. I will not give up on this, I just need to know where to go from here!?
Maybe.....just maybe.....this isn't the career for you?

Reactions: 1 users
Don't let anybody get you down! Stay positive and go for what you want!

thanks for the motivation

Let's try to be a bit honest here.....

I play the piano. I like to play the piano. I'd love to give a recital at Carnegie Hall but no matter how much I practice, it isn't going to happen.

You've taken this test three times. Even if we discard the first one, even after completing all the pre-requisites and "3 months of honest hard work", your scores are still below average and many sections are way below average.

So maybe....optometry isn't the right fit for you. That doesn't mean you're a bad person or that you're "stupid." It just means it might be a bit of a square peg in a round hole type of situation and maybe the skills needed for optometry aren't in your wheelhouse.

Let's try to be a bit honest here.....

I play the piano. I like to play the piano. I'd love to give a recital at Carnegie Hall but no matter how much I practice, it isn't going to happen.

You've taken this test three times. Even if we discard the first one, even after completing all the pre-requisites and "3 months of honest hard work", your scores are still below average and many sections are way below average.

So maybe....optometry isn't the right fit for you. That doesn't mean you're a bad person or that you're "stupid." It just means it might be a bit of a square peg in a round hole type of situation and maybe the skills needed for optometry aren't in your wheelhouse.

I'd listen to KHE. He is a successful private practice OD. If you can't take honest criticism you won't get far in life. I know a bunch of neurotic either happy go lucky people that are always positive 100% of the time or others that their heads are so thick and far up their bunholes that they've been trying to get into MD school for 3-4 years now and just won't give up even though it is above their capabilities. Either type aren't very successful.

I'd listen to KHE. He is a successful private practice OD. If you can't take honest criticism you won't get far in life. I know a bunch of neurotic either happy go lucky people that are always positive 100% of the time or others that their heads are so thick and far up their bunholes that they've been trying to get into MD school for 3-4 years now and just won't give up even though it is above their capabilities. Either type aren't very successful.

I'm not trying to give out criticism. I'm just trying to point out that based on his test scores, optometry may not be the right career for him. (or her.) Even if he does ultimately gain admission somewhere, is he going to be any good at it?

I'm not trying to give out criticism. I'm just trying to point out that based on his test scores, optometry may not be the right career for him. (or her.) Even if he does ultimately gain admission somewhere, is he going to be any good at it?
Here's where I would disagree. Great test taking skills don't necessarily determine how good of a practitioner someone turns out to be. My optometrist/boss barely made it in optometry school, almost flunked out because of failing one class, but is now one of, if not the best optometrist I've ever met. This is because of how her personality synergizes with patients and how naturally she applies her optometric knowledge in the practical setting. The OAT isn't indicative of these traits at all.

But I will agree that having a low GPA and not being able to score above 300 is a problem, especially after trying so many times. The curriculum is bound to be demanding at every optometry school, and you'll need to have the study skills to make it through. It won't be classes that you cram for and then forget afterwards; you have to be able to learn and apply it if you want to treat patients properly. Definitely something to think about, cub0211!

Yes, test taking doesn't matter as much when you're practicing.

However, before you can practice, there are still the hurdles of national boards (I found part I to be much much harder than OATs), state boards, and/or fellowship.

Agree.

In my 1st year, we had a guy who'd been rejected 4 years in a row. He kept applying, took CC courses to up his GPA, retook OAT, & finally wore down admissions into accepting him. He flunked out by middle of the 1st year.

Also had a classmate who was still trying to pass part 1 of the NBEO 3 years after we graduated. She sells real estate now.

Here's where I would disagree. Great test taking skills don't necessarily determine how good of a practitioner someone turns out to be. My optometrist/boss barely made it in optometry school, almost flunked out because of failing one class, but is now one of, if not the best optometrist I've ever met. This is because of how her personality synergizes with patients and how naturally she applies her optometric knowledge in the practical setting. The OAT isn't indicative of these traits at all.

!

This paragraph begs some questioning...

1) How many optometrists have you "met" or worked with?
2) On what basis are you making the statement that she's the "best you've ever met?"

The OAT may not be indicative of personality traits but it certainly is indicative of other skill sets that are quite important in the practice of the profession.

I will say that the ADA did an OAT Validity study not too long ago and showed a strong correlation between OAT scores and success in optometry school.

Based on this study, chances are based on your OAT scores (especially in biology), you are going to have a tough time in optometry school and as a result, it will be a miserable 4 years for you. I think the others are right- you should be focused on finding a more realistic career option.

2) On what basis are you making the statement that she's the "best you've ever met?"

The OAT may not be indicative of personality traits but it certainly is indicative of other skill sets that are quite important in the practice of the profession.

Worked with. Besides her way with patients, I'm also basing it on my experience that she tends fixes refractive problems that other optometrists can't/neglect to fix. Of course I haven't experienced the care of every optometrist in the world, but she remains the best for me so far.

Which traits are you suggesting? The ability to retain and apply information? To think under pressure? Those are important but I wouldn't judge someone's abilities as an optometrist based solely based off of test scores.

Just out of curiosity, if you were an ADCOM member for some decent U.S. optometry school, which of the two would you invite for an interview and why:

Student 1:
    • cGPA: 3.4, Science GPA: 3.7
    • OAT scores: AA: 290, TS: 300
Student 2:
    • cGPA: 2.8, Science GPA: 2.9
    • OAT scores: AA: 380, TS: 400
And if you'd pick neither, please explain briefly why.

Just out of curiosity, if you were an ADCOM member for some decent U.S. optometry school, which of the two would you invite for an interview and why:

Student 1:
    • cGPA: 3.4, Science GPA: 3.7
    • OAT scores: AA: 290, TS: 300
Student 2:
    • cGPA: 2.8, Science GPA: 2.9
    • OAT scores: AA: 380, TS: 400
And if you'd pick neither, please explain briefly why.

Student 1's stats make me question the validity of their GPA. Not in that they cheated, but that they went to an easier school/had their grades overinflated.
Student 2's stats make me question their motivation. If they truly as intelligent as their OAT scores show, then why didn't they do better in undergrad? Will this apparent lack of motivation carry on over to optometry school which is significantly more difficult than undergrad? (I would also want to know the avg. GPA at that school/what their program was/etc.)

Both went to Harvard for undergrad.
Student 1's stats make me question the validity of their GPA. Not in that they cheated, but that they went to an easier school/had their grades overinflated.
Student 2's stats make me question their motivation. If they truly as intelligent as their OAT scores show, then why didn't they do better in undergrad? Will this apparent lack of motivation carry on over to optometry school which is significantly more difficult than undergrad? (I would also want to know the avg. GPA at that school/what their program was/etc.)

I'd pick student 2 with the higher OAT scores hands down. The OAT or many standardized tests are like an IQ test (let's see how many people start whining over this one even though you know its true).

You can study your butt off in college, never go out, live in the library and get an amazing GPA. This does not mean that you are highly intelligent and can quickly assess a situation and how to handle it. This does not mean you are efficient.

For those of you that took Psychology you should know the difference between crystallized intelligence and fluid intelligence. Fluid intelligence is tested more on standardized tests and given a situation/problem how quickly you can solve it. In some of my ocular disease classes people were whining that we "weren't taught the answer". Well in a lot of situations the presentation of the disease may be very unusual and you have to think on your feet. You can't be taught all the possible presentations/diagnoses because it is just too variable. There are very few golden rules in clinical practice and almost every patient/situation is different.

I actually like the MCAT more because it tests more fluid intelligence/abstract knowledge and the OAT tests more crystallized textbook memorization knowledge. But hey I wanted to only do Optometry.

Last edited:

To be honest, some of those are really low. Like KHE said, let's just disregard the first 2 attempts since this is a kinda of test that you have to practice and learn good test taking skills for. Now as for the 3rd attempt.... what was it exactly that you did? Did you take Kaplan or did you study from your undergrad notes? Did you take any prep courses or practice from those computerized tests designed to stimulate what the real OAT will be like?

If you didn't take Kaplan yet, I strongly recommend you do. And when you do, you really need to be on top of your work. Study everyday for a well designated amount of time. You'll need to practice all the practice exams they give you from their online program that simulate the OAT exam as well as their own mini quizzes/tests. Some questions seem redundant/repetitive, but it's all about practice in the end. OAT is all about having a solid foundation in the subjects and very good test taking skills. The skills you'll learn not only will help you on the OAT but also help you when you get into optometry school. Trust me... I've seen a change in my grades after studying for the OAT's and learning how to take tests. It changes how you look at the test questions and how you study for them if you weren't on the right track from the start.

Good luck with your studies and I hope to hear great news :)

also, another great resource to use is the OAT Destroyer book :) it has a lot of practice problems with good explanations for each!

I would apply to mcphs. My application was put on hold because of my GPA. But hey the more you apply the more chances you will get in. Plus it's not too late to add in another school into the application :) good luck!

Use Chad's Videos!!! I went from a 290, 290, 300 to a 340!! You can do it... it is hard. Take criticism and use it towards motivation in your studies.

Just wanted to let you know, I never forgot about this or your other replies within this thread... I got in. I completed my first year of OD school earlier this month at a well known, established, highly regarded school. Posted a very respectable GPA and couldn't be happier. I guess, maybe it is for me.

Just wanted to let you know, I never forgot about this or your other replies within this thread... I got in. I completed my first year of OD school earlier this month at a well known, established, highly regarded school. Posted a very respectable GPA and couldn't be happier. I guess, maybe it is for me.
Did you retake your oat again or did anything else to improve your application? Do you mind to share which school you are attending right now?

Did you retake your oat again or did anything else to improve your application? Do you mind to share which school you are attending right now?

I contacted the admissions office/director at each school I applied to. Phoned, emailed, wrote letters, attended in person. Discussed strengths and weaknesses and asked advice on how to become more competitive. By early December 2013 the plan I was most in favor of was completing a one year Masters Program in Biomedical Sciences at a well known institution to strengthen my application. By late January I completed the application for admission to a Big 12 University Masters and was granted admission in early February. I took this information and shared it with the optometry schools whom outlined that as an option they would like to see me pursue. To my surprise, within the next two months I had interviews and offers from two schools without needing to actually do the one-year Biomedical Sciences Masters. Direct message me for more information about which schools. Thanks!

I contacted the admissions office/director at each school I applied to. Phoned, emailed, wrote letters, attended in person. Discussed strengths and weaknesses and asked advice on how to become more competitive. By early December 2013 the plan I was most in favor of was completing a one year Masters Program in Biomedical Sciences at a well known institution to strengthen my application. By late January I completed the application for admission to a Big 12 University Masters and was granted admission in early February. I took this information and shared it with the optometry schools whom outlined that as an option they would like to see me pursue. To my surprise, within the next two months I had interviews and offers from two schools without needing to actually do the one-year Biomedical Sciences Masters. Direct message me for more information about which schools. Thanks!
Congrats!!! By reading your posts I knew you would make it. Glad you didn't let anyone get in the way of your success. :) Proves that the OAT does NOT necessarily determine one's success and intelligence level.