3rd year DO wanting to match Allopathic Neuro without Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SportsDOc2251

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year OMS who is looking to match an Allopathic neuro program without taking Step 1, I scored mid 5s on COMLEX level 1 and am going to take Step 2 along with Level 2 this summer. Will taking Step 2 without Step 1 be suffice for matching a Allopathic Neuro program?

I have 2 research projects that will be published soon, top 15-20 percent of my class, plenty of extracurriculars, working on LORs now. What are my chances of matching an allo neuro program?

Members don't see this ad.

A of program sites straight up says STEP1 is required. You should just search the websites of the programs you plan on applying to and see if that applies.

I don't remember any programs that didn't say step 1 is a requirement. The exam scores aren't just to show competence, they allow them to compare apples to apples. You're going to have to take step 1 so they can compare you to the rest of thet applicant pool.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't remember any programs that didn't say step 1 is a requirement.

Probably because you weren't looking for it. It is true that you'd have more options if you took Step 1, but a DO student friend of mine is getting interviews at some pretty good places with only Comlex, so I'm inclined to believe that many neuro programs don't require the USMLE.

With that out of the way, OP, if you want my advice, I'd take Step 2. It can only help you, assuming you don't fail.

Probably because you weren't looking for it. It is true that you'd have more options if you took Step 1, but a DO student friend of mine is getting interviews at some pretty good places with only Comlex, so I'm inclined to believe that many neuro programs don't require the USMLE.

With that out of the way, OP, if you want my advice, I'd take Step 2. It can only help you, assuming you don't fail.

If he's more likely to fail step 1 than do well and there's a solid number of programs that don't ask for STEP 1, I can understand. But from the info OP posted about himself he seems like a smart guy who does well as what he sets him mind to. Given that, I don't see why he'd want to put a significant limit on where he can match over one exam after already having invested so much time/energy in medical school.

There are a good number of programs that don't ask for Step 1. If the OP can walk in now and take it, fine, but you have to ask how long ago he took Comlex 1 because if he needs study time that isn't easy to do during 3rd year. At least it wasn't during my 3rd year rotations. I'm not saying he shouldn't do it. I'm just saying it isn't mandatory that he does. If the OP has the time to review and take it, then yes you should. Just remember to take a practice test first and sit for it only if you're scoring above where you want to be.

Thank you all for the very informative replies, you brought up my next dilemma which is to take step 1 now. I took COMLEX Level 1 in June so it has been a few months since I was well prepared for Step 1. However if many programs will accept just COMLEX level 1, I won't take take Step 1 do to that fact that studying enough to do as well as I think I could may be difficult during 3rd year rotations. Please let me know any insights, advice, comments you all have. Thank you

I'm in the same boat as the OP, I got a <500 on my COMLEX level 1 on the first attempt. I opted not to take the USMLE for safety reasons. I am thinking about Step 2 since most of our shelf exams are from the NBME.

If you don't mind, could you please message me or post a list of the programs that your friend is getting interviews at?

Thanks a bunch!